PDA

View Full Version : Memory question

Dajesus
03-07-2003, 02:45 AM
My new hobby is learning as much as i possibly can about computers. As I said in another post I just baught a compaq, and I have some questions about a memory upgrade if anyone can help me out. It came with 256mb stick ddr 2100 and has a 1 gig potential. I am going to add a 512mb stick. I have heard mixed things about what to expect after the upgrade. Some say my comp will just be faster all around, but others say it will just let me run more programs at the same time with no downgrade in speed. The other question is about ddr 2100. First off all ddr 2100 will run at 266mhz is that correct? The other question is i have noticed that some sticks of ddr 2100 say 32x64 while some say 64x64 and there are some that don't say anything like that what does the 32x64 and 64x64 mean, and what does it mean if it doesn't mention that? Also i know mem clocks down to the slowest one you have in the comp so if the one that came with the comp is 32x64 will it matter if i get 64x64? Thanks ofr any help guys.

Kamikaze
03-07-2003, 02:58 AM
Okay, I'm gonna try to answer this the best I can. First, PC2100 = 266MHz, PC2700 = 333MHz, PC3200 = 400MHz. I'm assuming your procecssor runs with a 266MHz FSB, so going higher than PC2100 with your RAM would be a waste. Also, it is best to make sure your sticks of RAM are IDENTICAL. This will save you many headaches later on, and you'll be assured you won't run into any memory problems. I have two Crucial 256MB PC2100 sticks and they work great.

Memory CAN speed up your system if say your processor's FSB is 333MHz, and you upgrade to PC2700 from PC2100. Usually though you'll find you will be able to run more applications at the same time, and that your programs will load faster due to there being so much memory available to be used.

As for the 32x64 and 64x64 question, you other guys can help me out. I believe it just refers to the memory chips themselves and how they're arranged, but as I said I would never risk mixing two different memory sticks together.

You might also run into turns like unbuffered, ECC, CL = 2.5. For your sake make sure you get CL=2.5 • Unbuffered • Non-parity • 2.5V. ECC and buffered memory are mostly used on servers, and you have no need for that kind of (more expensive) memory.

Dajesus
03-07-2003, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by chicagodolphan
Okay, I'm gonna try to answer this the best I can. First, PC2100 = 266MHz, PC2700 = 333MHz, PC3200 = 400MHz. I'm assuming your procecssor runs with a 266MHz FSB, so going higher than PC2100 with your RAM would be a waste. Also, it is best to make sure your sticks of RAM are IDENTICAL. This will save you many headaches later on, and you'll be assured you won't run into any memory problems. I have two Crucial 256MB PC2100 sticks and they work great.

Memory CAN speed up your system if say your processor's FSB is 333MHz, and you upgrade to PC2700 from PC2100. Usually though you'll find you will be able to run more applications at the same time, and that your programs will load faster due to there being so much memory available to be used.

As for the 32x64 and 64x64 question, you other guys can help me out. I believe it just refers to the memory chips themselves and how they're arranged, but as I said I would never risk mixing two different memory sticks together.

You might also run into turns like unbuffered, ECC, CL = 2.5. For your sake make sure you get CL=2.5 • Unbuffered • Non-parity • 2.5V. ECC and buffered memory are mostly used on servers, and you have no need for that kind of (more expensive) memory.

Yeah the MBs and processor's capacity is 266, so I can't go over 2100. When you say identical you are just referring to the ddr speed right? Should i buy the same brand name that is already in the comp when i get the 512 stick?

Kamikaze
03-07-2003, 03:12 AM
Yeah, nothing wrong with throwing a 512 stick in with a 256, so long as they are the same speed. I would stick with the same brand name too. Just make sure you get a major brand like Crucial or Corsair. Cheap, generic, house brand memory has a reputation of failure, and should be generally avoided.

Muck
03-07-2003, 03:24 AM
The "32x64" etc. refers to the density of the chips on the stick of memory. The larger/faster the memory, the higher the number you'll see (64x64..etc).

Dajesus
03-07-2003, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by Muck
The "32x64" etc. refers to the density of the chips on the stick of memory. The larger/faster the memory, the higher the number you'll see (64x64..etc).

i am not sure what is in the comp right now, but would it matter if the 2 sticks weren't the same in that aspect?