PDA

View Full Version : Official PS3 Launch Details Thread

mor911
03-14-2006, 05:23 PM
Well, the time is coming and everyone is getting excited. Sonyhas confirmed that they are having a confrence in Japan tomorrow and the PS3 and details of it's launch should be there. It takes place tomorrow at 3pm (our time).

Hopefully they'll shed some light on the following rumors:

- PS3 is delayed until November of 2007
- Will cost upwards of $800
- Is hell to develope for
- Is not as powerful as they make it seem
- Issues with the processor overheating

What do you guys think?

http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=15333

Deus Ex Dolphin
03-14-2006, 06:14 PM
Well, let's see how Sony might respond to those rumors:

PS3 is delayed until November of 2007?

Even as I NEVER believed a word of Sony and a Spring 2006 PS3 launch, I don't see such a long delay either. Sony may just say they'll have a November launch, but fail to detail in what region, letting fans just assume/hope it will be North America and/or Europe in 2006.

Will cost upwards of $800?

That is an INSANE price, though it might be closer to what Sony is shelling out to make a PS3 at first. I'd expect no less than $499 for a basic system, and maybe $599 for a bundle package.

Is hell to develop for?

Sony will deny any developer struggles, instead focusing on the "power" of the Cell chip. They will also promise better development tools.

Is not as powerful as they make it seem?

See above. Sony will again talk about Gflops or other numbers that have little value in real-world applications, but that do build hype for the PS3. A few more CGI "game movies" would help too.

Issues with the processor overheating? Nonsense, of course. Sony has an excellent reputation for solid hardare -just ask them. :wink: Really though, this is quite probably overblown, and on early hardware anyway. It will be interesting how Sony does in % of defective units versus what MS and the Xbox 360 went through. As consoles get more complex to build, the defects will tend to creep in. Customer service is critical in that event, and MS has a solid rep for getting things done fast.

Until reviewers and such can get hands-on time with the PS3 hardware and some games? We only get to know what Sony wants us to know. I really want to see this Cell chip in action, and see how it compares to the second gen of 360 games. If the Cell chip is so good, there should be a clear difference between the systems -but I think it will be pretty close.

Mike13
03-14-2006, 09:18 PM
$800.00?!

Medieval954
03-14-2006, 11:31 PM
A delay to November 2006 for Japan pretty much means a 2007 release for North America and that will be dangerous giving a 2 holiday headstart to Microsoft's Xbox 360. Not to mention Nintendo's "Revolution", with it's rumored low price point, is still set to launch here in November 2006 as well.

By the way, the 3 pm local time meant 3 pm in Tokyo, which, if I'm not mistaken, is 1 am here, which is roughly about 3 hours away. It'll be interesting to see how Ken Kutaragi spins this if it's true.

Deus Ex Dolphin
03-15-2006, 10:02 AM
November it is, though Sony says it is going for a Japanese/American/Euro launch ala MS and the Xbox 360! You can read more details here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4807858.stm

The other big news was that the PS3 is supposed to ship with a 60 GB hard drive -but no price was given. I'm calling it $600. I also think Sony will struggle to provide anywhere near enough consoles at launch, with at least the Euro launch being delayed until Spring 2007.

Sony says finalising agreements on disc copy protection technology for the Blu-ray drive is responsible for the delay. Interesting, since Blu-ray players will be out in a few months anyway. Just admit you need more time to finalize the PS3 hardware and manufacture enough consoles for a launch, okay Sony? I NEVER believed in a Spring launch for the PS3 anyway, and I still have major doubts about a world-wide launch, as I suspect Sony is just trying to delay gamers from grabbing an Xbox 360 as soon as they learn they won't see a PS3 until 2007.

Either way, reality will hit when only a handful of people can find a PS3 this Holiday 2006, then they must wait a few more months, or grab a 360 or even Nintendo Revolution.

mor911
03-15-2006, 10:05 AM
November, looks good! I wish they'd list some launch titles already.

Motion
03-15-2006, 10:30 AM
November it is, though Sony says it is going for a Japanese/American/Euro launch ala MS and the Xbox 360! You can read more details here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4807858.stm

The other big news was that the PS3 is supposed to ship with a 60 GB hard drive -but no price was given. I'm calling it $600. I also think Sony will struggle to provide anywhere near enough consoles at launch, with at least the Euro launch being delayed until Spring 2007.

Sony says finalising agreements on disc copy protection technology for the Blu-ray drive is responsible for the delay. Interesting, since Blu-ray players will be out in a few months anyway. Just admit you need more time to finalize the PS3 hardware and manufacture enough consoles for a launch, okay Sony? I NEVER believed in a Spring launch for the PS3 anyway, and I still have major doubts about a world-wide launch, as I suspect Sony is just trying to delay gamers from grabbing an Xbox 360 as soon as they learn they won't see a PS3 until 2007.

Either way, reality will hit when only a handful of people can find a PS3 this Holiday 2006, then they must wait a few more months, or grab a 360 or even Nintendo Revolution.

So who do you hate more? Sony or the Patriots? :evil:

Deus Ex Dolphin
03-15-2006, 01:20 PM
So who do you hate more? Sony or the Patriots? :evil:

Tough call. :D Both are necessary evils, I guess. The Pats so I can enjoy when the Phins beat them, Sony to help compete with MS and so improve gaming for all of us.

My main issue with Sony is just the constant stream of hype/lies they sell to the public.

Spring launch? That was NEVER going to happen, just Sony trying to slow down Xbox 360 sales by making some think the PS3 "was just a couple months away" from release.

Now this crap about "finalizing of disc copy protection" pushing the PS3 launch to November 2006? :rolleyes2 Nevermind many developers won't have final dev kits until mid-May or so. And games? There was never going to be games ready for Spring 2006, though November should allow Sony to have a decent number of launch games.

I'm interested in the PS3 if Sony comes through with full web browsing support, though they promised this for the PS2 and it never happened.

There is also the question about needing the hard disk for games, but Sony never said if that 60 GB HD would be included with the PS3. How insane is that? I guess it would let Sony price the PS3 at $399, then charge $150 for the seperate HD -in case, you know, you actually wanted to play games. :lol:

From TeamXbox website:

At the Sony's PlayStation business briefing, Kutaragi revealed that a HDD will be required for games but it wasn't clear if the hard drive will ship with the units or not.

"The hardware was developed with the hard disk in mind," Kutaragi said at the event. "We view the hard drive to be mandatory for the PS3. Rather than have developers create games for the PS3 with or without the HDD, we will be asking them to develop games as though all PS3s have the HDD installed."

He continued saying that Sony hopes to avoid a situation where some units have the hard drive and others don't but then he said Sony "might end up installing it in all PS3s, though that depends on the market".

So it's not clear if the PlayStation 3 will come with a hard drive or not but then how is it possible that all games require the hard drive if the company doesn't include one with every unit?

I know, news from an Xbox website, feel free to look around for a more "neutral" site if you like.

AquaInferno
03-15-2006, 02:17 PM
I was guesstimating Novemberish 06 - Early 07 anyway. I'm alright with that, all I need is Metal Gear Solid 3 substinance, Kingdom Hearts II and Madden 07 to make it thro the year with my PS2. I Might as well pick up Liberty City stories too. If your stickin w/ Sony, you will not be at a loss of games for the PS2.

Motion
03-15-2006, 02:53 PM
So glad they are including the HD.

Caps
03-15-2006, 05:02 PM
I figured it would be out around the holidays this year. That's fine with me, there's enough good games comming out for PS2 to tide me over.

Prime Time
03-15-2006, 08:45 PM
I doubt it is being delayed till 07...and doubt it is 800 dollars. If it is...forget it...Ill stick to Ps2...or get an XBOX 360.

UltraDol-Fan
04-05-2006, 03:29 PM
check this article out, Sony let slip the price of the European PS3

http://gear.ign.com/articles/700/700258p1.html

mor911
04-05-2006, 04:14 PM
check this article out, Sony let slip the price of the European PS3

http://gear.ign.com/articles/700/700258p1.html
That looks like a rumor... There's NO WAY in hell they can make that thing that expensive. The Mor's a gear junkie... I splurge and buy all the new techie gamer crap... I wouldn't buy ANY console for that much money.

305TillIDie
04-05-2006, 04:18 PM
man.. i just hope its not 800... wow:eek:

UltraDol-Fan
04-05-2006, 04:50 PM
I bet it's the truth, the guy is the VP, he's gonna know how much it costs...unless he is just throwing that out there to see how the market responds

Mike13
04-05-2006, 09:20 PM
That looks like a rumor... There's NO WAY in hell they can make that thing that expensive. The Mor's a gear junkie... I splurge and buy all the new techie gamer crap... I wouldn't buy ANY console for that much money.

Yeah, I wouldn't shell out $700.00 for a PS3. Yet there are others who would be willing to spend that much.

Majpain
04-06-2006, 12:52 AM
I still think it will cost 400-500 bucks.Anything above that forget it.

Deus Ex Dolphin
04-06-2006, 01:42 AM
I bet it's the truth, the guy is the VP, he's gonna know how much it costs...unless he is just throwing that out there to see how the market responds

That was my first thought, that Sony is "slipping out" info to see how people react to it. If they scream, Sony can claim nothing was official, and bring the price down a bit.

I think the PS3 will be $599, and that MAY NOT include a hard drive. That means a $700 bundle, but I bet Sony could get 1-2 million to spend that kind of money. After the hardcore fans though, others will wait for it to get under $500.

Motion
04-06-2006, 06:42 AM
I still think it will cost 400-500 bucks.Anything above that forget it.

I agree

mor911
04-06-2006, 09:37 AM
Ok, Sony finally opened their mouths and commented on this..

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=15937

The idea that Fornay's mention of 499 to 599 Euro price ranges was an indication of the PS3's price point is "a mistranslation or misunderstanding of the discussion, which was actually focused on the relative value of PS3 as a Bluray Disc player," according to SCEE corporate communications director Nick Sharples.

While Sharples' clarification of Fornay's comments doesn't actually shed any new light on the question of PlayStation 3's price point - the opposite, if anything - it does open up the possibility that the firm could be planning to introduce the console at a price lower than the 500 Euro / $500 mark.
When the company talks about "current video games machines," it is almost certainly excluding the Xbox 360 from the equation, and talking specifically about the PSP and PS2 platforms - with the implication being that the pricing will fall somewhere well above their price points (between 150 and 180 Euro) but well below the pricing of Bluray devices (between 600 and 800 Euro).
That's an enormous range, of course, but it does leave open the potential for the PS3 to launch at the 400 Euro price point - exactly the same space that was occupied by the Xbox 360 premium pack when it arrived late last year.
So basically, we're at square one... Nobody knows. :tongue:

Motion
04-06-2006, 11:54 AM
Ok, Sony finally opened their mouths and commented on this..

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=15937

So basically, we're at square one... Nobody knows. :tongue:

Pretty much. I still don't see it going over $500.