PDA

View Full Version : Laptop/Router Problems

Buddwalk
04-08-2006, 05:40 PM
My moms laptop for the past 5 days has not been responding to the wireless network Im running...like when I go to wireless connections on it and refresh my network never comes and no network comes up

Agent51
04-08-2006, 05:56 PM
My moms laptop for the past 5 days has not been responding to the wireless network Im running...like when I go to wireless connections on it and refresh my network never comes and no network comes up

Didn't you have this problem before, or was that someone else? I though I remembered seeing a thread about the same thing a couple weeks ago. I had that problem with my friends WIRED laptop when they visited but all it took was shutting down the laptop and the host PC, and unplugging the modem AND the router, then plugging em back in til all the appropriate lights came on then turning on the PC and laptop.

Buddwalk
04-08-2006, 06:07 PM
Didn't you have this problem before, or was that someone else? I though I remembered seeing a thread about the same thing a couple weeks ago. I had that problem with my friends WIRED laptop when they visited but all it took was shutting down the laptop and the host PC, and unplugging the modem AND the router, then plugging em back in til all the appropriate lights came on then turning on the PC and laptop.

Unfortunately thats not the problem

The problem we were having was simliar but the internet explorer was just not responding now she cant even get a connection

Im getting worried might be something wrong with the laptop

Agent51
04-08-2006, 06:10 PM
Unfortunately thats not the problem

The problem we were having was simliar but the internet explorer was just not responding now she cant even get a connection

Im getting worried might be something wrong with the laptop

Hmm, no clue man.

Jimmy James
04-08-2006, 06:28 PM
Can you hook the sucker up to the wired network?

Agent51
04-08-2006, 06:30 PM
Can you hook the sucker up to the wired network?

I was gonna suggest hooking it up to the modem itself just to test the laptop and see if it is laptop itself or something different, but then I figured if there is a problem with the laptops wireless card hooking it up to a wired connection won't really help, aside from letting you know that it ISN'T the laptop's IE that is busted, and maybe giving you a hint that it might be a problem with the card :confused:

Buddwalk
04-08-2006, 06:38 PM
I was gonna suggest hooking it up to the modem itself just to test the laptop and see if it is laptop itself or something different, but then I figured if there is a problem with the laptops wireless card hooking it up to a wired connection won't really help, aside from letting you know that it ISN'T the laptop's IE that is busted, and maybe giving you a hint that it might be a problem with the card :confused:

:yeahthat:

Roman529
04-08-2006, 07:34 PM
Are you getting a "searching for connection" message? My ethernet card also has a blinking light when it is powering up....could be the card or more likely it is having trouble finding a connection....I would take it to a Comp USA or a Best Buy to do some quick troubleshooting....hopefully it is nothing major. :rolleyes:

Buddwalk
04-09-2006, 08:29 PM
bump i'd really appreciate some help her my moms going crazy without her laptop :eek:

Buddwalk
04-09-2006, 11:49 PM
bumpity bump bump :wink: :wink: :wink:

byroan
04-09-2006, 11:52 PM
Is your wireless network secured? Do you have a wep or wpa key? Is your computer on the wireless network or are you plugged directly into the router? What kind of router is it?

phins17
04-09-2006, 11:57 PM
Budd go to the Hardware section and remove the wireless card, restart the laptop and it should install the wireless card drivers. Now go to the network connection and recreate it. If this does not work then take it to Best Buy.

Buddwalk
04-09-2006, 11:57 PM
Is your wireless network secured? Do you have a wep or wpa key? Is your computer on the wireless network or are you plugged directly into the router? What kind of router is it?

Linksys router

Network is not seccured

no wep or wpa key

For about 4 monthe she had no problem now suddenly she is

Im the host computer and im plugged into the modem which is plugged into the router...her wireless network card reads the router signal

byroan
04-10-2006, 12:00 AM
Have you tried resetting the router settings and modem? You should be able to reset it in http://192.168.1.1/

Buddwalk
04-10-2006, 12:01 AM
Have you tried resetting the router settings and modem? You should be able to reset it in http://192.168.1.1/

Does this take long? and is there more to it then just a click of a button?

byroan
04-10-2006, 12:03 AM
Should only take 5 seconds, you'll be disconnected from the internet while it resets and then re-connected. It's only one click of a button.

Buddwalk
04-10-2006, 12:04 AM
Should only take 5 seconds, you'll be disconnected from the internet while it resets and then re-connected. It's only one click of a button.

thx byroan going to try it out brb :wink: :wink: :wink:

Buddwalk
04-10-2006, 12:05 AM

I clicked it and it asked for a username and password???

byroan
04-10-2006, 12:06 AM
I think the default password for a linksys router is leaving the username blank and the password is admin

Buddwalk
04-10-2006, 12:07 AM
I think the default password for a linksys router is leaving the username blank and the password is admin

ok i'll give it a try\

Ok I'm in where do I go to reset this?

Buddwalk
04-14-2006, 04:03 PM
tried numerous things still not working :tantrum:

HysterikiLL
04-14-2006, 06:22 PM
This happens to me a lot. Just turn off your router at the wall and leave it for 25 seconds. It helps if your computer is shut down at this time or on standby. Then just turn it back on after 25 seconds and go to your comp. It may take a few seconds or even a reboot but should work.