PDA

View Full Version : NFL Team in L.A. Again?

KingCrowder
03-31-2006, 05:33 PM
In the coming weeks, NFL owners will get an in-depth look at the two competing stadium proposals for the Los Angeles market. But Commissioner Paul Tagliabue received an informal preview Thursday of the Coliseum's pitch in a breakfast meeting with L.A. City Councilman Bernard C. Parks in Orlando. The meeting was a coup for Parks, who spent nearly two hours discussing a range of issues with Tagliabue. Until now, members of the Coliseum Commission met almost exclusively with NFL staff working on the negotiations, not directly with Tagliabue.
-- Los Angeles Times

I know the NFL has said many of times that they want to put a team back in L.A. it looks now as they are stepping up the efforts. But i ask is this really good for the NFL? I mean all the divisons have an equal number of teams. So either L.A. would be an expansion team and one division would have an odd number of teams, Or somebody is going to lose there franchise and watch it move to L.A. The only other thing the NFL could do is add 7 other teams along with L.A. to balance out the divisons. but then they would need to add at least two more weeks to the reagular season and maybe expand the playoff and i don't see either of that happening.

So in short I think the NFL should just forget about L.A. The NFL is fine the way it is. Anyone else have any thoughts about this?

Jaj
03-31-2006, 06:04 PM
In the coming weeks, NFL owners will get an in-depth look at the two competing stadium proposals for the Los Angeles market. But Commissioner Paul Tagliabue received an informal preview Thursday of the Coliseum's pitch in a breakfast meeting with L.A. City Councilman Bernard C. Parks in Orlando. The meeting was a coup for Parks, who spent nearly two hours discussing a range of issues with Tagliabue. Until now, members of the Coliseum Commission met almost exclusively with NFL staff working on the negotiations, not directly with Tagliabue.
-- Los Angeles Times

I know the NFL has said many of times that they want to put a team back in L.A. it looks now as they are stepping up the efforts. But i ask is this really good for the NFL? I mean all the divisons have an equal number of teams. So either L.A. would be an expansion team and one division would have an odd number of teams, Or somebody is going to lose there franchise and watch it move to L.A. The only other thing the NFL could do is add 7 other teams along with L.A. to balance out the divisons. but then they would need to add at least two more weeks to the reagular season and maybe expand the playoff and i don't see either of that happening.

So in short I think the NFL should just forget about L.A. The NFL is fine the way it is. Anyone else have any thoughts about this?

Do not say that again...

L.A. is desperate for a team. The Rams are and Raiders are morons for leaving. The amount of revenue in L.A. could be incredible and it would stop me from having to watch Raider games:D

KingCrowder
03-31-2006, 06:09 PM
Do not say that again...

L.A. is desperate for a team. The Rams are and Raiders are morons for leaving. The amount of revenue in L.A. could be incredible and it would stop me from having to watch Raider games:D

I Don't remember that many people going to see the Rams or the Raiders when they in L.A.? :lol:

But trust me I feel your Pain I only get Browns and Lions games around here :lol:

In_Flames
03-31-2006, 06:59 PM
if in fact L.A. gets an expansion team, Im just curious as to what they would be called...anyone heard any team name proposals or have one of their own :confused:

btw I also think it is more likely an already existing team relocates rather than a new expansion team be added..

BBsuck
03-31-2006, 09:26 PM
I hope the Bills are on the way..Stick your heads between your knees and prepare for crash landing.
LA Bills make ya want to shout!!..:boohoo:

KingCrowder
04-01-2006, 12:22 AM
if in fact L.A. gets an expansion team, Im just curious as to what they would be called...anyone heard any team name proposals or have one of their own :confused:

btw I also think it is more likely an already existing team relocates rather than a new expansion team be added..

If they moved a team i think the Giant or Jets would be a good choice since they share the same stadium.

pigskinguy
04-02-2006, 02:16 PM
If they moved a team i think the Giant or Jets would be a good choice since they share the same stadium.

It is a 100% guarantee that it won't be either. They are currently building a new stadium together. And the Jets are currently working on plans for a new practice facility.
Link: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9349298

Amars
04-02-2006, 11:45 PM

ya you say that because you have a team near you.

The NFL will make tons more money if they had a team in LA. Trust me with the popularity USC football has made and the $$$ they have made. The NFL doesnt want to lose that chunk of change.

Amars
04-02-2006, 11:52 PM
I Don't remember that many people going to see the Rams or the Raiders when they in L.A.? :lol:

I cannot believe what im reading. My dad was a season ticket holder when the raiders where here and we went to games all the time and there were always tons of fans in the stadium. The collisium hold over 70000 people. The Raiders pull more crowd then alot of football team in the NFL including my beloved fins.

Nublar7
04-03-2006, 12:49 AM

I haven't heard any names yet. My bet is that they will relocate either Jacksonville, Buffalo, Minnesota or San Diego.

KingCrowder
04-03-2006, 01:07 AM
ya you say that because you have a team near you.

The NFL will make tons more money if they had a team in LA. Trust me with the popularity USC football has made and the $$$ they have made. The NFL doesnt want to lose that chunk of change.

No, i say that because the NFL doesn't need an odd number of teams for one, and i don't see why another market should lose their team just so california can have FOUR teams.

nick1
04-03-2006, 10:59 AM
this is good I think the NFL needs more teams

Amars
04-04-2006, 11:31 AM
No, i say that because the NFL doesn't need an odd number of teams for one, and i don't see why another market should lose their team just so california can have FOUR teams.

And what wrong with odd number team. We have had it for over 30 years in the nfl. I dont remember affecting the level of play. And if California has 10 teams who cares aslong as they fill the seats. You can probably compare 1/4 of the US to california in terms of population and California will still have more people.

In_Flames
04-04-2006, 01:54 PM
Amars, being from L.A. do you think people there would rather see a current team relocate there, and if so which one(realistically), or would they rather just see an expansion team added if given the choice?

Layfield
04-04-2006, 08:06 PM
I don't want an LA team, especially if they are AFC. They would totally mess me up because CBS would play thier game every weak instead any other game.

Amars
04-05-2006, 01:40 AM
expansion team is what most people want here. From people who call in on sports radio here in LA they want a team of thier own.

Amars
04-05-2006, 01:45 AM
I don't want an LA team, especially if they are AFC. They would totally mess me up because CBS would play thier game every weak instead any other game.

It is true that we'll get less games but aint nothing like going to a game, Tailgating, and seeing some good football. For the amount I spend on flying, booking hotel room and spending cash to see a football game I rather buy season tickets. I easily spend $400 when i plan to go to a game. i rather spend $1000 for season tickets and go to 8 games.

Califin
04-06-2006, 10:16 PM
I don't mind the drive to San Diego, when the Fins fly out here.

While I had the Sunday Ticket last season, if I can't get another affordable rate this year, I may hacksaw this dish off the roof.
If I do, I don't wanna return to basic TV, to find some local team monopolizing every televised Sunday AFC match-up.
If its the Coliseum, I know I wont be going to many, if any games there.

After getting snubbed, time and again by the NFL, I can't believe city officials are still trying to pimp that tired location.

Oh well, suppose it works to my benefit.

BE GOOD
04-06-2006, 11:42 PM
Why not move the Raiders back to LA, which I think is a possibility. They don't even sell out in Oakland. Yet there are still plenty Raider fans around the nation. McAffe Colliseum or whatever its called now a days, it's crap anyway.

Califin
04-07-2006, 03:15 AM
Now if Wayne were to lease it, we could turned the Coliseum into an away Home Stadium, and apparently since their no longer being used, we could install authentic Dolphin signage and symbols throughout, no need for bronze over here in LA, we could just get a plaster Marino Bust for out front, and simply call it Dolphin Colliseum.

phunwin
04-07-2006, 09:52 AM
IMHO, here are the odds on an NFL team in LA...

Buffalo Bills - 3:2
The odds would be even lower than that, but there's recent talk that Rochester billionaire Tom Golisano will buy the team. I hope he does; Buffalo shouldn't lose its team. Otherwise, this is easily the odds on favorite. Really old owner without significant community ties, depressed economy, low revenue stream, stadium lease that can be broken without significant cost.

New Orleans Saints - 4:1
This SHOULD be the team to move. The city was barely viable to begin with. Hopefully the political pressure to keep the team in New Orleans will die down before too long. Exactly why there's so much pressure to keep a team in one city, that cannot support their team, because of a natural disaster, and why there's virtually no pressure to keep a team in another city, that can support it, that's had an absolutely miserable last 100 years is beyond me. Ah, hypocrisy.

No Team in LA - 6:1
The NFL seems intent on putting a team in Los Angeles, but we've heard that before. The people there who have been pushing for a team have repeatedly failed to get their act together...why expect them to now?

Jacksonville Jaguars - 7:1
The Jags are good, yet never fill the stadium, and don't have a particularly large and/or wealthy community to draw upon. There's also no history to keep the team there, for that matter.

