PDA

View Full Version : Who makes their own beef jerky?

Bobby Humphrey
03-30-2006, 01:57 AM
I have made lots before ….. but now I can’t find the salt/flavour packs I use to buy. So my question is …… can I make jerky without the salt? What kind of salt is it? What will happen if I don’t use it? …… anyone know?

King Felix
03-30-2006, 02:51 AM
i dont but i have had some that ppl have made and its gooooooooooooooooooooooooood :drool:

CalDolFan10x14
03-30-2006, 04:10 AM
I used to make it, but the damn dehydrator blew out. :yell: And it was goooooooooood!!! Beef jerky rules!

Beef jerky :hump:

King Felix
03-30-2006, 04:35 AM
I used to make it, but the damn dehydrator blew out. :yell: And it was goooooooooood!!! Beef jerky rules!

Beef jerky :hump:

:yeahthat:

playmaker1
03-30-2006, 04:40 AM
you need the salt. it is what helpt cure the meat. them the extra seasonings you add is what will help give it it's flavor. ie- pepper will make it a peppery taste. tryin' to help!

HysterikiLL
03-30-2006, 06:35 AM
^Don't listen to him. The salt is really scientology's secret brainwashing power. Replace the salt with crack cocaine :yes:

crack cocaine :hump:

rothshunger
03-30-2006, 06:41 AM
^Don't listen to him. The salt is really scientology's secret brainwashing power. Replace the salt with crack cocaine :yes:

crack cocaine :hump:
and dont forget the hint of cinnamon:sidelol:
chappelle out:lol:

cnc66
03-30-2006, 07:11 AM
I use teriaki sauce on my meat and that's salty enough.

bg34
03-30-2006, 07:24 AM
I make it all the time...gonna make some deer jerky this weekend :drool:...andI've never put salt in mine..I use Dale's seasoning (liquid), that's plenty salty for my taste.

inFINSible
03-30-2006, 07:46 AM
I use Jergens.

bg34
03-30-2006, 08:07 AM
:lol:

FinFan72
03-30-2006, 08:27 AM
I volunteer to be a taste tester for u guys:wink:

GRAPEAPE
03-30-2006, 09:55 AM
I make it all the time...gonna make some deer jerky this weekend :drool:...andI've never put salt in mine..I use Dale's seasoning (liquid), that's plenty salty for my taste. I marinate pork chops in Dales, it's the best stuff on Earth!!

FinaciousOne
03-30-2006, 11:18 AM
For those without dehydrators Alton Brown did a show using a common fan and paper air filters. He says the dehydrators can "cook" the meat changing the flavor.
His marinade is good though for sure. LINK (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_31151,00.html)

FinaciousOne
03-30-2006, 11:31 AM
I use Jergens.

That's for Beef Strokinoff.

GRAPEAPE
03-30-2006, 11:50 AM
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Bobby Humphrey
03-30-2006, 12:13 PM
I make it all the time...gonna make some deer jerky this weekend :drool:...andI've never put salt in mine..I use Dale's seasoning (liquid), that's plenty salty for my taste.

I have made deer, moose, elk and beef, but have always put that curing salt stuff in all of them.

So you are saying you have made jerky without any kind of curing salt what-so-ever and it turned out?

Can I have your recipe

calphin
03-30-2006, 04:11 PM
I use Jergens.

:sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol:
MMMMMMM Ill bet thats really good!

bg34
03-30-2006, 09:22 PM
I have made deer, moose, elk and beef, but have always put that curing salt stuff in all of them.

So you are saying you have made jerky without any kind of curing salt what-so-ever and it turned out?

Can I have your recipe

Sure, it's def. amateur at best but here it is.....A1 Steak Marinade-Mesquite, Half bottle of Dale's Seasoning, Frank's redhot hotsauce (medium sized bottle), Apple Juice, Cayenne pepper (usually just cover the surface)....then after placing on the trays I usually put a light sprinkle of more cayenne on the meat...I like it spicy.

bg34
03-30-2006, 09:24 PM
I marinate pork chops in Dales, it's the best stuff on Earth!!

you got that right!

Bobby Humphrey
03-30-2006, 11:42 PM
Sure, it's def. amateur at best but here it is.....A1 Steak Marinade-Mesquite, Half bottle of Dale's Seasoning, Frank's redhot hotsauce (medium sized bottle), Apple Juice, Cayenne pepper (usually just cover the surface)....then after placing on the trays I usually put a light sprinkle of more cayenne on the meat...I like it spicy.

mine is pretty easy as well ...... i kinda like yours, maybe someday i will try it. thanks bro.

i found this one on the net about 24 hours ago, thinking i might do this one soon:

about 3 lbs. of meat (see instructions below)
2/3 C Worcestershire sauce
2/3 C of soy sauce
1 tsp. of black pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
Options
1 tsp. liquid smoke
2-3 tsp. Tabasco Sauce
2-3 tsp. crushed red peppers
2-3 tsp. sesame seeds

Nappy Roots
03-30-2006, 11:49 PM

dales is the **** son, my uncle marinates his steaks in it. love it.

d-day
03-31-2006, 12:05 AM
mine is pretty easy as well ...... i kinda like yours, maybe someday i will try it. thanks bro.

i found this one on the net about 24 hours ago, thinking i might do this one soon:

about 3 lbs. of meat (see instructions below)
2/3 C Worcestershire sauce
2/3 C of soy sauce
1 tsp. of black pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
Options
1 tsp. liquid smoke
2-3 tsp. Tabasco Sauce
2-3 tsp. crushed red peppers
2-3 tsp. sesame seeds

can you make slim jims?

Bobby Humphrey
03-31-2006, 12:26 AM
can you make slim jims?

Funny u ask, I bought a special attachment so I can indeed make slim jims. But macho man has yet to do a voice over when I ate one …. However, my brother says it every time he bites one …… and I mean every time ……..

d-day
03-31-2006, 12:27 AM
Funny u ask, I bought a special attachment so I can indeed make slim jims. But macho man has yet to do a voice over when I ate one …. However, my brother says it every time he bites one …… and I mean every time ……..

you mean every single bite?

ILPhinFan88
03-31-2006, 12:39 AM
My father in law does, and brings me a big bag about every two weeks. :D

Bobby Humphrey
03-31-2006, 12:53 AM
you mean every single bite?

He says it on the first bite of every one, not on every bite. If he said it on every bite I think I would be in jail right now ……. Snapping into a slim guy named Jim ……..

d-day
03-31-2006, 12:56 AM
He says it on the first bite of every one, not on every bite. If he said it on every bite I think I would be in jail right now ……. Snapping into a slim guy named Jim ……..

f.f. this year?

Bobby Humphrey
03-31-2006, 01:50 AM
f.f. this year?

u bet, everyone from last year will be welcome back. and u will have a chance at the pigs again ......... 0-2 =s U.......

d-day
03-31-2006, 01:53 AM
u bet, everyone from last year will be welcome back. and u will have a chance at the pigs again ......... 0-2 =s U.......

i'll be there... :club:

Bobby Humphrey
03-31-2006, 02:04 AM
i'll be there... :club:

Isn’t that yellow guy like threatening me??? Isn’t there like some kind of rule against that??? The way I see it is that you have no choice but to ban yourself. If you do not ban yourself the very fabric of social integrity of finheaven will be lost forever ….. you don’t want that on your head do ya bro???? I thought not ……

But I am a forgiving man ……. I say we let finheaven vote ….. if you get more then half the votes you stay ….. less then half you go …… I don’t anticipate that you will be sticking around ….. so I understand if you ban yourself without the vote …..

d-day
03-31-2006, 02:11 AM
Isn’t that yellow guy like threatening me??? Isn’t there like some kind of rule against that??? The way I see it is that you have no choice but to ban yourself. If you do not ban yourself the very fabric of social integrity of finheaven will be lost forever ….. you don’t want that on your head do ya bro???? I thought not ……

But I am a forgiving man ……. I say we let finheaven vote ….. if you get more then half the votes you stay ….. less then half you go …… I don’t anticipate that you will be sticking around ….. so I understand if you ban yourself without the vote …..

I got a Harley-Davidson. Does that turn you on? Harley-Davidson?

Bobby Humphrey
03-31-2006, 02:16 AM
I got a Harley-Davidson. Does that turn you on? Harley-Davidson?

I find myself intrigued

Coral Reefer
03-31-2006, 02:27 AM
I have made lots before ….. but now I can’t find the salt/flavour packs I use to buy. So my question is …… can I make jerky without the salt? What kind of salt is it? What will happen if I don’t use it? …… anyone know?

I've never understood why someone would ruin a perfectly good steak by dehydrating it into a prune like substance.

Majpain
03-31-2006, 02:32 AM
How does one make beef jerkey :confused:

Coral Reefer
03-31-2006, 02:34 AM
How does one make beef jerkey :confused:

Take a steak and leave it outside in the sun for a month. :lol:

Majpain
03-31-2006, 02:39 AM
Take a steak and leave it outside in the sun for a month. :lol:

Lol:sidelol::rolleyes2.