PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else think The Sopranos sucked BADLY last night?

Pagan
03-20-2006, 01:38 PM
I'm starting to think that this is the most overrated show on TV. I don't know man, last season dragged except for a few episodes, and last night's "Tony's dreaming" episode sucked hard.

Enough of the Tony dream episodes. That's two so far....two too many.

PS - Carmela without makeup. Yikes.

tucker
03-20-2006, 02:44 PM
it was kinda stupid...it's tony if he wasn't a mob boss....look at the suttle changes in his demeanor and speech....higher shoulders, clearer speech, etc.....and it was set-up for what looks like the beginning of the end of the "family"..but ya it looks like ish will hit the fan soon

dominizzo
03-20-2006, 02:50 PM
Big time

NJFINSFAN1
03-20-2006, 03:03 PM
I'm starting to think that this is the most overrated show on TV. I don't know man, last season dragged except for a few episodes, and last night's "Tony's dreaming" episode sucked hard.

Yes, I almost turned it off twice, but I kept thinking it had to get better.

It didn't!

sdotbailey
03-20-2006, 03:47 PM
i thought it was interesting. the whole reason the show blew up in the first place way back when was because there was more of a psychological edge to it ie dr. melfi. i think they are trying to be different again and it's good. the last two seasons have been predictable. they split up and get back together, introduce someone everyone likes or hates and then kill them. that's a tradition now and it shouldn't be that way. i think the show is looking just fine.

Buddwalk
03-20-2006, 03:54 PM
Honestly pagan I've never seen the show :rolleyes:

Pagan
03-20-2006, 04:08 PM
i thought it was interesting. the whole reason the show blew up in the first place way back when was because there was more of a psychological edge to it ie dr. melfi. i think they are trying to be different again and it's good. the last two seasons have been predictable. they split up and get back together, introduce someone everyone likes or hates and then kill them. that's a tradition now and it shouldn't be that way. i think the show is looking just fine.
So tell me, are you the writer, the producer, or an HBO stockholder? :lol:

Just messing with ya.

NJFINSFAN1
03-20-2006, 04:36 PM
So tell me, are you the writer, the producer, or an HBO stockholder? :lol:

Just messing with ya.

:sidelol:

PS

I love the open wound!

A: That does not happen in that area
B: They don't change the dressings in fron of family!

d-day
03-20-2006, 04:39 PM
Honestly pagan I've never seen the show :rolleyes:

i haven't either... :couch:

UncleCosmic
03-20-2006, 05:40 PM
I liked it for a couple of reasons: It gave the actors a chance to stretch out their wings a little(Carmela's grief, Christopher's "family" ties, etc.), and set up what I think will be an interesting storyline-AJ's transition into "the Business" and the power struggle between Silvio, Paulie, and Vito.

Two things I have noticed so far this season: Paulie seems frustrated a lot, like he should be higher on the totem pole than he is, and Vito is creeping me out. I think he is/has turned on the Family, or will at some point. Did anyone else catch his little reasoning in trying to explain why Gene Pontecorvo hung himself? "Maybe he was gay and didn't feel he could tell anyone. That happens." I thought that was funny since Finn caught him in the car at the jobsite with the security guard....

Pagan
03-20-2006, 05:54 PM
I liked it for a couple of reasons: It gave the actors a chance to stretch out their wings a little(Carmela's grief, Christopher's "family" ties, etc.), and set up what I think will be an interesting storyline-AJ's transition into "the Business" and the power struggle between Silvio, Paulie, and Vito.

Two things I have noticed so far this season: Paulie seems frustrated a lot, like he should be higher on the totem pole than he is, and Vito is creeping me out. I think he is/has turned on the Family, or will at some point. Did anyone else catch his little reasoning in trying to explain why Gene Pontecorvo hung himself? "Maybe he was gay and didn't feel he could tell anyone. That happens." I thought that was funny since Finn caught him in the car at the jobsite with the security guard....
I agree with you on that Cosmo, but they could have done all that without wasting 18 minutes of the show on a stupid dream sequence, no?

phins17
03-20-2006, 05:55 PM
Real Big Time Suck. I can't believe they even wasted file on that episode.

NaboCane
03-20-2006, 07:09 PM
Every one of the ten shows this season will set up the five/six-episode mini-season next January, where the series will resolve itself.

I thought it was slow episode last night in parts, but overall I was more moved by this one than any I've seen since season 2. It can't all be gunfights and hits, give it some time.

Besides, this is the last season of a show that - I don't know about you, but it has given me the most viewing pleasure over the last 7 years of any show except the Law & Order trilogy.

Let's savor it, shall we? I think this is the season that's meant to be enjoyed like a fine scotch, not just knockin' 'em back to get plowed.

:wink:

NaboCane
03-20-2006, 07:14 PM
Every one of the ten shows this season will set up the five/six-episode mini-season next January, where the series will resolve itself.

I thought it was slow episode last night in parts, but overall I was more moved by this one than any I've seen since season 2. It can't all be gunfights and hits, give it some time.

Besides, this is the last season of a show that - I don't know about you, but it has given me the most viewing pleasure over the last 7 years of any show except the Law & Order trilogy.

Let's savor it, shall we? I think this is the season that's meant to be enjoyed like a fine scotch, not just knockin' 'em back to get plowed.

:wink:

CORRECTION - and this is pretty exciting news - it's going to be TWELVE episodes this year, and they decided to do EIGHT episodes next January!

ShaqandWade323
03-20-2006, 07:35 PM
I'm gonna watch it tonight.

sdotbailey
03-20-2006, 11:59 PM
none of the above. i watch a lot of movies and stuff and i'm into the whole what's the meaning bs. but, if you think about it, the sopranos, for all the greatness in it, has gotten stale at times. all tony does now is get mad and yell. so, i thought it was good.

it did catch me by surprise though when AJ said that. i wonder what's really going to happen.

Pagan
03-21-2006, 12:00 AM
I dunno...to me last night was more like a cross between "ER" and "The Twilight Zone" than the Sopranos. :wink:

Roman529
03-21-2006, 12:44 AM
Didn't Tony get shot? Who did it? Did Tony die? Isn't Carmella the chickie from the movie Assault on Precinct 13 with the nice rack? :D

HysterikiLL
03-21-2006, 02:05 AM
The Sopranos has fed off 3 extremely good seasons. That was the first three...it's been all down hill from there

sdotbailey
03-21-2006, 03:22 AM
so, someone pointed these things out to me.

tony is in purgatory right now. he's in costa mesa (which may as well be hell) and there are fires all around the city.

the name kevin finnerty is a play on the word infinity.

the light at the end of the show at the airport is important, it's leading to something huge in the show. "light at the end of the tunnel" stuff.

Dubfire
03-24-2006, 11:15 PM

Relax dude. You cannot have it all happen in the first 2 episodes.

Coral Reefer
03-25-2006, 12:13 AM
The Sopranos has fed off 3 extremely good seasons. That was the first three...it's been all down hill from there

I couldn't agree more.
The first 3 seasons were fantastic.
Since then they've just gotten worse little by little.
The story has just played itself out too long IMO.

Pagan
03-25-2006, 02:46 AM
Relax dude. You cannot have it all happen in the first 2 episodes.
That's funny..."24" seems to make it happen in EVERY episode. :wink:

Bro, it sucked. Let's leave the "artsy" stuff to artsy shows. They could have delved into the other characters wondering who was going to take control if Tony died instead of Tony having a coma dream about a life he has no concept whatsoever of.

Dubfire
03-25-2006, 02:10 PM

Bro, it sucked. Let's leave the "artsy" stuff to artsy shows. They could have delved into the other characters wondering who was going to take control if Tony died instead of Tony having a coma dream about a life he has no concept whatsoever of.

The bloodshed starts tomorrow night. I gurantee it.

