PDA

View Full Version : Sony Postpones PlayStation 3 Release

BAMAPHIN 22
03-15-2006, 11:44 AM
Sony will put off the release of its much awaited PlayStation 3 console until November from its planned spring debut because of delays in finalizing its next-generation optical disc technology, the company said Wednesday.

Ken Kutaragi, the head Sony's video games division, made the announcement at a hastily called news conference after reports of the delay surfaced in the business daily Nihon Keizai Shimbun and other papers.

The PlayStation 3 is critical for Sony Corp's profits and brand image, so the delay is a major setback for the Japanese electronics and entertainment company as it struggles to mount a recovery after several years of poor earnings.

The reports sent Sony's stock tumbling 1.8 percent to 5,470 yen ($46) Wednesday. Kutaragi announced the decision after the close of the Tokyo Stock Exchange.

The new timeline means that the PlayStation 3 will still hit store shelves simultaneously in Japan, North America and Europe, just in time for Christmas.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060315/ap_on_bi_ge/japan_sony;_ylt=Ag4Cae34F2vkOn9S2nKXRwCs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3ODdxdHBhBHNlYwM5NjQ-

AquaInferno
03-15-2006, 02:22 PM
Yeah I think Sony will do everything in their power to get this thing to us by holiday season 2006. If they gave it to us early 07 they'd be missing too much on sales. Realistically I don't see what would take so long between Japan/USA launch because I'd imagine if you threw in a Blu-ray drive region 1 that's what makes the thing North American. Who knows I could be way off tho, I know **** about makin consoles, I only know how to fix em.

Pagan
03-15-2006, 02:51 PM
Par for the course from Sony. They've delayed the release of pretty much every system they've put out. No big deal.

If it lets them iron out some bugs, power to 'em.

Mike13
03-15-2006, 10:59 PM
Par for the course from Sony. They've delayed the release of pretty much every system they've put out. No big deal.

If it lets them iron out some bugs, power to 'em.

Yeah its no big deal, I expected that. I would rather have a completed PS3, than a buggy crappy one.

NTLumberjack
03-15-2006, 11:56 PM
Yeah its no big deal, I expected that. I would rather have a completed PS3, than a buggy crappy one.

Buy Sony stock NOW! lol

When they release that baby right before Christmas the stock will blow up!

Madden anyone?