PDA

View Full Version : Review -- Guitar Hero

JPhinfan86
04-04-2006, 01:41 AM
This is a game that we sold all FIVE sets of the first two weeks they were in. I knew there was something to it but I had yet to play it at that point. About a week later we had a used one come in and my Assistant Manager bought it immediately (used and with our discount he got it for only 30 bucks). My Asst. Manager (Justin) and my co-worker (Dave) hung out together that night and played, this motivated Dave to buy it for himself. After Dave got it I finally went to Justin's to play and holy freakin' crap. This game is amazing....it's finally brought some b@llz to the DDR style of gameplay. You must consider that at this point we were playing TWO PLAYERS with two guitars head to head and man it gets intense. Needless to say i'm sure, I myself purchased it today for over double what Justin got it for @ 70 bucks...but it's still worth it if you're a rocker.

With two players you don't simply play the same notes to see who's better, you each play an aspect of the same song. So, in order to have a nice functioning, familiar song you must BOTH play top notches riffs. Awesome. :rocker: Also, the wammy bar is used as an "ON FIRE" mode of sorts and it produces decent distortion where ever you so choose to use it. It's pretty amazing how when you start out it just seems formidable and after a while you'll be playing without thinking......like your mind does it on autopilot.

The tracklist rules too, some of my personal favorites: Megadeath: Symphony Of Destruction, Pantera has a track that I'm blanking on, White Zombie: Thunderkiss '65 Audioslave: Cochise, and Queens Of The Stone Age: No One Knows. The difficulty levels guarantee a different experiece every time. Every level-up adds a button. Easy uses Green, Red and Yellow Medium adds Blue to that and Hard adds Orange to that. Expert uses all buttons and insane speed......I WANT TO MEET THE PERSON THAT CAN HANG WITH THIS GAME ON HARD....let alone expert.

I recommend this game highly I'd give it a 9.4 out of 10. THE FIRST GAME I CAN SAY LITERALLY ROCKS!! :lol:

NOTE: Another suggestion is that you don't use the decals that come with the set....they're pretty lame. When I bought my set today I went straight to Hot Topic and got a few decals of my own. I got the "Punisher" skull logo (which I had to cut to make fit on the face...but that in itself made it look cooler) and a System Of A Down Decal that I put right below the pick. The only decal that came with it that I did use was the flames. I cut the bottom So it'd conform to the part above the pick. It looks sweet...custom. Dave and Justin have similar guitars because they both used the crappy ones.

Agent51
04-04-2006, 03:40 AM
I reviewed this game awhile back. I'm trying to contain myself here because I could go on for DAYS about the badassness of this game. This is quite possibly the coolest game I have ever touched. There is a Guitar Hero two confirmed, and word there there will be "genre specific" discs in the future, such as a full disc of alternative, a full disc of rock, even a full disc of country. I hope Sweet Child O Mine makes GH 2, that solo is my favorite solo EVER and it's the one game I wanna see most in GH2. Bands like GNR and AC/DC and Zeppelin and Metallica were all left out of the first one because they said no to their songs being in it because "it was a stupid idea". Haha, who's stupid now? The game won tons of awards and was sold out pretty much everywhere from like November when it came out til January-ish.

*EDIT* Here's my review: http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=116221&highlight=guitar+hero

UltraDol-Fan
04-04-2006, 10:21 AM
I had to chime in a say, I love this game too. I have completed all the songs on expert except Bark at the Moon and Cowboys from Hell. Also, for some help practicing I just found this cheat the other day...

Cheat: Rock meter will always stay green
At the Game mode selection menu, enter YELLOW, BLUE, ORANGE, ORANGE, BLUE, BLUE, YELLOW, ORANGE.

This will allow you to practice the whole song, not just until you fail, very helpful.

Pagan
04-04-2006, 03:50 PM
They need to make an "Yngwie Malmsteen Disc" so everyone can have seizures trying to play the game. :lol:

JPhinfan86
04-05-2006, 02:47 AM
There are plenty of cheats for this game in Tips & Trick's March edition:
Enter at the main menu -
Unlock EVERYTHING: Yellow, Orange, Blue, Blue, Orange, Yellow, Yellow (In rapid succession). This gives you all characters, songs, venues and guitars.

Also, I meant to include in my first post: SRV's Texas Flood is by far my favorite song on here. I've just 100% on medium and this is only my second day...rock the fock on! Oh, and I just realized that in spelling it correctly, I mispelled MEGADETH :lol: I put death. Anywho, within the first hour of playing this game I knew there would be sequels out the @ss. I also thought genre specific was the way to go. Smart move. I wanna see some Chevelle, Godsmack, Seether and Nickelback. :rocker:

JPhinfan86
04-05-2006, 02:53 AM
I reviewed this game awhile back. I'm trying to contain myself here because I could go on for DAYS about the badassness of this game.
Lol, i'm not trying to undercut you or anything. I just HAD to voice my opinion on this one. I did find it odd that there was no buzz whatsoever on the board about this innovative, amazing title.....guess there was..ROCK ON. Badassness is absolutely right.

Oh and about your sig: ROFLMFAO....

When Chuck Norris falls in a pool, Water doesn't get Chuck Norris wet, Chuck Norris gets water Chuck Norris. :lol: :rofl:

JPhinfan86
04-05-2006, 02:56 AM
Chuck Norris Doesn't Shave, He kicks himself in the face (when I visualized this one I laughed so hard I couldn't breath).

Chuck Norris has no chin under his beard, only another fist.

Agent51
04-05-2006, 01:15 PM
Chuck Norris Doesn't Shave, He kicks himself in the face (when I visualized this one I laughed so hard I couldn't breath).

Chuck Norris has no chin under his beard, only another fist.

When the boogeyman goes to bed at night he checks his closet for Chuck Norris :sidelol:

ricky williams
04-06-2006, 11:34 PM
just curious:

i am a beginner at guitar. i can play the most basic chords and i know 2 scales. is this game good as a learning tool or is it more for someone who already knows how to play guitar.

Buddwalk
04-06-2006, 11:35 PM
I had to chime in a say, I love this game too. I have completed all the songs on expert except Bark at the Moon and Cowboys from Hell. Also, for some help practicing I just found this cheat the other day...

Cheat: Rock meter will always stay green
At the Game mode selection menu, enter YELLOW, BLUE, ORANGE, ORANGE, BLUE, BLUE, YELLOW, ORANGE.

This will allow you to practice the whole song, not just until you fail, very helpful.

Both those songs are actually easiar on guitar then the game :chuckle:

Agent51
04-07-2006, 02:30 AM
just curious:

i am a beginner at guitar. i can play the most basic chords and i know 2 scales. is this game good as a learning tool or is it more for someone who already knows how to play guitar.

This game can be enjoyed by everyone, both players and non-players. I will say that real guitarists probably have an advantage because they are already used to fingering with one hand and strumming with the other, and have that sense of timing that they don't even really have to think about it. But someone who has never even touched a real guitar will also have a blast with this game. I have friends that have never played one note on a real guitar and actually went out and BOUGHT a PS2 JUST for this game because it is so fun. That is the great thing about this game, it's done in a way where anyone from casual video-gamer to hardcore guitarist can enjoy it.

Both those songs are actually easiar on guitar then the game :chuckle:

Yep, lol.

d-day
04-07-2006, 02:40 AM
props to jake e lee though - amazing guitar player...

ricky williams
04-07-2006, 04:21 PM
[quote=Agent51]This game can be enjoyed by everyone, both players and non-players. I will say that real guitarists probably have an advantage because they are already used to fingering with one hand and strumming with the other, and have that sense of timing that they don't even really have to think about it. But someone who has never even touched a real guitar will also have a blast with this game. I have friends that have never played one note on a real guitar and actually went out and BOUGHT a PS2 JUST for this game because it is so fun. That is the great thing about this game, it's done in a way where anyone from casual video-gamer to hardcore guitarist can enjoy it.

thxs for the info, i will probably go out and get the game after so many positive review.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
04-08-2006, 12:13 AM
i didn't really like it that much...the controller just feels dumb compared to a real guitar and i don't really like the music...

ricky williams
04-08-2006, 01:45 AM
i didn't really like it that much...the controller just feels dumb compared to a real guitar and i don't really like the music...

interesting, i was under the impression that u plug ur real guitar into the console. if this is not the case than it is just a somewhat different dance, dance, revolution w/ different music

PhinsPhan
04-08-2006, 04:53 AM
interesting, i was under the impression that u plug ur real guitar into the console. if this is not the case than it is just a somewhat different dance, dance, revolution w/ different music

ah no

You get a 2/3 size guitar controller with the game. It has three buttons that you have to push as the frets and one toggle switch that acts as a strummer. I have only heard two people complain about this game and they just didn't like it because they play guitar (they also dont like video games in general).

This game is freaking amazing. I love it, I just wish I got to play it more.

As for helping you play guitar. I highly doubt it. They are not the same at all.

