PDA

View Full Version : In loving memory...

lazareth
03-23-2006, 05:06 PM
My mother, Linda Marie, passed away on Friday, March 17th. I would like to share her a little with you all.

When she was about 3 years old she contracted polio and spent much of her early childhood in and out of hospitals. She spent many hours just laying in a hospital bed with nothing to really do except watching tv. It was during this time that she developed a love for watching sports. She liked baseball (big Yankees fan) and especially football.

The polio left her disabled and she spent her whole life with braces and crutches but she never let it get in the way. To those that knew her well, she was never "handicapped" and refused to be labelled as such. She never let her disability stop her from doing anything that "normal" people do. She learned to ride horses (she loved horses), learned to drive...you name it, she could do it or would at least try. She was a beautiful person inside and out. She had a spirit that did not know defeat and a smile that could affect the mood of anyone around her.

A former Jets fan (don't stop reading now!), she moved to Florida from NY at about the same time as the Dolphins were first coming into the league and as it often can happen when a person moves to a new city, she embraced the Dolphins as her new team. Although she always kept a small soft spot for the Jets, when it ever came down to the two, she chose the Dolphins every time. She brought three life-long Dolphin fans into the world---all by C-section...thanks mom! One of my brothers is also a member of FH (ponchovilla)---and the one responsible for pointing me the way to FH...thanks bro!

Wow...well I thought that I would write a book of a post about her, but it is kind of hard to put in words what she meant to me and how much I will miss her. It will be especially hard during football season when I can't just pop over to her place and watch all the games with her. Last year was rough because we only got to watch one game due to the lack of coverage. But I guess where she is now, she can see every game. At least that is my hope.

P.S. ponchovilla, if you read this please feel free to add anything you like. I love you bro.

The following pictures were taken at my brother's wedding in Morganton, NC last June...this was the last time my mother travelled away from home..

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/03/momwedding2-1.jpg
My mom and I.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/03/momwedding1-1.jpg
My middle brother, brand new sister-in-law, ponchovilla, me and my mom.

Thanks for letting me share...

:dolphins:

Mindwarp
03-23-2006, 05:11 PM
my condolences on your loss.
it hasn't been a good early year for dolphin fans.

NJFINSFAN1
03-23-2006, 05:12 PM
Hey, may she rest in peace, sounds like she lived a tough life, but she lived it! And you should be proud of how she fought thru what she had!

I hope you and the family are doing well.

And you should write the book! You could help someone thru your moms experiences. And she can live on in you and your book!

Jt0323
03-23-2006, 05:13 PM
wow, sorry to hear this man. She seemed like a real real nice person, may she RIP, you and ur family are in my prayers man

Buddwalk
03-23-2006, 05:14 PM
sorry for your loss bro

where this badge in honor of your mother

http://astridge.finheaven.com/mem.jpg
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

d-day
03-23-2006, 05:17 PM
sorry laz - share that badge budd made for my sister with me... :)

CalDolFan10x14
03-23-2006, 05:18 PM
My condolences for your loss, bro. May she rest in peace. I'll keep her, you, and your family in my prayers.

Rocky Raccoon
03-23-2006, 05:19 PM
im sorry for your loss bro, may she rest in peace.

God Bless

NaboCane
03-23-2006, 05:20 PM
I'm very sorry for your loss, Lazareth. I hope that through your faith you and your family can find peace within this storm.

Be strong, and be there for each other.

Buddwalk
03-23-2006, 05:21 PM
sorry laz - share that badge budd made for my sister with me... :)

DM made the badge...I only suggested it :wink:

dreday
03-23-2006, 05:23 PM
My sentiments from Colorado...May she RIP and bless her soul.She and my father are looking down on us now.

darkmistress
03-23-2006, 05:26 PM
I'm very sorry to hear this lazareth. My best wishes go out to you and your family.

:hug:

TJamesW_phinfan
03-23-2006, 05:28 PM
My condolences, prayers, and best wishes to you and your family.

Pagan
03-23-2006, 05:33 PM
My condolances go out to you bro. The first anniversary of my Mom's passing is this May, so it's still fresh. I know what you're going through.

Keep her in your heart man...

ponchovilla
03-23-2006, 05:33 PM
As my brother Laz pointed out, she was a Phin fan when it came right down to it. It was fun because, most moms dont give a hoot about football, but when i called her, she always wanted to know what was going on. She put up with our yelling, bitching at dumbo, sullen days after a loss, but she always said, "remember there is always a next season." Don't get to wrapped up in this thing we call football. Its just a game. Get wrapped up in the people that watch, care, and yell with you.
I dont think you could find more direhard fans than my brothers and me. I dont think you could find a mother that understood the importance of supporting her kids passions.
I know that it may not mean allot, because you never knew her, but take this away with you: Be good to your kids, love them, nurture them, and share in their passions. Do everything, everyday, every minute to show them the proper way to be a good person and a good Dolfan.

Sorry for the typos, kind misty at the moment.

GRAPEAPE
03-23-2006, 05:52 PM
Sorry To hear about your loss, Both of you. And thanks for sharing your mother life with all of us. A very brave, strong person.

WharfRat
03-23-2006, 05:53 PM
My most heartfelt condolances Laz, poncho, and your entire family...
It sounds as though she was a wonderful, strong woman, who lived her life to the fullest.... always remember that she will be with you in spirit always.
If there is anything the staff can do for you, please don't hesitate to ask.

FinFan72
03-23-2006, 06:36 PM
sorry to hear Bro

FLOUNDER
03-23-2006, 06:45 PM
Im very sorry to hear about your loss...

I will wear the "In loving memory" badge to support you and DDay
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

TotoreMexico
03-23-2006, 07:23 PM
So sorry to hear this man, be strong and my best wishes to you and your family

HelenaBucket
03-23-2006, 07:40 PM
Beautiful tribute to someone who sounds like a beautiful person. So sorry for your loss.

ILPhinFan88
03-23-2006, 09:39 PM
Sorry to hear of your guys loss, your family will be in my prayers

Ohio Fanatic
03-23-2006, 10:29 PM
damn sorry to hear it man. Not many things in the world worse than losing your mother, I know.

lazareth
03-23-2006, 11:12 PM
I just want to say thanks to everyone who took the time to view and/or respond to this thread. I had previously asked Wharf where I should post this and his advice was to put it in The Lounge. I think that fitting as I spend most of my time in here both at work (shhh, don't tell! :) ) and most late nights, wife willing ;). It has been a rough 3 years (http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showpost.php?p=1898961&postcount=23) but I am glad to have a place to go and hang out with some A+ people and I look forward to the next season (and many more) with my fellow Dolphins fans.

Cyrus, thanks for the banner and I am sorry about your sister, I did not know that was what the banner meant all those times I saw your sig.

I would also like to give my condolences to anyone else who has lost someone dear to them.

I think it would be great and I would be very honored if anyone else wants to post any thoughts, memories or pictures of their lost love ones and add to this thread.

lazareth
03-23-2006, 11:14 PM
As my brother Laz pointed out, she was a Phin fan when it came right down to it. It was fun because, most moms dont give a hoot about football, but when i called her, she always wanted to know what was going on. She put up with our yelling, bitching at dumbo, sullen days after a loss, but she always said, "remember there is always a next season." Don't get to wrapped up in this thing we call football. Its just a game. Get wrapped up in the people that watch, care, and yell with you.
I dont think you could find more direhard fans than my brothers and me. I dont think you could find a mother that understood the importance of supporting her kids passions.
I know that it may not mean allot, because you never knew her, but take this away with you: Be good to your kids, love them, nurture them, and share in their passions. Do everything, everyday, every minute to show them the proper way to be a good person and a good Dolfan.

Sorry for the typos, kind misty at the moment.

<sniff> Got me misty too, bro.

I love ya (can't say that enough).

dolfan72734me
03-23-2006, 11:18 PM
Hey bro. I don't really have any words worthy of giving you at this time, except that your post really touched me. All of us who have lost loved ones WILL see them again, and then we will be with them forever. They, nor we, will have any disabilities nor sickness. Paradise will be for all of us, some have just beat us there.

Perfect23
03-23-2006, 11:28 PM
Sorry bout your loss.

Fin Fan in Cali
03-23-2006, 11:39 PM
Bro thanks for sharing that with us. Sorry for your loss Brother. Our thoughts and prayers are with you, and your family.

Skeet84
03-23-2006, 11:42 PM
Very sorry Bro. Best wishes

Roman529
03-24-2006, 12:20 AM
Hey Lazereth, sorry to hear about your loss bro...God bless you. Always remember the times you spent with her and honor her by living your life
to the fullest.

Coral Reefer
03-24-2006, 12:23 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss.

It's never easy.

calphin
03-24-2006, 03:19 AM
God be with you in this time of need.

dominizzo
03-24-2006, 04:29 AM
My Condolences Prayers to you and your family

Kobe
03-24-2006, 09:14 AM
My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family bro...

Astro_Fiend
03-24-2006, 10:40 AM
Lazareth and Ponchovilla,
sorry for your loss, my prayers are with you and your family...

lazareth
03-24-2006, 11:49 AM
Another round of thanks to all who viewed and/or responded to this thread since my last thanks :)

Talos
03-24-2006, 11:59 AM
My condolences go out to you and yours Laz. Nothing can replace real family, but know that everyone here at FH is here for you.

d-day
03-25-2006, 05:36 AM
Cyrus, thanks for the banner and I am sorry about your sister, I did not know that was what the banner meant all those times I saw your sig.

you bet laz - here at f.h. we all share in each others pains and joys - that's what makes this place so special... :wink:

sugarcane
03-27-2006, 08:53 AM
Laz,Ponch,my deepest sympathies to your entire family.I feel your pain,lost my mom in Oct 2004 who was also a huge Phins Phan.The last thing she bought me was a sweat outfit with I heart my Phins right across the butt.

RIP Mother Phin Phans. :(

lazareth
03-27-2006, 10:30 AM
Laz,Ponch,my deepest sympathies to your entire family.I feel your pain,lost my mom in Oct 2004 who was also a huge Phins Phan.The last thing she bought me was a sweat outfit with I heart my Phins right across the butt.

RIP Mother Phin Phans. :(
thanks bro, sorry for your loss as well

_dan24
03-27-2006, 11:54 AM
Sorry for your loss guys - May she RIP

sugarcane
03-27-2006, 01:52 PM
thanks bro, sorry for your loss as well

Uhhhhhhhhhh sugarcane is a sista! Brutha! :wink: