PDA

View Full Version : Should I basketball? You be the judge

Prime
03-26-2006, 10:38 PM
I am just on a roll with threads tonight huh? :lol: I have been thinking about playing next year and I really don't know if I am really ready to play or not. Whenever it starts to get warmer and when the suns stays out longer, then I will put my goal back up and practice everyday. Well I have done my own scouting report on me and I want to know what you guys think.

Postives: Can find open guys very easy and passes it to them when open. I am pretty aggressive with my rebounding because I was jump up high and either knock it away from the other player or just grab it in mid air. A few people call me "glue" because they don't get by me and I am always right in thee face, while not leaving much room between us. Is that really a good or bad thing? I can flat out fly on the court and seem to find a way to get open long enough to find my confort zone and shoot it.

Negatives: I'm not that fast when having the ball. My shooting is horrible, but they do atleast him the rim alot, so that can be improved on. I can only shoot mid range because I simply can not hit my 3's. I can't block guys well and they always seem to shoot overtop of me. Can't make any eye popping moves with the ball, so I tend to pass it alittle too much in a result of not having enough guts to go up in the middle and try to score with defender all around me.

So tell me what you think. Tell me what I need to improve on the most and how to do so.

lazareth
03-26-2006, 10:44 PM
I am just on a roll with threads tonight huh? :lol: I have been thinking about playing next year and I really don't know if I am really ready to play or not. Whenever it starts to get warmer and when the suns stays out longer, then I will put my goal back up and practice everyday. Well I have done my own scouting report on me and I want to know what you guys think.

Postives: Can find open guys very easy and passes it to them when open. I am pretty aggressive with my rebounding because I was jump up high and either knock it away from the other player or just grab it in mid air. A few people call me "glue" because they don't get by me and I am always right in thee face, while not leaving much room between us. Is that really a good or bad thing? I can flat out fly on the court and seem to find a way to get open long enough to find my confort zone and shoot it.

Negatives: I'm not that fast when having the ball. My shooting is horrible, but they do atleast him the rim alot, so that can be improved on. I can only shoot mid range because I simply can not hit my 3's. I can't block guys well and they always seem to shoot overtop of me. Can't make any eye popping moves with the ball, so I tend to pass it alittle too much in a result of not having enough guts to go up in the middle and try to score with defender all around me.

So tell me what you think. Tell me what I need to improve on the most and how to do so.

:groucho:

King Felix
03-26-2006, 10:47 PM
if u said ur small, nothin is better than a fast, good passing, pass first pg. that can shoot if needed.

ILPhinFan88
03-26-2006, 10:49 PM
Never hurts to give it a try. :D

Prime
03-26-2006, 10:51 PM
if u said ur small, nothin is better than a fast, good passing, pass first pg. that can shoot if needed.

Well I'm about 5'9", but the only problem like I said was I'm not fast when I have the ball. I am only fast when on defense or trying to get open on offense. I do make alot of assist because I can bullet the ball to my other teammate. I think I got the heart and knowledge of the game. I just want some opnions before I make up my mind.

King Felix
03-26-2006, 10:52 PM
work on dribbling, passing, shooting and running/stamina.

Prime
03-26-2006, 10:56 PM
work on dribbling, passing, shooting and running/stamina.

Oh I will. The one thing that I will make sure I practice the most is my shooting. I get pissed of so much because I get it so close close to the basket, but it rims off. Is there any b-ball coaches here?

King Felix
03-26-2006, 10:58 PM
make sure ur elbow is in.

lazareth
03-26-2006, 11:00 PM
Well I'm about 5'9", but the only problem like I said was I'm not fast when I have the ball. I am only fast when on defense or trying to get open on offense. I do make alot of assist because I can bullet the ball to my other teammate. I think I got the heart and knowledge of the game. I just want some opnions before I make up my mind.
seriously, if you truly have this and never stop getting more of this then you just need to work on the intangibles (as already mentioned)...the rest is just the "try" and "never give up" parts.

good luck

GreenMonster
03-26-2006, 11:01 PM
Oh I will. The one thing that I will make sure I practice the most is my shooting. I get pissed of so much because I get it so close close to the basket, but it rims off. Is there any b-ball coaches here?

I worked with an ex NBA player/European League player at this sports training complex I worked at.. I was already a good shooter, but this guy greatly improved my ball handling which allowed me to get my own shoot off, even being a tad slow.. I also worked hard in the gym with the rubber belts and the box to improve my leaping.. I am only 6'0 and can almost dunk, if I could palm the ball at the time.. Being able to dribble with both hands is also a huge advantage.. I can't stress how much all those ball handling drills helped me..

King Felix
03-26-2006, 11:04 PM
make sure ur elbow is straight, and with ur shooting hand dont let the palm touch the ball, hold it with ur fingers and flick the wrist.

Jt0323
03-26-2006, 11:11 PM
i say give it a shot

Alex44
03-26-2006, 11:19 PM
Play man, nothing better than that

One word LAYUPS

You cant shoot learn how to drive into the lane, you dont need amazing moves, just make one dribble square your shoulders and drive inside, thats how I play.

I dont know how big you are though, im about 6'0 or 6'1 and when I drive in I almost never miss, but like you I dont shoot all that well....I guess you'd call me streaky, If I start hitting them watch out, if Im off you dont want me taking jumpers.

My best advice on how to get better is this

Watch basketball pick a part of a players game you like, for instance I love the way D- Wade drives, so I try to model my game after that, and just take bits and pieces of guys games you like and practice it, and eventually you will get really good

oh and 3 rules

1- Winners always want the ball

2- Great Scorers are never afraid to shoot, no matter how bad a night they are having

3-Play defense....easy as that, you dont have to block the shot just get a hand up

Prime
03-27-2006, 12:08 AM
Thanks guys, but what are your comments about the "glue" nickname? Is it a good or bad thing? Should I or shouldn't I play defense up close to who I am guarding or should I allow alittle space in between?

Buddwalk
03-27-2006, 12:14 AM

Work on shooting like you said...Honestly heres quick evaluation on my self

PG Mike Buddwalk 5''6 125 lbs.

Positives - Very Fast on the court, Is athletic and can jump high and play solid defense. Can run the floor, and shoot when needed too. 10 ppg as a freshmen

Negatives - Is only 5''6 and 125 lbs., Hurts him playing against taller and stronger players. 3 point shooting needs worked, seems to get rattled at times and will over shoot a floater at times.

I believe you said your like 5''8 or 5''10 130 lbs., thats a pg/sg in highschool......start swimming in a pool with weights on...you wont feel the weights too much cause your in the water but it'll help you build muscle and endurance. If you can get to around 140/150 lbs. you should be good bro :D

Buddwalk
03-27-2006, 12:14 AM

You just described me :wink:

FinsNCanes
03-27-2006, 12:18 AM
Bulk up and go play football I say.

King Felix
03-27-2006, 12:21 AM
You just described me :wink:

IMO first key to a successful team.

Buddwalk
03-27-2006, 12:24 AM
IMO first key to a successful team.

yeah Im not trying to sound cocky last year but our pg last year was my friend ron, who had to move down from sg to pg cause I screwed up getting suspended [I was going to start] Hes a shoot first player...he attempted more 3 pointers then any player in york county...ended up finishing with 50 3 pointers [3rd best]

King Felix
03-27-2006, 12:26 AM
well atleast he made 50.

Buddwalk
03-27-2006, 12:31 AM
well atleast he made 50.

Oh no the guys a lights out shooter its just he carried that team last year and they finished like 8-16 or something like that. I guarentee we go to the playoffs this year, Were getting two players back from suspensions me and my friend DJ who as a freshmen was averaged like 14 varsity. '

Lineup should look like

PG Mike Buddwalk 5''6 125 lbs. [10 ppg as a freshmen JV]
SG Ron Cabrera 5''8 140 lbs. [13 ppg last year as a soph varsity]
SF DJ Bange 6''0 160 lbs. [14 ppg as a freshmen varsity]
PF Greg Derr 6''2 170 lbs. [Didnt play much last year but hes real strong]
C Sean Smith 6''4 150 lbs. [Averaged 6 ppg as a soph, but it was his first year varsity]

Prime
03-27-2006, 12:36 AM
Can someone answer my question? At church they call my "glue" because I play right on there with leaving no space in between me and the dude I'm defending. Is that a good thing or should I leave alittle space in between?

King Nate
03-27-2006, 12:39 AM
Can someone answer my question? At church they call my "glue" because I play right on there with leaving no space in between me and the dude I'm defending. Is that a good thing or should I leave alittle space in between?

I think that's a good thing.

ShaqandWade323
03-27-2006, 12:40 AM
Well you just need to practice a lot and to help my dribbling, I just took a ball, went outside and dribbled everywhere I walked, I would walk and run with the ball for like a mile to my friend's house.

Here's my scouting report:

SG/SF, 6'4, 180

Positives: great jump shot, good handles, hustles, and can run a fast break, has good post moves, and can also grab a few rebounds.

Negatives: Not the greatest athleticism, average speed, and sometimes shys away from contact driving to the basket.

I'm working more on my quickness and strength by running a mile every day with lifting weights.

Buddwalk
03-27-2006, 12:40 AM

Honestly it depends where your guarding him on the court...inside the paint no space, but outside I like to leave a little bit of space so if I get beat I can recover. Sticking him tightly outside of the paint can get you killed if you get beat cause you wont have the time to recover

ShaqandWade323
03-27-2006, 12:41 AM
I think that's a good thing.

If the guy can drive to the basket, then you should back just a little especially if he has no shot.

Rocky Raccoon
03-27-2006, 12:42 AM
Well you just need to practice a lot and to help my dribbling, I just took a ball, went outside and dribbled everywhere I walked, I would walk and run with the ball for like a mile to my friend's house.

SG/SF, 6'4, 180

Positives: great jump shot, good handles, hustles, and can run a fast break, has good post moves, and can also grab a few rebounds.

Negatives: Not the greatest athleticism, average speed, and sometimes shys away from contact driving to the basket.

I'm working more on my quickness and strength by running a mile every day with lifting weights.

that is my biggest problem when I play...and always has been. I think I'm just too soft.

Buddwalk
03-27-2006, 12:43 AM

SG/SF, 6'4, 180

Almost all my points are driving to the basket layups. I'd love to have your size though, being 5''6 and maybe 130 lbs. if im lucky kinda sucks. But I have great athleticism and despite playing against taller competition I still come up with steals, blocks, and great defense. My 3 point shot is my worst enemy though...I'll have times where i'll get on a hot streak and now 6-7 out of 10 and then i'll have a time where I'll be lucky if I even make 1. My left hand needs some work dribbling too, Not nearly as good dribbling with my left as I am for my right...But it still hasnt posed a problem for I dont turn the ballover much

TheAnswer385
03-27-2006, 12:48 AM
You only go trough HS once and if you pass it up you will miss out on it forever so i would say yea atleast try.

Majpain
03-27-2006, 12:58 AM
You can get better at all you just have to train and pratice.Practice shooting run every day.Put weights around your ankle and run 2 miles a day for 3 weeks.You should be pretty fast.

King Felix
03-27-2006, 02:14 AM
practice everyday on all your weaknesses........and practice dribbling too... if ur a pg u gotta be able to dribble with the bst of them.

d-day
03-27-2006, 02:39 AM
"Ever since I was a little baby, I always be dribblin'
In fac', I was de baddest dribbler in the whole neighborhood"

King Felix
03-27-2006, 02:40 AM
Ever since I was a little baby, I always be dribblin'
In fac', I was de baddest dribbler in the whole neighborhood

:lol:

Buddwalk
03-27-2006, 02:41 AM
practice everyday on all your weaknesses........and practice dribbling too... if ur a pg u gotta be able to dribble with the bst of them.

Good exercise is dribbling up and down steps...10 times up and down

Switch hands too

King Felix
03-27-2006, 02:43 AM
and dont let ur strengths get rusty

Buddwalk
03-27-2006, 02:44 AM

Im working on adding muscle my self right now, because like I said I enjoy driving to the basket. More muscle, means harder to stop

King Felix
03-27-2006, 02:45 AM
im weaker than an ant :shakeno:

King Felix
03-27-2006, 02:46 AM
i seriously need to start workin out.

Buddwalk
03-27-2006, 02:48 AM
im weaker than an ant :shakeno:

Yeah adding muscle is important, cause in order to play good defense you want to atleast be able to handle whoever your covering and when switching up you can be matched against someone easily 50 lbs. bigger then you.

King Felix
03-27-2006, 02:55 AM
i seriously dont think i could do half my weight......jk but def not my weight.

Prime
03-27-2006, 11:17 PM
Well I went out and practice my shooting and the tips seem to work some. I still suck at shooting, but you can't improve on a one day span out there. One thing that kills me is my attitude. I get so damn pissed when I miss like 3 shots in a row and then I just shot out of anger with the rest and end up missing them. I am starting to come around with my hook shot though, so that's a plus in today's practice.

King Felix
03-27-2006, 11:53 PM
dont get mad.....its gonna take practice......just keep doin wat ur doing and dont get mad.

Alex44
03-27-2006, 11:58 PM

YES

Its weird a couple years ago I was lights out shooting, then I started the whole drive the lane thing and now im an average shooter, make sure you balance it and dont totally forget the other parts of your game

Oh and btw

Ants can carry like 10 times their body weight guys :wink:

Alex44
03-28-2006, 12:00 AM
Well I went out and practice my shooting and the tips seem to work some. I still suck at shooting, but you can't improve on a one day span out there. One thing that kills me is my attitude. I get so damn pissed when I miss like 3 shots in a row and then I just shot out of anger with the rest and end up missing them. I am starting to come around with my hook shot though, so that's a plus in today's practice.

I find I shoot best in the flow of a game, my mind isnt going 'errr I missed 3 in a row' its going 'Dribble, Dribble, pull up J in his face'

When your just shooting around try and not keep track of how many you make or miss, just keep shooting, thats what ive been trying to do, but its easier said than done

Gonzo
03-28-2006, 12:16 AM
"Ever since I was a little baby, I always be dribblin'
In fac', I was de baddest dribbler in the whole neighborhood"

:chuckle:

Larry, that could have been me.

HysterikiLL
03-28-2006, 12:18 AM
I'm 6'6'' and was always the tallest guy in school...therefore they always had me playing foward. Because of that, I can't dribble for ****, and when I got into it seriously, I was the size of a damn point guard, and therefore burnt out. Grr.

HysterikiLL
03-28-2006, 12:19 AM

Larry :chuckle:

Buddwalk
03-28-2006, 12:21 AM
I'm 6'6'' and was always the tallest guy in school...therefore they always had me playing foward. Because of that, I can't dribble for ****, and when I got into it seriously, I was the size of a damn point guard, and therefore burnt out. Grr.

jeesh 6''6 a foot taller then me :eek:

HysterikiLL
03-28-2006, 12:21 AM
jeesh 6''6 a foot longer then me :eek:

:dday:

Buddwalk
03-28-2006, 12:26 AM
Please tell me you can dunk :lol:

If you were 6''6 and couldnt dunk that would be pretty sad

Buddwalk
03-28-2006, 12:27 AM

like editting my words there :tongue:

HysterikiLL
03-28-2006, 12:27 AM
Please tell me you can dunk :lol:

If you were 6''6 and couldnt dunk that would be pretty sad

Sort of. I can touch the rim without much trouble, but I have trouble with one hand dunks.....I think I have small hands for my size

:(

small hands :hump:

Rocky Raccoon
03-28-2006, 12:28 AM

:roflmao:

HysterikiLL
03-28-2006, 12:28 AM
like editting my words there, sexy boy hysterikill :tongue:

oh behave :dday:

d-day
03-28-2006, 12:50 AM

Too bad you can't practice getting taller, Gonzo.

King Nate
03-28-2006, 01:23 AM
Too bad you can't practice getting taller, Gonzo.

I really wish I could. I'd be working on that everyday. :boohoo:

King Felix
03-28-2006, 01:30 AM
i wish u could, id be the tallest man ever.

Skeet84
03-28-2006, 02:05 AM
Why not try? I wish I would have played, But I did not cause I did not think I was that good. I then played with the team after the year during some of there practices and Coach was always like we could have really used you. So just try!
My Nickname is Hustle cause I will chase down any ball and will dive no matter what! I can't tell you how many times I have dove on concrete! I love to win and Hate to lose!