PDA

View Full Version : Octopus eats shark

Celtkin
04-02-2006, 08:49 PM
I never would have believed that an octopus could capture and kill a 3-4 ft shark

Video (http://drunkenpuppies.com/2006/04/02/octopus-eats-shark-video/)

Muck
04-02-2006, 08:53 PM
So it's just a flat-out killer. It doesn't even eat them. Just kills them.

I blame the school system.

d-day
04-02-2006, 08:53 PM
:eek:

Celtkin
04-02-2006, 08:58 PM
So it's just a flat-out killer. It doesn't even eat them. Just kills them.

I blame the school system.

Before I switched over to Molecular Biology/Micro with a focus in Biochem, I was a Marine Biologist major. I especially loved the family that the octopus are a member of. They are super intelligent, hyper-predators that are built for one purpose...ambush.

Check this one out

Video (http://drunkenpuppies.com/2006/03/14/i-wish-i-could-do-this/)

PHINATIC13
04-02-2006, 09:05 PM
Wow! that second video Celtkin was amazing.

Muck
04-02-2006, 09:07 PM
Before I switched over to Molecular Biology/Micro with a focus in Biochem, I was a Marine Biologist major. I especially loved the family that the octopus are a member of. They are super intelligent, hyper-predators that are built for one purpose...ambush.

Check this one out

Oh, you think you're better than me huh.

Well mister smarty pants, I'll have you know I went to community college for four years, majoring in WTF. Then I decided to become even more impressive and go to some tech schools. I finished both of them. What you know about that??

:lol:

Seriously, that's an impressive animal. They just kill becase they can?? Being able to camoflauge to that extent is just unreal.

Celtkin
04-02-2006, 09:08 PM
Wow! that second video Celtkin was amazing.

If we could figure a way to incorporate that into battlefield fatigues/tanks/armor (etc). we'd be set

Jimi
04-02-2006, 09:09 PM

Check this one out

:eek: OMG that is insane. I knew they could change their skin color but thats straight rediculous.

I have seen the previous video tho, still awesome.

cnc66
04-02-2006, 09:09 PM
awesome, to bad my Uncle Gilbert didn't get to see that. He was an expert on cephalopods. There are amazingly smart and quite beautiful in the wild. I found one on a night dive at Molassas reef once that astounded me with the colors changes and behavior.

Celtkin
04-02-2006, 09:11 PM
Oh, you think you're better than me huh.

Well mister smarty pants, I'll have you know I went to community college for four years, majoring in WTF. Then I decided to become even more impressive and go to some tech schools. I finished both of them. What you know about that??

:lol:

Seriously, that's an impressive animal. They just kill becase they can?? Being able to camoflauge to that extent is just unreal.

As you get closer to your Doctorate, it gets less and less impressive...:lol: I love science and worked my way though the servitude of grad school for Molec/Micro at UCF and currently run a computer business...go figure

TotoreMexico
04-02-2006, 09:12 PM
:mg: unbelievable

Celtkin
04-02-2006, 09:14 PM
awesome, to bad my Uncle Gilbert didn't get to see that. He was an expert on cephalopods. There are amazingly smart and quite beautiful in the wild. I found one on a night dive at Molassas reef once that astounded me with the colors changes and behavior.

cephalopods = head foot :lol:

Wonderful animals. That's one spineless critter that I love

cnc66
04-02-2006, 09:24 PM
cephalopods = head foot :lol:

Wonderful animals. That's one spineless critter that I love

You studied marine biology, perhaps you knew him, Dr. Gilbert L. Voss, Rosensteil School of Marine and Atmospheric Science, University of Miami.
He was with them since the late 1940's and was instrumental in getting John Pennecamp State Park created.

Celtkin
04-02-2006, 09:28 PM
You studied marine biology, perhaps you knew him, Dr. Gilbert L. Voss, Rosensteil School of Marine and Atmospheric Science, University of Miami.
He was with them since the late 1940's and was instrumental in getting John Pennecamp State Park created.

I know of him as he is well cited in the biodiversity book that I have but I never had the pleasure of meeting him. I changed majors in my second year and have missed it ever since

FinFan72
04-02-2006, 09:32 PM
damn i would have never thought a octopus would kill a shark

dolfan72734me
04-02-2006, 09:36 PM
Have you seen this Celt? Scares the heck out of me:eek:
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/09/photogalleries/giant_squid/

Celtkin
04-02-2006, 09:40 PM
Have you seen this Celt? Scares the heck out of me:eek:
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/09/photogalleries/giant_squid/

No, I had not seen that article. Up till now, all records of the Giant Squid were from carcasses found beached.

