PDA

View Full Version : Flesh-Eating Bacteria

Agent51
04-07-2006, 12:46 AM
http://www.surfline.com/surfnews/article.cfm?id=2262

That stuff is BRUTAL, wow. Hawai'i is falling apart. That makes a deadly landslide, 42 days straight of super heavy rain, flooding, a shark attack, a TORNADO, and now this :shakeno: :boohoo:. I still love it here though :D

Perfect23
04-07-2006, 12:49 AM
that sucks.:rolleyes:

In_Flames
04-07-2006, 12:51 AM
yet another reason not to go into the ocean, if drowning and sharks weren't already enough...:shakeno:

I also hate sand in the crack...

Maynard the Hammer
04-07-2006, 01:03 AM
i wonder if effected hansmojo. hope not

ChrisKo
04-07-2006, 01:54 AM
After watching those videos earlier this week, I'd watch out for those octopi as well.

Agent51
04-07-2006, 01:55 AM

I think he survived all the natural disasters. I actually made a thread last week or something like that asking where he was and he responded. He hasn't posted in awhile because his grandfather passed away.

Maynard the Hammer
04-07-2006, 01:57 AM
I think he survived all the natural disasters. I actually made a thread last week or something like that asking where he was and he responded. He hasn't posted in awhile because his grandfather passed away.jeez...one tragedy for another. at least he is safe

ChrisKo
04-07-2006, 01:58 AM
Agent, you need to hook me up with a place to stay so I can see where I was born. I was of course born on Honolulu, Hickam AFB and that explains why I never saw the island. Dad ended up getting stationed back on the mainland shortly after I was born. I got to trade Honolulu for Biloxi Mississippi, lucky me.

Agent51
04-07-2006, 02:18 AM
Agent, you need to hook me up with a place to stay so I can see where I was born. I was of course born on Honolulu, Hickam AFB and that explains why I never saw the island. Dad ended up getting stationed back on the mainland shortly after I was born. I got to trade Honolulu for Biloxi Mississippi, lucky me.

OUCH, Hawai'i to Mississippi, damn. At least you weren't old enough to know what you were missing :wink:. I'd be glad to give ya a place to crash and show ya around dude, there are only two problems, lol.

1: I travel a lot for surfing, both for business (photo/video shoots for my sponsors) and pleasure, so you'd have to catch me in between those times and complicating that even MORE would be....

2: I live in California from May-ish to October-ish, lol.

If you could catch me in between all that stuff I'd be glad to give ya a place to crash and show you everything. If I knew you I'd let ya stay at my place even while I was traveling or when I was in cali for the summer, but unfortunately I don't know you, so that is kinda out of the question, lol.

Miamian
04-07-2006, 07:18 AM
Not good. This is what happens when you have irresponsible, cost-cutting environmental management.

BTW, I once saw a program that theorized that this bacteria is what caused the Nile to become contaminated with blood and start the 10 plagues.

Motion
04-07-2006, 07:58 AM
*reschedules vacation*

WharfRat
04-07-2006, 09:06 AM
Geez..

when I first read the thread title, I thought you were talking about my ex-wife... :goof:

Mindwarp
04-07-2006, 09:12 AM
Geez..

when I first read the thread title, I thought you were talking about my ex-wife... :goof:
:spit: :roflmao:

Coral Reefer
04-07-2006, 10:38 AM
http://www.surfline.com/surfnews/article.cfm?id=2262

That stuff is BRUTAL, wow. Hawai'i is falling apart. That makes a deadly landslide, 42 days straight of super heavy rain, flooding, a shark attack, a TORNADO, and now this :shakeno: :boohoo:. I still love it here though :D

That's a crime man! :shakeno:

Despite all the ploys that govt. officials and big business try and pull on us to make us believe pollution isn't a problem, the truth is all around us every day!

There isn't anywhere that is immune to destruction by us, not even a paradise like Hawaii. Sad, Sad, Sad.

HansMojo
04-08-2006, 03:08 AM
Thankfully it really didn't. My tomato plants are a little yellow from too much water, but that's about the extent of the damage to my personal property. We're very blessed to live close enough to the beach that when you dig down about 2 inches you hit pure sand which drains beautifully. It sucks when you want to plant something since you have to dig a giant hole and fill it with soil...but it was nice to find out that it would take more than 42 days of heavy rain to flood our neighborhood. I will never complain about living on sand again. Sadly many people on the island were not near as fortunate. There was a lot of damage. And the sewage problem was on the other side of the mountains so we didn't have to suffer through that either. What a disaster that was. No one that I've spoken to can ever remember weather this bad around here. We usually have a very very mild climate. Thankfully the last couple days were really nice though. It felt good to see and feel the sun again.

Agent51
04-08-2006, 03:14 AM
Thankfully it really didn't. My tomato plants are a little yellow from too much water, but that's about the extent of the damage to my personal property. We're very blessed to live close enough to the beach that when you dig down about 2 inches you hit pure sand which drains beautifully. It sucks when you want to plant something since you have to dig a giant hole and fill it with soil...but it was nice to find out that it would take more than 42 days of heavy rain to flood our neighborhood. I will never complain about living on sand again. Sadly many people on the island were not near as fortunate. There was a lot of damage. And the sewage problem was on the other side of the mountains so we didn't have to suffer through that either. What a disaster that was. No one that I've spoken to can ever remember weather this bad around here. We usually have a very very mild climate. Thankfully the last couple days were really nice though. It felt good to see and feel the sun again.

I've been living here for 4 years and visiting for about 10 and I have NEVER seen weather even close to this. You have the normal downpour-turns-to-sun-5-minutes-later stuff but this was absolutely INSANE. It really effected the tourism too. I feel SO bad for people who saved up YEARS to come out here, or come out for their honeymoon or something and had to deal with that. If they have been before then it wasn't AS bad, but for first-timers it was kinda hard to get that "magical" feeling you get the first time you come here if the world's most famous beach is closed and it's downpouring all day and flooding and the water looks brown or dark green instead of it's normal crystal blue/turquoise color.

HansMojo
04-08-2006, 03:24 AM
I've been living here for 4 years and visiting for about 10 and I have NEVER seen weather even close to this. You have the normal downpour-turns-to-sun-5-minutes-later stuff but this was absolutely INSANE. It really effected the tourism too. I feel SO bad for people who saved up YEARS to come out here, or come out for their honeymoon or something and had to deal with that. If they have been before then it wasn't AS bad, but for first-timers it was kinda hard to get that "magical" feeling you get the first time you come here if the world's most famous beach is closed and it's downpouring all day and flooding and the water looks brown or dark green instead of it's normal crystal blue/turquoise color.
Yeah, it really sucked. We had two sets of friends here during that time and we just kept apologizing to them. Luckily they'd both been here before. We got like 5 years worth of rain in a little over a month. My car actually got hit by one of the landslides as I was driving to the gym. Scared me to death, but no damage really. Just a dirty car and a heart murmer. :lol:

Agent51
04-08-2006, 04:04 AM
Yeah, it really sucked. We had two sets of friends here during that time and we just kept apologizing to them. Luckily they'd both been here before. We got like 5 years worth of rain in a little over a month. My car actually got hit by one of the landslides as I was driving to the gym. Scared me to death, but no damage really. Just a dirty car and a heart murmer. :lol:

Yea, my friend lives like RIGHT against the mountain in Kaneohe and a whole sheet of the mountain came down. It left like a 3 inch thick layer of mud and wrecked his neighbor's car. He lives in one of those houses that has like the super high and steep driveway too, right off of the "highway" that leads to the North Shore, the neighbor's car almost got pushed over to where the driveway/"front yard" hill begins, which would have been like a 3 story drop.

I had friends come out too, the ones I was asking where good snorkel spots would be for, lol. They got 2 good days of sun, the rest were overcast with scattered showers ranging from light drizzle to quick downpours, and then one day, I think it was a Sunday, of just TORRENTIAL rain for the entire day. It was their first time but at least it wasn't pouring the whole week so they still got to see all the sites and stuff, although they missed Hanauma because we planned on going on Sunday since the weather SAID it was gonna be sunny, but ti changed last minute and we went anyway, thinking it would be empty since it was downpouring, but the ticket lady said it really wasn't worth it cuz the visability was bad. We decided to go Tuesday, because we were doing the Pearl Harbor then North Shore thing Monday, but I completely forgot the bay is CLOSED Tuesdays (what a dumb thing to do, lol) so we couldn't go then, and I was going to take them Wednesday am since their flight didn't leave til like 8pm, except the bay was closed due to Box Jellyfish, lol.

HansMojo
04-08-2006, 04:20 AM
Yea, my friend lives like RIGHT against the mountain in Kaneohe and a whole sheet of the mountain came down. It left like a 3 inch thick layer of mud and wrecked his neighbor's car. He lives in one of those houses that has like the super high and steep driveway too, right off of the "highway" that leads to the North Shore, the neighbor's car almost got pushed over to where the driveway/"front yard" hill begins, which would have been like a 3 story drop.

I had friends come out too, the ones I was asking where good snorkel spots would be for, lol. They got 2 good days of sun, the rest were overcast with scattered showers ranging from light drizzle to quick downpours, and then one day, I think it was a Sunday, of just TORRENTIAL rain for the entire day. It was their first time but at least it wasn't pouring the whole week so they still got to see all the sites and stuff, although they missed Hanauma because we planned on going on Sunday since the weather SAID it was gonna be sunny, but ti changed last minute and we went anyway, thinking it would be empty since it was downpouring, but the ticket lady said it really wasn't worth it cuz the visability was bad. We decided to go Tuesday, because we were doing the Pearl Harbor then North Shore thing Monday, but I completely forgot the bay is CLOSED Tuesdays (what a dumb thing to do, lol) so we couldn't go then, and I was going to take them Wednesday am since their flight didn't leave til like 8pm, except the bay was closed due to Box Jellyfish, lol.Glad they got a couple good days at least. I didn't know it was closed tuesdays. Mahalo for the handy info.

Alex44
04-08-2006, 04:25 AM
I tend not to like flesh eating bacteria....but I love sharks so maybe I will visit Hawaii someday

Agent51
04-08-2006, 04:33 AM
Glad they got a couple good days at least. I didn't know it was closed tuesdays. Mahalo for the handy info.

Neither did I, lol, so I drove there and had to drive right by, haha. Have you ever been to that little cove that is around the corner from Hanauma? Like, you know how you pass it (coming from Waikiki so the bay is on the right) and then you go around the bend and down the big hill and then there is that little lookout and then you drive past that and there is the HUGE lookout, with the big parking lot and there is a blowhole directly in front of you when you walk down the 2 or 3 steps to the little lookout area? I never knoew this before (and I've been to that lookout a few times) but if you go to the right of that area (like you wanna go look BACK the way you just came) there is a path that goes down and there is a little cove/beach down there, and you can walk up the rocks and over to the blowhole itself. I think I have a pic of it:
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/04/10010417og-1.jpg (http://imageshack.us/?x=my6&myref=http://www.imageshack.us/)

It's a nice littl place to hang out.

HansMojo
04-08-2006, 05:17 AM
I tend not to like flesh eating bacteria....but I love sharks so maybe I will visit Hawaii somedayflesh eating bacteria can be good with a little olive oil and some lawrys seasoning salt....but otherwise I try and avoid it myself.

