PDA

View Full Version : Brees KNOWS he made a mistake!

spiral
03-20-2006, 09:50 AM
I don't know if you all watched NFL network's interview on him last week but it struck me kind of odd, the way Brees was forcing himself to sound happy during the interview. He kept repeating the "Everything happens for a reason" mantra which to me was his way of sidestepping his obvious disappointment. Even when he was introduced at N.O.'s press conference, he wasn't as happy as I'd expect someone to be.

I'm proud of the way our front office handled this QB process. Even if Brees was our first choice all along, we still sent a message to all of the other FA's (and their agents) out there that you will NOT dictate what gets done, we will be fair, but we will not overpay. Kudos with chocolate chips to Mueller and Saban on this!

So Brees, and every other Free Agent to come calling in the future be careful what you a$k for...

BALLS DEEP
03-20-2006, 10:01 AM
I hope he has loads of fun getting paid. Because that's about all he'll get in NO. Their current coach is nothing but a band-aid.

jaxdolfan
03-20-2006, 10:03 AM
I hope he has loads of fun getting paid. Because that's about all he'll get in NO. Their current coach is nothing but a band-aid.

This speaks more to the fact that Brees needed to collect as much money as possible at signing....he probably knows that his playing days are numbered.

bigmiamifan
03-20-2006, 10:20 AM
Well, if the NO FO is mad PUBLICLY at Saban for making them overpay, Brees can't feel like they really wanted as bad as the payday seems. He said NO wanted him more and paid more because of it. Then, NO is slamming Saban for making them overpay? Then the NO is basically a one year deal, not long term guaranteed like he wanted. Suddenly Brees can't feel like he's in a great place long term that broke the bank because they greatly wanted him.

Yea, everything does happen for a reason, we picked up Dante instead!

Se7eN
03-20-2006, 10:24 AM
yea i think NO is trying to get free agents but its kind of hard when u dont know were ur gonna be playing in the next couple years(san antonio or LA) maybe and then i mean they housing areas are probably still all messed up and im sorry for that its horrible but people dont wanna move into that i think maybe he went to were he could get the most money because he realizes his shoulder is bad and might not be playing to many years

MetrySaint
03-20-2006, 10:24 AM
feel better now? Why are you spending so much time bashing Brees if he is a washed up, no armed, only-in-it-for-the-money type of player? Shouldn't you be spending more time being happy about getting Culpepper instead of bashing a loser player who signed with a loser team? Had Brees come down on his price, he'd be a Dolphin, and then you would be stuck with the same washed up, no armed quarterback. It's a good thing Mueller and Saban weren't "really" interested in bringing in someone with such horrible characteristics.

Agent Mulder
03-20-2006, 10:27 AM
Miami didnt sign Brees mainly because of what their doctors said about his shoulder.

MetrySaint
03-20-2006, 10:30 AM
Well, if the NO FO is mad PUBLICLY at Saban for making them overpay, Brees can't feel like they really wanted as bad as the payday seems. He said NO wanted him more and paid more because of it. Then, NO is slamming Saban for making them overpay? Then the NO is basically a one year deal, not long term guaranteed like he wanted. Suddenly Brees can't feel like he's in a great place long term that broke the bank because they greatly wanted him.

Yea, everything does happen for a reason, we picked up Dante instead!

Publicly mad at Saban? NO is slamming Saban for making them overpay? Is that fact or speculation, since the offer Brees signed was made before he went to Miami? NO has to overpay right now since Katrina. Sorry, but Saban didn't force the Saints to overpay, Katrina and a lousy owner forced the Saints to overpay.

cnc66
03-20-2006, 10:33 AM
how can choosing the team willing to give him twelve miliion MORE dollars over the next two years be a mistake. There is not one of you that would throw away that much money. If Drew comes back up to speed, N.O. paid a fair price. We just got lucky and got Daunte on the cheap.

Bjorn
03-20-2006, 10:36 AM
Brees failed his physical, and that's why we didn't sign him.

jaxdolfan
03-20-2006, 10:43 AM
Chad Pennington could kick Brees' buttocks.

DoLpHiNz34
03-20-2006, 10:44 AM
Publicly mad at Saban? NO is slamming Saban for making them overpay? Is that fact or speculation, since the offer Brees signed was made before he went to Miami? NO has to overpay right now since Katrina. Sorry, but Saban didn't force the Saints to overpay, Katrina and a lousy owner forced the Saints to overpay.

There was an article about it...but I do believe there was a bit of speculation. Anyways, I kind of agree with your previous statement about bashing Brees. It really needs to stop. I can't blame him for wanting to get paid and I'd bet most of the guys on this board would not be taking a couple million dollars so lightly if it were their millions. I hope he recovers well and plays well for the Saints because he's been a stand up guy through out all the crap he's had to deal with in San Diego and FA.

finmann
03-20-2006, 10:45 AM
I don't know if Brees made a mistake, he was offered a boat load of money and he gladly accepted it. I think what surprised Brees is that Miami went out signed Culpepper relatively quickly after having a meeting with him. That caught him and all of us off guard.......he really had no place else to go.

Tpaddle
03-20-2006, 10:47 AM
I guess money talks more than wins.........

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif What's on his cheek? A "L" for loser!:dolphins:

oldfinfan
03-20-2006, 10:47 AM
I don't know if you all watched NFL network's interview on him last week but it struck me kind of odd, the way Brees was forcing himself to sound happy during the interview. He kept repeating the "Everything happens for a reason" mantra which to me was his way of sidestepping his obvious disappointment. Even when he was introduced at N.O.'s press conference, he wasn't as happy as I'd expect someone to be.

I'm proud of the way our front office handled this QB process. Even if Brees was our first choice all along, we still sent a message to all of the other FA's (and their agents) out there that you will NOT dictate what gets done, we will be fair, but we will not overpay. Kudos with chocolate chips to Mueller and Saban on this!

So Brees, and every other Free Agent to come calling in the future be careful what you a$k for...

Who cares !! Life goes on...we are spending way too much time on what has transpired. Brees...who is he ?

We should all be satisfied with our feelings that our coaching staff made the right decision...that is it.

Over and done with this Brees crap...

DeDolfan
03-20-2006, 10:48 AM

Oh well, he who hesitates is lost.........**** or git off'n tha pot !!!! :D :D

L.T.21
03-20-2006, 10:49 AM
Brees failed his physical, and that's why we didn't sign him.

Besides the usual ESPN "rumors" is there any solid proof, besides speculation that he "failed his physical?" ---or is it just a haunch?

Tpaddle
03-20-2006, 10:50 AM
Also, I think Chuck Norris told Drew to fail his physical so he could go to NO. Chuck is so smart that he makes everyone else look inferior. Chuck also created the "football" while shooting "Walk, Texas Ranger!!"
:dolphins: :dolphins: :dolphins: :dolphins: :dolphins: :dolphins:

GazPhin
03-20-2006, 10:51 AM
...he and his agent made a play based on his priorities - money over success. He won, whether he came here or went to NO. As far as his playing career goes - you know a superbowl is difficult to achieve even if you are Dan Marino - so it's all about the business angle. I think I'd have made the same choice, if I weren't an avid FIns fans in which case I'd pay to play!

FIN-IN-RI
03-20-2006, 10:53 AM
Besides the usual ESPN "rumors" is there any solid proof, besides speculation that he "failed his physical?" ---or is it just a haunch?

He failed the Dolphins physical.. I'm almost certain that there was an official press release indicating as such.

Saint Greg
03-20-2006, 10:56 AM
yea i think NO is trying to get free agents but its kind of hard when u dont know were ur gonna be playing in the next couple years(san antonio or LA)

We know exactly where the Saints are playing....The Superdome on sept 24th.

Lungoystr
03-20-2006, 11:01 AM
Ya know, the way I look at things is...........it's over. He has gone to N.O. so more power to him. We have our man and we are going to more forward. Let's not dwell on this guy anymore. We have a bright future ahead. :up:

MetrySaint
03-20-2006, 11:03 AM
There was an article about it...but I do believe there was a bit of speculation. Anyways, I kind of agree with your previous statement about bashing Brees. It really needs to stop. I can't blame him for wanting to get paid and I'd bet most of the guys on this board would not be taking a couple million dollars so lightly if it were their millions. I hope he recovers well and plays well for the Saints because he's been a stand up guy through out all the crap he's had to deal with in San Diego and FA.

As a long suffering Saints fan, I hope he recovers too. I think Culpepper is going to flourish big time in Miami once he knee heals, and it's good to see Miami with a real QB for the first time since Dan the Man retired. I think both teams will be very happy things worked out the way they did by the end of the season.

zach attach
03-20-2006, 11:09 AM
Im not hatin' on the man, but me being someone who will never make his kind of money, I sorta hope he stinks it up. I mean, it is very obvious, go where you will get rings, or get paid. He was close in S.D., but he has taken alot of steps backward.

Also, he says he wants to go to a place to raise his family...N.O.?? I only know it as a party place and a disaster area. Aint hatin' on N.O. either, but there must be better places to raise a family.

DeDolfan
03-20-2006, 11:15 AM
He failed the Dolphins physical.. I'm almost certain that there was an official press release indicating as such.

Not sure of the validity of this, but I think I remember something that Sabn had lost interest after seeing his medical report. Whetehr or not he had an actual physical or not, I don't really know.

MetrySaint
03-20-2006, 11:17 AM
Im not hatin' on the man, but me being someone who will never make his kind of money, I sorta hope he stinks it up. I mean, it is very obvious, go where you will get rings, or get paid. He was close in S.D., but he has taken alot of steps backward.

Also, he says he wants to go to a place to raise his family...N.O.?? I only know it as a party place and a disaster area. Aint hatin' on N.O. either, but there must be better places to raise a family.

There are places in the N.O. area that great places to raise a family. Obviously, Brees isn't going to move to a condo on Bourbon Street or to an area like the lower 9th ward which was a war zone before Katrina, much less a wasteland since. And his kids won't be students in the N.O. public school system. But there are several suburbs that suffered minor damage that were and still are flourishing around the N.O. area that are no different than any other city in the country. N.O. isn't nearly the size of Miami, but there is more to the Greater New Orleans Area than Bourbon Street and housing projects.

cnc66
03-20-2006, 11:19 AM
There are places in the N.O. area that great places to raise a family. Obviously, Brees isn't going to move to a condo on Bourbon Street or to an area like the lower 9th ward which was a war zone before Katrina, much less a wasteland since. And his kids won't be students in the N.O. public school system. But there are several suburbs that suffered minor damage that were and still are flourishing around the N.O. area that are no different than any other city in the country. N.O. isn't nearly the size of Miami, but there is more to the Greater New Orleans Area than Bourbon Street and housing projects.

do you live there Metry ? If so I feel for ya bro, Katrina left you a mess.

Bjorn
03-20-2006, 11:21 AM

I heard it here L.T.

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=131558

FIN-IN-RI
03-20-2006, 12:04 PM
Not sure of the validity of this, but I think I remember something that Sabn had lost interest after seeing his medical report. Whetehr or not he had an actual physical or not, I don't really know.

yeah man, it was something to that effect.. not quite sure the specifics myself

Aqua and Orange
03-20-2006, 12:15 PM
Moleface should have taken our earlier offer. "Everything happens for a reason" is right in our case too, because his insistance for more money prompted us to delve deeper and we got the healthier QB.

Mr772
03-20-2006, 12:43 PM

I don't think brees had much of a choice when all was said and done we made the choice for him. But at least he took the saints for 10 mil, suckers!!

3Ply Stagliano
03-20-2006, 12:57 PM
As a long suffering Saints fan, I hope he recovers too. I think Culpepper is going to flourish big time in Miami once he knee heals, and it's good to see Miami with a real QB for the first time since Dan the Man retired. I think both teams will be very happy things worked out the way they did by the end of the season.
Thanks MetrySaint, I hope Drew plays well for the Saints and can help your team turn the corner. San Diego was a worse team in terms of win/loss ratio (or at least appeared to be) when he got there and he was part of helping improve them greatly (although I'm sure you wouldn't say no to a package deal including L.T., Antonio Gates and some of the San Diego front seven, so Brees can't take all the credit).

Here's hoping a new QB and coaching staff can get things on track for New Orleans. It's about time you got to enjoy watching your favourite team go deep into the playoffs (and that's not me being cheeky by the way).

KevInMotion
03-20-2006, 01:11 PM

its not speculation my friend. it's been stated a couple times that the NO front office is angry at the situation. and that saban boosted up the price and they paid more then they had to

LarryFinFan
03-20-2006, 01:13 PM

I think it's time to move on from the Brees thing...it's over, he's with another team...hating on him or supposing his true feelings have nothing to do with nothing...besides, how will we feel it DC is still sidelined in October ??? That's a real possibility....

BBsuck
03-20-2006, 01:18 PM
how can choosing the team willing to give him twelve miliion MORE dollars over the next two years be a mistake. There is not one of you that would throw away that much money. If Drew comes back up to speed, N.O. paid a fair price. We just got lucky and got Daunte on the cheap.

Also Daunte wanted to play for us and the fans in Florida....HUGE plus...

I'm glad Drew went were the money was, He got what he wanted...We got what we needed...a QB that wants to be here..a win win for everyone.:cooldude:

Calgaryfin
03-20-2006, 01:19 PM

His agent was too smart, by half!:sidelol:

FanMarino
03-20-2006, 01:26 PM

If we had got Brees i would have been happy but only if we 1.Got him healthy and 2.At a cheaper price.
Brees is a decent QB who deserves to go to better team IMO. I hope for the Saints he does do well and they get some results. I dont feel bad about not getting Brees because weve got a great replacement in Culpepper and its great to have a native Florida guy who WANTS to be here.
Brees just has to suck it in now and concentrate on getting the Saints some wins which he ceratinly can do. Rivers is no better than Brees IMO.

