PDA

View Full Version : Who's Going To The Final Four?

Rocky Raccoon
03-14-2006, 10:34 AM
and winning it all?

your thoughts?

phunwin
03-15-2006, 02:05 PM
I'm a wuss, but I'm talking the chalk: Connecticut, Nova, Duke, Memphis.

I think Duke, 'Nova and UConn are heads and shoulders above the rest, and Memphis is simply blessed with a bracket where no one's going to topple them.

UConn beats Duke in the final.

King Felix
03-16-2006, 12:31 AM
final four:duke ucla uconn florida

ucla vs uconn

champ: Conneticut (sp?) huskies

Kobe
03-16-2006, 02:25 AM
Duke, Gonzaga, Illinois, Ohio State (Big Ten :woot:)

Illinois National Champions, Finally...

MikeO
03-16-2006, 02:30 AM
LSU, UCLA, UCONN, BC

LSU over BC in the finals.

I liked Nova up until Ray went down last week, he won't be the same player. That team sorta scares me now. I think Duke is a bit overrated. I avoid Big 12 teams at all costs. Florida chokes like a dog every year. So, I mixed things up a bit.

Rocky Raccoon
03-16-2006, 01:46 PM
I'm a wuss, but I'm talking the chalk: Connecticut, Nova, Duke, Memphis.

I think Duke, 'Nova and UConn are heads and shoulders above the rest, and Memphis is simply blessed with a bracket where no one's going to topple them.

UConn beats Duke in the final.

that is EXACTLY how my bracket looks...I'm in a pool with my whole family and everyone is giving me a hard time because I picked the favorites. But my point is that they're favorites for a reason, and they're supposed to win (and I think these teams will) and when was the last time all 4 number 1's made it to the final four? ...a long time ago.

MikeO
03-16-2006, 01:57 PM
that is EXACTLY how my bracket looks...I'm in a pool with my whole family and everyone is giving me a hard time because I picked the favorites. But my point is that they're favorites for a reason, and they're supposed to win (and I think these teams will) and when was the last time all 4 number 1's made it to the final four? ...a long time ago.

3 #1's haven't made it to the final four in like 20+ years or something. Let alone 4!

GreenMonster
03-16-2006, 02:02 PM
Uconn, Texas, Pitt, Ohio State

Uconn over Texas

I really want to see Uconn vs Duke 3 so we can once again prove that we are better than Duke.. Like Andy Katz wrote Marcus Williams is the most important player in the tourney, if he plays aggressive and we get running on teams, watch out.. 3 in 7 years in this era would be mighty, mighty, impressive..

GreenMonster
03-16-2006, 02:03 PM
3 #1's haven't made it to the final four in like 20+ years or something. Let alone 4!

Shhhh.... This is how I win these brackets..

GreenMonster
03-16-2006, 02:04 PM
LSU, UCLA, UCONN, BC

LSU over BC in the finals.

I liked Nova up until Ray went down last week, he won't be the same player. That team sorta scares me now. I think Duke is a bit overrated. I avoid Big 12 teams at all costs. Florida chokes like a dog every year. So, I mixed things up a bit.

I like LSU too, have them beating Duke, but losing to Texas.. Not sold on BC yet, they have proven anything in the tourney yet, although this could be the year with some more experienced players..

byroan
03-16-2006, 02:06 PM
I like Monmouth, Southern, Albany, and Oral Roberts.

Then I like Oral Roberts over Southern. Albany over Monmouth.

I have Oral Roberts winning it all.

Boik14
03-16-2006, 03:27 PM
Nova, Uconn, UCLA, West VA

Nova over UCLA in the finals.

SMadison29
03-16-2006, 03:49 PM
Texas, UCLA, UConn, Nova

Nova over Texas in the finals

Nappy Roots
03-16-2006, 05:01 PM
Texas, Gonzaga, UConn, BC

is what i got. great pick with BC eh?

Buddwalk
03-16-2006, 05:18 PM
LSU vs Gonzaga
UCONN vs Villanova

Roman529
03-16-2006, 09:54 PM
I have Florida over Memphis in the Finals (Championship Game).....can't remember the other two in my final four.

nyjunc
03-17-2006, 10:46 AM

4 has never happened but 3 has happended 3 times since 1993. In '93 the best FF field ever w/ 3 1's and a 2(1's UNC, Mich, UK and the 2 was KU), in '97 3 1's and a 4(1's UNC, Minny, UK and the 4 was 'Zona) and '99 3 1's and a 4 although the 4's record was just stripped(OSU). the 3 1's in '99 were UConn, duke and MSU.

I got lucky yesterday, 2 of my 4 FF picks escaped(Indiana and BC). My other 2 are UConn and LSU.

nick1
03-17-2006, 12:53 PM
Florida, UConn, Duke and drumroll please... Alabama

Duke over UConn is the final game

phunwin
03-18-2006, 05:53 PM

Coincidence does not equal causation. #1 seeds still advance to the Final Four more than any other. I'm nearly certain we haven't had 3 #2 seeds in the Final Four during that same period, or 3 #3s, or for that matter 3 of ANY of the same seed in the Final Four in that time. Duke's fate in the Atlanta bracket has absolutely nothing to do with Connecticut's fate in the DC bracket.

Edit: I see nyjunc has completely disproven the fallacy that 3 #1s can't make the Final Four. I should have read farther before responding.

In any event, you have to judge the teams against their competition in that particular year. Does anyone in their right mind SERIOUSLY doubt that Duke, Connecticut and Villanova, in some order, were the three best teams in college ball this year? IMHO, it's insanity to pick anyone else from those brackets to make the Final Four.

As I said, I think Memphis is simply blessed with a weak bracket. I don't think they're appreciably better than Texas or OSU. But they are better than UCLA, and now Kansas is gone from that bracket.

MikeO
03-18-2006, 06:49 PM
In any event, you have to judge the teams against their competition in that particular year. Does anyone in their right mind SERIOUSLY doubt that Duke, Connecticut and Villanova, in some order, were the three best teams in college ball this year? IMHO, it's insanity to pick anyone else from those brackets to make the Final Four.

'

Well, UCLA doesn't have to leave their home state in the 1st two rounds. That is a huge home court advantage. Which is why I picked them for the final 4. LSU (aside from UCONN) has the most raw talent on a single team, which is why I picked them in their bracket (plus I think Duke can be had). I picked UCONN (now I wish I didn't) for the same reason, raw talent. And as long as Ray's eye stays in his head I like Nova in that region.

Skeet84
03-18-2006, 07:22 PM
The Vols loose after they barely beat Winthrop! Alot of teams have not looked really good, Or alot of underdogs trying to get the job done!

phunwin
03-19-2006, 12:45 PM
Florida, UConn, Duke and drumroll please... Alabama

Hope you didn't put any money into a bracket pool.

If you did, take heart, I actually had THREE guys in my pool put Kansas in the Final Four.

GreenMonster
03-19-2006, 02:45 PM
NBA GM's should get a look at 2 great young PG's today in Rondo and Williams.. I like Rondo, but for the life of me I can't believe this guy is ranked higher than Marcus Williams, other than the fact he plays much better D..

phunwin
03-19-2006, 04:33 PM
NBA GM's should get a look at 2 great young PG's today in Rondo and Williams.. I like Rondo, but for the life of me I can't believe this guy is ranked higher than Marcus Williams, other than the fact he plays much better D..

I would think it's at least partly because no one really expects Williams to declare for the draft. Also, Williams' "character flaws" may have something to do with it. You can't go stealing computers and expect people to forget about it right away.

phunwin
03-19-2006, 07:21 PM
So long, Heels. If Georgetown loses today, it'll be a great day for ol' Phunwin.

nick1
03-19-2006, 09:28 PM
Hope you didn't put any money into a bracket pool.

If you did, take heart, I actually had THREE guys in my pool put Kansas in the Final Four.
no I just did it for fun

djfresh47
03-19-2006, 09:38 PM

I think Rondo should go back to UK for another year, he would be a 1st rd pick but he needs to become a more consistent offensive player.

banzaitrey
03-19-2006, 10:46 PM
Here was my prediction for the Final Four...Memphis over Duke and Conn over Florida with Memphis beating Conn for the Championship...Memphis is my team and everyone is saying that they had the easiest bracket...Even though 2 of 3 losses were top 7 teams and the other was top 20 team...They are very quick and they have games where they can simply dominate and I think that they will

phunwin
03-19-2006, 10:59 PM
Well, if Memphis had the easiest bracket coming in, they certainly don't now. Connecticut's road to the Final Four has practically been paved. Washington and then either Wichita State or George Mason? The only challenge will be getting sloppy (admittedly, a concern for those of us that picked UConn to win it all).

Meanwhile, after they dispose of Bradley, Memphis will get either UCLA or Gonzaga, either of whom are likely to essentially be a home team in Oakland. No easy chore.

GreenMonster
03-19-2006, 11:09 PM
Well, if Memphis had the easiest bracket coming in, they certainly don't now. Connecticut's road to the Final Four has practically been paved. Washington and then either Wichita State or George Mason? The only challenge will be getting sloppy (admittedly, a concern for those of us that picked UConn to win it all).

Meanwhile, after they dispose of Bradley, Memphis will get either UCLA or Gonzaga, either of whom are likely to essentially be a home team in Oakland. No easy chore.

As a Uconn fan I drool over the rest of our bracket.. The Huskies of Wash are decent but we should win, and then we get a mid major to goto the F4.. Again sloppy play today stopped a blowout from happening.. Josh Boone has gotten worse somehow as the year has gone on.. Can't say that for most players..

nick1
03-19-2006, 11:30 PM
Florida has an easy road ahead to the final four, Georgetown shouldn't be much of a problem at all and Nova won't be able to handle Florida. Florida has looked like one of the more dominant teams up to this point

MikeO
03-20-2006, 12:25 AM
Florida has an easy road ahead to the final four, Georgetown shouldn't be much of a problem at all and Nova won't be able to handle Florida. Florida has looked like one of the more dominant teams up to this point

G'town will beat them!

Boik14
03-20-2006, 12:51 AM
Nova, Uconn, UCLA, West VA

Nova over UCLA in the finals. survived 3 2nd rd squeakers. whew. Nice job nova, uconn, ucla playing down to the level of competition! Just keep winning though (knock on wood)

nick1
03-20-2006, 08:11 AM
G'town will beat them!
we'll see

phunwin
03-20-2006, 10:19 AM

Um...yeah, aside from that team from Philly that was ranked #1 for a fair chunk of the season and came into the tournament as the #2 overall seed. Aside from that, it's clear sailing.

nick1
03-20-2006, 11:39 AM
Um...yeah, aside from that team from Philly that was ranked #1 for a fair chunk of the season and came into the tournament as the #2 overall seed. Aside from that, it's clear sailing.
I meant that Georgetown shoudn't be much of a challenge and I don't know about you but I think Nova is the weakest #1 seed.

BTW Florida was also a #1 ranked team for a good part of the season

GreenMonster
03-20-2006, 11:44 AM

Nova won't be able to handle Florida because Florida went 10-6 in the SEC.. Florida has been good, and better as the season goes on after that stretch in the middle but Nova has been top notch all year long..

nick1
03-20-2006, 11:53 AM
Nova won't be able to handle Florida because Florida went 10-6 in the SEC.. Florida has been good, and better as the season goes on after that stretch in the middle but Nova has been top notch all year long..
it will be a good game don't get me wrong but Florida has a better team in my opinion

Kobe
03-20-2006, 02:32 PM
I personally think Memphis is the weakest number one seed.

nick1
03-20-2006, 02:35 PM
I personally think Memphis is the weakest number one seed.
maybe they are we'll see, I think the final four will now be Florida, UCLA, Duke, and UConn. I have no doubt that Duke and UConn are the two best teams

banzaitrey
03-20-2006, 02:53 PM
If Memphis wins against Bradley we can beat UCLA/Gonzaga...We have already beat both of them this year...People are forgetting that we lost to duke by only 3 points and Rodney Carney absolutely shut down J.J. Redick in that game in the 2nd half...he had no points in the final 20 minutes

nick1
03-20-2006, 02:58 PM
If Memphis wins against Bradley we can beat UCLA/Gonzaga...We have already beat both of them this year...People are forgetting that we lost to duke by only 3 points and Rodney Carney absolutely shut down J.J. Redick in that game in the 2nd half...he had no points in the final 20 minutes
the tornament is a totally different situation, UCLA will shut down Morrison and Gonzaga and than beat Memphis. UCLA is on a real hot streak right now. everyone on UCLA is shooting well and they have a good defense