HansMojo
04-08-2006, 05:20 AM
Neither did I, lol, so I drove there and had to drive right by, haha. Have you ever been to that little cove that is around the corner from Hanauma? Like, you know how you pass it (coming from Waikiki so the bay is on the right) and then you go around the bend and down the big hill and then there is that little lookout and then you drive past that and there is the HUGE lookout, with the big parking lot and there is a blowhole directly in front of you when you walk down the 2 or 3 steps to the little lookout area? I never knoew this before (and I've been to that lookout a few times) but if you go to the right of that area (like you wanna go look BACK the way you just came) there is a path that goes down and there is a little cove/beach down there, and you can walk up the rocks and over to the blowhole itself. I think I have a pic of it:
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/4743/10010417og.jpg (http://imageshack.us/?x=my6&myref=http://www.imageshack.us/)

It's a nice littl place to hang out.
Dude, I was just at that look out yesterday! And btw, I've never seen that side of the island so green. Anyway, I've never been down the path, but I've seen people down there. It does look like a nice little private spot and I always say I'll check it out but never have. someday.

Agent51
04-08-2006, 05:20 AM
flesh eating bacteria can be good with a little olive oil and some lawrys seasoning salt....but otherwise I try and avoid it myself.

Yea, and the same thing goes for sharks :lol:

cnc66
04-08-2006, 06:32 AM
I just had a casual friend die from flesh eating bacteria. He got a spider bite on the stomach and it got infected. They simply could not stop it. He knew for a week or more he was going to die by being eaten alive. He was in a band and had many, many friends. 29 years old.

I am VERY familiar with polluted water, I live on the Indian River lagoon, the part that is being assaulted bt bad water managment protecting Big Sugar. Here is a book that will scare the bejeezits out of you if you live on an estuary;
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/04/068483845101_BO2204203200_PIsitbdp500arr-1._bo2,204,203,200_pisitb-dp-500-arrow,topright,45,-

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0684838451/ref=sib_dp_pt/103-8821482-2752661#reader-link

Agent51
04-08-2006, 07:25 AM
I just had a casual friend die from flesh eating bacteria. He got a spider bite on the stomach and it got infected. They simply could not stop it. He knew for a week or more he was going to die by being eaten alive. He was in a band and had many, many friends. 29 years old.

I am VERY familiar with polluted water, I live on the Indian River lagoon, the part that is being assaulted bt bad water managment protecting Big Sugar. Here is a book that will scare the bejeezits out of you if you live on an estuary;
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0684838451.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0684838451/ref=sib_dp_pt/103-8821482-2752661#reader-link

Holy crap man, sorry for your loss. I HATE spiders, I'm borderline arachnophobic (sp?) which isn't too good to be living in Hawai'i, lol. The other day this HUGE light brown spider was on the screen of my kitchen window (OUTSIDE thankfully). I swear to god the thing was the size of my hand spread out, from the tip of my thumb to the tip of my pinkie (coutning it's legs). Was your friend bitten by one of those Brown Recluse spiders? Those things are viscious, I have seen pictures and a discovery channel special on them.

That book looks pretty damn interesting, I think I'll go pick it up today

Miamian
04-09-2006, 11:48 AM
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/4743/10010417og.jpg (http://imageshack.us/?x=my6&myref=http://www.imageshack.us/)

It's a nice littl place to hang out.I was there. It's very pretty.

Miamian
04-09-2006, 11:50 AM

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0684838451.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0684838451/ref=sib_dp_pt/103-8821482-2752661#reader-linkHorrible way to die. What could have been if they would've passed that penny-a-pound tax on sugar that was proposed years ago.

anthony!
04-09-2006, 12:05 PM

My condolences. These are the situations I wish doctor assisted suicide was legal. I couldn't imagine having to live through that.

cnc66
04-09-2006, 12:12 PM
Horrible way to die. What could have been if they would've passed that penny-a-pound tax on sugar that was proposed years ago.

I read they spent 35 million to stop that. They only time I have ever been met at my polling place by a lobbiest was during that election.

Miamian
04-09-2006, 03:00 PM
I read they spent 35 million to stop that. They only time I have ever been met at my polling place by a lobbiest was during that election.
Florida voters don't exactly win prizes for being progressive. How many times has the bottle bill been defeated?