PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best strategy game...

NewEra8
03-20-2006, 07:36 AM
Whats the best strategy game that out for PC right now? I have some extra time on my hands and looking to pick something up later today. Just wanted some opinions...

Phinz420
03-20-2006, 07:55 AM
Well, it depends on your flavor of RTS. I have C&C Generals installed on my PC atm, but Ive heard great things about the new Lord of the Rings : Battle for Middle Earth 2. There was also a star wars RTS that came out recently as well, have heard mixed reviews about it(if your die hard star wars its great but not so much if your looking for a good RTS). Other than those, theres the popular Civilization IV and also Age of Empires III. All of those strategy games are guranteed to deliver, its just a matter of what style of RTS you are looking for.

NewEra8
03-20-2006, 08:00 AM
Well, it depends on your flavor of RTS. I have C&C Generals installed on my PC atm, but Ive heard great things about the new Lord of the Rings : Battle for Middle Earth 2. There was also a star wars RTS that came out recently as well, have heard mixed reviews about it(if your die hard star wars its great but not so much if your looking for a good RTS). Other than those, theres the popular Civilization IV and also Age of Empires III. All of those strategy games are guranteed to deliver, its just a matter of what style of RTS you are looking for.
Yeah I have the C&C, AOE, and Civ collections. I might end up gettin LOTR Middle Earth... seems like the only option out right now. Ive heard the same type of review about the StarWars game that your talking about, but I have to admit, the commercials look pretty tight... So I dunno. Thanks for the input...

NewEra8
03-20-2006, 08:02 AM
(Amazon reviews are some of the most confusing things ever)

NewEra8
03-20-2006, 08:04 AM
Anybody ever played either Black & White 2 or Galactic Civilization 2?

unifiedtheory
03-20-2006, 09:43 AM
Star Wars - "Empire at War" has been taking up a lot of my time lately. I'm a Star Wars junkie so that review is a bit slanted. I love it though. There are a few things that are'nt good about it though. I find it too easy.

Am I the only one who still thinks that the old school "Command and Conquer - Red Alert/Yuri's Revenge" is still the best game of it's type? I could'nt stand Generals. I think they screwed up a good thing....typical EA.

I've always wanted to see Command and Conquer bring out a version using real World War II weapons and nations with HUGE maps and a smarter computer AI...I don't think I'll ever get my wish though.

mor911
03-20-2006, 09:44 AM
Still (and always will be) Starcraft :D

NewEra8
03-20-2006, 09:52 AM
Star Wars - "Empire at War" has been taking up a lot of my time lately. I'm a Star Wars junkie so that review is a bit slanted. I love it though. There are a few things that are'nt good about it though. I find it too easy.

Am I the only one who still thinks that the old school "Command and Conquer - Red Alert/Yuri's Revenge" is still the best game of it's type? I could'nt stand Generals. I think they screwed up a good thing....typical EA.

I've always wanted to see Command and Conquer bring out a version using real World War II weapons and nations with HUGE maps and a smarter computer AI...I don't think I'll ever get my wish though.
Im with ya... I agree it went downhill with Generals... it deffinitely would be awesome though to have something like youre talking about. You might enjoy Hearts of Iron. Although its more of a "Risk" type game, but can keep WWII enthusiast busy for a looonnng time...

Im not an extreme Star Wars fan, but I enjoy it. Is it worth buying?

SirDrums
03-20-2006, 06:34 PM
My fav strat game is Rome:Total War. Its a huge game though and takes a lot of free time.

Timmy54
03-20-2006, 10:54 PM
i love Civ, really has great replay value!!!

mor911
03-21-2006, 12:54 AM
i love Civ, really has great replay value!!!
Good point!

Hands down, Civ4... Best strat game ever!

miamikid92
03-21-2006, 11:05 AM
i think its age of empires, doesn't matter which one

NewEra8
03-21-2006, 10:18 PM
For anybody whos interested... LOTR Battle for Middle Earth 2 is pretty tight. Basically War Craft on steroids. Only downfall is, its 6 CDs worth of downloading and you need atleast 5.5 GBs of space to download it all. If ya have the space, its an awesome game....

Jal
03-24-2006, 04:34 PM
My fav strat game is Rome:Total War. Its a huge game though and takes a lot of free time.

Rome: Total War is also my favorite. I'm playing a campaign ATM as the Greeks and have finally reached the point where I am building Spartan Hoplites. I'm going to need them because I have a huge war brewing with the Egyptians.

Rome: Total War is definitely a time burner. I also can't wait for Medieval 2: Total War to come out as well.

Amars
03-24-2006, 10:31 PM
Herzog Zwei great game from the gensis days

ricky williams
03-26-2006, 10:38 PM
chess or the original panzer general

Majpain
03-27-2006, 12:54 AM
Civ 4 for turnbase

Age of Empires 3 for real time.