PDA

View Full Version : Is this illegal??

MustangFinFan
03-23-2006, 01:14 PM
Okay so im supposed to go to Court at the end of April, my ex-girlfriend is accusing me of something i didnt do , and i have all the proof in the world that i didnt do it. Lets say that i created a new e-mail, messaged her pretending to be someone else, and she says "im taking my ex-boyfriend to court but he didnt do anything, im just lying about all of this" and i save that...take it to Court in MY DEFENSE, to PROVE i did nothing...is that illegal?? basically...im creating a new e-mail, pretending to be someone else, to get information that could HELP ME in court....can u do that??

btw, this is in Canada.

Skeet84
03-23-2006, 01:21 PM
Canada you Say? I don't know, But impersonating someone in the United States is Illegal. Telling us what all happened we could help more in your defense. If you really wanna win than a good lawyer will help ALOT!

FinFrenzy
03-23-2006, 01:21 PM
Do you have attorney's in Canada?

MustangFinFan
03-23-2006, 01:23 PM
Canada you Say? I don't know, But impersonating someone in the United States is Illegal. Telling us what all happened we could help more in your defense. If you really wanna win than a good lawyer will help ALOT!

impersonating?? i dont really call it impersonating...imagine i dont say a last name, so the only name i give out is...anything, like JACOB. So if i just say a first name, i dont think it would be considered impersonating.

MustangFinFan
03-23-2006, 01:26 PM
Do you have attorney's in Canada?

well im currently in Virginia (at home). but in Canada i dont have a lawyer, for this case...i dont need a lawyer, the girl is 16 and really stupid...she knows shes lying and showing fake e-mails to the court, and when they find out..she will get busted. I have so much on her, she has really nothing on me, except a fake e-mail and her and her friends who lie about everything. This case really is stupid, me along with so many other people think its ridiculous...when its over, im gonna ask the judge that she pays for my expenses to travel up and down...and also id like to ask for compensation...for her putting me thru months of stress, defamation, and because her mom called me and threatened and harassed me. "im gonna get u, u better run, u better watch out when u walk around toronto u stupid fu*cking american son of a bi*tch." -thats what she said...plus she left a message on my answering machine calling me a fu*cking shi*thead.

Philter25
03-23-2006, 01:43 PM
You are asking a football message board lounge legal advice? Half the guys in this lounge havent graduated college.......

I like the approach..... next time I need car advice, Ill be sure to head over to the Tampax forum to see what those women have to say.

MustangFinFan
03-23-2006, 01:52 PM
isnt this The Lounge? "talk about anything non-football related":confused:

GRAPEAPE
03-23-2006, 01:55 PM
isnt this The Lounge? "talk about anything non-football related":confused:I "believe" what Philter means is, we have a diverse group of people here, but no Lawyers to speak of. You may be asking the wrong people.

Skeet84
03-23-2006, 01:55 PM
impersonating?? i dont really call it impersonating...imagine i dont say a last name, so the only name i give out is...anything, like JACOB. So if i just say a first name, i dont think it would be considered impersonating.

If you are using it as evidence againist someone else and you made up the e-mail than yes thats impersonating. However its very very unlikely they would catch you. Besides knowing that anyone could have made the e-mail up its very unlikely that will help you in your case.

Skeet84
03-23-2006, 01:57 PM
You are asking a football message board lounge legal advice? Half the guys in this lounge havent graduated college.......

I like the approach..... next time I need car advice, Ill be sure to head over to the Tampax forum to see what those women have to say.

I have some experience in the area however I am no lawyer.

Noodle Arm
03-23-2006, 02:07 PM
I'm not a lawyer....but I play one on TV :D

Seriously though, I don't think it would be permissible in U.S. courts, btut I don't know about Canada

Skeet84
03-23-2006, 02:13 PM
E-mails are allowed in US courts, But without proof thats there e-mail address than its not anything you cn use.

mor911
03-23-2006, 02:14 PM
The Mor has no freaking clue what's going on here...

WharfRat
03-23-2006, 02:53 PM
Ask Jimmy James...he's a lawyer.

However, what you suggest sounds to me like you're dancing on the edge of legality. If you can't prove it's her Email address, then it probably won't be admissible. AND...if she manages to prove that it was you who created that fake address... you'd be in a heap of trouble I think.

FinFan72
03-23-2006, 03:14 PM

:sidelol:

Amars
03-23-2006, 03:15 PM
The Mor has no freaking clue what's going on here...

:yeahthat:

NJFINSFAN1
03-23-2006, 03:19 PM
Let me get this, your in Virginia and the case is in Canada???

If so, what are they going to do, send the Mounties after you?:rolleyes:

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/03/mounties_050310-1.jpg

branflakecereal
03-23-2006, 03:26 PM
Okay so im supposed to go to Court at the end of April, my ex-girlfriend is accusing me of something i didnt do , and i have all the proof in the world that i didnt do it. Lets say that i created a new e-mail, messaged her pretending to be someone else, and she says "im taking my ex-boyfriend to court but he didnt do anything, im just lying about all of this" and i save that...take it to Court in MY DEFENSE, to PROVE i did nothing...is that illegal?? basically...im creating a new e-mail, pretending to be someone else, to get information that could HELP ME in court....can u do that??

btw, this is in Canada.

If its not illegal, its just plain dumb to try. Will just make you look bad. Take the moral high road, and the court will see her as the culprit she is.

WharfRat
03-23-2006, 03:31 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/pix/mounties_050310.jpg

either that or send you PMs until your inbox is full :goof:

Philter25
03-23-2006, 04:03 PM
I "believe" what Philter means is, we have a diverse group of people here, but no Lawyers to speak of. You may be asking the wrong people.Exactly. Although im sure there is a lawyer or 2 around here, I think JJ and 1972 are both lawyers IIRC...... If you are going to court on something, I would make sure I had my facts straight on what is and ISNT illegal and acceptable in court...... I wouldnt trust what some 18 year old told me on a football message board. But hey, best of luck to you. :D

d-day
03-23-2006, 04:07 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/pix/mounties_050310.jpg

bobby h

NJFINSFAN1
03-23-2006, 04:24 PM
bobby h

:rolleyes:

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

RWhitney014
03-23-2006, 05:10 PM
Phunwin is also a lawyer. But this is not the place to be asking legal questions. Everything is traceable on the Internet. So if you do this, which is a bad idea, her lawyer can do a search on the Net to test its authenticity, and when this very thread turns up, game's up. Don't do it.

Oh yeah, if you have the question "is this illegal?", even if it's not, it's probably not the best idea.

Clark Kent
03-23-2006, 05:27 PM
I'm not a lawyer....but I play one on TV :D

Seriously though, I don't think it would be permissible in U.S. courts, btut I don't know about Canada
I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a holiday in last night :D

WeVie
03-23-2006, 06:08 PM
So come on man, tell what she said you did. We are all family here right?

Philter25
03-23-2006, 08:06 PM
So come on man, tell what she said you did. We are all family here right?

Im sure we all can make somewhat of educated guesses. Lets play 20 questions..... Questions 1 and 2

Is the original poster OVER 18?
Is the female we are talking about UNDER 18?

FLOUNDER
03-23-2006, 08:19 PM
You're gonna get Dudley Dooright on your a$$....lol

WeVie
03-23-2006, 09:34 PM
Im sure we all can make somewhat of educated guesses. Lets play 20 questions..... Questions 1 and 2

Is the original poster OVER 18?
Is the female we are talking about UNDER 18?

Are the laws the same for that in Canada? I thought I heard one time that in Canada you are guilty intill proven innocent. Is that right?

HysterikiLL
03-23-2006, 09:40 PM
:chuckle: I notice Jimmy isn't in here.....that's because if he gives you any advice, he'll probably want to give you a $200 invoice as well :chuckle:

cnc66
03-23-2006, 09:46 PM
Bobby Humphrey RCMP

FinaciousOne
03-23-2006, 09:46 PM

They might be able to answer your questions on warranty periods, break-in periods, financing periods, maintanence periods............

Jimmy James
03-23-2006, 09:51 PM

To be clear, I'm a law student. Nothing I say anywhere should be taken as legal advice. I would not ever want to be considered to be practicing law without a license. I also have absolutely no fricking clue about Canada. As they say, it's a whole other country and everything. :D

With all of that said, I can say this sounds like a very bad idea to me. If you think your case hinges on the other person making up emails, I can't imagine that it would be a good idea to get yourself caught doing something similar.

I'd suggest getting a lawyer and being done with it instead of concentrating on schemes to outsmart the person complaining about you. It would also probably be best to have absolutely nothing to do with the person complaining about you.

Celtkin
03-23-2006, 09:59 PM

However, what you suggest sounds to me like you're dancing on the edge of legality. If you can't prove it's her Email address, then it probably won't be admissible. AND...if she manages to prove that it was you who created that fake address... you'd be in a heap of trouble I think.

Jimmy James is a lawyer? I thought he was still in school

Oh Christ...we are in trouble now :lol:

Jimmy James
03-23-2006, 10:02 PM
Jimmy James is a lawyer?

Oh Christ...we are in trouble now :lol:

Hey! I resemble that remark! :goof:

Alex44
03-23-2006, 10:03 PM

You dont have to be a lawyer to know law

Im 15 but im pretty sure its illegal to murder people, lighten up

Celtkin
03-23-2006, 10:05 PM
Hey! I resemble that remark! :goof:
:D :up:

Jimmy James
03-23-2006, 10:06 PM

Im 15 but im pretty sure its illegal to murder people, lighten up

You have to agree with the wisdom that if you have to ask if it's illegal, it's probably not a good idea.

Right?

spydertl79
03-23-2006, 11:38 PM
What did you do man?

Roman529
03-24-2006, 12:39 AM
I also briefly went to law school.....I don't think there is anything illegal in what you did. You cannot tape record another person without their consent and have it be used as admissable evidence in most situations, but I don't think it applies to e-mails? Not sure what you did is "ethical" or admissable in court, but hopefully you can get this straightened out and maybe settle out of court...not sure what happened exactly, but it sounds like a "he said, she said" thing.

RWhitney014
03-24-2006, 01:07 AM
You have to agree with the wisdom that if you have to ask if it's illegal, it's probably not a good idea.

Right?
:bravo:

MustangFinFan
03-24-2006, 08:22 AM
the difference between me and her is...she is taking e-mails that i sent her, and editing it..putting her own words into it, AND possibly hacking into my accounts and sending herself e-mails. What I WANNA DO, is create an e-mail...talk to her, and get vital information out of her in MY DEFENSE. so im not hacking, im not editing, and im not impersonating anyone we know.

and i do know that Canada is a one-party consent country...u only need one person to consent to recording a conversation

Alex44
03-24-2006, 08:25 AM

Right?

Yeah in general thats a good rule to live by :lol:

Philter25
03-24-2006, 09:50 AM

Im 15 but im pretty sure its illegal to murder people, lighten up I dont need to lighten up, it was originally a lighthearted comment suggesting that if he needs serious legal advice, he should go to the right source, not guys on a football message board.

And yes, basic common law sense everyone should have, but from what he is asking, it seems a little more involved than "if I kill her, is it ok?" :smackhead
I highly doubt anyone here knows OR PRACTICES Canadian law, most of the stuff said here is speculation or a guess.... but I would be more than happy for kid who hasnt graduated highschool to prove me wrong.

Alex44
03-24-2006, 10:11 AM
I dont need to lighten up, it was originally a lighthearted comment suggesting that if he needs serious legal advice, he should go to the right source, not guys on a football message board.

And yes, basic common law sense everyone should have, but from what he is asking, it seems a little more involved than "if I kill her, is it ok?" :smackhead
I highly doubt anyone here knows OR PRACTICES Canadian law, most of the stuff said here is speculation or a guess.... but I would be more than happy for kid who hasnt graduated highschool to prove me wrong.

A lot of people here live in canada, just like a lot of people here live in the USA, you dont have to practice law to know about it, they could have had an experience with it and know its legal/illegal, or just have an interest in law in general, the people here who do live in canada probally do know a little bit about Canadian law, Some people here have said 'I know its illegal in the US' so why cant a canadian member come and know whether it is legal/illegal in Canada

UltraDol-Fan
03-24-2006, 10:41 AM
Ok guys, I have a solution. He needs to go to a CANADIAN Miami Dolphins forum to get the info he needs. That should clear everything up.

Noodle Arm
03-24-2006, 10:57 AM
Ok guys, I have a solution. He needs to go to a CANADIAN Miami Dolphins forum to get the info he needs. That should clear everything up.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2007/04/terrence_et_Philip02-1.jpg

"Hey buddy, take her *** to court"

"but Terrence, what if she tries to frame him?"

*Poot*

"HA HA HA HA HA"

Philter25
03-24-2006, 11:14 AM
A lot of people here live in canada, just like a lot of people here live in the USA, you dont have to practice law to know about it, they could have had an experience with it and know its legal/illegal, or just have an interest in law in general, the people here who do live in canada probally do know a little bit about Canadian law, Some people here have said 'I know its illegal in the US' so why cant a canadian member come and know whether it is legal/illegal in Canada

Just because someone lives in Canada and has a similar experience, doesnt make them the all-knowing source of Canadian law. If you are going to court on something serious, would you really trust the opinion of someone who isnt a lawyer on a message board? If you would, good for you but thats horrible advice.

I dont know the seriousness of his case, but if I faced jail time or a fine or a restraining order, I would want to know 100% that I have the right facts and wouldnt trust someone on a football internet message board who claimed to have a similar experience. Any idiot can come on here and pretend to be a lawyer and know what he is talking about........

If you want to trust them, then I have some goregeous beachfront property in Oklahoma that Id like to sell you, real cheap! :lol:

GRAPEAPE
03-24-2006, 11:18 AM
If you want to trust them, then I have some goregeous beachfront property in Oklahoma that Id like to sell you, real cheap! :lol: I always wanted to live by the beach, How much are we talking per acre? Is the property zoned commercial,or residential? And also could it be subdivided?

Alex44
03-24-2006, 11:41 AM
Just because someone lives in Canada and has a similar experience, doesnt make them the all-knowing source of Canadian law. If you are going to court on something serious, would you really trust the opinion of someone who isnt a lawyer on a message board? If you would, good for you but thats horrible advice.

I dont know the seriousness of his case, but if I faced jail time or a fine or a restraining order, I would want to know 100% that I have the right facts and wouldnt trust someone on a football internet message board who claimed to have a similar experience. Any idiot can come on here and pretend to be a lawyer and know what he is talking about........

If you want to trust them, then I have some goregeous beachfront property in Oklahoma that Id like to sell you, real cheap! :lol:

Im not saying to ONLY take advice here, but its not a bad thing to ask, hell at least he asked someone before doing it

I mean come on there are waaay worse threads than this, I dont think any of us are NFL Gm's but we still ask draft questions and so on

EDIT- Oh and about that property in Oklahoma :wink: :lol:

WharfRat
03-24-2006, 11:44 AM
I always wanted to live by the beach, How much are we talking per acre? Is the property zoned commercial,or residential? And also could it be subdivided?

Once you get that beachfront property... I can sell you a bridge to get you there....

It's slightly used, but still in good shape:
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/03/BrklynBrdgTug_9094-1.jpg

GRAPEAPE
03-24-2006, 12:08 PM
I'll need the boat more than the Bridge, can you sell me that boat? Is it a good ocean worthy vessel?

WharfRat
03-24-2006, 12:52 PM
I'll need the boat more than the Bridge, can you sell me that boat? Is it a good ocean worthy vessel?

Sure! I'll even throw in a case of bubble gum so you can patch the holes....

Jimmy James
03-24-2006, 01:18 PM
Is it the bridge closer or farther away in the picture? I've heard that the closer one is a scam, so I'm interested in the one farther away...

GRAPEAPE
03-24-2006, 01:46 PM
Sure! I'll even throw in a case of bubble gum so you can patch the holes....Bubble yum, or Bazooka, I heard Bazooka is the best for patching holes in leaky boats

NJFINSFAN1
03-24-2006, 01:50 PM
Bubble yum, or Bazooka, I heard Bazooka is the best for patching holes in leaky boats

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/03/plug01a-1.jpg