Daytona Fin
03-25-2006, 08:03 PM
i love the sopranos but was disappointed with last weeks episode. there was an article i read in my local newspaper about the sopranos. this guy said he got to view the first 6 episodes of the new season and he said episodes 2-4 were very boring but 5 and 6 were back to sopranos style. so look for some more dullness to the series in the coming weeks. please stop with the dreams i cant take it anymore tony.

Roman529
03-26-2006, 10:59 PM
Tonight's episode was ok....I liked when they broke into that place and fought it out with those guys and one guy got kicked in the balls, and the others shot and knifed. Tony sure is making big bucks laying in bed...get up already!!! :wink:

Dubfire
03-27-2006, 10:32 PM
Ok. Much better episode for all you impatient mofos that dont appreciate the beauty of symbolism surrounding Tony's character.

I say that Vito and Paulie are gone by episode 5 or 6. What they did tonight was so wrong its not even funny. Think Carmela does not know that if Tony had never woken up, they'd of never given her that money? Think she wont tell Tony?

Paulie is gone and Silvio will be the man to do it. Vito is too.

Caps
03-27-2006, 11:01 PM
I loved the shootout in the beginning, I don't think I've ever laughed out loud in a scene where people were just getting blown apart like that since I saw Desperado.

I thought the dream sequence was average in episode 2, but I really enjoyed the one in this episode. The symbolism with the house in the woods with the light everywhere was superb. And I loved seeing Tony B. at the door waiting to welcome Tony to the afterlife.

You can tell there is going to be a serious bloodbath coming soon. Within the family, you can tell Vito and Paulie are going to get their's very quickly. And maybe, which is what I'm personally hoping for, there could be a war with New York brewing.

Dubfire
03-27-2006, 11:14 PM
I dont understand the thirst for bloodshed.

Not that I don't enjoy it, but the drama and the characters are what drive the show.

The bloodshed will come but to me the show is at it's best when its doing the character study that has gone on in the first 3 episodes this season.

Gonzo
03-27-2006, 11:17 PM

I am about to start renting the 24 seasons. I started watching the first season, missed two episodes, and have been lost ever since. It's too hard to watch it on even a weekly basis. Luckily, no commercials...

Rocky Raccoon
03-27-2006, 11:20 PM
I am about to start renting the 24 seasons. I started watching the first season, missed two episodes, and have been lost ever since. It's too hard to watch it on even a weekly basis. Luckily, no commercials...
Gonzo I STRONGLY suggest you buy the seasons...it won't let you down. I promise you. You will be hooked in no time. Jack Bauer will be your hero and you WILL buy Jack Bauer lunch boxes and pajamas.

best.show.ever

Coral Reefer
03-27-2006, 11:22 PM

IMO that's the ONLY way to watch 24 Gonzo.

I didn't see 24 the first 2 seasons.
I rented season 1 and spent an entire weekend indoors!

I rented season 2 the next weekend and again, spent the entire weekend indoors. I could'nt stop putting in the next discs. It was a DVD crack addiction.

I started to watch season 3 weekly and got only through a couple of shows before the commercials and the weekly break became too much to bear.

Started watching the current season but could'nt take it again. I will be anxiously awaiting the DVD release and will cancel all plans, family obligations or not, that following weekend.

Dubfire
03-27-2006, 11:23 PM
This thread has been hijacked.

Rocky Raccoon
03-27-2006, 11:25 PM
IMO that's the ONLY way to watch 24 Gonzo.

I didn't see 24 the first 2 seasons.
I rented season 1 and spent an entire weekend indoors!

I rented season 2 the next weekend and again, spent the entire weekend indoors. I could'nt stop putting in the next discs. It was a DVD crack addiction.

I started to watch season 3 weekly and got only through a couple of shows before the commercials and the weekly break became too much to bear.

Started watching the current season but could'nt take it again. I will be anxiously awaiting the DVD release and will cancel all plans, family obligations or not, that following weekend.
:lol: I was the same EXACT way. I saw the first 4 on DVD, each season in like a 2 day span. You're right, as you watch the episodes and watch things unfold, you just got to see what happens next...and you can't stop watching.

The season has been very hard to watch...only an hour a week is tough.

Coral Reefer
03-27-2006, 11:30 PM
This thread has been hijacked.

The following Hijack happens between 10PM and 11PM.

d-day
03-27-2006, 11:33 PM
Gonzo I STRONGLY suggest you buy the seasons...it won't let you down. I promise you. You will be hooked in no time. Jack Bauer will be your hero and you WILL buy Jack Bauer lunch boxes and pajamas.

best.show.ever

do you get a thermos with that?

thermos :hump:

Rocky Raccoon
03-27-2006, 11:36 PM

:yes:

Jack Bauer thermos :hump:

wpgfishfan
03-28-2006, 12:32 AM
Is Finn going to tell anyone about Vito??

d-day
03-28-2006, 12:47 AM
:yes:

Jack Bauer thermos :hump:

sigmund and the sea monsters thermos :hump:

Gonzo
03-28-2006, 12:52 AM

best.show.ever

already have, but that's just because I think Doc is dreamy :yes:

Roman529
03-28-2006, 12:54 AM

I had the Evel Knievel Lunchbox and thermos and Scooby Doo...ohhh the memories. :wink:

NJFINSFAN1
03-28-2006, 12:56 AM
sigmund and the sea monsters thermos :hump:

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

NaboCane
03-28-2006, 02:04 AM
Is Finn going to tell anyone about Vito??

Of course. Vito's still hitting on him, he's gotta tell. And when he does, my guess is they kill him by shooting him up his butt. Paulie probably does it.

Caps
03-28-2006, 04:54 PM
Of course. Vito's still hitting on him, he's gotta tell. And when he does, my guess is they kill him by shooting him up his butt. Paulie probably does it.

I think they'll stick a gun in his mouth, make a gay joke about it, and then pull the trigger.

Pagan
03-28-2006, 05:22 PM
I dont understand the thirst for bloodshed.

Not that I don't enjoy it, but the drama and the characters are what drive the show.

The bloodshed will come but to me the show is at it's best when its doing the character study that has gone on in the first 3 episodes this season.
Bro, you need to come up to Jersey for a bit and see what the people that these characters and stereotypes are molded from are really like. :lol:

They're about as deep as an ashtray. They're animals. There's not alot of self-analyzing going on.

It's a show about the Mafia. If I want character study, I'll watch a show about characters with depth. Somehow I can't see Paulie Walnuts and "depth" in the same sentence. :rofl3:

Dubfire
03-28-2006, 08:24 PM
Bro, you need to come up to Jersey for a bit and see what the people that these characters and stereotypes are molded from are really like. :lol:

They're about as deep as an ashtray. They're animals. There's not alot of self-analyzing going on.

It's a show about the Mafia. If I want character study, I'll watch a show about characters with depth. Somehow I can't see Paulie Walnuts and "depth" in the same sentence. :rofl3:

No, it's a show about how a man in the mafia tries to balance life between his two families. C'mon Pagan, you know it's not as simplistic as "a show about the Mafia". If that was the case it'd be boring. Tony's character has a lot of depth. As far as Paulie? He's there for the comedy.:lol:

Pagan
03-28-2006, 08:38 PM
No, it's a show about how a man in the mafia tries to balance life between his two families. C'mon Pagan, you know it's not as simplistic as "a show about the Mafia". If that was the case it'd be boring. Tony's character has a lot of depth. As far as Paulie? He's there for the comedy.:lol:
I guess you're right in that aspect. I dunno, maybe it's just getting played out after all these years.

Dubfire
03-28-2006, 08:50 PM
I guess you're right in that aspect. I dunno, maybe it's just getting played out after all these years.

I'll admit, I'm a hardcore fan and have been since season 1. Season 1 was by far the best, season 2 was good. Season 3? no comment. So so season 4 and I thought season 5 had some of the series better moments but as a whole did not go as well together as seasons 1 and 2. I can be critical when it's warranted.

This season has started a bit slow, I agree. The pace is expected to pick up in the next couple of episodes. But remember, there are still 17 to go (9 left in this season with 8 more a year from now).

I have no idea where it's all going or how it will end. That's why I watch.

But you gotta admit Pagan, the mob stories and movies that have done well are the ones that try to humanize these people. And that's what the Sopranos has done and that's why it's been so successful.

wpgfishfan
04-17-2006, 12:28 PM
Good episode last night

Is Vito taking his own life?
Is Vito getting whacked?
Is Vito going to go in hiding?

The best part was when Paulie said "You mean he was catching not receiving"

tucker
04-17-2006, 12:38 PM
paulie is the best thing about this season

PassRush
04-17-2006, 12:54 PM
I missed it last night, I was going to catch a rerun but now I guess its not worth it

phins17
04-17-2006, 01:04 PM
It really sucks this year

Pennington's Rocket Arm
04-17-2006, 01:23 PM
easily the best show on TV. the episode left so many questions it's not funny. i'm sure meadow's boyfriend and vito will have another encounter....and i kept expecting vito to run into someone in new hampshire. i don't think he'll kill himself. he'll probably just stay in NH and keep his lifestyle a secret, based on how he acted in the antique shop ("you're a natural" :lol:) the preview for next week looks good. that punk from doogie howser knocks tony out....things won't end up well for him. seriously no show is even close to this...

NYPhinFan
04-17-2006, 01:34 PM
I saw in the preview that kid punched somebody but it wasn't clear if it was Tony. What makes you think it was Tony?

Pennington's Rocket Arm
04-17-2006, 02:02 PM
hmm i thought it showed him talking to him and then immediately after that he punches him...i only saw it once though, maybe i wasn't paying attention well enough.

NYPhinFan
04-17-2006, 02:14 PM
I have noticed the past few weeks that the previews are totally misleading. I guess its the way to make people watch. I really can't believe that little guy would be stupid enough to throw punches at Tony.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
04-17-2006, 03:27 PM
did anyone else think vito had killed himself after last week's episode?

wazzy
04-17-2006, 03:47 PM
Last nights episode I think got me back in the mood to watch the Sopranos again! Vitos gay and on the run and it was hilarious last night!

NJFINSFAN1
04-17-2006, 06:01 PM
I'll admit, I'm a hardcore fan and have been since season 1. Season 1 was by far the best, season 2 was good. Season 3? no comment. So so season 4 and I thought season 5 had some of the series better moments but as a whole did not go as well together as seasons 1 and 2. I can be critical when it's warranted.

This season has started a bit slow, I agree. The pace is expected to pick up in the next couple of episodes. But remember, there are still 17 to go (9 left in this season with 8 more a year from now).

I have no idea where it's all going or how it will end. That's why I watch.

But you gotta admit Pagan, the mob stories and movies that have done well are the ones that try to humanize these people. And that's what the Sopranos has done and that's why it's been so successful.

The Sopranos is more a true to life Mafia movie then most. As pagan said, Came to Jersey. I know a few "connected guys" and for the most part, they act like Chris. I know one son of a big boss, that's a darn right @$$, throwing bills at everyone.

But the show is very real. You still have some guys like paulie walking around, its funny when you see them, you walk across the street! You just get that vipe that they are nuts!

NaboCane
04-17-2006, 06:29 PM
I have noticed the past few weeks that the previews are totally misleading. I guess its the way to make people watch. I really can't believe that little guy would be stupid enough to throw punches at Tony.

Little Paulie? No way. That's another malicious trailer edit to hype the show...as if it needed it.

Dubfire
04-18-2006, 06:45 PM
Little Paulie? No way. That's another malicious trailer edit to hype the show...as if it needed it.

I played it in slow motion with my Tivo and from the looks of it, it was Artie Bucco that was getting punched.

I think those guys are in trouble. All of Vito's crew. Once Tony finds out they are moonlighting with Angie Bonpensiero and not kicking up to him the **** is going to his the fan and all you blood lusters that have been slamming the show all season will finally get what you wished for. Or, it will save Tony's *** by giving him an excuse to have Vito wacked since he has not been getting a piece of the action and he'll say Vito knew about it. After all, they kick up to Vito and Vito to Tony.

And by the way, in the preview, that was Benny Fazio punching who I think is Artie. It was not Little Paulie.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
04-18-2006, 07:29 PM
god those previews are deceiving. :lol:

Dubfire
04-30-2006, 10:10 PM
Ok..this season has turned into Brokeback Mountain meets Carlito's Way.

I am beginning to lose my patience.

tucker
04-30-2006, 10:15 PM
this season has been a let down

Walking25
05-01-2006, 01:03 AM
show of hands who are not going to watch it anymore?

Gonzo
05-01-2006, 01:12 AM
show of hands who are not going to watch it anymore?

It's hard to stop, I still have a bit of hope (wee bit). They have introduced so many cool possible storylines throughout the season, and the only one they follow is the gay theme. Who gives a ****? Really? They could have expanded on the possible terrorist link. They could have focused on the FBI's case (or lack there of now) against Tony. The only continuity between shows is the gay theme. They apparently have no idea of who their target audience is.

NaboCane
05-01-2006, 01:23 AM
I think this is the most interesting season of the show! Season 2 was better in terms of pure action, and it had some satisfying resolutions to it...but this one has been smarter and deeper than the others.

Having said that, I really could live the whole rest of my life quite happily without seeing fat Vito kissing the guy from the village people again.

But aside from that, I'm enjoying this season thoroughly. The way that Tony is growing as a person...tell me you guys weren't as ready for that as I was! I mean, I don't think I could have sat through another whole season of Tony being the shallow, unethical prick he had become.

Dubfire
05-01-2006, 07:41 PM
I think this is the most interesting season of the show! Season 2 was better in terms of pure action, and it had some satisfying resolutions to it...but this one has been smarter and deeper than the others.

Having said that, I really could live the whole rest of my life quite happily without seeing fat Vito kissing the guy from the village people again.

But aside from that, I'm enjoying this season thoroughly. The way that Tony is growing as a person...tell me you guys weren't as ready for that as I was! I mean, I don't think I could have sat through another whole season of Tony being the shallow, unethical prick he had become.

I do agree with your last point there Nabo. I just wish they's resolve the thing with Vito already and explore more into AJ's spiraling out of control and possibly taking out Junior and Tony's maturation as a person. For the 1st time, I enjoyed a show where AJ was one of the focal points last night. I really do hope he continues to spiral down and see how Tony and Carmela react when essentially he's becoming the Tony that Tony is trying to escape. The old Tony would drilled that real estate chick last night 4 times and twice on Sunday. He's changing.

wpgfishfan
06-05-2006, 12:02 AM
I thought Chris was gonna be a goner tonight.

Why did the FBI guy help out???

AJ is one lucky fellow:wink:

Roman529
06-05-2006, 02:30 AM
I don't have HBO but I saw the last couple episodes at a friend's house. I like all the diferent characters....I want white slicked back sideburns like that one guy. :lol:

DonShula84
06-05-2006, 03:04 AM
Disappointing season finale imo, and season in general. No real cliff hanger. The war between NJ and NY that has been building for a few seasons now doesnt appear to be happening. The biggest thing in the season finale was who was having sex w/ who. David Chase better have something good in store for the final 8, but I'm beginning to feel that the show has been so good that the finale can only disappoint.

There also seems to be a lot of small issues that you think might lead to something but never came up again. Atleast Entourage and Deadwood are starting now

DonShula84
06-05-2006, 03:12 AM
I thought Chris was gonna be a goner tonight.

Why did the FBI guy help out???

AJ is one lucky fellow:wink:

That FBI agent has always been pretty cool w/ the Soprano family. He didnt tell them anything to keep them out of jail, or help him get away w/ a crime. He just didnt want to see any of them get killed. He also probably knew if someone in Tony's family got killed he would retaliate and the war would escalte. It makes sense for him to not want that to happen

Amars
06-05-2006, 03:47 AM
Sopranos is not what it use to be. But I still watch it. One more season before it ends.