PDA

View Full Version : The Day Music Died!

Buddwalk
03-19-2006, 05:32 PM
March 19th 1982

Today 24 years ago one of the greatest guitarist ever died in an unfortunate plane crash accident.

Randall William Rhoads was born on December 6, 1956. Randy started taking guitar lessons around the age of 6 or 7 at a music school in North Hollywood called Musonia. His first guitar was a gibson acoustic which belonged to his father. When Randy was 14 he was in his first band Violet Fox, named after his mothers middle name violet...but they only lasted about 4-5 monthes. He was famous for being in quiet riot and playing evil riffs with ozzy.

In the latter part of 1979, at the request of a friend (Dana Strum), Randy went to audition for a band being put together by former Black Sabbath lead singer, Ozzy Osbourne. As the story goes: Ozzy had auditioned just about every guitarist in Los Angeles and was about to go home to England, the hopes of a new band washed away. Enter Randy Rhoads. Randy wasn’t completely interested in auditioning, he was happy with his current band and thought that this "audition" wouldn’t amount to much. As with Kevin DuBrow, Randy's first meeting/audition with Ozzy Osbourne has a few variations:

A.) Randy walked into Ozzy’s hotel room late one evening with a guitar and a small Fender practice amp, plugged in and started tuning his guitar. He did a few warm up exercises and got the job as Ozzy Osbourne’s lead guitarist at age 22.

B.) Randy walked into a Ozzy's studio/rehearsal place late one evening with a guitar and a small Fender practice amp, plugged in and started tuning his guitar. He did a few warm up exercises and got the job as Ozzy Osbourne’s lead guitarist at age 22.

C.) Ozzy was first introduced to Randy in a bar where someone introduced him to Ozzy as his (Ozzy's) "next guitarist".

Approximately 9:00 a.m. on the morning of March 19th, Andrew Aycock took Rachel Youngblood and Randy Rhoads up for a few minutes. During this trip the plane began to fly low to the ground, at times below tree level, and "buzzed" the bands tour bus three times. On the fourth pass (banking to the left in a south-west direction) the planes left wing struck the left side of the bands tour bus (parked facing east) puncturing it in two places approximately half way down on the the right side of the bus. The plane, with the exception of the left wing, was thrown over the bus, hit a nearby pine tree, severing it approximately 10 feet up from the bottom, before it crashed into the garage on the west side of the home owned by Jerry Calhoun. The plane was an estimated 10 feet off the ground traveling at approximately 120 - 150 knots during impact. The house was almost immediately engulfed in flames and destroyed by the crash and ensuing fire, as was the garage (pictured) and the two vehicles inside, an Oldsmobile and a Ford Granada. Jesse Herndon, who was inside the house during the impact, escaped with no injuries. The largest piece of the plane that was left was a wing section about 6 to 7 feet long. The very wing that caught the side of the tour bus, was deposited just to the north of the bus. The severed pine tree stood between the bus and the house.

Ozzy Osbourne's first two solo albums featuring Randy Rhoads have sold over 6 million copies combined!!! :buddwalk:

RIP Randy Rhoads :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo:

HysterikiLL
03-19-2006, 05:35 PM
:( Rip

cnc66
03-19-2006, 05:41 PM
blasphemous children... February 3, 1959 , the day the music died.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/03/trio-1.jpg

Ducken
03-19-2006, 06:20 PM

http://www.fiftiesweb.com/trio.jpg

Thats what I was thinking.

d-day
03-19-2006, 06:24 PM
i met randy before he died - he signed my diary of a madman insert before an ozzy show i saw in rochester, n.y. - he was the whole reason i became a guitarist - i remember ozzy did dave lettermans show a few days later - i have it downloaded somewhere - i'll try and post it for you budd

Buddwalk
03-19-2006, 06:37 PM
i met randy before he died - he signed my diary of a madman insert before an ozzy show i saw in rochester, n.y. - he was the whole reason i became a guitarist - i remember ozzy did dave lettermans show a few days later - i have it downloaded somewhere - i'll try and post it for you budd

thx bro I will greatly appreciate if you post that video. Awesome deal man, i'd give anything to meet randy rhoads and see him in concert...you are truely lucky

Ohio Fanatic
03-19-2006, 09:06 PM

HAHA! thx CNC, exactly what I was thinking. I love Randy but, jeez, talk about ripping off the real thing!

Buddwalk
03-19-2006, 09:08 PM
HAHA! thx CNC, exactly what I was thinking. I love Randy but, jeez, talk about ripping off the real thing!

There was good music after those died...after randy died the age of music was slim to none. Very few bands were good after randy :yes:

CharlestonPhan
03-19-2006, 09:26 PM

always knew that story about Buddy Holly et al. but never knew until he died a few years ago that Waylon Jennings gave up his seat on the plane to the Big Bopper... as i recall one or the other was sick, and either Waylon didnt want to fly, or Bopper wanted to get home sooner.

may they, as well as Randy Rhoads, rest in peace.

Buddwalk
03-19-2006, 11:52 PM
bump :buddwalk:

Roman529
03-20-2006, 12:23 AM
I also was thinking about Ritchie Valens, Buddy Holly and the Big Bopper but Randy was special too...just listen/watch the Crazy Train video....the music also died when Stevie Ray Vaughan's helicopter crashed many years ago. :boohoo: 08-27-1990 R.I.P. Stevie.

Buddwalk
03-20-2006, 12:55 AM
I also was thinking about Ritchie Valens, Buddy Holly and the Big Bopper but Randy was special too...just listen/watch the Crazy Train video....the music also died when Stevie Ray Vaughan's helicopter crashed many years ago. :boohoo: 08-27-1990 R.I.P. Stevie.

:yeahthat: