PDA

View Full Version : Real Estate License giving me cabin fever...

Coral Reefer
03-25-2006, 11:41 PM
After getting sick of watching agents make a pretty penny off me a few too many times, I decided to get my Real Estate License.

1 month course and I've been way too busy to study.
That bird has come home to roost since the school's final exam is next weekend! I've got 1 week to cram these 18 chapters into my cranium!

I've been at it all day and I'm starting to see little green men buzzing around my head.

It's going to be a very long week.
Finheaven being a keystroke away isn't helping either! :lol:

Any of you in here got your R.E. License in FL. or anywhere else for that matter?

Any insight on subjects they focus heavily on the test?

dolfan72734me
03-25-2006, 11:43 PM
Wish I could help. I also want to get a R.E.L.

NJFINSFAN1
03-25-2006, 11:47 PM
I have been doing Real Estate for 20 years. It sucks!!

Yeah, you can make good money, but you work 7 days a week! Open houses on sundays (yes during football season)!

This is why I'm back and school finishing my teaching degree like I should have done 24 years ago!

dolfan72734me
03-25-2006, 11:50 PM

Yeah, you can make good money, but you work 7 days a week! Open houses on sundays (yes during football season)!

This is why I'm back and school finishing my teaching degree like I should have done 24 years ago!
Education was my original major, until I got into Geology.

Roman529
03-25-2006, 11:50 PM
Sounds like the Series 7 Stockbroker's exam I took a few years back.....lots of info to remember and after the test you forget it all and never need to use it again. :lol:

unifiedtheory
03-25-2006, 11:52 PM

Tell us how you really feel!:wink:

NJFINSFAN1
03-25-2006, 11:53 PM
This is someone I use to work with!!!

http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkyJmZnYmVsN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2OTAxOTc4

Coral Reefer
03-25-2006, 11:57 PM

:lol:

Thanks for the encouragement!

I have a friend in the biz that says the same thing!

I'm doing it strictly as an addition to what I'm already doing though. I bought into a partnership with a friend of mine in a Home Imporvement company a few years back. Gen. Cont.

We've focused on buying, fixing up and selling properties.
I'm not looking to be full time R.E. I'll just need to find a broker I can "park" my license with so I can practice my own deals.

Any ideas I had of getting more involved in the Real Estate sales side you just cured me of! :lol:

FinsNCanes
03-26-2006, 12:07 AM
I've been pondering to get a R.E.L for a while actually. It's that or mortgages and I hear that is pretty decent money as well.

How long are your days when doing real estate? I mean I saw you said you work 7 days a week but if some days you only work 5-6 hours it's not that big of a deal.

huck1974
03-26-2006, 01:08 AM
real estate and brokers....had someone else take it for me
didnt want to deal with it since 99% of it doesnt apply to my needs. Just build homes and reserve the right to split commissions and sell my own if I wish. Do online and pay someone else to do it.

Gonzo
03-26-2006, 01:11 AM
After getting sick of watching agents make a pretty penny off me a few too many times, I decided to get my Real Estate License.

That bird has come home to roost since the school's final exam is next weekend! I've got 1 week to cram these 18 chapters into my cranium!

I've been at it all day and I'm starting to see little green men buzzing around my head.

Any of you in here got your R.E. License in FL. or anywhere else for that matter?

This is my problem too. It's killing me. Gonna be a late night...

Coral Reefer
03-26-2006, 01:19 AM
This is my problem too. It's killing me. Gonna be a late night...

Yep, going on 2 hours now with my book in front of me without turning a page.

1 page every 2 hours is about the median study average no?

dolfan72734me
03-26-2006, 01:20 AM

About, yes:lol:

CharlestonPhan
03-26-2006, 11:09 AM

ive got my liscence in SC... it was my experience that they teach to the test. so if you are awake at all in your class, you've got a reasonable shot at passing with a little prep. im not saying blow off your studying, but dont panic either.

i know this sounds condescending, but dont answer any questions until youve read all the possible answers... they specifically put several pick-the-best-answer-out-of-four-that-all-could-be- right in the exam i took.

on the flip side, they put in several that are so-easy-you-talk-yourself-into-not-picking-the- obvious-answer questions as well.

you'll be alright with the test. and once you get your liscence, you'll do fine, if you get your name out there, and pick the right agency.

Roman529
03-26-2006, 03:21 PM

Don't you guys make 4-6% commission on the sale of each house? All you need is to sell ONE million dollar house and that is $40-$60,000 and you are good to go for the whole year!!!!!!!! :tongue:

Amars
03-26-2006, 03:37 PM
I have my real estate brokers license in CA. A little advice you should see if they have practive exam on software. If you find one study that thoughly. Try to get 90% on every test and repeat test the following day to make sure you remember the answers. Some companies are really good and have actual people go take the exam just so they can just memorize the questions to put on the software. Some questions are exactly like the actual test. The salesperson exam I study in 10 days and passed easy the broker on the other hand took me 2 months and it was hard. Good Luck

The exam is the easy part. I think only 20% of the people who have real estate license actual do that for a living. Well here in CA.

Amars
03-26-2006, 03:40 PM
Don't you guys make 4-6% commission on the sale of each house? All you need is to sell ONE million dollar house and that is $40-$60,000 and you are good to go for the whole year!!!!!!!! :tongue:

um no. Shhh.

Only if you double pop which means you represent the buyer and seller. 4% more likely.

FinsNCanes
03-27-2006, 12:41 AM
um no. Shhh.

Only if you double pop which means you represent the buyer and seller. 4% more likely.

Is it worth it? What is your work schedule like?

NJFINSFAN1
03-27-2006, 09:24 AM
Is it worth it? What is your work schedule like?

7 days a week, evenings and weekends (yes open houses on Sunday)

When you are new, the above is a must to build up clients.

Roman529
03-27-2006, 03:52 PM

SUNDAYS??? :eek: There goes your Dolphin's viewing. :tantrum:

NJFINSFAN1
03-27-2006, 03:57 PM
SUNDAYS??? :eek: There goes your Dolphin's viewing. :tantrum:

That's why I'm back in school for my teaching degree!:wink:

WharfRat
03-27-2006, 04:13 PM
I'm starting to see little green men buzzing around my head.

welcome to my world ... :goof:

FinsNCanes
03-27-2006, 10:47 PM

7 days a week isn't a huge deal but what are the hours like? I mean are we talking 12 hour days here?

Amars
03-27-2006, 10:58 PM
you get what you put in. It's up to you. Honestly i work 30hrs/week. I rarely sell homes. Im more on the mortgage side.

NJFINSFAN1
03-27-2006, 11:38 PM
7 days a week isn't a huge deal but what are the hours like? I mean are we talking 12 hour days here?

As Amars says, you get what you put in. When you start, you need to hit the streets. When I started, we use to cold call and knock on doors, with the new laws, you can't do that. So really, you need to do open houses to build up clients. Open houses in NJ are usually from 1 to 4 on Sundays.

After you get a client base, you are at there whim. When they want to see something you go. It could be 9:00AM, or 7:00PM. You usually negotiate contracts at night. After the kids are in bed, and it can go fast or as late as 11:00PM, I have had later.

If you have plans to go out, and a good client calls, you blow of going out.

The real high producers work like dogs for years before they can kick back some. They can kick back when there name is the one that is on the tip of everyones lips to call if they want to sell their house in that area. When you have a ton of listings, they work for you! What I mean by that is, Realtors are trying to sell your house, so they are working for you.

But It takes time and hours to do so.

Money is there to be made, but you need to put in a ton of hours building clients and a referral network and building up you name.

They say 2% of the Realtors do most the work, and it is true. You ask anyone, they all know a Realtor.

I'm not trying to tell you not to do it, if your a motivated person, a go getter, you can do very well. But its not as easy as people think.