PDA

View Full Version : Who Here Plays In A Band?

Agent51
04-04-2006, 02:16 AM
Besides the obvious answer (Pagan, lol) who else plays in a band, or even an instrument? If you are in a band, whats your band name and what is your role?

I play in 2 bands.

My major band (6 years running) is a punk band called Substance Misuse. I play lead guitar and backing vocals. We have a singer, lead guitar (me), rhythm guitar, bass, and drums. We play punk that sounds liek Pennywise, Offspirng, Bad Religion, older Green Day, just fast punk that is good to skate to (even though we are all surfers, not skaters, lol). You can actually understand our words, not like those "screaming" punk bands where you have no clue what they are saying and we sing about some political/world stuff and life stuff, not whiny love and relationship crap like "emo" bands. We aren't your normal "3 power chord" punk though, we have a bunch of riffs and solos in our songs. I guess the best comparison to our guitar sound would be a band called Strung Out, they are a good band so for anyone who likes punk and hasn't heard of them check em out, very fast paced and "riffy", although their lyrical style is different than ours. We also like to cover songs not many punk bands touch. A lot of em do the same stuff, either covering a famous punk songs like something by Black Flag or someone or doing your run-of-the-mil "we're not gonna take it" and such. We like to cover stuff like Rolling Stones, AC/DC, Guns N Roses, Led Zeppelin, Motley Crue, etc etc. We ALWAYS cover The Misfits "Astro Zombies" though, that song kicks ***.

My other band is called Guns After Dark and it is pretty much a semi-serious spoof band that covers 80s rock and we dress the part when we play live shows (I dress like my IDOL SLash, lol). We cover all the big hits from then, both "hair" metal and stuff like AC/DC and Metallica, basically just anything Rock. Last year on april fools day we opened for ourselves, lol. Like, Guns after Dark opened for Substance Misuse. The drummer and rhythm guitarist from Susbtance Misuse are also in Guns After Dark with me, so that was a BRUTAL set for us (I bet Pagan could tell you that 2 sets in a row would be friggin' harsh). We did it as a joke, to see if any of the people who didn't know of us already would be able to figure out that 3 of the people are in both bands (it's hard to tell when we are fully done up "80s style" lol) except we, stupidly, put ourselves as the 2nd opener. There was one band before us, then Guns After Dark, then Substance Misuse, so me, the other guitarist, and the drummer all basically played two sets in a row with only a 20 minute break in between. We thought 20 mins would be OK, but it wasn't, it SUCKED and I almost blew the 2nd solo to our "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" cover (cover of the GNR version, not Claptopn or Dylan version) because my hand suddenly cramped up BAD, which would have SUCKED because it was the last song in our encore and a tribute to our friend who had just passed away a few weeks before. Ever since he passed the cover of that song has been the last song in out encore for every single show we have ever played.

d-day
04-04-2006, 02:25 AM
used to for quite awhile - guitarist - started playing out when i was 16 but am currently "retired" - the band still is going strong though - did the last creed/sevendust tour and a cd produced by scott weiland - they're in the studio right now as we speak...

darkmistress
04-04-2006, 02:27 AM
I've played in 2 bands neither of which went anywhere further than writing the music...

My first band was called Pathology in which I played guitar and did lead vocals. I don't really know what type of music it was but I suppose it'd fit somewhere in to pop rock :confused2

My second band was called Amaranthea and we were a romantic gothic type band. I played the guitar piano and tinkered with backup and lead vocals. My cousin who played the drums moved on to another band called Dessant (heavy/death metal) which is doing really well for it's age. They have an all expenses paid tour in Japan coming up at the end of the year.

dolfan72734me
04-04-2006, 02:40 AM
I can't play any musical instruments, but I can play the heck out of my steering wheel.:lol:

Maynard the Hammer
04-04-2006, 02:42 AM
used to for quite awhile - guitarist - started playing out when i was 16 but am currently "retired" - the band still is going strong though - did the last creed/sevendust tour and a cd produced by scott weiland - they're in the studio right now as we speak...are you kicking yourself?

i have been in 3 bands and am currently in one now. i started off on guitar and am currently playing bass in the new band, but i write the majority of the songs on guitar and then go back to play on the bass.

my talent is not my dexterity and wont wow anyone with my skills, which are average. my talent is in the writing, so im more creative than skilled.

i am self taught like most and i dont learn the songs of others. i do so to keep my songs original

i am strictly a rhythm player on guitar and dont slap on the bass.

