PDA

View Full Version : George Harrison, done on UKELELE

Agent51
04-08-2006, 01:16 AM
http://spikedhumor.com/Article.aspx?id=717

That guy is awesome, he plays "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" on a friggin' ukelele, and it sounds badass, especially when he nails the solo.

d-day
04-08-2006, 01:23 AM
the guys unbelievable agent - his phrasing is unreal

Roman529
04-08-2006, 01:25 AM
There was a Hawaiian guy who weighed about 500 pounds named Israel "Izzy" Kamakawiwo`ole......the guy had an amazing voice, and was fantastic on the ukelele. He did a great version of the song "Over the Rainbow."

Maynard the Hammer
04-08-2006, 01:40 AM
one of the best songs ever

Agent51
04-08-2006, 01:50 AM
There was a Hawaiian guy who weighed about 500 pounds named Israel "Izzy" Kamakawiwo`ole......the guy had an amazing voice, and was fantastic on the ukelele. He did a great version of the song "Over the Rainbow."

Most Hawai'ian guys weigh 500 pounds, lol, Hawai'ians are HUGE. But yea, a lot of hawai'ians have great voices, I really like the songs, the language just sounds so cool, especially when combined with a ukelele. I think Jack Johnson actually does a GREAT job of being a white guy but having that "island" feel to his music. He lives, and grew up, in Hawai'i so he has that accent, plus his music is just so laid back and everything, just like the islands. Everytime a friend comes to visit and they go back home I get calls and IMs saying everytime they hear Jack Johnson now it makes them think of Hawai'i because his music just FEELS like the islands and the lifestyle, lol.

Roman529
04-08-2006, 01:53 AM
Most Hawai'ian guys weigh 500 pounds, lol, Hawai'ians are HUGE. But yea, a lot of hawai'ians have great voices, I really like the songs, the language just sounds so cool, especially when combined with a ukelele. I think Jack Johnson actually does a GREAT job of being a white guy but having that "island" feel to his music. He lives, and grew up, in Hawai'i so he has that accent, plus his music is just so laid back and everything, just like the islands. Everytime a friend comes to visit and they go back home I get calls and IMs saying everytime they hear Jack Johnson now it makes them think of Hawai'i because his music just FEELS like the islands and the lifestyle, lol.

I saw Don Ho sing Tiny Bubbles around 1970...I was only about 4 at the time....I still remember the music of Hawaii though...you never forget it.

Maynard the Hammer
04-08-2006, 01:55 AM
I saw Don Ho sing Tiny Bubbles around 1970...I was only about 4 at the time....I still remember the music of Hawaii though...you never forget it.don ho is legend in hawaii.

Agent51
04-08-2006, 02:08 AM
don ho is legend in hawaii.

Yep. Hell, is whole FAMILY is made up of legends.

Roman529
04-08-2006, 02:11 AM
Elvis came to the Islands around this time to do some music specials but I did not get to go.
:boohoo:

d-day
04-08-2006, 02:16 AM
Elvis came to the Islands around this time to do some music specials but I did not get to go.
:boohoo:

that was the aloha tour - it's a great cd if you're an elvis fan

Maynard the Hammer
04-08-2006, 02:17 AM
Yep. Hell, is whole FAMILY is made up of legends.i remember when i visited, he was all i heard about. hawaii is a bit detached from the rest of the nation, but i found it charming. very unique place. i felt that i would be content to never come home and be a beach bum because the place was so beautiful

Agent51
04-08-2006, 02:28 AM
i remember when i visited, he was all i heard about. hawaii is a bit detached from the rest of the nation, but i found it charming. very unique place. i felt that i would be content to never come home and be a beach bum because the place was so beautiful

I started visiting here in the summers when I was still in middle school, around 6th grade i believe, and the second I graduated from high school I moved here (well, it was more like that September, but you get my point, lol). I'm a SUPER huge surfer so the choice was pretty obvious, not to mention the whole lifestyle, how everyone (for the most part) is nice and willing to help, and just so laid back, that is completely me. I also live in Cali for 5-ish months of the year and going back and forth from laid back Hawai'i to super snobby "i'm an actor/actress" southern California is such a culture shock, lol. It's getting to the point where I am thinking that this will be my last year actually LIVING in SoCal from May-October. I think I am going to stay here full time after this year and just VISIT SoCal for a month or so because everytime I leave for Cali I realize how much I miss it here.

What island did you visit when you came out?

Roman529
04-08-2006, 02:37 AM
that was the aloha tour - it's a great cd if you're an elvis fan

I saw the tv concert special he did on DVD. I also liked his cheesey movies....especially the ones with Ann-Margret. :hump:

Maynard the Hammer
04-08-2006, 02:38 AM
I started visiting here in the summers when I was still in middle school, around 6th grade i believe, and the second I graduated from high school I moved here (well, it was more like that September, but you get my point, lol). I'm a SUPER huge surfer so the choice was pretty obvious, not to mention the whole lifestyle, how everyone (for the most part) is nice and willing to help, and just so laid back, that is completely me. I also live in Cali for 5-ish months of the year and going back and forth from laid back Hawai'i to super snobby "i'm an actor/actress" southern California is such a culture shock, lol. It's getting to the point where I am thinking that this will be my last year actually LIVING in SoCal from May-October. I think I am going to stay here full time after this year and just VISIT SoCal for a month or so because everytime I leave for Cali I realize how much I miss it here.

What island did you visit when you came out?

i grew up in connecticut and its image-heavy, fast-paced lifestyle, so it was definitely a shock for me right away. everybody spoke english, but i felt like i was in another world. plus the weather....oh the weather. everything was open air and temp stayed almost the same throughout the entire day. very nice for a cold weather guy like me.

i spent two weeks there. i mostly stayed in waikiki of which the beach was a disappointment. i hiked diamondhead. and saw the pearl harbor memorial. we went to the north shore area for a day. that was awesome. beaches were amazing

we took two days to the big island and experienced all the different climates there. we went to the blacksand beaches and i still have a small jar full of it

d-day
04-08-2006, 02:39 AM
I saw the tv concert special he did on DVD. I also liked his cheesey movies....especially the ones with Ann-Margret. :hump:

:lol: - me too - i'm a huge fan of his

ann-margaret in the 60's... :drool:

Agent51
04-08-2006, 03:40 AM
*EDIT* weird mess-up post

Agent51
04-08-2006, 03:42 AM
i grew up in connecticut and its image-heavy, fast-paced lifestyle, so it was definitely a shock for me right away. everybody spoke english, but i felt like i was in another world. plus the weather....oh the weather. everything was open air and temp stayed almost the same throughout the entire day. very nice for a cold weather guy like me.

i spent two weeks there. i mostly stayed in waikiki of which the beach was a disappointment. i hiked diamondhead. and saw the pearl harbor memorial. we went to the north shore area for a day. that was awesome. beaches were amazing

we took two days to the big island and experienced all the different climates there. we went to the blacksand beaches and i still have a small jar full of it

Yea I grew up in stuck up rich Newport, Rhode Island, so the first time I went I was like "WTF is goin on here?" lol. The fact that I could ask someone on th street a queston and they would give me this really nice, very helpful answer instead of ignoring or turning their nose up with a snobby attitude shocked me. Like you said, it was like it was an entirely different world. I like the fact that everything is open air, which you notice right away when you land at the airport. But everything from malls to resturants, all open air, some just don't have windows, others, like the 3-story Ala Moana Shopping Center (mall) don't even have a roof (in the walkways anyway, the actual stores have roofs). I also love how the temp/climate is basically the same year round. They don;t really recognize spring and fall out here, they just say wonter or summer. Winter goes from November-April for them and Summer is considered May-October. Basically it is between mid-60s to mid-70s (on average) in the winter and mid-70s to mid/high 80s (on average) in the summer, so it's basically in that same 25 degree range year round. Sometimes it can go into the 90s in the summer or drop into the high 50s at night in the winter, but for the most part it stays in those ranges.

