PDA

View Full Version : Big Question about Antonio Cromartie

South Florida
03-22-2006, 01:08 AM
Cromartie (6-2¼, 203) ran 4.39 and 4.37 in the 40, 3.89 in the short shuttle and 7.02 in the three-cone drill. He also had a 42-inch vertical jump.

These are the times from his pro day.

His times at the combine were similar.

He is only 1 year removed from his injury (in fact, I think it isn't even a full year yet)

If I'm not mistaken, his vertical leap tied for 1st at the combine with Vernon Davis.

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Is it smart to take a gamble on him at 16?

He's a top 10 pick next year for sure, maybe a top 5.

I think he's got better natural cover skills than Jimmy Williams and he posted better numbers at the combine regardless of his knee injury and the year off.

I don't know. I'm very interested to see how he grades out on Saban's board.

Personally, I have no problem taking him at 16.

In fact, I want to.

Geforce
03-22-2006, 01:36 AM
I think you are confusing Cromartie's Pro Day with his Combine numbers. He did not perform that well at the combine. Other than having one of the longest broad jump he wasn't happy with his Combine performance. That is why he chose to "retake" them at his Pro Day. Nevertheless, the numbers he put up during his Pro Day was quite impressive indeed.
I like Cromartie but something special would have to happen before he is taken with the 16 pick.

playmaker1
03-22-2006, 02:21 AM
I think 16 is kinda high for him, I would love him on our team, but I think we would have to trade down. He is off an injury, but I think he could be the best CB in the draft. There, you can put me down for saying that. Im on record

stoody24
03-22-2006, 03:07 AM
Look At My Sig

Skeet84
03-22-2006, 04:10 AM
He is worth the risk at 16 IMO however we don't need a CB now and that brings up the question why would you draft someone you don't need. He could be a top 5 talent next year, So I would take a chance on him. It would make our CB's a strength not a weakness!

playmaker1
03-22-2006, 04:14 AM
Look At My Sig

I am looking at your sig. I think Carpenter will go in the first, Jacobs in the third. I think all of your ideas are off. Sorry, I like th guys you want, but they are really a reach

Psychosikes
03-22-2006, 04:51 AM
He is 7 months removed from tearing his ACL i believe.

How often do you find a 6'2" corner with speed/acceleration/agility of a 5'9" guy? Saban likes his corners big and fast...

If he's still there at 16 (which i think is a reach) i would be thrilled if we grab him.

playmaker1
03-22-2006, 04:59 AM
He is 7 months removed from tearing his ACL i believe.

How often do you find a 6'2" corner with speed/acceleration/agility of a 5'9" guy? Saban likes his corners big and fast...

If he's still there at 16 (which i think is a reach) i would be thrilled if we grab him.

I think he will be a late first round pick because of that injury

stoody24
03-22-2006, 12:12 PM
I am looking at your sig. I think Carpenter will go in the first, Jacobs in the third. I think all of your ideas are off. Sorry, I like th guys you want, but they are really a reachthanks for the input

even with carpenters injury hes coming off with?? = you still think he will go in the first??

what QB will be there in the 4th??

Flyer22
03-22-2006, 12:32 PM
what QB will be there in the 4th??
The list of QBs we might look at in/after the 4th goes like this:
1. Clemens
2. Gradkowski
3. Meyer
4. Shockley
5. Vick

I don't think any of those guys are worth a 4th round pick. I would take Clemens or Gradkowski in the 7th, but they won't last that long. Meyer is a stretch, Shockley even more so, and I wouldn't touch Vick with a 60 ft. pole.

stoody24
03-22-2006, 12:41 PM
The list of QBs we might look at in/after the 4th goes like this:
1. Clemens
2. Gradkowski
3. Meyer
4. Shockley
5. Vick

I don't think any of those guys are worth a 4th round pick. I would take Clemens or Gradkowski in the 7th, but they won't last that long. Meyer is a stretch, Shockley even more so, and I wouldn't touch Vick with a 60 ft. pole.thanks flyer

Boomer
03-22-2006, 12:41 PM
Cromartie is one of the Dolphins main targets. He remains one of the few people that Saban and Mueller have personally taken to dinner, we were all over him at the FSU pro day, the upside potential is through the roof, any comparison to Jimmy Williams is futile as Williams isn't a great pure cover guy and will be a safety. Cromartie's straight line speed isn't as good as his lateral change of direction a 3.89 short shuttle, more than 0.50 quicker than his 40 time, highlighting what exceptional hips he possesses.

SF Dolphin Fan
03-22-2006, 12:45 PM
With all the talent in this draft, I wouldn't gamble a first on Cromartie. I do think some team will, though.

Geforce
03-22-2006, 12:47 PM
Cromartie is one of the Dolphins main targets. He remains one of the few people that Saban and Mueller have personally taken to dinner, we were all over him at the FSU pro day, the upside potential is through the roof, any comparison to Jimmy Williams is futile as Williams isn't a great pure cover guy and will be a safety. Cromartie's straight line speed isn't as good as his lateral change of direction a 3.89 short shuttle, more than 0.50 quicker than his 40 time, highlighting what exceptional hips he possesses.
3.89? That's the best time I've seen this year for the short shuttle. The big question is, do we take him at 16 or do we have to move down?

Boomer
03-22-2006, 12:51 PM
Pat Watkins' short shuttle time was 3.88.

Yes, if he's there, then we make strong consideration to taking him.

Geforce
03-22-2006, 01:03 PM
Pat Watkins' short shuttle time was 3.88.
I stand corrected. Amazing agility by those FSU DBs.

Boomer
03-22-2006, 01:22 PM
;)

stoody24
03-22-2006, 01:23 PM
boomer
who could we trade down with??
Indy so they can get their RB??
is it likely???

Boomer
03-22-2006, 01:26 PM
It's a great conversation piece but much less likely in practice.

stoody24
03-22-2006, 01:28 PM
It's a great conversation piece but much less likely in practice.thanks boomer

Boomer
03-22-2006, 01:33 PM
No worries dude.

stoody24
03-22-2006, 01:54 PM
No worries dude.hey boomer
any suggestions for the 3rd and 4th round picks in my sig

MiamiMan147
03-22-2006, 02:08 PM
My top 2 choices for our #1 pick are 2 Noles (Cromartie and Bunkley).

I feel so dirty.

:boohoo:

Boomer
03-22-2006, 02:23 PM
hey boomer
any suggestions for the 3rd and 4th round picks in my sig

Fred Matua, LeKevin Smith?

stoody24
03-22-2006, 02:30 PM
Fred Matua, LeKevin Smith?thanks again for your input boomer

Boomer
03-22-2006, 02:34 PM
Stoody, no worries mate

vinivedivichi
03-22-2006, 03:59 PM
I love the athleticism of Cromartie and Watkins, but their overall size scares me a bit. It seems like the Lincoln boys have really thin builds but are super-athletic. Craphonso Thorpe had unreal speed, but I think he was probably too fragile for the NFL. I just don't know if either Cromartie or Watkins can hold up in the NFL.

Just Win Baby
03-22-2006, 05:15 PM
Boomer what's your thoughts on Ernie Sims? thanks in advance.

dolphin23
03-22-2006, 07:45 PM
Hey Boomer can you shed some light on this? Now im really not sure but I heard he is actually a true sophomore, also he only played one season under cb and he didn't even finish because he got hurt. So in reality he has all of the great skills but not that much experience. So do you still think the phins would grab him @16, I mean does he warrant a first round pick? I just think he has a lot of question mark on him and also he is fresh from his injury although he made his mark on his proday.

stoody24
03-23-2006, 12:06 AM
Hey Boomer can you shed some light on this? Now im really not sure but I heard he is actually a true sophomore, also he only played one season under cb and he didn't even finish because he got hurt. So in reality he has all of the great skills but not that much experience. So do you still think the phins would grab him @16, I mean does he warrant a first round pick? I just think he has a lot of question mark on him and also he is fresh from his injury although he made his mark on his proday.wow thats interesting
i havent heard of that

Geforce
03-23-2006, 12:17 AM
Hey Boomer can you shed some light on this? Now im really not sure but I heard he is actually a true sophomore, also he only played one season under cb and he didn't even finish because he got hurt. So in reality he has all of the great skills but not that much experience. So do you still think the phins would grab him @16, I mean does he warrant a first round pick? I just think he has a lot of question mark on him and also he is fresh from his injury although he made his mark on his proday.
Where do you guys get this stuff? Cromartie was an All-ACC selection his Sophomore season and got hurt last summer, which would have been his junior year. He is inexperience as a starter but not as a player. He never played a full season as a starter at FSU. He'll be 22 next month.

GCD960
03-23-2006, 12:34 AM
why would you draft someone you don't need.

BPA

What postition are we of need in? You can say all or none. We are about the same in all. DL, OL, Secondary, WRs, LBs...i think we can use 1 more guy of impact in any/all of these positions or we can stay put and be content.

South Florida
03-23-2006, 01:01 AM
http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20060316/capt.flsc10303162102.seminole_pro_day_flsc103.jpg?x=380&y=292&sig=hmVaWsjNlhi9._KGicNJcA--

That looks like the kind of player I want covering my opponent's wideout.

At 16 or anywhere.

Boomer
03-23-2006, 04:31 AM
Boomer what's your thoughts on Ernie Sims? thanks in advance.

Outstanding linebacker, ferocious tackler, relentless in pursuit, undersized at 5'11, very fast, very athletic, solid in coverage, experienced at the SAM and the WILL. May go as high as 12. Strong Dolphin interest.

Boomer
03-23-2006, 04:35 AM

OK, Cromartie would be a senior this year. He came in and played in every game but 2 in 2 seasons. People talk about him only starting 1 game, which technically is true, but doesn't even scratch the surface of the way that Bobby Bowden and Mickey Andrews run their defence. Essentially Cro, Leroy Smith and Bryant McFadden all started in a 3 CB rotation. And Bobby's 'starters' literally mean that.....players who start the game.....the very first play. Cro played an awful lot of snaps.

His injury was suffered between sophomore and junior years when getting caught up with WR Chris Davis on a jumpball.

Yes, he has experience, yes he's worth the 16 pick and yes he seems 100% from the injury if the shuttle and cone drills are anything to go by.

dolphin23
03-23-2006, 01:15 PM
Appreciate your info Boomer, was confused by one of my buddies. Again thanks.

Bellson
03-23-2006, 01:18 PM
Look At My Sig

I like your Brandon Marshall pick... he's got some serious talent.

Boomer
03-23-2006, 01:29 PM
Appreciate your info Boomer, was confused by one of my buddies. Again thanks.

No worries dude. Give your buddy a beatdown.

South Florida
03-24-2006, 02:07 PM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/9331032

Vic Carruci has Cromartie as the 2nd best available corner back, ahead of Jimmy Williams.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
03-24-2006, 02:14 PM
cromartie didn't "start" on a technicality. much like ronnie brown didn't "start" at auburn. it was a 2-back system, and that seems to confuse people. cromartie saw a TON of time on the field for F$U. and if you want to get more technical with ronnie brown, he actually "started" in the sugar bowl (off-topic, but you know what i mean).

Roman529
03-25-2006, 12:38 AM
I would take Jimmy Williams of Va Tech ahead of Cromartie...just because he has played more and you don't have the injury that Cromartie had. Cromartie's 40 speed and vertical jump looks like he has recovered but I still would take Williams if we go for a DB in the 1st, Cromartie 2nd, Hill 3rd.

Boomer
03-25-2006, 07:36 AM
Alas, Williams is a safety at the next level.