PDA

View Full Version : "Casablanca" named greatest movie script

NaboCane
04-07-2006, 06:16 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060407/film_nm/leisure_casablanca_dc_2

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Round up the usual suspects: The Writers Guild of America has named "Casablanca" as No. 1 on its first list of the "101 Greatest Screenplays."

The screenplay for the wartime tale of courage and cynicism starring Humphrey Bogart was written by Howard Koch and brothers Julius and Philip Epstein.

It was followed on the list by the screenplay for "The Godfather," written by Mario Puzo and Francis Ford Coppola; "Chinatown," written by Robert Towne; "Citizen Kane," by Herman Mankiewicz and Orson Welles; and "All About Eve" by Joseph Mankiewicz.

Rounding out the top 10 were 'Annie Hall," by Woody Allen and Marshall Brickman; "Sunset Boulevard" by the writing team of Charles Brackett and Billy Wilder and D.M. Marshman Jr.; Paddy Chayefsky's "Network"; Wilder and I.A.L. Diamond's "Some Like It Hot"; and Coppola and Puzo's "The Godfather Part II."

Three writers -- Allen, Coppola and Wilder -- had four films on the list, while three others had three: William Goldman, John Huston and Charlie Kaufman.

:yes:

HysterikiLL
04-07-2006, 06:28 PM
I've read over 1,000 scripts in my life and Casablanca certainly stands out as the best. Chinatown would also certainly be up there. Personally, I have no idea why they included Network and Some Like It Hot in that top 10, but I guess they know more than me.

Good list, although I'm not a fan of lists in cinema.

WharfRat
04-07-2006, 07:04 PM
Cassablanca has always been #1 in my book!

Well deserved kudos! :up:

Majpain
04-08-2006, 12:07 AM
Is that with the little persons saying thee plane thee plane:confused:.Lol I'm so lost right now

Roman529
04-08-2006, 01:09 AM
The Original Godfather movie, as well as Godfather II were great....my favorite Bogart movie is the Maltese Falcon, but Casablanca was a true classic.

Gonzo
04-08-2006, 01:30 AM
Hard to argue with that, though I think Citizen Kane should be a close second instead of Godfather (which I love, not knocking in any possible way).

ih8brady
04-08-2006, 06:55 AM

Why won't they realize that the lists of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this world?

NaboCane
04-08-2006, 02:29 PM
Why won't they realize that the lists of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this world?

:sidelol: Post of the day!

NaboCane
04-08-2006, 02:36 PM
I've read over 1,000 scripts in my life and Casablanca certainly stands out as the best. Chinatown would also certainly be up there. Personally, I have no idea why they included Network and Some Like It Hot in that top 10, but I guess they know more than me.

Wow, what do you do that has you reading that many scripts?

And yeah, what's up with the whole "Some Like It Hot" thing? I thought it was OK, funny in a dated way, but aside from having Marilyn Monroe in it, it was no great shakes...just a personal opinion.

Now, I'd like to see the whole list of 101, and see how many of the early Marx Brothers scripts, by the likes of George S. Kaufman and S.J. Perelman are in there.

Quelonio
04-09-2006, 09:57 PM
I think they are missing Midnight Cowboy (which script is amazing) and Taxi Driver... Paul Schrader is an amazing scriptwriter...

Pennington's Rocket Arm
04-10-2006, 01:41 AM
good choice. i love citizen kane though. and godfather of course....and the big lebowski! :wink:

Gonzo
04-10-2006, 02:05 AM
good choice. i love citizen kane though. and godfather of course....and the big lebowski! :wink:

:yes: My favorite movie. Or at least in the top 3.

ih8brady
04-10-2006, 02:46 AM

:yes: I read Chinatown's script in a class once and it is without flaw.

HysterikiLL
04-10-2006, 05:12 AM
Wow, what do you do that has you reading that many scripts?

And yeah, what's up with the whole "Some Like It Hot" thing? I thought it was OK, funny in a dated way, but aside from having Marilyn Monroe in it, it was no great shakes...just a personal opinion.

Now, I'd like to see the whole list of 101, and see how many of the early Marx Brothers scripts, by the likes of George S. Kaufman and S.J. Perelman are in there.

My Aunty used to work for a production company + agency and would read a lot of scripts that eventually became big movies. I used to stay at their house a lot and got into reading scripts as I loved writing and got a lot of ideas from them when I was younger. It grew into something I did a lot and have just read and read and read scripts ever since. I love it. They're a mother ****er to write, but I love to read them.

I also used to read some independent screenplays and plays for schools and community groups and stuff, but that's not something I do anymore. Also, whenever Script PIMP has competitions, I e-mail Chadwick Clough and try to get a copy of any of their winning scripts. Some of those things turn into gold. I'm trying to focus more on getting a film education now (or trying to try to get a film education at least :rolleyes:), but I certainly love to read new material.

HysterikiLL
04-10-2006, 05:15 AM
I think they are missing Midnight Cowboy (which script is amazing) and Taxi Driver... Paul Schrader is an amazing scriptwriter...

For some reason I always used to get Midnight Cowboy mixed up with that horrible James Woods flick Drugstore Cowboy and developed a stigma around Midnight Cowboy, although I can't even say I've read that script. Taxi Driver was an awesome screenplay though. The only thing I was a little disturbed about though, was how Paul Schrader, when researching the character played by Jodie Foster, actually found a 12 year old prostitute and had him living in his hotel for a few days until Scorcese came to town to meet her (just like DeNiro in the film itself), so I have always felt Schrader to be a little on the weird side (like most writers). That screenplay still would be top 15 for sure though, I would say. The narrative monologue is awesome.

Quelonio
04-10-2006, 02:09 PM
For some reason I always used to get Midnight Cowboy mixed up with that horrible James Woods flick Drugstore Cowboy and developed a stigma around Midnight Cowboy, although I can't even say I've read that script. Taxi Driver was an awesome screenplay though. The only thing I was a little disturbed about though, was how Paul Schrader, when researching the character played by Jodie Foster, actually found a 12 year old prostitute and had him living in his hotel for a few days until Scorcese came to town to meet her (just like DeNiro in the film itself), so I have always felt Schrader to be a little on the weird side (like most writers). That screenplay still would be top 15 for sure though, I would say. The narrative monologue is awesome.

Schrader was a complete **** up, the guy was from a mid western very religious family, which parents used to beat him and his brother up... so he kinda came out a little full of demons...

Midnight Cowboy is beautifully written, I had to read it for a scriptwriting class... I haven't watched the movie yet, but the script is just great.

You should continue to have a relationship with your auntie if you want to get into the bussiness, I can tell you from experience, it is damn hard to get in if you don't know people... After I lost the editing gig, I managed to get a job at a commercial production company, but they are overworking me, way underpaying me, and making me go through living hell, but since i lost the other job so fast, I am on a cruzade to sustain this one until the month (mi contract is a month contract which pays me 800 for the whole month, and I work over 12 hours a day every day of the week)...

You should really not loose any contact you might have.