PDA

View Full Version : A Riddle

Jt0323
04-05-2006, 03:43 PM
Ok here is one of my favorite riddles that my dad told me a long time ago and im sure you all heard it but if you did dont spoil it yet.

ok. Your in Prison. Their are 2 doors. One door leads to Freedom and the Other leads to the gas chamber were you will die. Their are two guards, one in front of each door. One of the two guards always tells the truth. The Other guard always lies. You are able to ask the guard only ONE question before you pick the door you want to exit. What is the one question you can ask to find out which which doors leads to freedom?

Also don't use google to find the answer

RWhitney014
04-05-2006, 04:10 PM
How many variations of this riddle are there?

I think the answer is something like "which of you always lies" in some way...but that's not totally it.

305TillIDie
04-05-2006, 04:24 PM
you ask him ''hey sir, can i get a sandwich at the house and come back later'':lol:

Buddwalk
04-05-2006, 04:26 PM
ask him which door leads to death :dunno:

305TillIDie
04-05-2006, 04:27 PM
i have no idea...

FinaciousOne
04-05-2006, 04:27 PM

I think the answer is something like "which of you always lies" in some way...but that's not totally it.
That wouldn't tell you which door led to freedom.

There are many variations. In this case, I assume you want 1 question which both guards will answer. Since the question needs to reveal which door, the subject of the question needs to be "Is Door A the door to Freedom?". This simple question, though doesn't differentiate. For example suppose Door A is Freedom. The Liar would say "No" and the Truthful would say "Yes". The opposite would be the result if Door A were Death.
Therefore to get a meaningful answer we need to ask "What will your companion guard answer to the question, is door A the door to Freedom?"

If door A is in fact the door to Freedom the Liar would normally say "No" and the Truthteller would say "Yes", but now that you've asked for each to give the other's answer, the Liar will still lie and say "No" and the truthteller will also answer "No". So if their answers are both "No" then Door A is Freedom.

If door A is in fact Death, the Liar would normally say "Yes" and the truthteller would normally say "No", but now that you've asked for each to give the other's answer, the Liar will still lie and say "Yes" and the truthteller will also answer "Yes". So if their answers are both "Yes" then Door A is not Freedom.

Jt0323
04-05-2006, 04:30 PM

yeah, i went with this one because thats the one my dad told me

ask him which door leads to death :dunno:
nope, if the guy who lie then your screwed,

J dog
04-05-2006, 04:32 PM
ooooooooooo:dolphins:

Pagan
04-05-2006, 04:41 PM
Apparently, someone watched the movie "Labyrinth", because there was a scene in the movie JUST like this scenerio. :wink:

Jt0323
04-05-2006, 04:43 PM
Apparently, someone watched the movie "Labyrinth", because there was a scene in the movie JUST like this scenerio. :wink:
lol, nope...the reason i posted this was in study hall someone told me a riddle so i told her this one but she did not get it

Pagan
04-05-2006, 04:45 PM
lol, nope...the reason i posted this was in study hall someone told me a riddle so i told her this one but she did not get it
You have to watch the movie bro...same thing happens in it.

Funny scene too! :lol:

Spray Mucus
04-05-2006, 05:36 PM
so do you get 1 question to ask each guards? or 1 question to ask only one gaurd?

if your only allowed one question to one guard. I'm asking who the Dolphins select with the #16 pick in the upcoming draft.

Alex44
04-05-2006, 05:41 PM
You have to watch the movie bro...same thing happens in it.

Funny scene too! :lol:

Yeah except she asks them both multiple questions in her scenario its easier

You simply ask one 'What color are my eyes' or something simple if he lies you know he is the liar and ask the other which is the correct door

with only 1 question its harder

darkmistress
04-05-2006, 05:51 PM

Labyrinth :hump:

(looks for d-day and gonzo, [gonzo and d-day]) puppets :hump:

spydertl79
04-05-2006, 08:50 PM
Ask the guard to walk through one of the doors.

Jt0323
04-05-2006, 08:51 PM
Ask the guard to walk through one of the doors.
nope, but i like the thinking outside the box!

SCall13
04-05-2006, 09:02 PM
You would ask, If I ask the other guard, where would he tell me the door is for freedom. Then go to the opposite door.

If you ask the guy who tells the truth that question, he will tell you what the liar would say, so you know it would be the other door. IF you ask the liar, he is going to tell you the opposite door that the honest guard would tell you. So, you would know the door no matter which you ask.

That right?

GRAPEAPE
04-05-2006, 10:19 PM
Well If No=No for the truthful one
and yes = no for the liar

Ask either one if they are guarding the door that leads to freedom. If the Liar says yes then go out the other door, if he says no then go out that door. If the truthful one says yes your home free.

Or you could ask what the other one would say.

Rocky Raccoon
04-05-2006, 10:21 PM
Well If No=No for the truthful one
and yes = no for the liar

Ask either one if they are guarding the door that leads to freedom. If the Liar says yes then go out the other door, if he says yes then go out that door. If the truthful one says yes your home free.

Or you could ask what the other one would say.

but I think the point is that you don't know which guard is the liar...and which one is the honest one.

Jt0323
04-05-2006, 10:21 PM
You would ask, If I ask the other guard, where would he tell me the door is for freedom. Then go to the opposite door.

If you ask the guy who tells the truth that question, he will tell you what the liar would say, so you know it would be the other door. IF you ask the liar, he is going to tell you the opposite door that the honest guard would tell you. So, you would know the door no matter which you ask.

That right?
yep!!

Roman529
04-05-2006, 10:44 PM
Damn, these are the kind of questions they asked on my LSAT test....my head hurts now. :D

SCall13
04-06-2006, 01:08 AM
yep!!

YAY!!

HysterikiLL
04-06-2006, 01:14 AM
I just googled 'freedom prison riddle' and got like 1,000 answers to this. :lol:

FinaciousOne
04-06-2006, 01:19 AM
I just googled 'freedom prison riddle' and got like 1,000 answers to this. :lol:

Maybe the guards would've let us use their computer.:D

SCall13
04-06-2006, 07:00 AM
We need to make a riddle thread. I have a few. I will post them later.

Spray Mucus
04-06-2006, 10:34 AM
YAY!!

:clap:

Agent51
04-06-2006, 05:29 PM

That movie is AWESOME, although not sure why it is classified as a "children's" movie since that movie would scare the crap out of most kids. David Bowie is awesome though, :cooldude: