PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 - Tokyo Report

JPhinfan86
03-17-2006, 06:56 AM
Well it's no surprise that Microsoft launched an enormous campaign all across Japan in the months leading up to the launch of XBOX 360 with advertisement tools such as an ENORMOUS XBOX 360 with a huge screen built in the side in three major cities. This large scale push was due to the fact that the original XBOX wasn't something the Japanese recieved very well.

It seems at this point that Microsoft's efforts have been a failure for the most part. One store in Tokyo had 240 XBOX 360's stacked by the counter (live product) with little or no draw. That is absolutely unheard of Stateside. At work we rarely get them in let alone keep them in stock.

Relative to time passed since launch, 360 has done worse in terms of units sold compared to the original XBOX. Seeing as how that venture was considered a failure you can pretty much guess what this means for the 360 at this point. One thing the 360 had going against it is the fact that the cost per unit (core or premium package) is more expensive in Japan that it is here in the U.S.

I have no doubt that Microsoft could have pushed more units if they hadn't launched close to PS3's launch (relatively speaking). The Japanese are pinching their pennies to pour into their hometown console and that has been a killer for Mr. Gates.....company. :lol:

Deus Ex Dolphin
03-17-2006, 06:05 PM
The only hope for MS and the 360 in Japan is the Japanese produced RPGs coming later this year. If those don't spur 360 sales in Japan -than nothing will. The fact is the Japanese prefer a Japanese gaming console, while Euro and American gamers don't care much either way.

BTW, it will be almost a FULL year by the time the PS3 is out in Japan since the launch of the Xbox 360 there. Not much more that MS could have done to get the system out earlier.

mor911
03-17-2006, 07:17 PM
That's kinda funny now that you mentioned it... Not that race or ethinicity should have anything to do with it. It's interesting that Japanese gamers want to play a japanese-made console, support their own... American gamers also want a Japanese console. You'd think that American gamers would want to support our economy by blowing your next gen $500 on an American product. But I guess games are like cars that way. American made isn't nessaserily the best.

Deus Ex Dolphin
03-17-2006, 07:32 PM
Well, besides Atari, it has been Japanese companies making consoles for the past 20+ years. Most Japanese gamers prefer "Japanese style" games (RPGs and dating sims for example) while FPS games like Halo or Quake sell poorly over there.

The Xbox and Xbox 360 are the first "American" systems in about 20 years, and there is lot of ground to make up. I'm pretty happy with the progress MS has made in just 5 years though.

Look at what Sony is planning for the PS3. It is a carbon copy of what MS has done already with the Xbox/Xbox 360.

Hard drive? Check.

Online service? Check.

Wireless controllers? Check.

HDTV support? Check.

I love seeing Sony and MS try to outdo each other. In the end, Sony may sell more PS3 consoles thanks to the Japanese market, but I think they split the American and Euro markets with MS.

Nintendo is the real wild card this generation. A cheap system with an innovative controller might really catch on. Even if just as a "second" system for some gamers.