PDA

View Full Version : John Lennon...

dolfan_101
03-29-2006, 11:38 PM
This is my history report that i did last year in 8th grade for my history report. It's VERY long lol so i doubt anyone will read it all but tell me what you think of it based on what you have read....

[1] (http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=10#_ftn1)“ Love is a promise, love is a souvenir, once given never forgotten, never let it disappear ”, this famous quote was said by rock and rolls father John Lennon. Julia Lennon gave birth to John Winston Lennon after 30 hours of labor, on October 9th, 1940. He was born in a small hospital in Liverpool, England at 7:00 o’clock in the morning, just moments after an air raid during World War II. John’s father Alfred was a merchant at sea so john never saw him much. Soon Julia felt too unstable to care for her child so John was soon taken care of by his Aunt Mimi, and Uncle George. Five years after John’s birth Alfred came to Liverpool and tried to immigrate him to New Zealand but Julia intervened and made sure he lived with his Aunt, and Uncle.
John had a troubled childhood; he was expelled from his school at the age of five for misconduct, and was considered a joke by his teachers. When John entered high school he became a fan of rock music. John soon aspired to become a musician. So he asked his Aunt if she could purchase him a guitar. She refused because she said it was a waste of money, so John asked his Mother for a guitar. She was delighted because she played the banjo, so she bought him a simple acoustic guitar. She even taught him how play his first song, “ That’ll Be The Day ”.
While in high school John started a band named “ Quarrymen ”, with his best friend Pete Shotton. On July 6th, 1957 that they got their first paying gig, at an outdoor party. This was when John met a person by the name Paul McCartney, they both respected each others talents. Paul was soon a member of the band

The only subjects that John succeeded in during school were art, and literature so his teacher recommended him to Liverpool College Of Art because he thought that was the only place where he could succeed. John started to attend the University in September of 1957. John met two very important people there. One, he met his future first wife, Cynthia Powell; and two Stewart Sutcliffe the “ Fifth Beatle ”. By 1960 John stopped attending college, and two more members joined the “ Quarrymen ”; George Harrison and Pete Best. Unfortunately Stewart Sutcliffe quit the band because he wanted to pursue the relationship he had with a German Girl named Astrid Kirchherr, and direct his career in the direction of art.
The “ Quarrymen ”, changed the name of their band to “ The Beatles ”. The band members now consisted of: John Lennon ( lead singer, and guitar ), Paul McCartney ( lead singer, bass guitar ), Richard Starkey ( drummer ), and George Harrison ( guitar, backup vocals ). This was the band that became, “ More popular than Jesus ”.
In July of 1958 Julia Lennon was tragically killed. She was coming back from Mimi’s, to visit john when, a car ran over her when she was walking to the bus stop. John later said “ I lost my mother twice. Once as a child of five and then again at seventeen. It made me very, very bitter inside. I had just begun to re-establish a relationship with her when she was killed. ”. This was John’s worst time; his aunt said he was in a shell. John would block out everything people would say to comfort him, writing and playing music was all he concentrated on. John was finally recovering mentally from the death of his mother, when he started to date Cynthia Powell.
Now The Beatles had become well known through out Liverpool, and played at numerous nightclubs, and bars. Soon they would become regulars at The Cavern Club, a local pub and were written about in the pages of Mersey Beat a magazine published in the U.K. After being in the magazine, Brian Epstein a well-known local record producer became attracted to them. He eventually signed them up and his persistence eventually led to a record deal with Parlophone in 1962. The Beatles at last had their first single in October of that year “ Love Me Do ”. This attracted a considerable amount of attention to the band, and their second single, “ Please Please Me ” went to number 1 in January 1963. A stream of hit records trailed like “ I Wanna Hold Your Hand ”, “ Twist and Shout”, and “ She Loves You”. They became known worldwide, and sold millions of records.
John and Cynthia Powell were declared man and wife on April 8th, 1962. Cynthia eight months later gave birth to their son Julian, on April 8th, 1963. It was unfortunate that it seemed the happiness of this marriage only lasted for a few months. Because of touring, his experiments with drugs, and an affair with avant garde artist Yoko Ono, in 1968 Cynthia filled for divorce. Cynthia and John both had felt that they were drifting apart. It was apparent he was not much interested in his current life with his wife, and son. The separation was finalized in November. But John married Yoko Ono in March of 1968.
Yoko Ono were very happy together. After only four days of being divorced [2] (http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=10#_ftn2)John and Yoko's first album collaboration, "Two Virgins," was released. [3] (http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=10#_ftn3)The cover (http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/XJ&sdn=honeymoons&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fuser.tninet.se%2F%7Edwe825h%2Ftwinfo.htm) showed nude photos of the lovers front and back, and was banned. This was not the only controversial thing that the public ardently shadowed. During their honeymoon in room 902, of the presidential suite in the Amsterdam Hilton, the press bombarded them. Assuming that the famous nudists would make love for their cameras the newlyweds spoke out about world peace. It was the honeymoon as a routine art, interlaced with a protest against the Vietnam War. The newlyweds headed north, taking corner suite rooms 1738-40-42 at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel in Montreal, to stage their next “in-bed” protest. John and Yoko also used their musical talents to spread peace.

It was in 1971 that The Beatles eventually came to an end. The band members had become separated, and did not stay in contact. They had dominated rock and roll of the 1960's and even to this day their musical dynasty is unrivalled.
Yoko and John eventually had a son named Sean. After several miscarriages, Sean was born on October 9th, 1975 the same day as his father. After the birth of Sean, John escaped from the public and the media so he could be a “ house-husband ”. John wanted to be more involved in the life of his Sean, because he was unable to be in the life of his other son Julian.
In August of 1980 John came out of retirement. He was able to write tons of songs when he was in retirement because there was no pressure from the media to produce another album. John had made another record named, “ Double Fantasy ”. John was now performing concerts for peace. The money he would earn would be given to foundations promoting peace. John was a major peace symbol to the world through out his career. He would always give quotes to the media about giving peace a chance.
Who would have known that John’s comeback, as a musician would only last for three months? On December 8th at around 5 p.m., John and Yoko left their apartment in the historic Dakota historic apartment buildings in New York City to go to their recording studio to direct the transfer of some of the “ Double Fantasy ” album numbers to singles. David Geffen, John’s record producer since The Beatles days, said that more than 700,000 copies of the album had already been sold. When they were leaving the Dakota, they were asked by a group of people for autographs. One of them was a man who would be later acknowledged as Mark David Chapman. John Lennon scribbled an autograph on the cover of "Double Fantasy" for Chapman. John and Yoko spent several hours at the studio on West 44th Street. They returned to the Dakota at around 10:50 p.m. They exited their limousine on the 72nd Street curb even though the car could have driven through the courtyard entrance. Three witnesses: a doorman, an elevator operator and a cab driver saw Mr. Chapman standing in the darkness of an arch. As John and Yoko walked by, Chapman yelled, “ Mr. Lennon ”. When he got his attention Chapman fired four l shots from his pistol. Two shots struck John in the left side of his back and two in his left shoulder. Both of the bullets caused internal damage and bleeding.
The officers found Chapman standing "very calmly". The police said he had dropped the revolver after firing it, and said [4] (http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=10#_ftn4)Chapman had J.D. Salinger's book“ The Catcher in the Rye ” and a cassette recorder with 14 hours of Beatles tapes. It was approximately 11:15 at night that John Winston Lennon was declared dead. David Geffen later issued a statement in Yoko’s behalf: "John loved and prayed for the human race. Please do the same for him ".
Within moments of the first broadcasts of the shooting, people began to gather at Roosevelt Hospital ( the hospital John was at ), and in front of the Dakota, reciting prayers, singing some of John’s songs and burning candles.
Some feel that John’s death was a set up by the government. These people do have reasoning for thinking this though because a lot of America’s peace activists like Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and John F. Kennedy have been assassinated. What all of these people all have in common is that they all promoted peace. This was look down upon by their piers in the government. Their out look on peace scared them, and knew that they influenced American citizens
This was defiantly a day that fans, friends, and family of John will never forget. John was encouragement to a lot of todays, and yesterday’s musicians of all genres. But John was also a figure to peace organizations, and rights activists all over the world.
I think that John was a humble man with a message to give to the world. John definitely made a difference in the world both positive, and negative. Negatively he was never really there for his first son or wife, and he experimented with drugs for a long time in his life. But positively, John was one of the greatest songwriters of all time, influenced people to be peaceful, and really loved the world.
I would like to meet John Lennon because he was a revolution to music and I would like to hear some of his stories and thoughts. I also think it would be interesting to have a discussion with him about President George Bush’s decisions in war. I think that John Lennon was influential and heroic, but if you were a musician he could defiantly be a hero. He defiantly influenced many people to give peace a chance.
If John was still alive today I think he would be a peace activist, and a musician trying to spread the word of tranquility, harmony, and peace throughout the world. If John was never born, there would not of been The Beatles which means some of the greatest musicians of all time might not of been inclined to pursue music as a career, or be inspired to have any type of career.
Other events happening in the world while John was alive were: The Vietnam War, The Nigerian Civil War, The US lands on the moon, and The first heart transplant.

1 http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/j/john_lennon.html

[2] (http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=10#_ftnref2) http://honeymoons.about.com/cs/canadiangetaways/a/johnyoko.htm

[3] (http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=10#_ftnref3) http://honeymoons.about.com/cs/canadiangetaways/a/johnyoko.htm

[4] (http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=10#_ftnref4) http://www.john-lennon.com/theassassinationofjl.htm

Rocky Raccoon
03-29-2006, 11:42 PM
:clap:

nice work man, accuracy is very good. I really like the opening too...good job.

R.I.P. John :boohoo:

d-day
03-29-2006, 11:47 PM
well done - i was real good friends with the doorman of a club we used to play at who was from england and used to hang out at the cavern and all the the other bars the quarrymen played at - got to hear a lot of great first hand stories about john - to me john lennon was one of the most important and influential song writers ever

Buddwalk
03-30-2006, 12:00 AM
wow good stuff man :wink:

RIP John :boohoo:

Roman529
03-30-2006, 02:19 AM
John Lennon's first wife was here at the Fine Art's Center last week...she wasn't bitter at all about Yoko....seemed like a sharp lady....I always think of the song Imagine and Strawberry Fields Forever when I think of John....he never acted like he was a rock star either. R.I.P. :boohoo:

playmaker1
03-30-2006, 04:43 AM
i really enjoyed reading that. I won't lie, Im not the bigest beatles fan, but I learned some. great post, thanks for spreadin' the knowledge

CalDolFan1014
03-30-2006, 04:47 AM
Great report. Good job Dolfan101. He was killed when I was only two months old. It's a shame that he was murdered by some sick, twisted so called "fan". He would have definitely kept making some of the best music if he was still alive. John Lennon is a legend of legends. May he R.I.P. :(

WharfRat
03-30-2006, 12:35 PM
Good Stuff Bro....
I visit Strawberry Fields in Central Park every chance I get when I go to NYC...which is often.
I Love it there.... very peaceful, reverent atmosphere.

Pagan
03-30-2006, 12:48 PM
Good work!

John was without a doubt an amazing man. Him & McCartney together = pure magic.

dolfan_101
03-30-2006, 10:22 PM
thanks guys! ya before i did the report i really had no interest in the beatles. but now i am rly diggin their stuff, and especially sum of his solo stuff. i love imagine, great song!

dolfan_101
05-23-2007, 08:25 PM
i wanted to revive this thread because i feel like a sell out kinda' jerk for saying i love imagine haha.and idk...i would like to hear more about what everyone thinks about lennon.since posting this i have a bunnnnch of beatles and lennon tracks, so im no longer a noob haha.