PDA

View Full Version : Well, I just messed myself up for the next two years or so

PassRush
03-22-2006, 01:22 PM
As some of you knew, I had been accepted to police academy and was supposed to start in Augest. Well, yesterday was my day off. Some friends and I got together a game of football at the beach. Long story short, I ended up pulling a Culpepper and tore my ACL and Meniscus. Operating room here I come:shakeno:

nlp0121
03-22-2006, 01:25 PM
As some of you knew, I had been accepted to police academy and was supposed to start in Augest. Well, yesterday was my day off. Some friends and I got together a game of football at the beach. Long story short, I ended up pulling a Culpepper and tore my ACL and Meniscus. Operating room here I come:shakeno:

Damn dude that sucks. Sorry to hear that. Shouldn't it be more like pulling a "Robert Edwards"?

BrazForPhins
03-22-2006, 01:27 PM
man, that's sooo bad, I feel sorry for ya :(

I hope u recover the sooner :wink:

PassRush
03-22-2006, 01:30 PM
Oh crap, I just realized I posted this in the main forum, my mistake. Mods, lounge it.

PlexGod
03-22-2006, 01:33 PM
Damn that sucks...... And i am going to the beach tomorrow and now im kinda in the mood to stay home. :confused:

SQuinn17
03-22-2006, 01:35 PM
that sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! football and the beach dont work well together

whatsburning
03-22-2006, 01:36 PM
Wasn't there something in your contract about staying away from knee breaking activities??

Get well soon...

GRAPEAPE
03-22-2006, 01:36 PM
As some of you knew, I had been accepted to police academy and was supposed to start in Augest. Well, yesterday was my day off. Some friends and I got together a game of football at the beach. Long story short, I ended up pulling a Culpepper and tore my ACL and Meniscus. Operating room here I come:shakeno:Sorry bout the news PR. You'll recover!! Look at me and Nabo, were semi productive members of society:wink:

ckparrothead
03-22-2006, 01:38 PM
Man that sucks. If it makes you feel any better Boomer just did the same thing during a soccer game a few days ago.

Miami2Canton
03-22-2006, 01:40 PM
Marinelli will understand, he's good like that:fire:

Don't worry, I had a full reconst. done, L knee, and I completed the academy fine and had a succesful career, the real learning is on the streets anyway.

John Biello
03-22-2006, 01:56 PM
could be worse, now youll have nothing better to do but go to fins games with us. also you may get sympathy from hot chicks, a cool scar, and time out of work

bullseyeguy
03-22-2006, 02:01 PM
Hey atleast you will be getting some good pain pills.

Southmaniac
03-22-2006, 02:02 PM
Man i suffered the same injury 1 year ago playing rugby here in Chile, don't worry about the operation, just take the right steps in the recovering period. Good Luck :wink:

Mainge
03-22-2006, 02:03 PM
could be worse, now youll have nothing better to do but go to fins games with us. also you may get sympathy from hot chicks, a cool scar, and time out of work

LOL, that does'nt sound bad.
Excuse me, I think I'm gonna go stunt riding with Kellen Winslow Jr.

Rubbin420
03-22-2006, 02:05 PM

Im sorry to hear that, but I have just the thing to make you feel better.

Some friends and I are having a little party on a boat with some chickies. Wanna go?:evil:

WharfRat
03-22-2006, 02:06 PM
Oh crap, I just realized I posted this in the main forum, my mistake. Mods, lounge it.

Done :cooldude:

Sal Lisitano
03-22-2006, 02:07 PM

geez man...i feel bad for you bro.

well the good news is...that you probably will be fine by august.

my cousin who is 24 years old tore his acl and messed up his meniscus in oct. 05 playing flag football...he did it on his own...he was not hit or touched...he went one way and his knee didn't and everyone on the field heard a big pop...he knew it was a bad injury.

he had to wait for the swelling to stop...before surgery...he had surgery in nov. 05.

with phyiscal therapy and a lot of hard work...he is back to jogging lightly...so in about a month...he should be back to almost normal...he plans on playing softball in april so he must feel confident.

good luck!!!

Go Fins!!!

PassRush
03-22-2006, 02:44 PM
Well, in highschool I tore my Meniscus and sprained my ACL, The surgery itself was great but I went to the most remidial rehab center in town. I am just pissed that I have to do it again, only this time the recovery is probably going to take a while longer. I am actualy sitting at work right now with crutches leaning up against the wall. I actualy cannot wait for the operation because to me that is a two week vacation, all I like to do on my days off are sit on my *** anyway so I cant be too upset. I am just pissed that this will put off my entering the academy and that sex will prove to be a challange for the next few months.

Buddwalk
03-22-2006, 04:03 PM
wow thats suck bro...sorry

Roman529
03-22-2006, 04:08 PM
I feel your pain bro. Back in September, 2003 I was watching a Dolphin's game at sportsbar with some of my Dolphin buddies. We all went outside like we do every halftime to throw the football around in the parking lot. I tried to throw a long bomb and after a few throws I felt a pop in my right shoulder....I did not think much if it but a few weeks later my shoulder was still hurting...I had rotator cuff surgery a few months later. My shoulder is still kind of sore. :boohoo: Hope your knee heels.