Waikiki is EXTREMELY overrated IMHO. I'm not even saying that because I now live hear and I'm jaded by it, lol, it just isn;t that impressive. It's definately a must visit just to say "I walked/swam/surfed at Waikiki Beach" since it IS prolly the world's most famous beach, but other than that there are 813247912597653847 other beaches that are MUCH nicer and MUCH more secluded/less crowded to spend a day at. Plus Waikiki is so narrow, at high tide it can be LITERALLY only like 5 feet across in some parts from the water to the wall. Diamondhead is BEAUTIFUL, AMAZING view. Pearl Harbor is a MUST, even if you aren't into history it is still just AMAZING. The line is usually INSANE though, since it's free, but if you go in the afternoon (last boat tour runs at 3:30) it isn't nearly as bad. Everyone goes at liek 5am, thinking they will beat the crowd, except EEVRYONE has that idea, lol, so that is when the crowd is the worst. The North Shore is STUNNING. Beautiful, and famous, beaches. This includes Waimea Bay, Sunset Beach, Bonzai Pipeline, Haleiwa (pronounced Ha-lee-ee-va). Of course being a surfer that is MY favorite part of the island, lol. If you see Pipeline or Waimea Bay in the winter season you will be in awe. At Pipeline you stand on th beach and 20-40 foot waves break LITERALLY 50 feet away from you, it is INSANE. I have almost died there before (fell, got sucked over with the curling wave and driven into the reef, which is only in like 3 feet of water, I shattered my skull and broke my jaw, lol). Waimea is simply amazing too, there are like 60 footers there. And Matsumoto's shaved ice in Haleiwa is an ABSOLUTE MUST. Best shaved ice on the planet, especially if you get it with the scoop of vanilla ice cream in teh bottom. It's awesome in there, it's a tiny little shop but the walls are COVERED with pictures of celebrities in there. Everyone from Tom Hanks (looks like it was taken in the 80s the way he has super neon swim trunks on, lol) to Jack Johnson to Adam Sandler. There is also a tiny little cafe called Cafe Haleiwa that I got to everytime I'm up there in time (they close at 2:30pm). They have THE biggest pancakes, lol. Sometimes you will see famous surfer's in there too, it's a favorite of all the pros. I have been in there tons of times and in walks Kelly Slater or someone and sits down right next to me and you just sit there and eat your awesome food and have awesome convos with these pro surfers that make millions of dollars but are more down to earth than 90% of the people on the planet.

One of the best places to visit, tourist or local, is Hanauma Bay. AMAZING snorkeling, and its a protected wildlife reserve but they let people swim and snorkel there (after watching a video on how you shouldn't stand on the coral and all that). Decades of doing so has allowed the fish to almost adapt to the people, it's one of the only places I've ever seen where you can swim right up and through schools of all the crazy tropicl fish and not they don't even notice you are there. They don't dart away like the do pretty much everywhere else. You can just chill with em and Sea Turtles swim right up to you and everything, although the turtles usually do that anywhere, even on Waikiki beach, they are just all around chill, haha. Here's a pic of Hanauma Bay that I took like two weeks ago:

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif (http://imageshack.us/?x=my6&myref=http://www.imageshack.us/)

It was POURING rain out at the time of this pic, lol.

The black sand beaches on the Big Island are amazing, did you go see the volcano? The Big Island is cool because you can be skiing in the AM and snorkeling in the afternoon since there is snow up on the high mountains but down at normal level it is still "Hawai'i climate" lol.

d-day
04-08-2006, 03:44 AM
damn agent - you and hans make me yearn for the islands - i remember telling hans once that i had a job offer 4 years ago on the military base in/by honolulu but i turned it down because of a girl... :couch: - now this girl really was outstanding - the best girl i ever been with in my whole life - i compare every other girl to her - i mean i'm jaded but i wish i wouldn't have turned down that offer...

lazareth
04-08-2006, 03:47 AM
that was pretty awesome :yes: good find :up:

Agent51
04-08-2006, 03:56 AM
damn agent - you and hans make me yearn for the islands - i remember telling hans once that i had a job offer 4 years ago on the military base in/by honolulu but i turned it down because of a girl... :couch: - now this girl really was outstanding - the best girl i ever been with in my whole life - i compare every other girl to her - i mean i'm jaded but i wish i wouldn't have turned down that offer...

Never too late to move out here :D. There is a Military Base for ALL of the branches out here so finding a job on a base shouldn't be too hard. My friend's dad is pretty high up in the Navy, he pulls strings for people all the time, lol. Hell, there are tons of jobs PERIOD, not JUST on the bases.

Shoulda broght the chick WITH you D-Day, then you coulda had the best of both. I get ya though, I had a chick like that, dated her for 3 years, she was the first (and ONLY) girl I ever told I loved, and I can honestly say that I prolly woulda stayed in RI for her, even knwing what I know now about how awesome it is here I prolly woulda still chosen her.

d-day
04-08-2006, 04:01 AM
Never too late to move out here :D. There is a Military Base for ALL of the branches out here so finding a job on a base shouldn't be too hard. My friend's dad is pretty high up in the Navy, he pulls strings for people all the time, lol. Hell, there are tons of jobs PERIOD, not JUST on the bases.

Shoulda broght the chick WITH you D-Day, then you coulda had the best of both. I get ya though, I had a chick like that, dated her for 3 years, she was the first (and ONLY) girl I ever told I loved, and I can honestly say that I prolly woulda stayed in RI for her, even knwing what I know now about how awesome it is here I prolly woulda still chosen her.

:lol: - thanks for that agent - girls! they broke up my band, one took my dog when we split up, one literally tried to kill me :chuckle: but if i could have done it over... :hmmm: i still would have moved to hawaii... :tongue:

Agent51
04-08-2006, 04:13 AM
- thanks for that agent - girls! they broke up my band, one took my dog when we split up, one literally tried to kill me but if i could have done it over... :hmmm: i still would have moved to hawaii... :tongue:

Yea man, girls = :dunno: :smackhead :confused2 :huh: :confused: :hmmm:

But yea, it's awesome out here. Occasionally I'll mss back home for my friends there and family, but that's what they make planes for, lol. Hopefully you get out here sometime to party. I can get ya VIP at 95% of the clubs out here, we can drink for free too, and I can show ya all the best spots, both for drinking and women. Although maybe I'll take you to the one street has has all the tranny hookers, and the hookers that are now "women" but USED to be "men" JUST as payback for trying to convince me I was wrong in the Mor's "banning" :lol:.

There is always this bar in downtown Waikiki called Alley Cats. It's, ummm, "interesting" :sidelol:. I bet Hans knows about it.

d-day
04-08-2006, 04:15 AM
Yea man, girls = :dunno: :smackhead :confused2 :huh: :confused: :hmmm:

But yea, it's awesome out here. Occasionally I'll mss back home for my friends there and family, but that's what they make planes for, lol. Hopefully you get out here sometime to party. I can get ya VIP at 95% of the clubs out here, we can drink for free too, and I can show ya all the best spots, both for drinking and women. Although maybe I'll take you to the one street has has all the tranny hookers, and the hookers that are now "women" but USED to be "men" JUST as payback for trying to convince me I was wrong in the Mor's "banning" :lol:.

There is always this bar in downtown Waikiki called Alley Cats. It's, ummm, "interesting" :sidelol:. I bet Hans knows about it.

:lol: :couch: - was i even convincing at all...?!

Agent51
04-08-2006, 04:53 AM
:lol: :couch: - was i even convincing at all...?!

No, lol. I will admit though, when I visted Mor's website that someone posted and saw that he posted about being banned I ALMOST bought it, ALMOST, til his last line said something like "Oh well, F it, I guess I'm all alone now" which, like everything else pertaining to that whole "situation" semmed the COMPLETE opposite from the Mor I knew, plus seemed like SUPER overacting, haha. I am also the type of person that when I have my mind set one somethign I'm pretty stubborn about it and I don't really back down on that, I stick with my guns, so for me to have the mindset that it was a joke and then for others to try and convince me (ESPECIALLY you D-Day, lol, since you are always the joker right with him) otherwise, it just wasn't happenin without cold hard proof. It's cool though, I forgive, you guys just owe me a shot because I had it pegged from the get-go, :lol: .

BTW, here is a picture I took of Hanauma Bay on a SUNNY day. Notice the difference in the crowds, lol, not a soul there in the rain, PACKED in the sun. I woulda posted this in with my other post but it was already SUPER long, didn't wanna make it any bigger:

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/04/dsc008219fj-1.jpg (http://imageshack.us/?x=my6&myref=http://www.imageshack.us/)

d-day
04-08-2006, 04:55 AM
No, lol. I will admit though, when I visted Mor's website that someone posted and saw that he posted about being banned I ALMOST bought it, ALMOST, til his last line said something like "Oh well, F it, I guess I'm all alone now" which, like everything else pertaining to that whole "situation" semmed the COMPLETE opposite from the Mor I knew, plus seemed like SUPER overacting, haha. I am also the type of person that when I have my mind set one somethign I'm pretty stubborn about it and I don't really back down on that, I stick with my guns, so for me to have the mindset that it was a joke and then for others to try and convince me (ESPECIALLY you D-Day, lol, since you are always the joker right with him) otherwise, it just wasn't happenin without cold hard proof. It's cool though, I forgive, you guys just owe me a shot because I had it pegged from the get-go, :lol: .

BTW, here is a picture I took of Hanauma Bay on a SUNNY day. Notice the difference in the crowds, lol, not a soul there in the rain, PACKED in the sun. I woulda posted this in with my other post but it was already SUPER long, didn't wanna make it any bigger:

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/3240/dsc008219fj.jpg (http://imageshack.us/?x=my6&myref=http://www.imageshack.us/)

pretty as a picture... :wink: