PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain the US School system?

PhinsPhan
03-31-2006, 04:45 AM
What is the difference between public and private schools?

I was just reading things like the University of Miami has an average GPA acceptance of 4.0. Does this really mean straight As? This was also common throughout many schools.

Where I live in Alberta that would be next to impossible. Is it still based on a 4.0 scale or is there something I am missing. For example, some of the top students that graduated from our school had 3.9s. So in just above straight A- and A.

Also, what is an average score on a SAT? 1200?

ih8brady
03-31-2006, 05:30 AM
The HS I went to in NY was on a 4.0 scale but I've met ppl who have told me their HS did not have one on a 4.0 scale. The SAT changed last year, so I've heard and if you're interested, UM has an acceptance rat of 41% so a 3.9 out of 4.0 should get you in. Good luck!'

http://education.yahoo.com/college/facts/9262.html

PassRush
03-31-2006, 10:19 AM
South Florida is on a 4.0 scale. I graduated with a 2.01629. I will never forget that number, I was about ready to cry because I thought I would not get to graduate.

GRAPEAPE
03-31-2006, 10:26 AM
My highschool was based on a 12pt scale.
A+ 12
A 11
A- 10
down to F which was 0.

When they sent transcripts they changed it into the 4pt. scale.

Is it possible that You could be lookiing at a specific program? Say the acceptecnce into the engineering program is 4.0???

Nappy Roots
03-31-2006, 10:58 AM
my highschool was on a 4.0 scale as well. But, if you were in college classes/the smart classes, they counted extra. like i think my senior year, the highest we had was like a 4.6 gpa.

and 1200 is no where near the average. thats high. i think i got something like a 750-800. id say thats more average.

UltraDol-Fan
03-31-2006, 11:21 AM
my highschool was on a 4.0 scale as well. But, if you were in college classes/the smart classes, they counted extra. like i think my senior year, the highest we had was like a 4.6 gpa.

and 1200 is no where near the average. thats high. i think i got something like a 750-800. id say thats more average.

In my high school we had a 5.0 scale for classes that were AP (Advanced Placement) or Honors. I'm not sure about 800 being the average anymore since they changed the SAT, but that is about right when it still only went to 1600.

GreenMonster
03-31-2006, 11:26 AM
My GPA was just high enough to get HOPE scholarship for 1 year.. 2 people in my senior class scored 1600 on SAT, we had some really smart people, plus 500+ people..

Dolphin1184
03-31-2006, 11:50 AM

I was just reading things like the University of Miami has an average GPA acceptance of 4.0. Does this really mean straight As? This was also common throughout many schools.

Where I live in Alberta that would be next to impossible. Is it still based on a 4.0 scale or is there something I am missing. For example, some of the top students that graduated from our school had 3.9s. So in just above straight A- and A.

It depends on if its "Weighted" or "Unweighted" GPAs. 4.0 Weighted does NOT mean straight A's. You can get A/A+'s in honors or AP classes and get B's or even C's in other regular classes and still end up with a 4.0 (Weighted). That UM statistic must be weighted. UM's admission is not THAT demanding.

Nappy Roots
03-31-2006, 12:00 PM
In my high school we had a 5.0 scale for classes that were AP (Advanced Placement) or Honors. I'm not sure about 800 being the average anymore since they changed the SAT, but that is about right when it still only went to 1600.

oh my fault. i didnt know they had changed it.

NaboCane
03-31-2006, 12:26 PM
The school system in America was designed by middle-aged white people, and as such the system institutionally favors people with the mindset, culture base and social expectations of white people. That's why people of color, in particular black people do so poorly in the system, and in such large numbers that you can't help but see a pattern of disenfranchisement.

Additionally, from the time of its creation the schools system has deteriorated more than 100% from its original design. The purpose of schools today reflects the superficiality of everything else in our society; for example, companies that focus on looking rather than being financially healthy, or TV shows that are more about parading eye candy across the screen than having substance. Schools focus on memorization and discourage creativity, instead of teaching students how to learn, which would serve them far better throughout their entire lives than memorizing inane "facts" that are forgotten minutes after the final exams. Again, flash over substance.

This deterioration into a system that doesn't teach so much as enforce rote recitation has given the US - a nation in which, unlike other countries, all children are supposed to get an education - an alarmingly high number of functional illiterate high school graduates...people which have no hope of even surviving a semester in college, much less prospering in it.

Even many of those who manage to do well in the system because it is stacked so decisively in their favor graduate with little curiosity or desire to learn about the world around them; about other cultures, other languages, about the nature of the planet they live on or its place in the universe.

Does that answer your question about the US school system?

:wink:
</IMG>

Nappy Roots
03-31-2006, 12:35 PM
The school system in America was designed by middle-aged white people, and as such the system institutionally favors people with the mindset, culture base and social expectations of white people. That's why people of color, in particular black people do so poorly in the system, and in such large numbers that you can't help but see a pattern of disenfranchisement.

Additionally, from the time of its creation the schools system has deteriorated more than 100% from its original design. The purpose of schools today reflects the superficiality of everything else in our society; for example, companies that focus on looking rather than being financially healthy, or TV shows that are more about parading eye candy across the screen than having substance. Schools focus on memorization and discourage creativity, instead of teaching students how to learn, which would serve them far better throughout their entire lives than memorizing inane "facts" that are forgotten minutes after the final exams. Again, flash over substance.

This deterioration into a system that doesn't teach so much as enforce rote recitation has given the US - a nation in which, unlike other countries, all children are supposed to get an education - an alarmingly high number of functional illiterate high school graduates...people which have no hope of even surviving a semester in college, much less prospering in it.

Even many of those who manage to do well in the system because it is stacked so decisively in their favor graduate with little curiosity or desire to learn about the world around them; about other cultures, other languages, about the nature of the planet they live on or its place in the universe.

Does that answer your question about the US school system?

:wink:
</IMG>

:eek:

damn, nice post. http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Buddwalk
03-31-2006, 12:36 PM
Not sure really how our school works but I know they care more about academics then sports if that means anything. Not exactly sure but I know my sister scored like a 1400-1500 on her sat. Lots of colleges were looking at her and still are I guess.

PhinsPhan
03-31-2006, 03:27 PM
That explains alot, thanks for the help guys.
When I saw so many schools with a >3.8 GPA to get in my jaw dropped. Like I said even to get straight As in Alberta (which also happens to be one of the harder provinces in Canada) would be next to impossible.

Can someone answer the difference between public and private schools? All state schools must be public but which other ones are. Also are there any key distinctions between the two?

CharlestonPhan
03-31-2006, 05:00 PM

private schools (in this case colleges and universitites) are not budgeted state or federal money for day to day operations, whereas public colleges and universitites receive taxpayer money from their individual state to operate on.

students that go to private colleges and universities can and do receive student loans and such however.

private colleges and universitites are generally set their standards for admission higher and cost significantly more to attend because tuition has to offset the lack of taxpayer funding..

UltraDol-Fan
03-31-2006, 05:35 PM
private schools (in this case colleges and universitites) are not budgeted state or federal money for day to day operations, whereas public colleges and universitites receive taxpayer money from their individual state to operate on.

students that go to private colleges and universities can and do receive student loans and such however.

private colleges and universitites are generally set their standards for admission higher and cost significantly more to attend because tuition has to offset the lack of taxpayer funding..

:yeahthat:

PassRush
03-31-2006, 06:02 PM
I believe that if your college aplication gets rejected, your tax dollars should no longer be required to support that university. Just my random thought of the thread.

Carry on