PDA

View Full Version : Computer help please

Miamian
04-02-2006, 04:41 PM
I just got a new refrigerator and whenever the compressor turns on it makes the image on my computer screen vibrate, even though they're in separate rooms. Does anyone have a similar experience and suggestion?

FinaciousOne
04-02-2006, 04:54 PM
I just got a new refrigerator and whenever the compressor turns on it makes the image on my computer screen vibrate, even though they're in separate rooms. Does anyone have a similar experience and suggestion?

Is your computer screen on the same circuit with the compressor motor?
If so, isolate the screen to a circuit without electromechanical devices (motors).
Electrical resistance (incandescent lighting, heating etc) should be OK. Some ballasts for Fluorescent lighting can also send interference to other devices on the same circuit.

Roman529
04-02-2006, 11:28 PM
Or maybe try to plug the fridge into another outlet?? :confused:

Miamian
04-03-2006, 05:58 AM
Is your computer screen on the same circuit with the compressor motor?
If so, isolate the screen to a circuit without electromechanical devices (motors).
Electrical resistance (incandescent lighting, heating etc) should be OK. Some ballasts for Fluorescent lighting can also send interference to other devices on the same circuit.
Way too technical for me. But thanks.

Miamian
04-03-2006, 07:48 AM
Or maybe try to plug the fridge into another outlet?? :confused:
I'll try it. Thanks.

inFINSible
04-03-2006, 07:53 AM
:spit:

Let me interpret....plug it in to another outlet.

:sidelol:

sorry, michael....

Miamian
04-03-2006, 07:58 AM

sorry, michael....
Now, just what would I ever do without you????
:lol:

inFINSible
04-03-2006, 08:02 AM
Now, just what would I ever do without you????
:lol:
you had tears running down my face for a second....that was priceless. :lol:

Miamian
04-03-2006, 09:29 AM
you had tears running down my face for a second....that was priceless. :lol:
Oh, I have an idea! Would you mind coming over and teaching me how to do this?:tongue:

WharfRat
04-03-2006, 02:04 PM
Oh, I have an idea! Would you mind coming over and teaching me how to do this?:tongue:

I will! :cooldude:
I've always wanted to see Isreal!

Miamian
04-03-2006, 02:09 PM
I will! :cooldude:
I've always wanted to see Isreal!
Let me know your flight details.:wink:

WharfRat
04-03-2006, 02:29 PM
Let me know your flight details.:wink:

:lol: Believe me... I'd be on my way if I could... It's breaking away from work that is the problem. :(

Miamian
04-03-2006, 02:32 PM
:lol: Believe me... I'd be on my way if I could... It's breaking away from work that is the problem. :(

הבית שלי זה הבית שלך
My house is your house.

FinaciousOne
04-03-2006, 02:33 PM
Sorry for the confusion.

sorry, michael....

Thanks for covering me with the translation.:cooldude:
Maybe I should have responded in Hebrew instead of Greek.:D

Any way, Miamian by "circuit" I mean all of the outlets that are powered by a single circuit breaker or fuse on the home or apartments breaker box where the power comes in to the house or apt. These are the breakers that kick out when there is an overload to prevent a fire. (I hope they use them in Israel).
The goal is to have the screen on a different circuit than the refrigerator.

I hope this is clear. Let us know if you're successful. Good Luck.

Miamian
04-03-2006, 03:46 PM
Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for covering me with the translation.:cooldude:
Maybe I should have responded in Hebrew instead of Greek.:D

Any way, Miamian by "circuit" I mean all of the outlets that are powered by a single circuit breaker or fuse on the home or apartments breaker box where the power comes in to the house or apt. These are the breakers that kick out when there is an overload to prevent a fire. (I hope they use them in Israel).
The goal is to have the screen on a different circuit than the refrigerator.

I hope this is clear. Let us know if you're successful. Good Luck.I actually don't have a breaker box inside the apartment. There is a box outside with the meter and some switches but it's for two apartments. I'm not sure, but it looks like all the outlets in the apartment are powered through the same circuit.

Would you like to come to Israel and take a look?:wink:

FinaciousOne
04-03-2006, 04:39 PM
I actually don't have a breaker box inside the apartment. There is a box outside with the meter and some switches but it's for two apartments. I'm not sure, but it looks like all the outlets in the apartment are powered through the same circuit.

Would you like to come to Israel and take a look?:wink:

My wife and I have always wanted to go to Israel. Someday, maybe with a little more notice.:D

If in fact you can't separate them on different circuits then there are some altenatives:

1.) You mentioned the problem started when you got a new refrigerator. If it is brand new, you can check the manual or contact the manufacturer for troubleshooting information on electrical interference.

2.) There are surge protectors available that also have built-in electrical interference suppressors that help block the signals coming from the motors. Don't be overwhelmed by their names. These things are just the little units that get plugged into between your electronics (computer and monitor) and the wall socket. They protect the computer from lightning and high voltages.
Here is an example. (http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=howTo&p=BuyGuide/SurgeProtectorGuide.html) Near the bottom, the EMI/RFI feature is what you would be looking for.

3). There is also the possibility that the magnetic field from the motor could be interfering with the screen through the air directly. Usually for this to happen they would have to be close to each other, maybe even with a wall between them. In this case maximizing the distance will usually prevent it.

Good Luck.

Roman529
04-03-2006, 04:41 PM
הבית שלי זה הבית שלך
My house is your house.

Mi Casa es su casa?? :wink:

Miamian
04-03-2006, 05:06 PM
My wife and I have always wanted to go to Israel. Someday, maybe with a little more notice.:D

If in fact you can't separate them on different circuits then there are some altenatives:

1.) You mentioned the problem started when you got a new refrigerator. If it is brand new, you can check the manual or contact the manufacturer for troubleshooting information on electrical interference.

2.) There are surge protectors available that also have built-in electrical interference suppressors that help block the signals coming from the motors. Don't be overwhelmed by their names. These things are just the little units that get plugged into between your electronics (computer and monitor) and the wall socket. They protect the computer from lightning and high voltages.
Here is an example. (http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=howTo&p=BuyGuide/SurgeProtectorGuide.html) Near the bottom, the EMI/RFI feature is what you would be looking for.

3). There is also the possibility that the magnetic field from the motor could be interfering with the screen through the air directly. Usually for this to happen they would have to be close to each other, maybe even with a wall between them. In this case maximizing the distance will usually prevent it.

Good Luck.
Thanks. The monitor is plugged into a surge protector, but #3 seems to be it as the monitor and the refrigerator are in corresponding places on opposite sides of a wall. I'll look into #1, but the manual is written only in Hebrew and I'll have to sit down with a dictionary to translate. It makes me appreciate all those quadri- and quinti-lingual manuals we receive with appliances.

Miamian
04-03-2006, 05:08 PM
Mi Casa es su casa?? :wink:
Sí señor.