PDA

View Full Version : Concern I have with Xbox 360 Live

Dolfan11
04-04-2006, 11:01 AM
If you all play Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, you're well aware that they just came out with an update to add armor to your horse. Only catch is that it's $2.50 to download the update. Why?:confused: After paying $60 for the game, and (depending on how you do it) paying $50 for a 12 month subscription to Live; do we have to pay an extra $2.50 (or 200 Microsoft points) for a graphical add on to a game that will have (in my case) no value when you beat it.

Now comes to future games. Will we be expected to pay for the updated rosters for titles such as Madden, NBA 2K, NBA Live, MLB 2K? I personally think this is obsurd. Next thing you know they will be charging $5.00 for an update on the armor your character can wear. Seriously, gamers have dished out enough money on the game, online capabilities, and the system itself. Why not include all this content for free? MMORPG's on PC's aren't charging for updates, and this isn't an MMORPG!!!!!!!:fire: (unless it's an expansion, granted we also pay a monthly fee to play Live).

Thoughts, and will you be purchasing this $2.50 update to add armor to your horse?

UltraDol-Fan
04-04-2006, 01:44 PM
not me, I agree with you. I think this is a way for microsoft so see if people are willing to pay a small fee for an update. IMO if enouph people do this then they will start charging for every update, which is ridiculous.

Majpain
04-04-2006, 04:20 PM
PS3=Free online

Revo=free online

360=monthly pay :shakeno:

Deus Ex Dolphin
04-04-2006, 05:51 PM
Who is charging for this? Bethesda? Or MS? Obviously Bethesda is. MS set up Xbox Live so developers could add items or levels to games, and each company decides whether to charge or not.

I agree that for a minor item, like horse armor, it should be free. If they added a bunch of new quests I could see charging, but this seems like gouging to me. I won't buy it, but yeah, I think they are testing to see what people will buy.

BTW, Majpain? You do know that Silver level Xbox Live is FREE, right?

Majpain
04-04-2006, 06:10 PM
Who is charging for this? Bethesda? Or MS? Obviously Bethesda is. MS set up Xbox Live so developers could add items or levels to games, and each company decides whether to charge or not.

I agree that for a minor item, like horse armor, it should be free. If they added a bunch of new quests I could see charging, but this seems like gouging to me. I won't buy it, but yeah, I think they are testing to see what people will buy.

Lol I wouldnt know I dont own a xbox I was just saying there is a monthly fee

Dolfan11
04-04-2006, 11:36 PM

Silver does not = Online Multiplayer play. You need to upgrade to Gold for that.

mor911
04-05-2006, 09:48 AM
I've been dying to come back to comment on this.

I love Bethesda as a developer. Morrowind and Oblivion are two of my all time favorite RPGs. But this is crap. I hope nobody buy this thing, because they are testing the waters. You can't blame Microsoft for this. I don't know why, but people LOVE blaming Microsoft for 3rd party developers screw ups (see Madden 360).

The truth is, if this thing sells well, then all developers will try to do something similar... REGARDLESS OF THE CONSOLE. If EA realizes that people will pay $2.00 for new uniforms on Madden 2007, they will do it for PS3, 360, and Revolution... If there's no streamlines Marketplace-esc interface on PS3 and Revolution... They'll make a way for people to do it online. Stop acting like this is a Microsoft-only issue.

And also... To compare Xbox Live to two online platforms that aren't even out yet is completely ridiculous. Right now I pay $50 per year to have Xbox live. That comes out to $4.16 per month... Less than a Value Meal at McDonalds. It's very much worth the features it comes with. I like my Xbox live online play 10 times over my PS2's (create a new login for everygame and have developers host half dead game servers) approach. I'm not saying the PS3's online capabilities will be less than Xbox live... I'm just saying that it's ignorant to pass judgement on something that's non-existant to something that is very much working and works well. :D

dQbell
04-06-2006, 09:36 PM
I've been dying to come back to comment on this.

I love Bethesda as a developer. Morrowind and Oblivion are two of my all time favorite RPGs. But this is crap. I hope nobody buy this thing, because they are testing the waters. You can't blame Microsoft for this. I don't know why, but people LOVE blaming Microsoft for 3rd party developers screw ups (see Madden 360).

The truth is, if this thing sells well, then all developers will try to do something similar... REGARDLESS OF THE CONSOLE. If EA realizes that people will pay $2.00 for new uniforms on Madden 2007, they will do it for PS3, 360, and Revolution... If there's no streamlines Marketplace-esc interface on PS3 and Revolution... They'll make a way for people to do it online. Stop acting like this is a Microsoft-only issue.

And also... To compare Xbox Live to two online platforms that aren't even out yet is completely ridiculous. Right now I pay $50 per year to have Xbox live. That comes out to $4.16 per month... Less than a Value Meal at McDonalds. It's very much worth the features it comes with. I like my Xbox live online play 10 times over my PS2's (create a new login for everygame and have developers host half dead game servers) approach. I'm not saying the PS3's online capabilities will be less than Xbox live... I'm just saying that it's ignorant to pass judgement on something that's non-existant to something that is very much working and works well. :D

Agreed. Xbox Live is now the core of what is Xbox. When Sony and Nintendo were dragiing there feet, Microsoft was perfecting online gaming. The Dreamcast (moment of silence) pionered online gaming, and MS perfected it. And as they have said it's the tip of the iceburg.

UltraDol-Fan
04-07-2006, 09:26 AM
I'm not sure Microsoft isn't to blame a little bit here since you are not paying for horse armor with cash. You have to purchase the credits from microsoft, and I'm sure they don't give Bethesda the full price when reimbursing...

mor911
04-07-2006, 09:32 AM
I'm not sure Microsoft isn't to blame a little bit here since you are not paying for horse armor with cash. You have to purchase the credits from microsoft, and I'm sure they don't give Bethesda the full price when reimbursing...
Microsoft isn't in the clear. They gave developers an easy way to do this. I'm sure they get their cut too.

Phin-o-rama
04-07-2006, 09:51 AM
Microsoft isn't in the clear. They gave developers an easy way to do this. I'm sure they get their cut too.

roger that shirley..... when the ps3 comes out if it is leagues ahead of the 360 in terms of performance then i will get that...if they are fairly similar i assume by that time 360 will have lowered their prices and ill snag a 360.

things i want my ps3/360 to have:

Wireless internet
2 wireless controllers
hd cabling
dolby digital 5.1
hd-dvd/blueray capability (might as well)

dQbell
04-07-2006, 11:02 AM
Of course MS isn't in the clear. This is a for profit operation. They obviously spoke with developers about how they will be able to add content etc. But, don't go thinking that the PS3 and Rev. will not be looking for profit also. This isn't a charity business. What's important to me is how well done the interface of getting your console online is. You can't be very negative about what is Xbox Live.

mor911
04-07-2006, 11:27 AM
Of course MS isn't in the clear. This is a for profit operation. They obviously spoke with developers about how they will be able to add content etc. But, don't go thinking that the PS3 and Rev. will not be looking for profit also. This isn't a charity business. What's important to me is how well done the interface of getting your console online is. You can't be very negative about what is Xbox Live. The only negative shot people have to take at XBL is that it isn't free... Well worth it IMO.

PhinsPhan
04-08-2006, 04:55 AM
PS3=Free online

Revo=free online

360=monthly pay :shakeno:
:sidelol:

I will wait till the PS3 comes out to actually see that. Besides I have subscribed to XBL for 3 years and I have no regrets about it.

However, if they do make roster updates from EA cost money I am going to be furious.

dQbell
04-08-2006, 11:44 PM
:sidelol:

I will wait till the PS3 comes out to actually see that. Besides I have subscribed to XBL for 3 years and I have no regrets about it.

However, if they do make roster updates from EA cost money I am going to be furious.

I don't see how they could because it's so automatic when you sign in to the EA server. Unless they have the roster update seperate for paying people. Something like "Enable Roster Updates?" "Roster Updates are 100 pts"

It's EA, so we may see that.

VanDolPhan
04-09-2006, 03:16 PM
I don't have my 360 yet but don't you get points simply by meeting goals in various games. My cousin has his 360 and he was talking about how he has over 1000 points just from playing the games. I don't think $2.50 is a straight up $2.50 here.

dQbell
04-09-2006, 05:02 PM
I don't have my 360 yet but don't you get points simply by meeting goals in various games. My cousin has his 360 and he was talking about how he has over 1000 points just from playing the games. I don't think $2.50 is a straight up $2.50 here.

Yes, that is true.

Dolfan11
04-09-2006, 08:48 PM
No. If I am correct, you get points called "Acheivement Points," which you get from completing various tasks in different games. The only thing these points to is add to your "Gamer Score," and (like i said) if I'm not mistaken, these points are not considered Microsoft points (which is what you need to purchase content).

On another note, I am really getting ticked off with this update sh!t on 360. According to this article, the first update for Oblivion is due within a week, and it's going to cost around $1.88. This patch/update will fix various bug issues, add new towers, provide new quests. That sounds great, and worth the $1.88. My question is then; why the f@ck would they charge $2.50 for armor on your horse, and charge less for more content?:fire:

Link below

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/700/700654p1.html

finsrule84
04-09-2006, 09:07 PM
i believe they said the later realized 2.50 was too much for a patch and decided to lower the price.

BTW while were on the subject of xbox live fees, i was wondering if you could just pay for xbox live online each month instead of having to buy a card for 50 bucks

Dolfan11
04-10-2006, 11:49 AM
i believe they said the later realized 2.50 was too much for a patch and decided to lower the price.

BTW while were on the subject of xbox live fees, i was wondering if you could just pay for xbox live online each month instead of having to buy a card for 50 bucks

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can.

mor911
04-10-2006, 02:05 PM
People, I just wanted to clear something up....

The game patch (that fixes bugs and issues) wil be FREE! The $2.50 is for the stupid horse armor.

Dolfan11
04-10-2006, 05:04 PM
People, I just wanted to clear something up....

The game patch (that fixes bugs and issues) wil be FREE! The $2.50 is for the stupid horse armor.

mor911, where did you read that, if you don't mind me asking? The only article I've come across that mentions the first upcoming update for Oblivion is here http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/700/700654p1.html

If it's free even better, but I here ya on the horse armor.

UltraDol-Fan
04-10-2006, 05:38 PM
No. If I am correct, you get points called "Acheivement Points," which you get from completing various tasks in different games. The only thing these points to is add to your "Gamer Score," and (like i said) if I'm not mistaken, these points are not considered Microsoft points (which is what you need to purchase content).

You're right. You get achievement points for doing stuff in games, they are worth nothing and only contribute to your gamer score. You have to purchase market place credits to buy online content.

mor911
04-10-2006, 07:05 PM
The new "mods" they are charging for and the patches to fix bugs are two seperate issues. A lot of people mis-read it thinking they were going to charge for patches.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=15987

finsrule84
04-10-2006, 09:36 PM
that's cool, especially since i just got my copy of Oblivion today:rawk: :rawk: