PDA

View Full Version : Poll:Was Tagliabue a good Comish?

Se7eN
03-20-2006, 02:03 PM
With Taqliabue officially announcing his retirement, i realized a couple things that the nfl honestly has been run really well the last couple years. Taqliabue honestly is probably the best comish out of all the major sports Bud Selig made baseball a mess with the Steriod scandal, David Stern is trying to make the the NBA "professional"(edit) with all his stupid dress code rules, and Gary Betman i dont have to say nething. Tagliabue saves the nfl this year from becoming what baseball is, an unfair, capless free for all. He also made the NFL a huge success and pretty much took over baseball as Americas past time. Superbowl gets huge rating, i know this is not all him but while he was the comish there was no big thing that i could say that was really bad.

Rocky Raccoon
03-20-2006, 02:08 PM
I always liked him...he was def. a good commish.

vanquenton
03-20-2006, 02:09 PM
I have to agree, very successful run. Wonder who is going to replace him?

capecoralfinfan
03-20-2006, 02:12 PM
With Taqliabue officially announcing his retirement, i realized a couple things that the nfl honestly has been run really well the last couple years. Taqliabue honestly is probably the best comish out of all the major sports Bud Selig made baseball a mess with the Steriod scandal, David Stern is trying to make the the NBA white with all his stupid dress code rules, and Gary Betman i dont have to say nething. Tagliabue saves the nfl this year from becoming what baseball is, an unfair, capless free for all. He also made the NFL a huge success and pretty much took over baseball as Americas past time. Superbowl gets huge rating, i know this is not all him but while he was the comish there was no big thing that i could say that was really bad.

what? that is the most ridiculous statement in the history of the world. dress codes imply whiteness? why? i hope you are a white person making that assumption because that would offend me otherwise.

gator_sensation
03-20-2006, 02:14 PM
What is whiteness? Then again, what is blackness? Your argument, Se7en, is very weak.

BALLS DEEP
03-20-2006, 02:15 PM
what? that is the most ridiculous statement in the history of the world. dress codes imply whiteness? why? i hope you are a white person making that assumption because that would offend me otherwise.

How did I see someone getting offended by that one? I must have had psychic cheeri-o's this morning.

capecoralfinfan
03-20-2006, 02:16 PM
How did I see someone getting offended by that one? I must have had psychic cheeri-o's this morning.

don't worry. i'll point it out everytime :D

phinsfan84
03-20-2006, 02:18 PM
His best momment will probaly go down as making sure the collective Bargining agreement doesnt fall through along with the speech he gave that was suppossably very inspirational.

Im very sad to see him go. Any word on who will be the new commish?

Agua
03-20-2006, 02:20 PM
I'll remember him most for his uneven treatment of disciplinary matters with superstars getting off light and bending rules for the same. He presided over the "thugacization" of the NFL. My opinion is he was a limp-wristed Commissioner.

Iceband
03-20-2006, 02:20 PM
He was a great commish and I hope the best for him in the future!

One Q though. Whats your opinion on who will replace him? I would take a guess but i'm not great with the NFL officer people.

LtDan
03-20-2006, 02:21 PM
The best!

Surferosa
03-20-2006, 02:22 PM
Tagliabue was also the first League Commissioner among all the Major US Sports to announce that games would be cancelled after 9/11. After the announcement, the rest of the Leagues (MLB, NBA, NHL, etc) also announced their games would be cancelled. It further solidified the NFL as the undisputed Leader of the American Sports Landscape. Tagliabue, as the Commissioner, epitomized that leadership quality.

I bring this up because Pete Rozelle was faced with a similar decision forty years earlier. However, Rozelle didnt cancel NFL games after Kennedy was assasinated - the singular most traumatic event for Americans of that generation. He was roundly criticzed for it, and its been said its his only regret in 30 years of being Commissioner.

spiral
03-20-2006, 02:39 PM
Defintely a great career. How many years has the NFL had without a strike? How many people watch/attend the games? How much are the franchises worth?

Only negatives:

The failure with NFL Europe, Allowing MNF to fizzle out the way it did, and the monopolization of Sunday Ticket to only Direct TV owners.

Possible replacement: Condi Rice
She's gone on record to say (years ago) that she'd potentially be interested in the job...but she's a big Browns fan, so we wouldn't benefit from that.

Se7eN
03-20-2006, 02:45 PM
i am white by the way but here is why i consider it him trying to make the nba white.

i worked at a bar as a bartender on long island in ny right by a college which was prodominantly white, the next town over is a very urban community. The reason i say this is because the dress code for the NBA is pretty much the same dress code as the bar. Here was the sign on the door.
No White Tees
No Hoodies
No Doo-rags
No Tims or Boots
No Big Jewlery
you see what im getting at i did not mean to say nething that would affend some1 but from the owner of the bars mouth(racist fat ex stock broker) he didnt want to have blacks in the bar which i have black friends its just my opinion and alot of other peoples and for some reason when i see david stern i see the John(bar owner) just tryin to take urban style away from were it once was

FinFan72
03-20-2006, 02:52 PM
With Taqliabue officially announcing his retirement, i realized a couple things that the nfl honestly has been run really well the last couple years. Taqliabue honestly is probably the best comish out of all the major sports Bud Selig made baseball a mess with the Steriod scandal, David Stern is trying to make the the NBA white with all his stupid dress code rules, and Gary Betman i dont have to say nething. Tagliabue saves the nfl this year from becoming what baseball is, an unfair, capless free for all. He also made the NFL a huge success and pretty much took over baseball as Americas past time. Superbowl gets huge rating, i know this is not all him but while he was the comish there was no big thing that i could say that was really bad.
what are you talking about??
The dress code that he instituted IMO brings a little bit of class to a league that was getting bad.

DaBearNY
03-20-2006, 02:52 PM
i am white by the way but here is why i consider it him trying to make the nba white.

i worked at a bar as a bartender on long island in ny right by a college which was prodominantly white, the next town over is a very urban community. The reason i say this is because the dress code for the NBA is pretty much the same dress code as the bar. Here was the sign on the door.
No White Tees
No Hoodies
No Doo-rags
No Tims or Boots
No Big Jewlery
you see what im getting at i did not mean to say nething that would affend some1 but from the owner of the bars mouth(racist fat ex stock broker) he didnt want to have blacks in the bar which i have black friends its just my opinion and alot of other peoples and for some reason when i see david stern i see the John(bar owner) just tryin to take urban style away from were it once was

:confused: You can't possibly be saying that a dress code defines a race. This is the craziest thing I've heard in a while!:sidelol:

Se7eN
03-20-2006, 02:55 PM
aight when the guy says it to your face that the reason he has it bc of black people then its not crazy he really did that and it was there i mean the placed closed down for serving underage drinkers but the guy was a sleezbag coke head but i made like 600 dollars in two days workin there so i wasnt gonna say sh*t

HeelsNPhinsFan
03-20-2006, 02:56 PM

No White Tees
No Hoodies
No Doo-rags
No Tims or Boots
No Big Jewlery

THREAD HIJACK ALERT
In the example you wrote above, I'd agree that the owner of the bar was a %$*&. However, there is a BIG DIFFERENCE between what you'd wear to a bar, and what you'd wear to a job interview. Professionals, whether they are white, black, or purple wear suits/ties to work, and a more professional image is something that most people agree the NBA sorely needs.

capecoralfinfan
03-20-2006, 02:56 PM

No White Tees
No Hoodies
No Doo-rags
No Tims or Boots
No Big Jewlery

did you ever think that white tees, hoodies, doo-rags, and big jewelry don't really look good for any sport?...do you see shaq walking around in doo-rags? no, he's dressed like a respectable adult, not a rapper trying to sell an album based on his 100,000 necklace. these are professionals making millions of dollars...they are role models and people that need to understand what being in the public eye means. dress codes are very good for white, black, purple, orange, yellow, red, and green people.

capecoralfinfan
03-20-2006, 02:58 PM
aight when the guy says it to your face that the reason he has it bc of black people then its not crazy he really did that and it was there i mean the placed closed down for serving underage drinkers but the guy was a sleezbag coke head but i made like 600 dollars in two days workin there so i wasnt gonna say sh*t

i think you've been brainwashed LOL go back to school and learn some "country grammar" hahaha

Se7eN
03-20-2006, 03:01 PM
im just sayin i dont agree with the dress code personally i think people do look better in suit then whatever else but the thing is i dont think its his right to change that the knicks had a dress code b4 the full nba did what i think it should be a teams decision not the NBA if the gonna get on the players case they should hop on Cuban and have him wear suits

capecoralfinfan
03-20-2006, 03:06 PM
if you say so.

SuavePhin
03-20-2006, 03:09 PM
I THOUGHT this was a thread about Tags, we have a basketball forum for this discussion, back on topic, it will HUGE shoes to fill whomever replaces Tags

Lazy1
03-20-2006, 03:10 PM
im just sayin i dont agree with the dress code personally i think people do look better in suit then whatever else but the thing is i dont think its his right to change that the knicks had a dress code b4 the full nba did what i think it should be a teams decision not the NBA if the gonna get on the players case they should hop on Cuban and have him wear suits

Good point.

DaBearNY
03-20-2006, 03:13 PM
I've got a question....hope its not a stupid one.....lol......How would the new commish get appointed?

Se7eN
03-20-2006, 03:14 PM
yes back to taqliabue i think the only thing he didnt get accomplished was a team back in LA

and lazy1 that beer pong table is kick ***

Roman529
03-20-2006, 03:16 PM
90-2 he was good. You Youngins don't remember Pete Rozelle....he was even better.

Se7eN
03-20-2006, 03:16 PM
I've got a question....hope its not a stupid one.....lol......How would the new commish get appointed?

they get locked in a room and wax the doors shut and when white smoke comes out the chimney the new comish is selected lol

actually i have no idea maybe the owners vote

Se7eN
03-20-2006, 03:18 PM
90-2 he was good. You Youngins don't remember Pete Rozelle....he was even better.

yea i dont remember Rozelle but what i know about him is that he was a PR guy b4 he was selected to be comish, which means they may go newhere for the next one but he was a very good public figure as apposed to taqliabue who was kinda scary

usf dolfan23
03-20-2006, 03:31 PM
did you ever think that white tees, hoodies, doo-rags, and big jewelry don't really look good for any sport?...do you see shaq walking around in doo-rags? no, he's dressed like a respectable adult, not a rapper trying to sell an album based on his 100,000 necklace. these are professionals making millions of dollars...they are role models and people that need to understand what being in the public eye means. dress codes are very good for white, black, purple, orange, yellow, red, and green people.

What makes a person "respectable"? I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with what clothes you decide to wear but rather the manner in which you live you're life and the way you present yourself AS A PERSON. I don't care if a person is wearing a wife beater or a designer suit, it doesn't change anything about who that person is and what they represent. Rich white guys are the ones who decided suits and ties are what makes a person respectable because they for the most part are the only people who can afford them. So stop acting like it has nothing to do with race, it has everything to do with race, even if thats not exactly how it was meant to be taken.

usf dolfan23
03-20-2006, 03:34 PM
i think you've been brainwashed LOL go back to school and learn some "country grammar" hahaha

Last time I checked this was a football forum, not an english class. By the way you start a sentence with a capital letter and you end it with something called a "period".

SQuinn17
03-20-2006, 03:43 PM

No White Tees
No Hoodies
No Doo-rags
No Tims or Boots
No Big Jewlery

its called being professional

HeelsNPhinsFan
03-20-2006, 03:52 PM
What makes a person "respectable"? I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with what clothes you decide to wear but rather the manner in which you live you're life and the way you present yourself AS A PERSON. I don't care if a person is wearing a wife beater or a designer suit, it doesn't change anything about who that person is and what they represent. Rich white guys are the ones who decided suits and ties are what makes a person respectable because they for the most part are the only people who can afford them. So stop acting like it has nothing to do with race, it has everything to do with race, even if thats not exactly how it was meant to be taken.

Wait, you're saying that the NBA is trying to make the players wear suits because they know the black players won't be able to afford them?!?!?!?!
You've been listening to too many Knicks man.

And the 'suit' wasn't invented to exclude poor people from entering companies. Suits are designed to make everyone look as similar as possible - they hide physical differences/height/width to an extent. That's bad for an entirely different reason IMO, but to suggest that all black people are poor and can't afford suits is RIDICULOUS. Heck, a cheap suit is less than most clothes at Tommy/etc anyways!

Skeet84
03-20-2006, 03:52 PM
Well its clearly obvious that he was good! He did alot of great things for the NFL ! He was probably the reason we have a New CBA too. He has done way better than any other commish!

Rixon
03-20-2006, 03:54 PM
i am for the dress code
its always good to see professionals act like professionals

EBMisfit
03-20-2006, 03:57 PM
I'll remember him most for his uneven treatment of disciplinary matters with superstars getting off light and bending rules for the same. He presided over the "thugacization" of the NFL. My opinion is he was a limp-wristed Commissioner.
Most of this is just the changing of the times. It isn't the '50's or even the '60's any longer. All leagues do this to a certain degree, unless a superstar blatantly crosses over the line to the point where it can't be swept under the rug. That doesn't make it right, but it does make it understandable. And for a "limp-wristed" commissioner, he certainly seems to have put perhaps professional sport's most stringent drug enforcement policy into practice and brought labor relations to an apex that other sports can only envy.

Sethdaddy8
03-20-2006, 04:00 PM
With Taqliabue officially announcing his retirement, i realized a couple things that the nfl honestly has been run really well the last couple years. Taqliabue honestly is probably the best comish out of all the major sports Bud Selig made baseball a mess with the Steriod scandal, David Stern is trying to make the the NBA "professional"(edit) with all his stupid dress code rules, and Gary Betman i dont have to say nething. Tagliabue saves the nfl this year from becoming what baseball is, an unfair, capless free for all. He also made the NFL a huge success and pretty much took over baseball as Americas past time. Superbowl gets huge rating, i know this is not all him but while he was the comish there was no big thing that i could say that was really bad.

The NFL is so successful today, and has been the most dominant sport for years under his leadership. Just think he's leaving prematurely.

EBMisfit
03-20-2006, 04:06 PM
No White Tees
No Hoodies
No Doo-rags
No Tims or Boots
No Big Jewlery
As long as he equally applies those rules to everyone, I don't see how that in and of itself is an indication of racism.

On the other side of the coin, though, I've been called racist for enforcing my boss' policy of stop selling alcohol at 12 instead of 10, even though it's not even my policy in the first place and I apply the rules equally to everyone (either the beer is bagged and I have the money in my hand that the person is paying for it by 12 or I don't make the sale).

usf dolfan23
03-20-2006, 04:20 PM
[quote=HeelsNPhinsFan]Wait, you're saying that the NBA is trying to make the players wear suits because they know the black players won't be able to afford them?!?!?!?!
You've been listening to too many Knicks man.

Wow, you completely missed my point. Of course NBA players can afford suits and ties, but does a suit and tie really represent how respectable a person is?

And the 'suit' wasn't invented to exclude poor people from entering companies. Suits are designed to make everyone look as similar as possible - they hide physical differences/height/width to an extent.

Once again, I never said the suit was invented to exclude poor people from entering companies. What I said was that for the most part throughout history, rich white business men were the only people who could afford to buy "respectable clothing"( suits, ties, etc). Which is ridiculous because a persons respectability has nothing to do with how much his clothing is worth. If a person had lived his or her entire life wearing a certain type of clothing, why should they change their appearence because all of a sudden they are part of the "business world"?

That's bad for an entirely different reason IMO, but to suggest that all black people are poor and can't afford suits is RIDICULOUS.

I NEVER suggested that all black people are poor and can't afford suits. Please don't put words in my mouth. What I was arguing against was the thought that a persons respectability is based on the kind of clothing they wear. I don't care what color you're skin is, to say a person is more respectable because they are wearing a suit is ridiculous.

Heck, a cheap suit is less than most clothes at Tommy/etc anyways!

Although not as much now, throughout history for the most part, the upperclass were the only ones who could afford "high end" clothing. These clothing were what made them look more "respectable" and "professional" (at least in their eyes). Now let me ask you a question. Who throughout American history have primarily been the upper class?

Semedi
03-20-2006, 04:21 PM
On the one hand, he did a great job of growing the sport and implementing the CBA...

On the other hand, I hate all the crap rules he's brought into the game, and the way he's really stomped on player / team celebrations. Taken all the individuality out of the game.

usf dolfan23
03-20-2006, 04:24 PM
[quote=EBMisfit]As long as he equally applies those rules to everyone, I don't see how that in and of itself is an indication of racism.

It does imply racism when one particular race are the ones who primarily wear that type of clothing.

Troysif
03-20-2006, 04:24 PM
I have to agree, very successful run. Wonder who is going to replace him?

GENE UPSHAW, lol

vanquenton
03-20-2006, 04:37 PM
[quote=EBMisfit]As long as he equally applies those rules to everyone, I don't see how that in and of itself is an indication of racism.

It does imply racism when one particular race are the ones who primarily wear that type of clothing.

These guys can wear whatever they feel like when they are not at work, but when they ARE at work, they are expected to represent their company, in this case the NBA/their respective team. There are thousands and thousands of companies across the world that require their employees to abide by a dress code. Are all of these companies racist too? These guys are being paid millions of dollars, they should look the part.

usf dolfan23
03-20-2006, 05:21 PM
[quote=usf dolfan23]

These guys can wear whatever they feel like when they are not at work, but when they ARE at work, they are expected to represent their company, in this case the NBA/their respective team. There are thousands and thousands of companies across the world that require their employees to abide by a dress code. Are all of these companies racist too? These guys are being paid millions of dollars, they should look the part.

What does the kind of clothing you wear have anything to with how you represent you're company? I would rather have an honest hard working person wearing a wife beater and jeans then a dishonest and greedy person wearing a suit and tie."There are thousands and thousands of companies across the world that require their employees to abide by a dress code." So just because thousands of companies do it, that makes it right????

FinFan72
03-20-2006, 06:00 PM
[quote=vanquenton]

What does the kind of clothing you wear have anything to with how you represent you're company? I would rather have an honest hard working person wearing a wife beater and jeans then a dishonest and greedy person wearing a suit and tie."There are thousands and thousands of companies across the world that require their employees to abide by a dress code." So just because thousands of companies do it, that makes it right????

:shakeno:
If i showed up to work in clothes that most of the NBA players would wear to the game i would be FIRED on the spot.

when those players walk into the arena they are on the clock and the NBA has the right to tell there Employees/Players what to wear just like if you worked at mcdonalds, walmart, Kmart etc........

And for the last time it is not about race it's about presenting yourself with Professionalism!!!

usf dolfan23
03-20-2006, 06:42 PM
And for the last time it is not about race it's about presenting yourself with Professionalism!!![/quote]

I am not arguing against the idea of being professional, I am arguing against the idea that the clothing I wear has anything to do with what kind of worker I am and how "professional" I am. To judge someone by what clothing they wear is ridiculous. We are all unique human beings, with our own styles and beliefs. Why not celebrate an individuals right to express themselves instead of forcing them into a contrived cookie cutter design? If a person conducts themselves in a professional manner they are being PROFESSIONAL. I don't care what they are wearing.

P.S Who decided a suit and tie was "professional"??? :confused:

FinFan72
03-20-2006, 06:54 PM
And for the last time it is not about race it's about presenting yourself with Professionalism!!!

I am not arguing against the idea of being professional, I am arguing against the idea that the clothing I wear has anything to do with what kind of worker I am and how "professional" I am. To judge someone by what clothing they wear is ridiculous. We are all unique human beings, with our own styles and beliefs. Why not celebrate an individuals right to express themselves instead of forcing them into a contrived cookie cutter design? If a person conducts themselves in a professional manner they are being PROFESSIONAL. I don't care what they are wearing.

P.S Who decided a suit and tie was "professional"??? :confused:[/QUOTE]

:nono:

usf dolfan23
03-20-2006, 06:56 PM

P.S Who decided a suit and tie was "professional"??? :confused:
:nono:[/quote]

Can you honestly answer the question or is a smiley all i'm gonna get?

vanquenton
03-20-2006, 11:48 PM

One day, you too will have to cut your hair and get a real job. :D

Vertical Limit
03-21-2006, 12:03 AM
These atheletes are swimming in millions and you are going to tell me they can not dress in a professional manner? Grow up. This is not G-Unit, this is a professional sports organization that holds tremendous atheletes that are role models and idols to many fans around the world.

Also, people like you don't deserve to live. Can't stand those who like to segregate themselves from the world by turning everything into a black and white thing.

ih8brady
03-21-2006, 12:07 AM
:nono:

Can you honestly answer the question or is a smiley all i'm gonna get?[/quote]

look at the NFL draft, all the players dress well knowing they will be on TV/it will be one of the most imp days of their lives. Why can't NBA players do the same? You say professionalism has nothing to do with dressing well. Ask yourself this, if a newsreporter showed up on TV in a t shirt and jeans, would you consider them professional/adult/take them seriously?

ih8brady
03-21-2006, 12:10 AM
Tagliabue was excellent as a commisioner; the popularity and success of the NFL reached new heights that were probably once unthinkable. The only criticism I have is not holding athletes accountable for off-the-field criminal activity(not speeding tickets, but serious crimes).

WestCoastPhins
03-21-2006, 12:17 AM
Whats funny about this whole conversation about dress code is the two guys it had the biggest impact on was nash and dirk. Those guys looked like bums walking into an arena. Stern wanted people to look like millionaries walking in, like how jordan or shaq walked into an arena.

As for tags the original topic, compare him to bettman(idiot who let himself come before the league), or selig whos league is a mess because he wanted revenue so ignored an abuse issue that is coming back to haunt him. Also tags never canceled the pro-bowl because it was too long. And stern has been a good comish but he has issues much more important than dress code that he is worried about. Like getting refs who dont give superstar calls. Tags although not a rozelle was the best commish in modern times and did somthing that pete didnt and thats make all 32 teams equal and extremely profitable even in the smallest markets.

usf dolfan23
03-21-2006, 12:24 AM
These atheletes are swimming in millions and you are going to tell me they can not dress in a professional manner? Grow up. This is not G-Unit, this is a professional sports organization that holds tremendous atheletes that are role models and idols to many fans around the world.

So wearing a suit and tie makes you a role model? :shakeno:

Also, people like you don't deserve to live. Can't stand those who like to segregate themselves from the world by turning everything into a black and white thing.
Wow, where do I start. You're telling me to grow up? I'm trying to have a respectable ADULT discussion and you have to come in and lash out with personal attacks. Are you kidding me? ADULTS understand that people have different opinions!!! I segregate myself from the world??? You are the one making personal attacks! Personal attacks are what segregate people and break bonds. I may have different opinions then the other people in this thread but I respect their opinion because they state it in a RESPECTABLE manner. You on the other hand have to come out with childish attacks because someone has a different opinion. Last but certainly not least "people like you don't deserve to live"!?!?!?!?!!?! WTF???? I have an opposing view so I don't deserve to live? :fire:Unbelievable. You a perfect example of a person who may dress "professionally" but has not one respectable or professional bone in you're body.

PS By the way I am WHITE, and I am not trying to make everything black and white subject. I wish their didn't have to be blacks and whites, but rather just "humans". The unfortunate truth though, is we live in a country(and a world) thats very divided. As much as we want to believe otherwise, we still have a long ways to go before we have racial equality...

{edit} wow i'm an idiot and didn't even realize that you weren't responding to me. Woops. Anyways I still think everything I said holds true, the personal attacks were uncalled for.

usf dolfan23
03-21-2006, 12:27 AM
One day, you too will have to cut your hair and get a real job. :D

I have a real job and they let me keep my hair however I want. :D

usf dolfan23
03-21-2006, 12:31 AM
Whats funny about this whole conversation about dress code is the two guys it had the biggest impact on was nash and dirk. Those guys looked like bums walking into an arena. Stern wanted people to look like millionaries walking in, like how jordan or shaq walked into an arena.

As for tags the original topic, compare him to bettman(idiot who let himself come before the league), or selig whos league is a mess because he wanted revenue so ignored an abuse issue that is coming back to haunt him. Also tags never canceled the pro-bowl because it was too long. And stern has been a good comish but he has issues much more important than dress code that he is worried about. Like getting refs who dont give superstar calls. Tags although not a rozelle was the best commish in modern times and did somthing that pete didnt and thats make all 32 teams equal and extremely profitable even in the smallest markets.

:lol: The Brett Favre quote in you're sig is hilarious. Soooooooooooo true.

usf dolfan23
03-21-2006, 12:42 AM

look at the NFL draft, all the players dress well knowing they will be on TV/it will be one of the most imp days of their lives. Why can't NBA players do the same? You say professionalism has nothing to do with dressing well. Ask yourself this, if a newsreporter showed up on TV in a t shirt and jeans, would you consider them professional/adult/take them seriously?[/quote]

If (big if) and when I watch the news I am looking for one thing. THE NEWS. I honestly could care less if the reporter is wearing a monkey suit, as long as he is good at REPORTING THE NEWS(which most of these "professional looking" reporters are terrible at).

usf dolfan23
03-21-2006, 12:45 AM
Tagliabue was excellent as a commisioner; the popularity and success of the NFL reached new heights that were probably once unthinkable. The only criticism I have is not holding athletes accountable for off-the-field criminal activity(not speeding tickets, but serious crimes).

Totally agree!

Pennington's Rocket Arm
03-21-2006, 09:21 AM
it'll be different seeing someone else call out the names at the draft! he was great, and really did a lot to help every franchise in the league.

FinFan72
03-21-2006, 06:37 PM
look at the NFL draft, all the players dress well knowing they will be on TV/it will be one of the most imp days of their lives. Why can't NBA players do the same? You say professionalism has nothing to do with dressing well. Ask yourself this, if a newsreporter showed up on TV in a t shirt and jeans, would you consider them professional/adult/take them seriously?

If (big if) and when I watch the news I am looking for one thing. THE NEWS. I honestly could care less if the reporter is wearing a monkey suit, as long as he is good at REPORTING THE NEWS(which most of these "professional looking" reporters are terrible at).[/QUOTE]

If David Stern was a Black guy then we wouldnt be having this conversation.