San Diego Chargers - 15:1
They were in LA once before, and they almost moved there not too long ago, why not a return trip? Still, it seems they're pretty happy in San Diego, and will be more so once a new stadium gets built, which it will, I think.

Minnesota Vikings - 20:1
They hate the Metrodome, but I think they're seriously planning a new, outdoor stadium for the Vikes. New stadiums = happy owners.

DolfanDaveInATX
04-07-2006, 11:02 AM
I haven't heard any names yet. My bet is that they will relocate either Jacksonville, Buffalo, Minnesota or San Diego.

The Vikings are getting a new stadium in Blaine for the 2009 or 2010 season. There are now only four relocation possibilities, ranked in order of likelihood:

(1) San Diego -- they've hit a stonewall trying to get a new stadium there and can get out of their lease after 2008

(2) New Orleans -- it's a pipe dream to think there will be enough of an economic base returning to be able to support any major-league franchise

(3) Jacksonville -- having significant attendance problems and the league now realizes it was a mistake to put a team there

(4) Buffalo -- lots of fan support but the stadium won't allow them to stay competitive in the 21st century NFL

Amars
04-07-2006, 11:22 AM
jacksonville I think is the most likely team to move.

Coral Reefer
04-07-2006, 12:21 PM
I cannot believe what im reading. My dad was a season ticket holder when the raiders where here and we went to games all the time and there were always tons of fans in the stadium. The collisium hold over 70000 people. The Raiders pull more crowd then alot of football team in the NFL including my beloved fins.

I find this viewpoint interesting since L.A. has had 2 teams already and despite you saying that L.A. is such fertile NFL territory, both teams left.

Both teams also cited lack of support as one of the reasons for leaving.

So tell me how you came to the conclusion that you posted?

Coral Reefer
04-07-2006, 12:24 PM
Minnesota Vikings - 20:1
They hate the Metrodome, but I think they're seriously planning a new, outdoor stadium for the Vikes. New stadiums = happy owners.

I haven't seen anything on that but I applaud the Minny owners if they do go back to an outdoor stadium.

DolfanDaveInATX
04-07-2006, 12:36 PM
I haven't seen anything on that but I applaud the Minny owners if they do go back to an outdoor stadium.

Retractable roof.

Roman529
04-07-2006, 03:31 PM

But trust me I feel your Pain I only get Browns and Lions games around here :lol:

If people in LA are not going to come out to watch the NFL then why force a team down their throats? I can't see the NFL adding another team as it would put the eight 4 team divisions out of whack.....I think some team would have to relocate. The Bills?? :D

phunwin
04-08-2006, 03:54 PM
Retractable roof.

That sucks. I originally heard it was an outdoor stadium, but apparently I was mistaken. Of course, having made the trip to Ralph Wilson Stadium many times in sub-zero weather, I'm not sure I can blame them.

expansion team is what most people want here. From people who call in on sports radio here in LA they want a team of thier own.

And I want to play third base for the Mets, but that doesn't mean it's going to happen. The NFL isn't going to expand anytime in the near future. They're very happy with the 32 team setup; it works very well for divisions and scheduling purposes, and avoids excess dilution of the talent pool. I don't think we'll see expansion for at least a decade, and probably much longer. Remember that the NFL took, what, 25 years to go from 28 teams to 32? LA can agitate for an expansion team all they want, but they're not getting one. A current franchise will move, and it will happen within 5 years.

Amars
04-08-2006, 08:27 PM
I find this viewpoint interesting since L.A. has had 2 teams already and despite you saying that L.A. is such fertile NFL territory, both teams left.

Both teams also cited lack of support as one of the reasons for leaving.

So tell me how you came to the conclusion that you posted?

GREED, GREED, GREED

No fans was copout excuse for them to leave. Oakland said to Al Davis that they have season ticketholder selling out the stadium for 10 years and a new stadium. That why he left. Guess what niether happen. Why do you think he sued for 1 BILLION DOLLARS because they lied to him so they get him to leave LA a huge market to a small market. The colisium a 70,000 stadium is hard to sell out every single game.

As for the Rams. You have a golding ***** in Georgia Frontiere who drowned the owner of the rams and 86 his son to take over the franchise. They hated her here in los angeles. St. Louis promised a boat load of money. When the Rams moved to St. Louis, Frontiere was guaranteed a $275 million publicly funded stadium, and every year she was guaranteed $22 million in luxury suite and ticket revenues. Money boyz is why they left.

In the end it's gonna hurt them. Just look at the Lakers, Dodgers, Angels they are on the top for draw attandance in their repect sports. So you can say all you want about no fans attending that what they want you to think.