BBsuck
03-20-2006, 01:28 PM

I was watching Nfl network week in review and I got the same impression...Looked to me like he got what he wanted just not in the place he wanted it o be in.....He was saying the politically correct things to the media and the Saints...but I believe behind closed doors he & his wife wanted to be in Miami...Can you blame him??????....Like the old Wendy's commercial (Miami Style)...Where's the beech.:evil:

fin1
03-20-2006, 01:35 PM

You're a class act dude. Good luck to your team this year. I hope Brees works out. I 've changed my thoughts about Culpepper since I've seen him the last couple of weeks. He honestly looks like hes happy to come home. I think it can only motivate him to play at a high level.:dolphins:

tylerdolphin
03-20-2006, 01:40 PM
What is with the Brees hate? Real classy. Shows great for fin fans!
Face it. Nobody here would turn down 10M extra dollars just to play for the Dolphins if they have no allegance to them.
Admit it. I wanted Brees. Everyone wanted Brees. We were all obsessed with him. He was the greatest QB ever. He went to NO and now he sucks.
We got a better QB. Forget about it.

County Of Dade
03-20-2006, 01:41 PM
I think its about time people around here let the Brees thing go. IMO I prefer Culpepper, as he is a better fit in our offense, his injury is less of a question mark for a QB, and hes from Florida.

But even if you loved Brees, theres no point in bashing the guy. It just makes you sound hypocritical and ignorant. And there is certainly no reason to bash New Orleans or the Saints. We've been through enough Hurricanes to know better. I just got back from New Orleans, and things are looking pretty bleak even now.

BBsuck
03-20-2006, 03:13 PM
Who is bashing The Saint's Or NO ?????:confused: No one is saying Brees sucks now.....It just seamed he wasn't so pumped up for the press conf that was shown on the NFL network...He didn't act real happy like Dante did...These are the cards we were delt with, not a bad hand..

MetrySaint
03-20-2006, 03:19 PM
do you live there Metry ? If so I feel for ya bro, Katrina left you a mess.

Born and raised in Metairie, wife and I moved to the Northshore last year. Parents house in Metairie had foot and a half of water, so they are living in a FEMA trailer right now. Things are definitley not what they used to be, even in Met. but compared to certain parts of N.O. proper, Met. made out good. Northshore had plenty of trees down but not a lot of water. One misconception that is made is that the Saints spend all their time in the city, when in fact they only spend 10 days a year in the actual city, which of course is game day. (and unless you live in N.O. most people wouldn't know or really even care about that) Their training facility is in Metairie, which (the Saints' headquarters) fared very well in the storm, in fact it was one of the few high spots in the area. They had minimal damage to their headquarters. FEMA had taken over the Saints' facility and was using it as a compound for emergency operations after the storm. By all reports, after FEMA left, the Saints facility was in just as good shape, if not better, than before the storm. Anyway, maybe too much info, but I appreciate the comments.

MetrySaint
03-20-2006, 03:23 PM
You're a class act dude. Good luck to your team this year. I hope Brees works out. I 've changed my thoughts about Culpepper since I've seen him the last couple of weeks. He honestly looks like hes happy to come home. I think it can only motivate him to play at a high level.:dolphins:

Thanks, as are you and most here at finheaven.com. After watching how Saban has worked with lesser QB's at LSU (in relation to skill level) there is no doubt someone with the talent of Culpepper can really elevate the Dolphins to the next level. Heck, if Saban can get the Dolphins to 9-7 with the QB's he had last season, the sky is the limit once Culpepper gets comfortable with the system. I just hope his knee heals up correctly, because one of Culpepper's biggest attributes is his mobility, particularly once he starts getting that big body moving downfield.

MetrySaint
03-20-2006, 03:26 PM
its not speculation my friend. it's been stated a couple times that the NO front office is angry at the situation. and that saban boosted up the price and they paid more then they had to

I'll believe it's not speculation when I see a quote from someone that states that the Saints upped the ante after Brees left Miami to go back to Birmingham. Until then, it's speculation, and ultimately irrelevant because no matter what the Saints paid, they got the guy they wanted.

cnc66
03-20-2006, 03:30 PM
Born and raised in Metairie, wife and I moved to the Northshore last year. Parents house in Metairie had foot and a half of water, so they are living in a FEMA trailer right now. Things are definitley not what they used to be, even in Met. but compared to certain parts of N.O. proper, Met. made out good. Northshore had plenty of trees down but not a lot of water. One misconception that is made is that the Saints spend all their time in the city, when in fact they only spend 10 days a year in the actual city, which of course is game day. (and unless you live in N.O. most people wouldn't know or really even care about that) Their training facility is in Metairie, which (the Saints' headquarters) fared very well in the storm, in fact it was one of the few high spots in the area. They had minimal damage to their headquarters. FEMA had taken over the Saints' facility and was using it as a compound for emergency operations after the storm. By all reports, after FEMA left, the Saints facility was in just as good shape, if not better, than before the storm. Anyway, maybe too much info, but I appreciate the comments.

na, not too much. I live in Jensen Beach and thank God we didn't get hit by a major hurricane but I have been in the eye of three hurricanes in 13 months, so I can appreciate. I told everyone who would listen they should make a pilgramage to the affected areas, that it really does change your perception when as far as you can see in all directions there is destruction. Glad you fared well.

Roman529
03-20-2006, 03:32 PM
Brees went from a team with LT that was a regular playoff team, to an organization that doesn't know whether it will keep it's team in town or even have a stadium. He left the beautiful San Diego area to go to a city that is still devestated. He went from maybe being with the Phins to being with the AINTS......I hope the money makes you feel good Drew....you blew it..but I think the Phins got the QB they wanted.

Sethdaddy8
03-20-2006, 03:56 PM

Unless he shares the same fate as Chad Pennington, and secured himself and his family 10 mil. for nothing, then yes, he made a mistake.

WindyCityDolfan
03-20-2006, 04:11 PM

It is not about anyone of us throwing away that much money, none of us would "throw it away", it is about reducing it slightly to play for a winner and build your career and legacy.....I think a lot of us may have taken 7 million instead of 10 million to be in the right situation....either way you get a boatload of money.

finmann
03-20-2006, 04:24 PM
I .....I think a lot of us may have taken 7 million instead of 10 million to be in the right situation....either way you get a boatload of money.

You sure about that? Maybe you would, but the majority of the population wouldn't take 3 million dollars less. That's alot of money......

rasta1966
03-20-2006, 04:41 PM
I think the intent of this thread was not to bash Brees but instead to somewhat praise Saban and Mueller. They wanted Brees but at the PRICE they felt was FAIR. And I think it should send a message to other furture FA the Dolphins will not overpay.

Also it is not unheard of to take less money to go or stay at one job as oppose to going to another. I even think there are people on this board who could tell you stories of turning down a few extra thousands a year to work at a place where they were happier and in an organization that was going places. And that is comparable to these athletes, how much more enjoyable can I get between 8million and 10 million(and with the state tax in LA vs none in FLA how much extra is that 2 million?) Heck Lavar gave the Redskins back 2 million to LEAVE. Hey the rumor had "Agent" Culpepper wanting 10 million to stay in Minn but comes here and restructures his deal,that has got to say something.

In the end no disrespect to NO or to Brees but Dante seems to be alot happier (for now anyway) here in Miami.

Agent Mulder
03-20-2006, 09:04 PM

It was in the Miami papers

SamBoSqueezy
03-20-2006, 09:12 PM
I'd Rather Have DC Anyway He Can Run When The Pocket Brakes Down

AlexKhan
03-20-2006, 09:30 PM
Since Brees is still a topic of discussion... I'd say the Cowboys shoulda ponied up and gotten a Brees, or even a Ramsey or McCown, rather than blowing their cash on T.O. I think Brees would've done well in Parcells' offense. (with MeShawn) The Drew Deadslow to Terrell Owens honeymoon will be very short-lived.

Oh well. Sucks to be everybody, except US. :D

finfan54
03-20-2006, 09:40 PM
I guess money talks more than wins.........

http://tahoecelebritygolf.com/Players/images/brees-drew.jpg What's on his cheek? A "L" for loser!:dolphins:

Its the state of California.

TarHeelFinFan
03-20-2006, 09:47 PM
Why do some of you people have to keep piling on Brees? If you were truly satisfied with Daunte over Drew you'd just let it go. Instead you have to keep finding ways to justify what happened. No justification is necessary. Out of all parties involved only Minnesota loses from what went down.

burghPhinFan
03-20-2006, 10:48 PM
I agree. Compare DB's PC with DC interview w/ Kramer. Now that was happy

southjerzmastax
03-21-2006, 02:29 AM
who cares forget brees i hope he rots in hell over in n.o.