my influences are tool (obviously), soundgarden, filter, and led zep under all that.

darkmistress
04-04-2006, 03:00 AM
are you kicking yourself?

i have been in 3 bands and am currently in one now. i started off on guitar and am currently playing bass in the new band, but i write the majority of the songs on guitar and then go back to play on the bass.

my talent is not my dexterity and wont wow anyone with my skills, which are average. my talent is in the writing, so im more creative than skilled.

i am self taught like most and i dont learn the songs of others. i do so to keep my songs original

my influences are tool (obviously), soundgarden, filter, and led zep under all that.

me too, except for the bass... I've never had to play bass.

Maynard the Hammer
04-04-2006, 03:08 AM
me too, except for the bass... I've never had to play bass.too bad you are in sydney, we need a vocalist. i would love to have a girl singer.

bass is much different approach. im trying to find a niche where i can do my thing and yet not draw attention to myself. a good friend of mine is an awesome bass player, so he taught me a few tricks. i think its a smoother transition for someone who is rhythm-minded like me

d-day
04-04-2006, 03:16 AM
are you kicking yourself?

sometimes, but you don't have to be a rock star to live like one :dday: - you are actually better off being a better writer than player anyday/anyway - it's music that's whats important, not individual playing...

Maynard the Hammer
04-04-2006, 03:22 AM
well said d

Buddwalk
04-04-2006, 02:12 PM
I Buddwalk play in a band

Name of the band is Asylum, I'm the lead guitarist and right now were just fooling with covers and a couple songs were making. Im hoping to get something decent that I made my own out by christmas :wink:

Our main influences are anything from the 60s-70s-80s-and Early 90s :buddwalk:

In_Flames
04-04-2006, 03:07 PM
not currently playing in one, but have been in several different bands throughout my teenage years through my early 20's..I play guitar and bass...my last band was called Suffer Hereafter (Metal) now broken up, but you can check out a couple songs if you get bored... http://www.myspace.com/sufferhereafter

TotoreMexico
04-04-2006, 03:17 PM
I've played the drums in 3 bands, but now I don't have too much free time to be part of one:boohoo:

In_Flames
04-04-2006, 03:20 PM
but now I don't have too much free time to be part of one:boohoo:

I hear that, between the wife and work I have no spare time for the touring, or the funds for the recording sessions...:rolleyes2 but I still continue to write, and maybe one day I may jump back into that world...

Pagan
04-04-2006, 03:38 PM
I'll chime in for the hell of it. :lol:

~ Still playing bass in Livesay.
~ Possibly recording the bass on a CD for a band called Shadow Image.
~ Flying down to Houston to record the bass for a band called Tombztone.
~ In the process of forming a Queensryche tribute band called Child of Fire.

I hear that, between the wife and work I have no spare time for the touring, or the funds for the recording sessions...:rolleyes2 but I still continue to write, and maybe one day I may jump back into that world...
C'mon bro, jump back in it. I have a wife and a job also. If you love it, make the time. I'm sure your wife would understand, and most importantly...support that!

Muck
04-04-2006, 06:59 PM
I play in a band called Standpoint. It's a tribute band. Right now it's kind of a Nine Inch Nails kinda vibe. There are no other members outside myself. We really haven't toured much or written any original music, ever. We have recorded some, but not in awhile. We mostly just stick to my apartment.

When I'm in NYC, I sit in with a little cover band called the Rubber Souls. :)

Buddwalk
04-04-2006, 07:23 PM
I play in a band called Standpoint. It's a tribute band. Right now it's kind of a Nine Inch Nails kinda vibe. There are no other members outside myself. We really haven't toured much or written any original music, ever. We have recorded some, but not in awhile. We mostly just stick to my apartment.

When I'm in NYC, I sit in with a little cover band called the Rubber Souls. :)

play alot of metallica covers? :dday:

SCall13
04-04-2006, 07:41 PM
Used to play rythm guitar in several bands. Also was the lead singer. I've thought about starting another band, but I don't really have the time necassary to put into it. In the past, I was in rock bands. If I were to start one now, it would probably be country.

The Rev
04-04-2006, 08:29 PM
Play acoustic electric guitar in church (duh). Tried to cover some U2 songs in church but they wouuldn't let me. Basically play mostly Christian rock (Third Day, Casting Crrowns). Wish we could do some Switchfoot but it might blow the sound system. :dday: