PDA

View Full Version : The Selling of Extra Content in Games

mor911
04-07-2006, 02:26 PM
Here we are, a time where developers sell things to the gamers. Bethesda recently lead the way in this new genre of buying game content with real world money. The Xbox Live Marketplace makes these "Micro Transactions" very easy to do.

In a thread created a few days ago, a lot of gamers thrashed Microsoft for this. I came out and pointed out that if this system works well, expect a whole lot of developers to start doing it regardless of the console they play on. Bethesda again leads the way.

Here, on their forums, Bethesda announces some game add-ons (includes new powes, quests and such) that will be released for both the Xbox 360 and the PC. Yes, they will be charging for the PC add-ons too.

What does this mean? It simply furthers my point that just because Sony and Nintendo's online services may be free, don't think that EA will hesitate to create some in-game screen that will happily take your credit card info to buy some in-game add-on.

The only thing Microsoft is really guilty of in my opinion, is making it too easy for developers to do this. But that's why everyone loves Xbox Live, ease of use.

:mor911:

UltraDol-Fan
04-07-2006, 03:08 PM
I honestly wouldn't mind paying for new quests, as long as they added on hours of gameplay. I'm not talking like a couple little side quests, I mean like a whole new story line. I've been trolling the oblivion forum on Xbox.com, and the kids there don't seem to understant the slippery slope that this can cause. I don't want to be nickel and dimed to death. This could easily lead to developers purposely leaving out parts of games that you would have to download.

Mike13
04-07-2006, 03:16 PM
That would suck if you have to download certain parts of a game's story mode.

nevadadolfan
04-07-2006, 06:56 PM
Its going to be up to the developers on which direction they take this paying for add ons trend. I mean if they can build a good rep of releasing a quality game and them releasing add ons that actually are worth our money then I think its a good idea. But on the other side, if they do actually take out levels and ship games, then sell them later - or something along those lines it will be very bad for us. As for as things like extra armor for your horse or a new color for a characters wardrobe thats cheap to me they should release these things for free just to build a good rep with us fans. Oh and I cant see how Sony and Nintendo can come out with a free online service , and if they do it probably wont be worth a damn!!!! No money coming in to keep it up to date and whatnot.

Majpain
04-08-2006, 12:11 AM
I dont like paying for stuff after I spend 50-60 bucks on a game.Mircrosoft and EA are bloodsuckers.Blizzard will join the gang in the near future.

Dolfan11
04-10-2006, 08:42 PM
I dont like paying for stuff after I spend 50-60 bucks on a game.Mircrosoft and EA are bloodsuckers.Blizzard will join the gang in the near future.

I agree, I don't like it much either. But what choice do you have if you want more? If developers continue to charge for game add ons, the only pro I can see coming out of this is game prices dropping. For example, maybe $50 like they were pre-next gen, and then charge the extra couple $ for the updated content. I mean, if they continue to charge $60 for next gen games plus charge for in game updates; they will realize that the market for charging that much for a video game is ludacris. There simply isn't a market for it, and if there is, it's minimal. Take Oblivion for example, $60 game, $2.50 horse armor, and $2.00 upcoming update. Roughly that's $64.50, and the updates will likely not stop there. By the end of the games run, it could be somewhere around $70 or $75 that you dish out on the game (if you decide to). I have no problem paying for content on games, as long as they drop the retail price on the games themselves, and make the content being purchased reasonablely priced.

TJamesW_phinfan
04-10-2006, 09:26 PM
Blizzard is allready there to a degree. I have an Account for WoW and the server problems and balance issues among other things (like half of one of my characters gold dissapearing and Blizz telling me sorry nothing we can do) are making me feel pretty ripped off for my 15 per month after buying the game. I understand an MMO is about sustained revenue but they have really ticked me off on several issues and I am going to close my account with them. And I believe these issues are going to get worse with the expansion release. I have had an account since beta.

As for the add ons... is this the same as an expansion pack with new areas levels gear etc? I often buy expansion packs to games I enjoy. Or just a few extra things for the current version. I still have not purchsed Oblivion due to limited play time (spent on WoW) and limited budget but going to grab it soon.

Edit: oops just found the other post on this. Not sure how I feel about it yet. I guess as long as the add ons aren't necesary to finish the original game its not too bad.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
04-10-2006, 09:59 PM
one of the reasons i only stick to PC online play.

dQbell
04-11-2006, 12:12 PM
I don't mind paying for "add-on" material. I just finished GRAW and wouldn't mind seeing a possible addition to the story. I was somewhat let down with the ending of GRAW. So, if they could add a little depth with downloadable content, I'd do it.

As The Mor pointed out, it's ease of use. Instead of heading to the store to buy an expansion pack, we might just be able to download it and go from there. Actually, IGN just had an article about how the future will most likely have many people downloading the digital file of the actual game. That's fine by me.

nevadadolfan
04-11-2006, 04:34 PM
I don't mind paying for "add-on" material. I just finished GRAW and wouldn't mind seeing a possible addition to the story. I was somewhat let down with the ending of GRAW. So, if they could add a little depth with downloadable content, I'd do it.

As The Mor pointed out, it's ease of use. Instead of heading to the store to buy an expansion pack, we might just be able to download it and go from there. Actually, IGN just had an article about how the future will most likely have many people downloading the digital file of the actual game. That's fine by me.

As far as this downloading a dig file of the game itself, maybe Im old school or something but I would rather have the copy of the game actually sitting in my hands. Its kinda like music right now, I could buy a whole CD on I tunes or any other music site, but then I dont have a hard copy (unless I burn it onto a CD) and I like having the game boxes and instructions right there in front of me. I just hope they keep both options available to people in the future. And come to think of it, how would that work? Would every console just have to have a huge hard drive? OR am I missing something!!

UltraDol-Fan
04-11-2006, 04:40 PM
As far as this downloading a dig file of the game itself, maybe Im old school or something but I would rather have the copy of the game actually sitting in my hands. ... I just hope they keep both options available to people in the future. And come to think of it, how would that work? Would every console just have to have a huge hard drive? OR am I missing something!!

I hope they keep both options available too. I like to have the case for my collection and the instructions handy, but I would definitelty download games too. It makes it that much cheaper to put out a game for smaller companies. They don't have to ship anything, produce anything, negotiate anything, they can just call up microsoft and say, I've got this game I am trying to sell, can I put it on the Xbox Live Marketplace.

SirDrums
04-11-2006, 04:53 PM
Valve is planing on doing this same thing with Half life 2. They will release 'episodes' via steam that must be payed for and downloaded. the episodes will not cost as much as a expansion pack but with the number they plan on releasing I feel that it will add up to paying more for the same amount of content. Having said that, I also haven't tried it yet and will wait and see until I give my final opinion on it.