PDA

View Full Version : I think EA refuses to make a really good Madden game

Majpain
04-01-2006, 06:25 PM
To me EA half-***** all their sports titles.They throw in 5 new player animations,Add a new feature and touch up some things.I'm not saying its a bad thing its just year after year I fail to get really exicted about madden.They throw a new feature in whoopie.

Im pretty upset with their NFL coach game why not just make it a feature in 07?Why they did this is because they want more money so they can half *** the madden series.

End rant.

Metal Panda
04-01-2006, 07:53 PM
No, the Head Coach game is a good idea because I think it will be a lot more in-depth than Franchise mode.

Madden has been stagnating for years, however...which is why I'm ticked that due to the exclusive license, NFL 2k5 died. Superior in gameplay by far.

Majpain
04-01-2006, 08:10 PM
No, the Head Coach game is a good idea because I think it will be a lot more in-depth than Franchise mode.

Madden has been stagnating for years, however...which is why I'm ticked that due to the exclusive license, NFL 2k5 died. Superior in gameplay by far.

The thing that makes me mad about the coach game is its going so far in depth that it will force MAdden 07 to stay the same.I was hoping for some depth this year in the draft and off-season in 07 but that wont happen now.I'm starting to think ESPN was a better football title.

Link
04-01-2006, 08:15 PM

I was mad about that deal too. I always have liked Madden more but the competition I was hoping would push them to add add more and make the game better.

Majpain
04-01-2006, 10:07 PM
I was mad about that deal too. I always have liked Madden more but the competition I was hoping would push them to add add more and make the game better.

That was their reason to half *** their game.Look at Black hyped up to the max but its average.I think madden 08 is going to be great because by then the next gen consoles should all be out and EA will optimize the power doing so they will make new models and stuff.

I hope they dont screw 07 up.

unifiedtheory
04-01-2006, 10:37 PM
EA won't do anything more then they have to do when it concerns Madden '07. They don't have to.

They'll update the roster, maybe tweak the QB vision, add another new gadget and a couple of animations and that will be that....

I love playing the game but I have so many issues with it that it would take hours to describe them all.

This is what happens when there is a monopoly though.

Alex44
04-01-2006, 10:41 PM
I dont have any problem with Madden, and I thinks its crazy to say ESPN gameplay was even close to real as EA was

They will keep adding to madden year by year and improving it like always, if they just added everything in one year why would they even make one the next year? Its a process

Majpain
04-01-2006, 11:06 PM
I guess my point is I want more depth in the off-season but it looks like NFL head coach is getting that.Knowing EA they will charge 50 bucks for it.

mor911
04-01-2006, 11:13 PM
The Mor's been preaching this for years.... But Madden has too many fanboys to try and talk reality into.

Majpain
04-01-2006, 11:25 PM
The Mor's been preaching this for years.... But Madden has too many fanboys to try and talk reality into.

Yay a supporter!.

I also hope they do a better job with Fatigue.I'm also sick of each year draft class sucks.I mean 5 DE's shouldnt be taken in the top 10 its just stupid.

Metal Panda
04-01-2006, 11:48 PM
I dont have any problem with Madden, and I thinks its crazy to say ESPN gameplay was even close to real as EA was

They will keep adding to madden year by year and improving it like always, if they just added everything in one year why would they even make one the next year? Its a process

On ESPN NFL 25k, the player motions were more fluid. It looked more realistic when players were being tackled, instead of just flopping over like they do on Madden.

NJL52
04-02-2006, 02:09 AM
This is why America has anti monopoly laws. A company monopolizes an industry and they can half *** it without consequence.

EA Sports = Monopoly
Madden 200x = Halfassed until contract is up

Madden 360 actually degressed from original Xbox Madden. And I don't expect it to get much better any time soon.

Football games will suck for another 6 or so years.

Sigh......I hate old rich white people.

Agent51
04-02-2006, 02:47 AM
On ESPN NFL 25k, the player motions were more fluid. It looked more realistic when players were being tackled, instead of just flopping over like they do on Madden.

There's no doubt about it, ESPN killed Madden in presentation. Everything from tackle animations to custom stadium music to Chris Berman and the SPortscenter graphics and halftime highlights. However, I personally prefered Madden's actual gameplay (and I don't mean it's flaws before everyone jumps all over me about it) and control to ESPN. It felt more like a sim than arcady like ESPN, and Madden'c controls felt much "tighter" as opposed to ESPN's "loose" feeling controls. I wish they had a game that was ESPN's presentation and Madden's gameplay and graphics, THAT would be the perfect football game.

Metal Panda
04-02-2006, 02:50 AM
I don't know about the gameplay being that much more "arcadey" on ESPN. Sometimes there was a penchant for extremely long plays, but unlike past ESPN ventures like ESPN Baseball Tonight on the Sega Genesis (where baseball games would all be like 23-15 with 10 home runs per team), I think this was much more realistic than most other ESPN games.

I've honestly disliked the gameplay on Madden for the last few versions.

Despacio
04-02-2006, 05:04 AM

Wow, I cannot believe you said this. This is exactly what is wrong with EA and the Madden franchise. Add a little every year, just enough to justify slapping a new year on the cover. And the worst part is it has the mainstream audience eating it up. As per your statement.

The one thing a ESPN fan could always anitcipate was a willingness from the developers to drastically change and overhaul the following years game in an effort to make the best football game.

And just for the record, for every Madden fanboy who claims ESPN was too arcadey, your going to hear an ESPN fanboy claim the same about Madden.

mixmaster_matt
04-02-2006, 12:06 PM
The ESPN series was not only a great game, but since it added competition to Madden, Madden always had to upgrade. Which was good for the games. The thing that ESPN did that EA couldn't keep up with was that price tag. Didn't they start selling games at $19.99. EA couldn't keep up with that, so they drove ESPN out of the football world. It is horsecrap, but that is how it is.

Agent51
04-02-2006, 03:53 PM
I don't know about the gameplay being that much more "arcadey" on ESPN. Sometimes there was a penchant for extremely long plays, but unlike past ESPN ventures like ESPN Baseball Tonight on the Sega Genesis (where baseball games would all be like 23-15 with 10 home runs per team), I think this was much more realistic than most other ESPN games.

I've honestly disliked the gameplay on Madden for the last few versions.

Not arcady like BLitz arcady, but Arcady like it seemed liked the plays were in fast forward, the gamespeed was really fast. Also, it seemed like passes floated forever, like NFL Fever. And it was like jukes never worked unless you just shoulder charged, other than that the second someone came near you you were done. IDK, I just prefer Madden's gameplay and controls to ESPNs, but I'd MUCH rather have ESPN's presentation.

Medieval954
04-02-2006, 08:10 PM
EA could've easily incorporated their "NFL Head Coach" game into their Madden series in the franchise mode, but then they can't gouge customers for another $39.99*.

*Price is just a guess :wink:

Metal Panda
04-02-2006, 08:14 PM
EA could've easily incorporated their "NFL Head Coach" game into their Madden series in the franchise mode, but then they can't gouge customers for another $39.99*.

*Price is just a guess :wink:

Read this: http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/sports/nflheadcoach/news.html?sid=6146845&mode=previews

You are the third person who's claimed something like this, and yet nobody addresses the following:

How in the HELL would something that laborious be incorporated into Madden? The offseason in Madden takes almost an HOUR sometimes if you're laboring to sign a slew of free agents and go through the preseason. Which, if the Head Coach game is being designed as I think it is, will pale in comparison to what you have to do in the offseason on that game. Have you seen some of the screen shots? There's a lot more than picking plays and signing draft picks. Judging by that article, it would take half a day to get on the field if they incorporated all of that into Madden.

Fans of Madden who are more into the gameplay than the franchise mode might find it difficult to wade that long before actually stepping on the field.

I think the idea is a good one--players like me have been hankering with a more detailed and comprehensive franchise game. Now (hopefully) we've got it.

Madden's exclusive rights signing was largely upsetting to the ESPN fans such as myself, but some of you are running wild with the accusations. Incorporating the entire game into Madden...what a laugh. how about the people like me who've been dying for something like this for ages, without having to play the actual games myself.

Alex44
04-02-2006, 08:17 PM
Wow, I cannot believe you said this. This is exactly what is wrong with EA and the Madden franchise. Add a little every year, just enough to justify slapping a new year on the cover. And the worst part is it has the mainstream audience eating it up. As per your statement.

The one thing a ESPN fan could always anitcipate was a willingness from the developers to drastically change and overhaul the following years game in an effort to make the best football game.

And just for the record, for every Madden fanboy who claims ESPN was too arcadey, your going to hear an ESPN fanboy claim the same about Madden.

