PDA

View Full Version : What Is With This Insane "Deadly Weather"?!?!

Agent51
03-25-2006, 03:27 AM
OK guys, what the hell is up with all this crazy weather? The past year or so has been NUTS! I remember when that movie "The Day After Tomorrow" came out on DVD I bought it and watched it and I was like woa, that's some crazy stuff. Then stuff from that movie happened in real life. For anyone who hasn't seen it there is one part in particular I am referring to. In the begining of the movie this scientist gets freaked because the bouys that measure ocean temps in the Atlantic raised a few degrees in a short time, which apparently is very bad, as the rest of the movie showed.

Well, about a month later there was an article in the newspaper about that VERY SAME thing happening, except this was REAL LIFE. It was talking about how bouys in the north Atlantic raised a few degrees in temperature and that was highly abnormal. After that is seemed like all hell broke loose and hasn't stopped.

I forget exactly which event started it all, but just off the top of my head we have the Tsunami, the crazy blizzards in the northeast last winter, the extra big hurricane season, including Katrina and Rita, that Earthquake over in asia, the mudslides in southern Cali, there was even SNOW in LOS ANGELES last month.

now I get home after being away a week and a half in Spain to find out that Hawai'i is in a state of emergency because the Island of Kaua'i (the first one to the left of the island I live on) has gotten INSANE rainfall and I guess some dam broke and made a "reverse tsunami" where all the water rushed down the mountain and destroyed everything in it's path and sucked it miles out into the ocean with it, people included. The diagram they showed of what happened was so crazy, and the water basically split the island in half according to the news. It left people stranded on one side with no power or food and all the gas ran out and the one highway that goes over there was washed away and blocked.

Not to mention the entire state (ALL the islands) has been under a flood watch for like 3 weeks now, there was a mini mudlside at my friend's house while I was gone that fortunately nobody was injured in but his neightbor's car was totaled, apparently a whole sheet of the mountain that is right behind their house just came sliding down.

On top of all THAT my island (Oahu) has ben pummeled by sever thunderstorms for almost a week straight, parts of the islnd that are normally prety dry (like to the west of Pearl Harbor) actually had some pretty bad flooding, and there was just a freakin TORNADO on one of the neighboring islands to the east of mine. To add to all of that the water up on the North shore (some of the best surf in the world) is all brown from the rain runoff instead of the normal crystal clear blue/turquois, so surfing is insanely dangerous now (moreso than it already was surfing 40 foot waves in 3 feet of water over a razor-sharp reef that has all sorts of caves in it, lol) and now on the news today some girl that was surfing was bitten by a shark, mainly because "experts" say the "dark waters are like a 'feeding frenzy heaven' for sharks".

Oh, and I can't forget that a bunch of beaches had to be closed because there was a sudden infestation of freakin' box jellyfish, you know, the ones from Australia that can have 15 foot long tentacles and can supposedly kill a grown man in under 3 minutes? These beaches included the biggest tourist beach, Waikiki, and an AWESOME snorkeling/diving spot known as Hanauma bay.

Speaking of Australia, can't forget to add the crazy typhoon that just slammed them. I know I'm prolly forgetting other big events, but what the hell is up with all this insane weather? Geez.

Jimmy James
03-25-2006, 03:30 AM
There is a key two or three over from the L. Depending on how old school you are, you might call that the "enter", "return", or "carriage return" key. It can be quite useful. ;)

As to your topic, the weather hasn't just been crazy this past year. It has always been crazy. Trust me -- I go by areas where there used to be hundreds of homes but are now just fields every time I visit one of my grandparents. I remember a couple of years in the late 90s when there were similar crazy bad floods along the Mississippi. It happens...

dolfan72734me
03-25-2006, 03:35 AM
Yes, but it is, and will keep on, getting worse. It is a natural rhythm of the earths cycles over time.

Agent51
03-25-2006, 03:37 AM
lol, sorry, was tryin to type it all before i forgot some of the examples, I fixed it, split it up into paragraphs.

And yea, there has always been some crazy weather but it seems EXTRA bad this past year-ish

King Felix
03-25-2006, 03:39 AM
its bad.

welderpat
03-25-2006, 07:16 AM
I had the eye of three hurricanes hit my house in a span of thirteen months.
Other than that nothing unusual.

:wpat:

Skeet84
03-25-2006, 07:25 AM
Well that sounds really bad, But weird stuff always seems to happen somewhere

cnc66
03-25-2006, 07:34 AM

crybaby.... :tongue:

inFINSible
03-25-2006, 07:45 AM

yep, you're not lying....I have a friend in Stuart who spent two of those hurricanes at my house over here.....We saved a perfect picture of jeanne from the radar.....the spot on the map that said Stuart, was directly in the middle of the eye.....he's got it framed and hanging on his wall....

cnc66
03-25-2006, 07:53 AM
they just fixed my dock finally, three weeks ago, and they just finished the new seawall/bulkhead this week. I might have a back yard in time for summer.

There is a guy out back fly fishin' right now. I just watched him catch about a three or four pound Jack Crevalle. He's from Meeeeshigan...to chilly for me.

HysterikiLL
03-25-2006, 07:55 AM
There is a key two or three over from the L. Depending on how old school you are, you might call that the "enter", "return", or "carriage return" key. It can be quite useful. ;)

TT is the Forum Linebacker. It's only fitting that JJ is the Literacy Linebacker :chuckle:

inFINSible
03-25-2006, 09:05 AM
i found that pic....it actually said Port St Lucie...not Stuart...ooops...

inFINSible
03-25-2006, 09:09 AM
they just fixed my dock finally, three weeks ago, and they just finished the new seawall/bulkhead this week. I might have a back yard in time for summer.

There is a guy out back fly fishin' right now. I just watched him catch about a three or four pound Jack Crevalle. He's from Meeeeshigan...to chilly for me.
Tha's a fun fish on a fly rod.....I'd brave the cold for that...:wink:

cnc66
03-25-2006, 09:23 AM
When that picture was taken I was outside admiring a full moon in the eye of a hurricane...

well, off to do Museum docent duties ...have a good day I'll see ya'll later today ! Go Fins !

inFINSible
03-25-2006, 09:25 AM
I'm off to Miami myself....see ya Monday.

finattic79
03-25-2006, 09:44 AM
i found that pic....it actually said Port St Lucie...not Stuart...ooops...

Its actually a IR (infared) satellite shot, the colder the cold tops are the higher the tops are. As a weather guy, it has been a semi odd year, but alot of these storms can't be attributed to global warming or what happened in The Day after Tommorrow.

finattic79
03-25-2006, 09:50 AM
If you want to check out some other satellite shots check this site out, can do searches back to the 60's I believe.

http://hurricane.ncdc.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/hsei/hsei.pl?directive=quick_search