Agent51
04-08-2006, 05:16 AM

Well, as a COMPLETELY bare bones classification, yes, it COULD be compared to DDR. However, I personally think DDR is THE dumbest game ever, but I think this is the GREATEST game ever, lol. It's only similar in concept, that being "press the button in time with it's on screen counterpart". Other than that they are complete opposites. I always HATED games where you have to keep rhythm with something on screen, but this one is just amazing. It's even BETTER because really play guitar. My bands do live shows, and let me tell you, this is as closed to the feeling of being a guitarist in a live show that you can get without actually doing it, lol. Everything from the controller to the crowd cheers/boos all feels natural and real, it's perfectly done.

ah no

You get a 2/3 size guitar controller with the game. It has three buttons that you have to push as the frets and one toggle switch that acts as a strummer. I have only heard two people complain about this game and they just didn't like it because they play guitar (they also dont like video games in general).

This game is freaking amazing. I love it, I just wish I got to play it more.

As for helping you play guitar. I highly doubt it. They are not the same at all.

IDK if it's a typo, but Guitar Hero's controller actually has 5 fret buttons. You forgot to mention that it lso has a WORKING Whammy bar, lol.

And as for helpng you play guitar, it's a toss-up. It won't TEACH you guitar, like chords and all that, but it can help you out a little with the timing. I have a friend who was trying to learn guitar and had a super weak pinkie, it'd just dead mute the string everytime he tried to use his pinkie. After months of playing this game it actually strengthened and loosened up his pinkie and he can use it fine in regular guitar playing now, lol. So while the game won't really teach you anything it can help with very subtle things like pinkie desterity and maybe timing (for beginners, obviosuly seasoned players already have pinkie fingering and timing down).

Also, for anyone else that plays, do you prefer to activate Star Power by flipping the control up or by using the Select button? I personally use the select button because when I'm playing on expert it usually MAJORLY screws me up if I do it the tilt way. IDK why, when I'm playing in real life I can move the guitar all over, run around, jump around, hold the guitar verticle etc etc and not miss any notes, but for somemreason in the game it just doesn't work for me, I tilt it up and I always miss a note or two. Plus, the select button is pretty close to where the bridge of a real guitar would be in relation to my picking hand, so i can just tap select with my palm and it feels just like a natural palm mute, I never break stride or anything.

ricky williams
04-08-2006, 05:30 AM
while i agree dance, dance is bad, it could be good if they had better music, beer, and boobs. although i guess that could be said about anything. the magic trio. i would dance the night away. such a strong feeling from the crowd, must check this game out.

Agent51
04-08-2006, 06:07 AM
while i agree dance, dance is bad, it could be good if they had better music, beer, and boobs. although i guess that could be said about anything. the magic trio. i would dance the night away. such a strong feeling from the crowd, must check this game out.

There IS a game that has that, well, boobs anyway, lol. It's called the Guy Game. It's basically trivia and you get to see boobies everytime the dumb chicks answer the question wrong

And yea, DEFINATELY gotta check it out, it is the ONLY game that I have ever called a GARUNTEED must buy, and that includes Madden and the GTAs and all those otehr "super-seller" series. The thing with GH, and most people who have bought it agree, is that you get crazy excited for it reading all the hype about it then you buy it and start on Easy and you are like "well, this is cool, but I don't see why there was SUCH a big deal and how people become addicted" but then you move up to medium/hard/expert and you are friggin hooked. This is because in career mode in Easy you don't win any money to buy new characters/guitars/paintjobs for guitars/songs etc etc. Easy is basically just practice, to get a feel for the game. You don't even use all the "fret" buttons, there are 5, you only use 3 in easy. When you do medium you use 4 of the buttons but you start earning money and thus can unlock stuff plus the use of 4 buttons in the songs maes it much more challenging and so the replay value and desire to keep playing til you master it instantly rockets up. Hard and Expert both add the 5th button into the mix, plus there are more notes to hit in each song as the level of difficulty goes up, and they scroll faster too. I call this the "easy level blues" because you play on easy and are kinda like "eh, its good but not amazing" but like I said, move up to the other three levels and it becomes amazing, you have a sense or reason for playing, since you now earn $ for your performances, the amount is based on your star rating for the song (1-5 stars, 5 being the best). Before anyone gets discouraged, you don't HAVE to do easy. In fact, when you start a career you can go right to expert if you want. I definately don;t suggest it, lol but you can. And you can switch between the levels of difficulty anytime you want. It's not liek "beat easy to unlock medium, beat medium to unlock hard" etc etc, all 4 levels are ready to play right away.

IDK man, I could write so many good things about this game that a homeless man could probably collect enough money for a TV, PS2, and the game itself before I was finished raving about it/describing all of the features, lol. You kinda just gotta go buy it and see for yourself. If ya don't like it you can always eBay it, those things are selling left and rght on eBay.