PDA

View Full Version : A little story...

inFINSible
03-24-2006, 05:42 PM
I worked this week for a man named Robert...he's a huge Dolphins fan....He's got the most amazing collection of Dolphins memorobilia I've ever seen in person....All kinds of autographed footballs, helmets, and 8x10.........He's got 10 Shula autographed items, 12 Dan Marinos, 5 Bob Greises...and just about anybody else you can think of....his room is amazing.....his den is astounding....I just sat there and drooled as he told me the stories of everything he has....

Robert wanted a dolphins mural on the wall of his bedroom....not the Miami Dolphins....he wanted real Dolphins so, his mother hired me to paint a mural for him...

So, i did...I didn't have my digi cam but I had my cell phone cam, still the image is a little bad....

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

After spending the last three days getting to know Robert and his 82 year old mother....I found out something that blew my mind....Robert has never been to a Dolphins game....and his mother told me this so that she could ask me if i would mind taking them to a game this year....see, Robert is handicapped, I'm not sure of the specifics but, he is a little different mentally and he's physically unable to walk without his walker or for something like the Dolphins game, he'll have to use a wheelchair....his mother said that it's always been a dream of his to go to a game but, his father didn't care much for football and after he died...in 1978....she's been taking care of robert herself, and hasn't had anyone to help her take him to a game....so, all this time, this guy has lived and breathed Dolphins football as much as any of us that post here, yet he's been unable to attend a game in person.

I'll tell you what, I couldn't say yes fast enough...shoot, I'm ecstatic just to have the opportunity to do this for them....i can't wait to see his face the entire day....he's going to light up that stadium....

His mother let me put finHeaven in his favorites on his computer so maybe someday you'll all get to hear from him but, until then, i just thought maybe you guys and girls might like to hear about him...:D

Buddwalk
03-24-2006, 06:28 PM
awesome awesome stuff man...:D :D :D

NaboCane
03-24-2006, 06:38 PM
Great story...and very nice work man.

Rocky Raccoon
03-24-2006, 06:40 PM
wow great story...and that's awfully nice of you man, good for you. :clap:

EDIT: also nice job on the painting :wink:

Jt0323
03-24-2006, 06:41 PM
wow i forgot how talented you really are, i remember seeing a pic of a tiger that you drew on the wall and i was amazed on how great u did it. nice job and great story

King Nate
03-24-2006, 06:46 PM
Wow great stuff Infins!

inFINSible
03-24-2006, 06:46 PM
Like i said, I'm simply thrilled to be given the opportunity....It was my lucky day. :D

Perfect23
03-24-2006, 06:47 PM
Great story nice artwork.

inFINSible
03-24-2006, 06:57 PM
i forgot something.....His mother brought him into the room today because he had another story to tell me....he had been to two Super Bowls!...he couldn't remember the names of the teams but, "one of them had the guy who has the trophy named after him"....I said "Lombardi?"....he said "yes! That's him!"....his mother smiled and said, robert was at the very first Super Bowl.....neither of them could remember the other game....:chuckle:

GRAPEAPE
03-24-2006, 07:01 PM
Awesome story inFINS.

cnc66
03-24-2006, 07:06 PM
I am so impressed with the story and I just had a massive post put together and it vanished.

Best story I have heard in some time, may the good Lord bless you for what you are doing Darin. I would feel exactly the same as you about who was getting the better deal. Witnessing random acts of kindness and generosity reaffirms to me that good people still exist, bless ya !

on the art...wow, nice work, you definitely "get it" not everyone can paint a living creature and make it work, you did well. I love the top pose, I have seen that jump and kick before with mine own eyes and you got it. I was commissioned to create an entry foyer floor inlay of Dolphins, so I have a pretty good collection of images for studying movement and musculature. In fact last night on another board Paulie posted a dolphin jumping that is a great expression shot, I saved it, still collecting. Anyway, I made the Dolphins out of blue and emerald pearl granite and they turned out ok.

Again bro, you are so lucky to be able to help this guy, if there is anything I may do to help please let me know.

dolfan72734me
03-24-2006, 07:16 PM
Sir, your post has definately made my day just reading it. Your view is spot on. It should always be an honar and a privilege to service anyone who is at a disadvantage. Not nearly enough of it in this day and age.
And that mural? wow, that is some awesome work.

inFINSible
03-24-2006, 07:23 PM
I am so impressed with the story and I just had a massive post put together and it vanished.

Best story I have heard in some time, may the good Lord bless you for what you are doing Darin. I would feel exactly the same as you about who was getting the better deal. Witnessing random acts of kindness and generosity reaffirms to me that good people still exist, bless ya !

Again bro, you are so lucky to be able to help this guy, if there is anything I may do to help please let me know.
Thanks for the kind words but, i honestly don't feel that I'm doing anything that anybody who was put in my position wouldn't have done... I know everybody here would have jumped at the chance, just like i did...

i appreciate the offer to help and I'll take you up on it if need be...:D

on the art...wow, nice work, you definitely "get it" not everyone can paint a living creature and make it work, you did well. I love the top pose, I have seen that jump and kick before with mine own eyes and you got it. I was commissioned to create an entry foyer floor inlay of Dolphins, so I have a pretty good collection of images for studying movement and musculature. In fact last night on another board Paulie posted a dolphin jumping that is a great expression shot, I saved it, still collecting. Anyway, I made the Dolphins out of blue and emerald pearl granite and they turned out ok.

If you don't mind me saying, i impressed myself a little with those dolphins.....and you're right, i really got into the musculature as I was painting them....i had a great picture to use so it was pretty much just me acting like a xerox machine but, as i was doing them, I could sense and feel where the muscules were...and i changed so many tiny angles of fin and snout...until it just oozed motion.....i tried really hard to get the feeling that you got....thanks for noticing.:D

Do you have any pictures of your work, it sounds great, I'd really like to see it...

FinFan72
03-24-2006, 07:29 PM
Awesome post dude, thats great what you are doing for him

calphin
03-24-2006, 07:37 PM
I worked this week for a man named Robert Walker...he's a huge Dolphins fan....He's got the most amazing collection of Dolphins memorobilia I've ever seen in person....All kinds of autographed footballs, helmets, and 8x10.........He's got 10 Shula autographed items, 12 Dan Marinos, 5 Bob Greises...and just about anybody else you can think of....his room is amazing.....his den is astounding....I just sat there and drooled as he told me the stories of everything he has....

Robert wanted a dolphins mural on the wall of his bedroom....not the Miami Dolphins....he wanted real Dolphins so, his mother hired me to paint a mural for him...

So, i did...I didn't have my digi cam but I had my cell phone cam, still the image is a little bad....

http://images.finheaven.com/photo/data/500/dolphin_mural1.jpg

After spending the last three days getting to know Robert and his 82 year old mother....I found out something that blew my mind....Robert has never been to a Dolphins game....and his mother told me this so that she could ask me if i would mind taking them to a game this year....see, Robert is handicapped, I'm not sure of the specifics but, he is a little different mentally and he's physically unable to walk without his walker or for something like the Dolphins game, he'll have to use a wheelchair....his mother said that it's always been a dream of his to go to a game but, his father didn't care much for football and after he died...in 1978....she's been taking care of robert herself, and hasn't had anyone to help her take him to a game....so, all this time, this guy has lived and breathed Dolphins football as much as any of us that post here, yet he's been unable to attend a game in person.

I'll tell you what, I couldn't say yes fast enough...shoot, I'm ecstatic just to have the opportunity to do this for them....i can't wait to see his face the entire day....he's going to light up that stadium....

His mother let me put finHeaven in his favorites on his computer so maybe someday you'll all get to hear from him but, until then, i just thought maybe you guys and girls might like to hear about him...:D

First, you have an amazing talent to be able to paint a mural, but even more so for painting murals of living, moving objects. Great Job...
Second, you are truly one of a kind. You just met a man who enjoys the Miami Dolphins as much, if not more so, than you do, and you are going to take him to fulfill a lifelong dream. I tip my hat to you,and may the rest of us learn a valuable lesson from you.

HysterikiLL
03-24-2006, 08:39 PM
Awesome pic and awesome story inFins...amazing that she's 82 and still looking after her son. You have to buy them hot dogs and everything man (even if you have to take out a loan to buy a bottle of water there!).

cnc66
03-24-2006, 08:51 PM
this is a sailfish I call Slash. Last week on the History channel they did a story on the history of "taxidermy. In it they had Mike Kirkhart, my friend and three times word champion Bill fish mounter, they gave him about ten minutes. He let me spend about two weeks pulling mounts down and sketching different views. There is a mount in his shop that is very similar to my fish.

I settled on a fast vanishing point to try and show depth, still show a large head and not have a huge work. I have the fish looking at the dinner he is coiled to slash with his bill, standing directly in front that would be your left shoulder. The eye is crystalline and glass, the blue sail and white body are crystalline, a quartzite. The upper body is emerald pearl granite, which has big beautiful crystals. The bill, which is spliced onto the upper body at the end of the bottom jaw, pectoral and tail fins are absolute granite, the bill looks remarkably like the dentifrice that adorns the real deal. The stripes are lapis lazuli and are IMO, the perfect "neon" color for them. Anyone who has witnessed them flash for real would see it. Hidden from the front is a sliver of roho marble as an exposed gill plate. I would mention that all of this is VERY sparkly stone. The background surrounding the fish is plain travertine marble.

I tried for a year to stain my white stone to achieve the yellow that exists in the wild. Nothing penetrated deep enough to allow fabrication or even polishing. I had given up and gone to Miami to get some honey onyx, soon after I was back I came across some crystalline with just enough yellow to let you know I didn't forget it. The musculature is sculpted into the body but it can't really be seen. My art is tactile art, it begs to be touched and I always have a sign "clean hands may touch" ....at an art show that is a rarity.(gets votes as peoples choice) I'll load some of my dolphins over the weekend so you can peruse them. This is in my "art show booth"

SLASH

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/07/sailfish2-1.jpg

this is taken from the extreme right side to show the gill plate you cannot see from the front.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/03/sailfish1-1.jpg

Ohio Fanatic
03-24-2006, 09:40 PM
that's some serious Karma points for you Infins. way to go.

calphin
03-25-2006, 02:11 AM
this is a sailfish I call Slash. Last week on the History channel they did a story on the history of "taxidermy. In it they had Mike Kirkhart, my friend and three times word champion Bill fish mounter, they gave him about ten minutes. He let me spend about two weeks pulling mounts down and sketching different views. There is a mount in his shop that is very similar to my fish.

I settled on a fast vanishing point to try and show depth, still show a large head and not have a huge work. I have the fish looking at the dinner he is coiled to slash with his bill, standing directly in front that would be your left shoulder. The eye is crystalline and glass, the blue sail and white body are crystalline, a quartzite. The upper body is emerald pearl granite, which has big beautiful crystals. The bill, which is spliced onto the upper body at the end of the bottom jaw, pectoral and tail fins are absolute granite, the bill looks remarkably like the dentifrice that adorns the real deal. The stripes are lapis lazuli and are IMO, the perfect "neon" color for them. Anyone who has witnessed them flash for real would see it. Hidden from the front is a sliver of roho marble as an exposed gill plate. I would mention that all of this is VERY sparkly stone. The background surrounding the fish is plain travertine marble.

I tried for a year to stain my white stone to achieve the yellow that exists in the wild. Nothing penetrated deep enough to allow fabrication or even polishing. I had given up and gone to Miami to get some honey onyx, soon after I was back I came across some crystalline with just enough yellow to let you know I didn't forget it. The musculature is sculpted into the body but it can't really be seen. My art is tactile art, it begs to be touched and I always have a sign "clean hands may touch" ....at an art show that is a rarity.(gets votes as peoples choice) I'll load some of my dolphins over the weekend so you can peruse them. This is in my "art show booth"

SLASH

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c47/cnc66/sailfish2.jpg

this is taken from the extreme right side to show the gill plate you cannot see from the front.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c47/cnc66/sailfish1.jpg

That is truly amazing. To think that someone has the talent to take a stone such as marble, and cut and shape it into something such as a sailfish deserves the title of artist, in every literal sense of the word. You truly have a talent that should indeed be shared. You should be proud, and you have every right to show off your work. Great job!

d-day
03-25-2006, 03:23 AM
I worked this week for a man named Robert Walker...he's a huge Dolphins fan....He's got the most amazing collection of Dolphins memorobilia I've ever seen in person....All kinds of autographed footballs, helmets, and 8x10.........He's got 10 Shula autographed items, 12 Dan Marinos, 5 Bob Greises...and just about anybody else you can think of....his room is amazing.....his den is astounding....I just sat there and drooled as he told me the stories of everything he has....

great story darin - my apartments walls are an empty canvas for ya if you want to... :wink:

lazareth
03-25-2006, 03:43 AM
wow...great story, great mural...

inFINSible
03-25-2006, 07:33 AM

SLASH

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c47/cnc66/sailfish2.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c47/cnc66/sailfish1.jpg

:lol: the first thing I wanted to do, was feel it. Around the gill plate, the underside of the mouth, the sail....I just wanted to touch the textures.....that is a beautiful piece of work....how long did it take?....how big is it?....

I'd love to see that in person....

I noticed the tips of the tail fin just starting to feel the pressure of the forthcoming slash....nice.

inFINSible
03-25-2006, 07:35 AM
great story darin - my apartments walls are an empty canvas for ya if you want to... :wink:
We'll talk trade....you hook me up to your machines and I'll hook you up with the world of colored walls. :chuckle:

cnc66
03-25-2006, 08:09 AM
yowsa, sounds like a deal in the working !!!

Darin, he's about three feet across. I created him specifically for an art show and one of the rules was no more than 50 pounds for hanging art. It's 48 and change. Once I decided on a pose it took about a month of very dedicated work. There WERE setbacks. Just before I glued the body together I decided to bring the polish up some. I knew once it was together that I no longer had that option. The two stones are of such dissimilar hardness they cant be polished together, one erodes before the other shines. Sooo, I put the polisher on it, the pad grabs the piece and slings it across my shop. It took two full days to re fabricate that one piece. The eye took four attempts before I could make the stone give me what I wanted. Lots of little patience testers. All in all, I had a blast making it, and I'm quite proud that I was asked to show downstairs at our Cultural Center. There were some bent noses that my first attempt at showing there was successful. I did not realize how prestigious it was considered to be invited to show there..

here is that dolphin I found yesterday, the face expression is great.

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

inFINSible
03-25-2006, 08:29 AM
yowsa, sounds like a deal in the working !!!

Darin, he's about three feet across. I created him specifically for an art show and one of the rules was no more than 50 pounds for hanging art. It's 48 and change. Once I decided on a pose it took about a month of very dedicated work. There WERE setbacks. Just before I glued the body together I decided to bring the polish up some. I knew once it was together that I no longer had that option. The two stones are of such dissimilar hardness they cant be polished together, one erodes before the other shines. Sooo, I put the polisher on it, the pad grabs the piece and slings it across my shop. It took two full days to re fabricate that one piece. The eye took four attempts before I could make the stone give me what I wanted. Lots of little patience testers. All in all, I had a blast making it, and I'm quite proud that I was asked to show downstairs at our Cultural Center. There were some bent noses that my first attempt at showing there was successful. I did not realize how prestigious it was considered to be invited to show there..

I was going to ask about the eye....I thought for a second that it was from your friends shop....but as i looked closer i could see the stone ....awesome....

here is that dolphin I found yesterday, the face expression is great.

http://www.spawar.navy.mil/sandiego/technology/mammals/Images_animals/4053p.jpg
I like the expression but, i like the water a LOT better....I'm keeping that as a water reference.....It's too bad that the dorsal is out of sight.....

cnc66
03-25-2006, 08:43 AM
I was going to ask about the eye....I thought for a second that it was from your friends shop....but as i looked closer i could see the stone ....awesome....

I like the expression but, i like the water a LOT better....I'm keeping that as a water reference.....It's too bad that the dorsal is out of sight.....

you can barely see a piece of it but the twist going on is part of the beauty. I just really like the expression, all my Dolphins have happy faces.

inFINSible
03-25-2006, 08:59 AM
that Dolphin that's flying over the top of the other one in my pic has got an awesome smirk....and the other one underneath, has this knowing, almost bored look.....i call them mama and junior.....junior is highflying and trickin....momma is content with her soul surfing.....:D

FinsAreLife
03-25-2006, 09:09 AM
heck of a story and heck of a job you did on the dolphins....great job man

inFINSible
03-25-2006, 09:27 AM
Thanks. :D

Skeet84
03-25-2006, 11:21 AM
Wow that story was awesome and I have also never been to a " Game " , But I have been to a scrimmage.

pigskinguy
03-25-2006, 11:34 AM
Wow. Just wow. That's a great story. Great artwork. And a great thing you are doing for Robert. You are a great man, inFINS.
If you are at the game I will be at during my honeymoon this season I will find you and shake your hand........and buy a beer. Or two.:D

SCall13
03-25-2006, 02:30 PM
That's a damn good story. Made my day.

Gonzo
03-25-2006, 02:47 PM
Wow infins, awesome work! How long does something like that take you? Glad you got the opportunity to meet him and his mother and help them get to a game. Which one are you thinking of bringing him to, or does it depend more on scheduling?

d-day
03-25-2006, 04:33 PM
We'll talk trade....you hook me up to your machines and I'll hook you up with the world of colored walls. :chuckle:

deal... :wink:

Miamian
03-25-2006, 04:55 PM
Nice story Darin. That's a really awesome thing to do.:clap:

You're really talented also.

Coral Reefer
03-25-2006, 10:47 PM
I worked this week for a man named Robert...he's a huge Dolphins fan....He's got the most amazing collection of Dolphins memorobilia I've ever seen in person....All kinds of autographed footballs, helmets, and 8x10.........He's got 10 Shula autographed items, 12 Dan Marinos, 5 Bob Greises...and just about anybody else you can think of....his room is amazing.....his den is astounding....I just sat there and drooled as he told me the stories of everything he has....

Wow, Nice artwork INFINS....

Great story too.
Let everyone know what game your taking him to and I'm sure everyone here will show up to give him a tailgate experience of a lifetime as well. :D

inFINSible
03-27-2006, 02:25 PM
Wow infins, awesome work! How long does something like that take you? Glad you got the opportunity to meet him and his mother and help them get to a game. Which one are you thinking of bringing him to, or does it depend more on scheduling?
I'm not sure which one I'll take him to....i asked him if he wanted to see the Dolphins play the jets and he said " No, I hate the jets. " :lol:

That mural took 15 hours.

dolphan117
03-27-2006, 05:03 PM
Well done inFIN.