PDA

View Full Version : Is this a computer virus? Computer Wiz's Help Please

Fresh
03-19-2006, 09:58 AM
Last night I restarted my computer; wasn't giving any problems at all. I restarted it because Firefox was giving problems (not windows related though). Now, whenever I turn on my computer, when Dell starts loading before Windows loads, I get this message:

Alert! Chipset heat sink not detected.
System halted!

And I can't do anything; but I have a load of important files that need to be kept in case I need a new computer (I'm on my laptop, which is strictly for college use). Anybody know what this is and how I can get rid of it? Thanks in advance.

FIN-IN-RI
03-19-2006, 10:34 AM
That's weird..

Did you drop or otherwise bang into your computer?

Open the sucker up and check to see if either of your chipsets have their heatsinks properly mounted..

If they are, then remove the circular battery from the motherboard for about 20 seconds and re-insert it.. power back up and see if you have the same problem..

Be sure to unplug the power cord and touch the case of the PC with your bare hands for about 10 seconds before touching any component on the Motherboard.

Fresh
03-19-2006, 12:00 PM
I opened it up and apparently, the Chipset heatsink was found loose in there, but I dunno how to properly put it back? Might have to take it to Best Buy; that would probably be the best option?

FIN-IN-RI
03-19-2006, 12:15 PM
I opened it up and apparently, the Chipset heatsink was found loose in there, but I dunno how to properly put it back? Might have to take it to Best Buy; that would probably be the best option?

Definitely.

It's not a difficult thing to do but to be on the safe side, take the PC to Best Buy or CompUSA and they will piece it together good as new.

I'm glad that you found the problem. It's not a big deal. :up:

Fresh
03-19-2006, 07:07 PM
yeah, thanks for the help man. Luckily, I've got my laptop to use for now...I'm gonna take it out to Best Buy tomorrow.

King Felix
03-19-2006, 11:46 PM
wow watch out for the price tag.