03-25-2006, 09:58 AM
Calvin Johnson - GT (2007 draft)

Chad Jackson- UF (2006 draft)

Pennington's Rocket Arm
03-25-2006, 10:05 AM
johnson. not even close.

Retnuhrace
03-25-2006, 10:06 AM
Oh come on. Calvin Johnson would be a top-5 pick if he were to be eligible this year. He's an absolute unstoppable beast. Chad Jackson is good, but never was that dominant at all in college. He has great hands however, but he is nowhere near the force that Calvin Johnson is.

Psychosikes
03-25-2006, 10:52 AM
davone bess... wait? not an option?!?!!?

Of those two, it's johnson in a landslide

Skeet84
03-25-2006, 10:52 AM
OK OK I picked Chad Jackson only for the fact that Johnson is so up and down and Jackson played in a very bad offense to showcase his ability. Johnson would be a top 10 pick. This and i have to vote for the Gator!

Canadi-Phin
03-25-2006, 11:45 AM
Next year's class of receivers if they all come out is unreal. Calvin Johnson, Dwayne Jarrett, Steve Smith, and Terry Ginn Jr. Nice year to get a receiver.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
03-25-2006, 12:41 PM
the fact that Johnson is so up and down
that's the complete opposite of a fact.

FinsAreLife
03-25-2006, 12:43 PM
i actually think its close, probably have to go with Johnson though

Crowder52
03-25-2006, 12:44 PM
What Johnson does is a miracle considering that joke of a QB he has throwing him the ball. The guy could be the best WR prospect to come out in years.

Skeet84
03-25-2006, 12:53 PM
Johnson should be destroy Chad Jackson in this poll even tho I voted for Jackson.

Skeet84
03-25-2006, 12:58 PM
that's the complete opposite of a fact.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=161197

You can look at the stats and see that he had good games and he had bad games.

Here are Jacksons stats too.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=146519

skimarino13
03-25-2006, 01:08 PM
great points about the amazing wr class next year. If we have a great shot at a reciever in the draft this year then maybe select him, but i say we stay with marty booker, and if he doesnt produce this year, there will be a great selection of wr's to choose from in next years draft.

musphinzfan
03-25-2006, 01:59 PM
Johnson dissappeared in many games last year.....Inconsistent...Jackson has got my vote.

Altough Calvin is sick.

Geforce
03-25-2006, 02:25 PM
Next year's class of receivers if they all come out is unreal. Calvin Johnson, Dwayne Jarrett, Steve Smith, and Terry Ginn Jr. Nice year to get a receiver.
I think you mean TED Ginn Jr. He is perhaps the fastest and most electrifying of the group, his is also the most unpolished.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
03-25-2006, 02:46 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=161197

You can look at the stats and see that he had good games and he had bad games. he had no bad games. he was double-teamed all the time, and his QB is reggie ball. ball was criticized many times for not throwing to johnson. when he did throw to him, he produced. he's anything but inconsistent. throw the ball anywhere near him and he catches it.

i can't believe people think chad jackson is better....that's just unthinkable...

sports24/7
03-25-2006, 03:07 PM
If you have seen Calvin Johnson play this isn't even close. He was the best WR in college last year and is a physical freak. His body control for a kid that size is unreal. He will be an absolute stud in the NFL. Jackson could be good, but come on.

Skeet84
03-25-2006, 04:42 PM
he had no bad games. he was double-teamed all the time, and his QB is reggie ball. ball was criticized many times for not throwing to johnson. when he did throw to him, he produced. he's anything but inconsistent. throw the ball anywhere near him and he catches it.

i can't believe people think chad jackson is better....that's just unthinkable...

Ball is not that bad of a QB ( Other than really short ). Make all the excuses you want, But the guy was inconsistent and you think the only WR in the country that gets Double teamed is Johnson? Jackson played on a very poor offense and played againist alot better Defenses and he was also double teamed all the time.

Skeet84
03-25-2006, 04:43 PM
If you have seen Calvin Johnson play this isn't even close. He was the best WR in college last year and is a physical freak. His body control for a kid that size is unreal. He will be an absolute stud in the NFL. Jackson could be good, but come on.

Yeah I have whatched them both and I am not here to say that Jackson is better I was just sticking up for Chad Jackson and for people saying that Jackson won't be good are crazy and No matter who you are there is always a chance for a bust. I have learned that lesson time and time again.

Alex44
03-25-2006, 04:46 PM
Calvin Johnson is another version of Larry Fitzgerald

Johnson beats Jackson hands down

EDIT- Although I do think Jackson will be more than good in the NFL, and I hope he ends up on our team if there arent any other guys that we simply cant pass on

SR 7
03-25-2006, 04:49 PM
why? i ahve no clue who he is...somone care to inform me on the differences? thanks.

Skeet84
03-25-2006, 04:52 PM
why? i ahve no clue who he is...somone care to inform me on the differences? thanks.

I put both there stat pages up on the first page.

sports24/7
03-25-2006, 05:59 PM
Yeah I have whatched them both and I am not here to say that Jackson is better I was just sticking up for Chad Jackson and for people saying that Jackson won't be good are crazy and No matter who you are there is always a chance for a bust. I have learned that lesson time and time again.
I'm not saying Jackson won't be a good WR, because he certainly has everything you look for in a WR, but Calvin Johnson is a once in a lifetime type WR. The only thing that scares me is that Jackson is coming from UF where we have seen some big dissapointments in 1st round guys like Reche Caldwell, Travis Taylor, and Taylor Jacobs. Those guys all came out of a very unorthodox Fun and Gun system that isn't that far off of Urban Meyer's spread offense that Jackson played in last year. Jackson has the talent to break the mold though and I wouldn't be upset if he were our pick at 16 even though Denver could snatch him up now that they jumped ahead of us.

FinNasty
03-25-2006, 07:27 PM
Calvin Johnson is the best WR in college football... and if he came out this year would probably be a top 5-10 pick...

UCFinFan9
03-25-2006, 08:11 PM
Calvin Johnson. i watched him single handly embarrass my um squad:boohoo:. i like chad jackson, think hes gonna be a good pro, but johnson makes you jump out of your seat with some of the stuff he does

Marino2Clayton
03-25-2006, 08:11 PM
For Calvin Johnson only to be winning this poll by 2 votes is an embarrassment to Finheaven.

Phishstix
03-25-2006, 08:13 PM
Ball is not that bad of a QB ( Other than really short ). Make all the excuses you want, But the guy was inconsistent and you think the only WR in the country that gets Double teamed is Johnson? Jackson played on a very poor offense and played againist alot better Defenses and he was also double teamed all the time.

ball is a horrible qb imo. he has no arm at all, makes bad decisions, and yes, he is short. hell, johnson is all the gt has. no other wrs pick up the slack, and pj daniels is on the all-charmin team. johnson is highlited by every defense he plays and he still produces. over his first two years, he's gone up against nfl caliber cbs such as tye hill, jimmy williams, kelly jennings, demario minter, antrell rolle, domi foxworth, justin miller, and eric green and has made big plays against all of them. it's calvin johnson>the field, and save for dwayne jarrett, it's not even close.

Retnuhrace
03-25-2006, 09:42 PM
For Calvin Johnson only to be winning this poll by 2 votes is an embarrassment to Finheaven.

I think it just shows some of the Florida Gator homerism on the board.

Dors156
03-25-2006, 10:36 PM
if cj is there and we dont take him ill be mad.he has the best hands inn the draft.if we get greenway i will be dissapointed knowing he cant bench press more than a QB:shakeno:

RalphX19X
03-25-2006, 11:59 PM
Calvin Johnson w/o a doubt and another reason why we shouldnt draft a WR this year because next years class will be awsome.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
03-26-2006, 12:11 AM
I think it just shows some of the Florida Gator homerism on the board.
i think it's just ignorance, to be honest....chad jackson is the big name now so everyone assumes he's great. while i like him (gator homerism aside ;)), he really has nothing on johnson that would make me want to take him over johnson.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
03-26-2006, 12:13 AM
luckily it's up to 6 now. although it SHOULD be 36-0.

Dolfan2788
03-26-2006, 12:29 AM
I just cannot believe the Chad Jackson has more than 5 votes, and I would expect those to be homer votes.

Calvin Johnson is THE next receiver of the NFL, he looks and plays like a man among boys every single game with the way he blocks, runs routes, finds holes and goes up to get the contested ball like no other in college football (comparable to Randy Moss in that aspect).

I cannot believe how much hype gets to people and that people cannot take a step back and look at this with an unbiased view or a view that is not blinded by hype and a 4.3 40 time.

Skeet84
03-26-2006, 05:55 AM
I'm not saying Jackson won't be a good WR, because he certainly has everything you look for in a WR, but Calvin Johnson is a once in a lifetime type WR. The only thing that scares me is that Jackson is coming from UF where we have seen some big dissapointments in 1st round guys like Reche Caldwell, Travis Taylor, and Taylor Jacobs. Those guys all came out of a very unorthodox Fun and Gun system that isn't that far off of Urban Meyer's spread offense that Jackson played in last year. Jackson has the talent to break the mold though and I wouldn't be upset if he were our pick at 16 even though Denver could snatch him up now that they jumped ahead of us.

All of what you said makes no real sense. Urban Meyer system same as the Fun and Gun? Your crazy and he was recrutied by Ron Zook and played great in a Pro Style offense. Chad Jackson is not like any WR ever at the Universty of Florida.

Skeet84
03-26-2006, 06:03 AM
Like I said before I voted for Chad Jackson because yes he was a Gator. However I am not saying he will be better than Chad Jackson either. Anything can happen in the NFL and it wouold not shock me at all that Calvin Johnson was a bust. I know he has all the tools and everything else, But we will just have to wait and see what they do. It does not matter what you do in College and what kind of tools you have its how you use them and the best example of that is Jerry Rice Miss. Valley State! Also Chad Jackson goes up v.s. a great corner almost every week in the SEC, So if you were IMPLYING that Calvin Johnson goes up againist better talent I think your crazy.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
03-26-2006, 12:19 PM
Anything can happen in the NFL and it wouold not shock me at all that Calvin Johnson was a bust.
that would actually be EXTREMELY shocking. i don't think you've watched him play.

dm416
03-26-2006, 02:40 PM
Calvin Johnson reminds me of Randy Moss without the attitude

sports24/7
03-26-2006, 03:22 PM
All of what you said makes no real sense. Urban Meyer system same as the Fun and Gun? Your crazy and he was recrutied by Ron Zook and played great in a Pro Style offense. Chad Jackson is not like any WR ever at the Universty of Florida.
Urban Meyer's spread offense is not that much different than Spurrier's Fun and Gun. I'm not crazy and Pro Football Weekly's draft magazine says the exact same thing. I'm not saying Jackson won't be a good WR, but it makes me a little weary that he is coming from UF.

Skeet84
03-26-2006, 09:27 PM
Urban Meyer's spread offense is not that much different than Spurrier's Fun and Gun. I'm not crazy and Pro Football Weekly's draft magazine says the exact same thing. I'm not saying Jackson won't be a good WR, but it makes me a little weary that he is coming from UF.

Well as a person who whatches every Florida game I am telling you they are no where near the same and just because a magazine says so does not means its true!

Skeet84
03-26-2006, 09:29 PM
that would actually be EXTREMELY shocking. i don't think you've watched him play.

I have whatched him play I just don't think that anyone is a Lock to be great. Calvin Johnson has alot more upside than Chad Jackson and I am not saying he won't be better and I am not saying he is not a great college WR. I am just saying its a hard transition.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
03-26-2006, 09:39 PM
what are you talking about?? you're going in circles or something...i'm not sure what you're saying actually. you've watched him play but said he has bad games, which isn't true. you said you'll take jackson over him just because he gets no respect?

sports24/7
03-26-2006, 10:32 PM
Well as a person who whatches every Florida game I am telling you they are no where near the same and just because a magazine says so does not means its true!
Its true in that both are very different than most NFL offenses. And the writers of Pro Football weekly get payed alot of money to know what they are talking about. Either way coming from UF makes me worry a little bit about the guy. Like I said, he has everything you look for in a WR and could be good, but that doesn't change the fact that he is a Gator and Gator WR's have been major dissapointments in the NFL.

SEAFinFan
03-27-2006, 01:42 AM

Don't forget Tyrone Prothro will probably come out then too.

Calvin Johnson is a BEAST I could see him being a combination of a Randy Moss (size / strength wise) and a Jerry Rice (route running rise) this guy is AMAZING in a VERY mediocore / bad offense.

Skeet84
03-27-2006, 04:39 AM
what are you talking about?? you're going in circles or something...i'm not sure what you're saying actually. you've watched him play but said he has bad games, which isn't true. you said you'll take jackson over him just because he gets no respect?

Yeah He is very up and down and has great games and bad games and you can't blame the QB everytime he has a bad game. I did say I would take Jackson over him because of the respect I just am sticking with Jackson cause well he is a Gator and I wanted there to be at least someone to disagree. I did not actually think Jackson would even get 5 votes. However Jackson has almost every chance to be just as good as Johnson in the NFL

Skeet84
03-27-2006, 04:40 AM
Its true in that both are very different than most NFL offenses. And the writers of Pro Football weekly get payed alot of money to know what they are talking about. Either way coming from UF makes me worry a little bit about the guy. Like I said, he has everything you look for in a WR and could be good, but that doesn't change the fact that he is a Gator and Gator WR's have been major dissapointments in the NFL.

They are both very different from Pro Offenses yes, But they are still no where near the same. Jackson is much more fitted for a Pro Style Offense and just becaus ePFW said it does not mean its true!

sports24/7
03-27-2006, 03:06 PM
They are both very different from Pro Offenses yes, But they are still no where near the same. Jackson is much more fitted for a Pro Style Offense and just becaus ePFW said it does not mean its true!
The fact that they are both very different from Pro Offenses was the main point. He will have to make an adjustment. And yes, Jackson's measurables sure seem to point to him being able to be a good WR in a Pro Style offense, but so did Travis Taylor, Taylor Jacobs, and Reche Caldwell.

dominizzo
03-27-2006, 08:49 PM
Chad Jackson hands down IMO

Pennington's Rocket Arm
03-27-2006, 08:56 PM
Yeah He is very up and down and has great games and bad games and you can't blame the QB everytime he has a bad game.
he DIDN'T have bad games. he caught everything every game, he beat the corners many times, even when double-teamed. he had games that weren't jaw-dropping good, but to say he had a bad game is flatout wrong. and you CAN blame reggie ball when he doesn't put up big numbers.

Skeet84
03-28-2006, 12:23 AM
The fact that they are both very different from Pro Offenses was the main point. He will have to make an adjustment. And yes, Jackson's measurables sure seem to point to him being able to be a good WR in a Pro Style offense, but so did Travis Taylor, Taylor Jacobs, and Reche Caldwell.

Well than I misuderstood you or you wrote something, But either way we got it straight that they are not alike and both not pro style offences. :wink: Well just because those guys failed does not mean that Chad Jackson will too. Chad Jackson played under a Pro Style offense under Ron Zook and did really well.

Skeet84
03-28-2006, 12:25 AM
he DIDN'T have bad games. he caught everything every game, he beat the corners many times, even when double-teamed. he had games that weren't jaw-dropping good, but to say he had a bad game is flatout wrong. and you CAN blame reggie ball when he doesn't put up big numbers.

Ok Now everytime a Good WR does not have a Great game I will just blame the QB cause its never the WR's fault. :wink: Sure!

Pennington's Rocket Arm
03-28-2006, 12:52 AM
he's not a good receiver. he's a GREAT receiver.

Dolfan2788
03-28-2006, 02:08 AM
Ok Now everytime a Good WR does not have a Great game I will just blame the QB cause its never the WR's fault. :wink: Sure!

In Calvin Johnson's case it is mostly true. He is a great receiver first of all. And second of all if anyone is going to beat him it's going to be triple teams or his own QB's. That is why he is such a great receiver, he can take the double team, open up the running game and the middle and other side of the field, block downfield and then he can still go up and get it if he is double teamed.

Chad Jackson is a good receiver but he is not in Johnson's league, unless he goes up a few levels in the NFL.

Skeet84
03-28-2006, 04:27 AM
In Calvin Johnson's case it is mostly true. He is a great receiver first of all. And second of all if anyone is going to beat him it's going to be triple teams or his own QB's. That is why he is such a great receiver, he can take the double team, open up the running game and the middle and other side of the field, block downfield and then he can still go up and get it if he is double teamed.

Chad Jackson is a good receiver but he is not in Johnson's league, unless he goes up a few levels in the NFL.

Jackson not in Johsons League? Wow is one thing to say that Johnson is great and will be better but to say he is not in his league is just crazy! Johnson is great, But so is Chad Jackson and you could blame Chris Leak or the system for as much as you blame on Reggie Ball. Ball is not that bad of a QB and there are much worse out there! The NFL is not College and people should really start to learn this I mean you all talk about double teams and stuff like that well it did not stop Chad Johnson for the Bengals in the NFL or Chris Chambers. I mean alot of great WR in college get double teamed and triple teamed in certain passing situations and they still make plays. Well I know both WR are great and Johnson is better in college they have yet to prove them self in the NFL. We will find out in a few years who the best WR is, But not everyone is the same player as they are in College.

Alex44
03-28-2006, 04:30 AM
Reggie Ball really is a very inaccurate QB, he throws more balls away than most QB's but even that said he costs Calvin a lot of balls he could be catching

I havent seen enough of Jackson to really say about him, although his 40 time and hands do make me say wow

All in all I think Johnson is a better reciever but Johnson is very good to

sports24/7
03-28-2006, 04:38 AM
Well than I misuderstood you or you wrote something, But either way we got it straight that they are not alike and both not pro style offences. :wink: Well just because those guys failed does not mean that Chad Jackson will too. Chad Jackson played under a Pro Style offense under Ron Zook and did really well.Your exactly right that just because Gator recievers in the past have underachieved shouldn't be a reason to not draft him and I would be happy if he were our choice. It just makes me a little nervous knowing the history of some of those guys thats all.

rothshunger
03-28-2006, 07:05 AM
damn I remember yatil being drafted as a lock for marino too and we all saw what happened there huh? anything is possible in the nfl.
right now its all speculation until they play.

Skeet84
03-28-2006, 07:20 AM
Your exactly right that just because Gator recievers in the past have underachieved shouldn't be a reason to not draft him and I would be happy if he were our choice. It just makes me a little nervous knowing the history of some of those guys thats all.

I totally understand and i have been whatching the Gators and all those players and Jackson is a totally different player! He could still be a Bust, But I like him alot better than those other gator WR's . I actually have a feeling that Gaffney and Caldwell are gunna do better with there new teams.

Batman13
03-28-2006, 11:54 AM
Wow... there is still only a 3 vote difference?! There is some serious homerism going on here.

Skeet84
03-28-2006, 12:00 PM
Wow... there is still only a 3 vote difference?! There is some serious homerism going on here.

Why don't you start stating some facts and stop crying about people being homers! Maybe people believe in someone that he will succeed and they believe in what someone can do not what people think they can do!

Geforce
03-28-2006, 12:04 PM
You're right and it's coming from both sides.

Motion
03-28-2006, 12:44 PM
To say someone never has a bad game is absolutely ridiculous. Everyone has a bad game at some point. That said, Johnson is an amazing WR and alot of this debate will depend on what team they both end up on. I'm personally looking forward to Jackson squashing the stereotype thats so strong around here. But at this point would give the slight edge to Johnson as far as pro prospects go.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
03-28-2006, 01:33 PM
To say someone never has a bad game is absolutely ridiculous. Everyone has a bad game at some point.
and johnson hasn't had that point yet.

SEAFinFan
03-28-2006, 07:54 PM
Wow, there is a lot of Florida bias or something, because to say Chad Jackson is better than Calvin Johnson (at this point) would be crazy Calvin Johnson is predicted to be the first WR taken off the board next year. Chad Jackson is 2nd in a lot of Mocks some he's first.

musphinzfan
03-28-2006, 08:07 PM
and johnson hasn't had that point yet.

If 2 catches for 11 yards against Utah isnt then i am not sure what is....Its utah its not like OSU or Miami.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
03-28-2006, 09:15 PM
If 2 catches for 11 yards against Utah isnt then i am not sure what is....Its utah its not like OSU or Miami.
did you watch the game?

stop looking at stats when deciding how well a player did. ESPECIALLY receivers. obviously he didn't have a great game, as they didn't throw his way at all, but he didn't have a bad game. the commentators brought it up several times that ball wasn't throwing to johnson, even though georgia tech was down early. i remember they showed him open in the endzone several times, and didn't even get a look. reggie ball is just out of it sometimes.

miadfins
03-28-2006, 09:56 PM
i cant see how you can even compare calvin to chad. Chad has elite timed speed and hands but everything else he does is aveage or worse. calvin is almost as fast, bigger, and plays the ball better. he is a complete reciever. he was more productive in college. this should not be close. Chad might be a good reviecer one day but i see him taking a few years learning the little things it takes to be a good reciever.