Ok Im on the side that thinks ESPN was waaay to arcadey

Im not saying Madden is perfect, there are areas to improve, but overall I have no problem with it

Medieval954
04-02-2006, 08:23 PM
Fans of Madden who are more into the gameplay than the franchise mode might find it difficult to wade that long before actually stepping on the field.

Doing the franchise mode in Madden is not a requirement, it is an option.

Metal Panda
04-02-2006, 08:25 PM
Doing the franchise mode in Madden is not a requirement, it is an option.

I understand that, and I knew somebody would say this...

but the exhibition mode sucks. Most people want to play a full season, since almost every NFL game since Techmo Bowl on the NES has full seasons.

It's just that I'm sure a lot of the gamers don't want to wait 6 hours to get to it, which is what would happen if you incorporated all of NFL Head Coach into this game.

Did some of you ever stop to think some of us want a game like this with the actual gameplay weeded out? I'd rather have a separate game than have to play such a long offseason on Madden.

Metal Panda
04-02-2006, 08:26 PM
Ok Im on the side that thinks ESPN was waaay to arcadey

Im not saying Madden is perfect, there are areas to improve, but overall I have no problem with it

Way too arcadey? The scores were pretty realistic in all of the games I ever played.

Medieval954
04-02-2006, 08:44 PM
Did some of you ever stop to think some of us want a game like this with the actual gameplay weeded out?
Playing an actual game in Madden franchise mode is also an option.

I do understand what you're saying and I do like the fact that something this in-depth is even being attempted. But with dual-layered discs they can fit it in as part of their exisiting franchise mode, and with everything in the franchise mode being an option to play or to sim already, I feel it shouldn't be sold as a separate product.

That being said, I'll give it a rental :goof:

Alex44
04-02-2006, 08:47 PM
Way too arcadey? The scores were pretty realistic in all of the games I ever played.

maybe you arent good enough j/k :lol:

I havent played a whole lot of ESPN Football, but what I did play led me to see madden as a far superior series

Agent51
04-02-2006, 09:15 PM

Again, I don't think he meant "arcadey" to mean it's crazy scoring like NFL Blitz, I think he meant the controls felt loose and stuff like that, and it seemed more fast pacedl, like the gamespeed was too high.

Metal Panda
04-02-2006, 09:44 PM
guess I never really saw it that way.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
04-02-2006, 10:19 PM
i don't think the ESPN games were good at all. madden all the way...

and i love the head coach game. i think the name could've had more...pizazz i guess.

Metal Panda
04-02-2006, 11:03 PM
the ESPN games were awesome. Honestly after I got ESPN NFL 2k5, I actually never picked up madden 2005 again.

N-A
04-03-2006, 01:01 AM
I really hope they do something special with Madden 07 on the 360 but I doubt they will. 06 was utter garbage. The sad thing is I'll probably buy it anyway.

AquaInferno
04-03-2006, 12:33 PM

As there's far too many of you stuck in 2K5. Can't let go of one game, one year, no mention ok 2K-2K4, JUST 2K5. I'll see one of you in like the year 2025, drunk in an alley asking for change to buy some game, thanking me as I hand you 50 cents and tellin me that 2004 was the year.

Dolfan11
04-03-2006, 01:30 PM
The only two things I will give the 2K series over madden is gameplay and the ESPN license. I am a madden fan, and for many years have always felt like it's been the better game. Most people feel that the monopoly EA has over the football gaming genre is not good for the football fans. I say why is it? Why isn't it better? Their working with ESPN, and if I remember correcty, they are also working with team members of the 2K series. You want more indepth off season mode in your franchise? Maybe that's the point of picking up Madden and the NFL coaching game. I feel that while a company of thier magnitude can't please everyone, they will deliver a solid football game come 07. I just hope it's anywhere near the piece of sh!t that Madden 360 was.

Majpain
04-03-2006, 01:41 PM
The whole deal was bad.EA was already half assing games now when that deal was reach they are allowed to half *** it because they know people will buy because its the only football game on the market.

Deus Ex Dolphin
04-03-2006, 07:27 PM
Does it matter if you prefered Madden or the 2K football games? You can debate on and on about this feature or that feature. The real question here is:

Is competition a good thing?

Anyone want to argue that it's BETTER to have just one NFL game? Or one NBA game? One MLB game? And the list goes on.

EA understands that they'll sell plenty of copies of Madden each year, no matter how much or little effort they put into improving the game, thanks to that exclusive deal.

SirDrums
04-03-2006, 08:25 PM
Kinda stink just like the Sunday Ticket deal that Dish networks has. Yeah, you get to watch all the games, but add a liitle competition into the picture and not only would prices drop, we would get new services and deals as well. Same thing goes for games.

In this economy and market motivation comes from competition.

UCFinfan86
04-03-2006, 08:52 PM
what all of you guys fail to realize is, this isn't EA's fault that there is no 2k5, its the NFL's fault. The NFL said they wanted only 1 football game and whoever paid the most would get the rights. Now if you the owner of EA are you not gonna do it?

dQbell
04-06-2006, 09:48 PM
For me the 2K series was more creative. Custom stadium music, online leagues, the ESPN presence. Serious, it was next gen. Madden 360 is claiming to be next gen and charging you 59.99. Crazy.

Now, in 2K Sports other titles their leagues are more enhanced with fantasy drafts and all. You can even practice with your team online. It's a shame all that creativity was cutoff by the exclusive license.

Buddwalk
04-06-2006, 10:00 PM
The fact of the matter was EA was threatened when 2k5 was released because it actually did better then madden and honestly was a better game

The online gameplay of 2k5 was amazing...unlike maddens that year

Not saying madden is a bad game by any means...infact I love madden just bugs me that its the only football game to choose from

byroan
04-06-2006, 10:05 PM
As there's far too many of you stuck in 2K5. Can't let go of one game, one year, no mention ok 2K-2K4, JUST 2K5. I'll see one of you in like the year 2025, drunk in an alley asking for change to buy some game, thanking me as I hand you 50 cents and tellin me that 2004 was the year.

Your post makes no sense. Of course everyone brings up 2k5, it was the best game of the 2k series. The other 2k games were great, especially the first ones on the dreamcast. But what's the point of mentioning them? I don't see you mentioning Madden 1998.

Metal Panda
04-06-2006, 11:07 PM
Your post makes no sense. Of course everyone brings up 2k5, it was the best game of the 2k series. The other 2k games were great, especially the first ones on the dreamcast. But what's the point of mentioning them? I don't see you mentioning Madden 1998.

NFL Gameday 1997!11!!1!111

Dolfan11
04-10-2006, 08:33 PM

TECMO SUPERBOWL FTW!

lvstud84
04-12-2006, 12:57 AM
There's no doubt about it, ESPN killed Madden in presentation. Everything from tackle animations to custom stadium music to Chris Berman and the SPortscenter graphics and halftime highlights. However, I personally prefered Madden's actual gameplay (and I don't mean it's flaws before everyone jumps all over me about it) and control to ESPN. It felt more like a sim than arcady like ESPN, and Madden'c controls felt much "tighter" as opposed to ESPN's "loose" feeling controls. I wish they had a game that was ESPN's presentation and Madden's gameplay and graphics, THAT would be the perfect football game.

took the words right out of my mouth! i love the presentation of ESPN but now that they aren't making it anymore I'm playing Madden as we speak and recently joined a site: maddenauthority.com and Madden is really all about the schematics of the game. If you go to that site it breaks down plays and you can change your playing style tremendously by doin things such as formation shifts and audibles. You really have to be into the coaching of football to enjoy Madden. It takes a lot of time and patience. My coworker plays in tournaments every week and he is unstoppable. For normal gamers though that just wanna have a good time they need a good mix of Madden and ESPN.

lvstud84
04-12-2006, 12:58 AM

that game was great but it was way too easy to intercept!!!! pissed me off frankly

dQbell
04-12-2006, 02:49 PM
took the words right out of my mouth! i love the presentation of ESPN but now that they aren't making it anymore I'm playing Madden as we speak and recently joined a site: maddenauthority.com and Madden is really all about the schematics of the game. If you go to that site it breaks down plays and you can change your playing style tremendously by doin things such as formation shifts and audibles. You really have to be into the coaching of football to enjoy Madden. It takes a lot of time and patience. My coworker plays in tournaments every week and he is unstoppable. For normal gamers though that just wanna have a good time they need a good mix of Madden and ESPN.

I agree with you about having to really get into the game as if you were coaching. But, the game also has a very "programmed" feel to it. For instance, in Madden, if you are running hard and your RB is dominating...boop, he fumbles. Same with going up in the game...boop..punt return fumble. After a while you begin to expect it and it becomes, "What do I do to prevent the inevitable here..."

I agree thought that you have to really know football to succeed in Madden.