Thanks much, bro. That is incredible

dolfan72734me
04-02-2006, 09:58 PM
No, I had not seen that article. Up till now, all records of the Giant Squid were from carcasses found beached.

Thanks much, bro. That is incredible
I was going to do marine bio at one time before got into geology. I might do underwater geo for my grad studies, though.

cnc66
04-02-2006, 10:09 PM
I was going to do marine bio at one time before got into geology. I might do underwater geo for my grad studies, though.

when I was working on a core sampling drill rig the lead driller used to take off every summer and go core sample for UM in the Bahamas for a month.

dolfan72734me
04-02-2006, 10:35 PM
when I was working on a core sampling drill rig the lead driller used to take off every summer and go core sample for UM in the Bahamas for a month.
that sounds sweet. i would love to do that.

CharlestonPhan
04-03-2006, 12:12 AM
wow...both very cool videos... very impressive stuff.

i think it is only fair that we as human follow the lead of another great Doctor, though this one was a Medical Doctor, who attended evil medical school.

yes thats right, after seeing what te octopus is capable of, i am forced to advocate the introduction of Dr Evils plan, in the interest of fairness, and begin equipping all sharks under 6 feet with laser beams.

it is clear to me that only sharks with frickin' laser beams stand a chance against the octopus.

Miamian
04-03-2006, 07:57 AM
Leviathan exists.

cnc66
04-03-2006, 08:54 PM
that sounds sweet. i would love to do that.

thought you might. He said that they would put a little cme 75 on a barge and go core sample around the islands from the water. I was envious as hell. I really liked the lithology of drilling and core sampling. I would sometimes find the most beautiful and vibrant clays that I ever could have imagined. I also had about a dozen cores 10 inches or so long with dramatic layering "drillers choice" We once hit four solid feet of gypsum that ran from clear to pink clear with occasional white viens. I had a 6 inch piece of that too. Fun but very hard and dangerous.

calphin
04-03-2006, 10:52 PM
Thats an amazing video!

Agent51
04-03-2006, 11:06 PM
Know what pisses me off, especially as a surfer? I was watching two things recently and both did the same thing, and it's horrible. First was one of the first episodes of MTV's "Wild Boyz" (which I had seen when it aired originally and just forgot about) and the other was some hour long shark special on the Discovery Science channel. They BOTH had scientist looking to see how Great Whites attacked and their "explosive" attacks in which they came out of the water and caught some pretty good air. Now the part that pisses me off. To get them to do this they dragged a damn SURFBOARD behind the boat and, sure enough, tons of Great Whites massacred it. This is total BS. It basically promotes shark attacks. "Experts" say that they attack surfers because of mistaken identity, which is understandable, but why use surfboards to get them to attack? That just seems like it is encouraging, and increasing, shark attacks on surfers. Obviously not on purpose, but c'mon, these guys are friggin' scientists, they should be smart enough to knwo that places like California have problems with Great White attacks on surfers so dragging a SURFBOARD to promote shark attacks for their research might not be the best choice. They can't use a dead seal, or somethign SHAPED like a seal, or a clump of baitfish?

dolfan72734me
04-03-2006, 11:15 PM
Know what pisses me off, especially as a surfer? I was watching two things recently and both did the same thing, and it's horrible. First was one of the first episodes of MTV's "Wild Boyz" (which I had seen when it aired originally and just forgot about) and the other was some hour long shark special on the Discovery Science channel. They BOTH had scientist looking to see how Great Whites attacked and their "explosive" attacks in which they came out of the water and caught some pretty good air. Now the part that pisses me off. To get them to do this they dragged a damn SURFBOARD behind the boat and, sure enough, tons of Great Whites massacred it. This is total BS. It basically promotes shark attacks. "Experts" say that they attack surfers because of mistaken identity, which is understandable, but why use surfboards to get them to attack? That just seems like it is encouraging, and increasing, shark attacks on surfers. Obviously not on purpose, but c'mon, these guys are friggin' scientists, they should be smart enough to knwo that places like California have problems with Great White attacks on surfers so dragging a SURFBOARD to promote shark attacks for their research might not be the best choice. They can't use a dead seal, or somethign SHAPED like a seal, or a clump of baitfish?
All of the animals show it seems promotes the predator and their violence. Gets to where I don't even watch them anymore. It is always some snake killing and eating a rat, or a lion killing a baby impala. I was always the one rooting for the prey to escape. I have pet rats, and I love them more than any other animals, but they are always portrayed as a disposable nothing. Pisses me off too, because I know how much of a great pet they make. My boy Rocky is sleeping in my lap right now.

Perfect23
04-03-2006, 11:22 PM
Woo

dolfan72734me
04-03-2006, 11:23 PM
Woo
:hmmm:

Coral Reefer
04-04-2006, 01:58 AM
As you get closer to your Doctorate, it gets less and less impressive...:lol: I love science and worked my way though the servitude of grad school for Molec/Micro at UCF and currently run a computer business...go figure

Another UCF Grad who started off following the Marine Bio. course and ended up doing something completely different.

I was in the Biology program at UCF and wanted to transfer to the Rosenthiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science at U. Miami for Grad school but I never made it.

Had a couple of classes with a teacher I really loved at UCF.
If I remember correctly his name was Dr. Ehrhardt.
We dissected Manatees in one class to research their cause of death and did Sea Turtle research in another. Fantastic classes.

I decided to try and go the money route in business rather than what I really loved. I do alright but I often wonder if I'd be much happier on the ocean every day.

Blade
04-04-2006, 02:32 AM
WOW, the changin colors is insane. The detail was unbelieivable by the octopus.

Ohio Fanatic
04-04-2006, 07:34 AM

My Uncle was also a professor of Marine Biology at Florida Institute of Technology. HIs name was Kerry Clark, he studied opisthobranchs and was very well renowned in Marine biology field. Unfortunately, he died most unexpectedly at young age of 50.

305TillIDie
04-04-2006, 08:19 AM
that octopus changing colors is something ive never seen in my entire life..that was crazy..:eek:

Skeet84
04-04-2006, 11:55 AM
Yeah I seen this a while back and was like wow did not see that coming.

Celtkin
04-04-2006, 04:03 PM
My Uncle was also a professor of Marine Biology at Florida Institute of Technology. HIs name was Kerry Clark, he studied opisthobranchs and was very well renowned in Marine biology field. Unfortunately, he died most unexpectedly at young age of 50.

I'm sorry to hear that you lost your Uncle at such a young age and at the height of his career. FIT is very close to where I live (same county) and has probably one of the best Marine Sciene program behind U of M's program, in the state.

Ohio Fanatic
04-04-2006, 05:20 PM
I'm sorry to hear that you lost your Uncle at such a young age and at the height of his career. FIT is very close to where I live (same county) and has probably one of the best Marine Sciene program behind U of M's program, in the state.

Thx, FITs program is completely credited to my uncle. They didn't even have a marine science program before he arrived and transformed it.

cnc66
04-04-2006, 05:47 PM
Thx, FITs program is completely credited to my uncle. They didn't even have a marine science program before he arrived and transformed it.

That is VERY cool bro. I am proud that my Uncle Gilbert helped put together Rosenstiel and had been there since the late 1940's, so I can understand YOUR pride. It is a crime that he passed on, he did however leave a legacy that will continue for generations. BTW, If I step to the back door I can see the Racy mansion, which was on the Jensen Campus of FIT in the very good old days. I hated it when they closed.

cnc66
04-04-2006, 05:55 PM
that octopus changing colors is something ive never seen in my entire life..that was crazy..:eek:

you should see it for real. I am an experienced diver and I damned near hyperventilated one night messing with an octopus. It would run for a moment and then stop and just disappear. If I got to close it would flash bright green and neon, so sooo cool.

Dubfire
04-04-2006, 05:59 PM
Reason #12567 why Dub does not like the ocean.

themole
04-04-2006, 07:53 PM

They'll bite the hell out of you too!:fire:

Ohio Fanatic
04-04-2006, 09:34 PM
you should see it for real. I am an experienced diver and I damned near hyperventilated one night messing with an octopus. It would run for a moment and then stop and just disappear. If I got to close it would flash bright green and neon, so sooo cool.

damn that sounds cool. and/or scary/exhilirating