ChrisKo
03-22-2006, 04:58 PM
Sorry to hear it, I would never wish knee surgery on anyone. I've gone through ACL tears in both knees and know exactly what you're going through. In fact, I watched the great New England game last year while recovering from knee surgery.

Wish you the best!

CHRISCANEQB726
03-22-2006, 11:47 PM
how is it ppl break the acl and tear there knees in the sand ?

robert edwards seen come cases bout some ppl also

CHRISCANEQB726
03-22-2006, 11:50 PM
how do u kno when u have a tear somewhere?

and how do u kno when your rotator cuff has a tear or torn labrum?

what are the common effects for this ?

Fin Fan in Cali
03-22-2006, 11:58 PM
Brother PassRush, I am sorry to hear about your injury. I wish you a speedy recovery Bro, and then get after your dream!:ffic:

Jimmy James
03-23-2006, 12:20 AM
First off, I'm sorry to hear about your injury, PassRush. May it heal quickly and well.

how do u kno when u have a tear somewhere?

I do believe that with an ACL, they can make a good preliminary guess with a physical exam of the knee. They follow that up with an MRI. That's based on my understanding of what NFL teams do to check. I am no doctor.

Bobby Humphrey
03-23-2006, 02:03 AM

Are u guaranteed back into the academy when you are all healed up?

PassRush
03-23-2006, 02:14 AM
Are u guaranteed back into the academy when you are all healed up?

Not sure yet. I really hope so.

As far as knowing when it is torn, I knew it the second my foot was planted in the sand and I saw that guy flying at me. It had happend to me before. Otherwise, my mother is a nurse and she agreed with me. I had an MRI this afternoon durring an extended lunch break(dont ask me why I was at work, I was beyond pissed). It is a mostly torn ACL, the meniscus they could not tell because of the swelling but no matter what they are removing it because it was repaired before.

Bobby Humphrey
03-23-2006, 02:21 AM
Man, they better let you in once you recover …….

I have been trying to get into the academy for years, and am still not in. Most people don’t understand how hard it is to get in. It’s not like applying for any other job in the world ……

What agency have you been accepted for?

I wish you nothing but luck brother ……

Jimmy James
03-23-2006, 02:28 AM
I know that an acquaintance of mine at school who will be graduating with me in May went through the grueling FBI entrance evaluation and got in. That has to be a pretty tough ticket if they don't just automatically accept you if you have a law degree.

I think there are folks who can sympathize with you academy hopefuls, though. Vet school is insanely difficult to get into, largely because there are only something like 25 or 30 schools in the whole nation. Some states even share a program (Virginia and Maryland do, for instance).

Miamian
03-23-2006, 02:53 AM
Man that sucks. You may be thinking it was a mistake and "oh damn, why was I so stupid?" If you go through life like that you may as well sit at home. Accidents happen.

I hope you recover really soon.

PassRush
03-23-2006, 11:36 AM
Thanks to all you guys for your wishes and support. I hope they let me into the academy after this but now is not the time to worry about it. I am trying to set a date for the operation right now. Looking backwards playing that game was not a great idea, on the other hand I play almost every week and I was not about to miss one. Hell, when I recover I will be right back out there.

ChrisKo
03-23-2006, 04:54 PM
First off, I'm sorry to hear about your injury, PassRush. May it heal quickly and well.

I do believe that with an ACL, they can make a good preliminary guess with a physical exam of the knee. They follow that up with an MRI. That's based on my understanding of what NFL teams do to check. I am no doctor.

Usually with an ACL, they will do some stability tests first and a couple of other things until an MRI is done. The stability test that hurts a lot is you sitting on the table with your knee bent up and your foot flat on the table. The doctor will sit on top of your foot/ankle and pull behind your knee (top of calf) towards your toes. Note: THIS HURTS!!!!! They will also do some bending of the knee and some rotation to get a better feeling for the stability.

Usually, by the time you get to the doctor's office, you knee will be very nicely swollen and the doctor will want to drain it to relieve some pain/discomfort. During the drain, if there's a significant amount of blood, that is a big sign to a torn ACL as it is the ligament that will bleed. A broken bone will also leave a significant amount of blood as well.

Once they've gone through these steps, they schedule you an MRI to verify the soft tissue damage.

I'm not a doctor, but after my knee troubles, I've gained quiet a bit of experience.

Motion
03-23-2006, 05:13 PM
Sorry to hear that man. Get well soon!

lazareth
03-23-2006, 05:22 PM
get well soon

hope she was on your medical team :wink::

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/03/surgeon-1.jpg

wpgfishfan
03-23-2006, 08:21 PM
Man, they better let you in once you recover …….

I have been trying to get into the academy for years, and am still not in. Most people don’t understand how hard it is to get in. It’s not like applying for any other job in the world ……

What agency have you been accepted for?

I wish you nothing but luck brother ……

You trying for RCMP?? or city police??

FinFan72
03-23-2006, 08:24 PM
Thats a bummer Get well soon dude

Bobby Humphrey
03-23-2006, 09:25 PM
You trying for RCMP?? or city police??

RCMP