PDA

View Full Version : When does Playstation 3 drop!

FinsNYanksFan13
04-10-2006, 10:57 AM
I just stole X-Box 360 so that will hold me over for a little while but my loyalty is with Playstation. Anyone know when it's dropping?

PhinsPhan
04-10-2006, 11:35 AM
It is supposed to be coming out in November. That is what Sony announced. BUT most industry people say that it will only come out in November in Japan and will come out after XMas sometime around Feb. or March in North America.

Also I don't know if you want to hold you breath. There is a good chance it will be $100 more than an Xbox 360 and as it stands right now they are probably going to have the same power despite what sony reps said months ago.

AquaInferno
04-10-2006, 11:42 AM
It is supposed to be coming out in November. That is what Sony announced. BUT most industry people say that it will only come out in November in Japan and will come out after XMas sometime around Feb. or March in North America.

Also I don't know if you want to hold you breath. There is a good chance it will be $100 more than an Xbox 360 and as it stands right now they are probably going to have the same power despite what sony reps said months ago.

With PS3 being region free, a worldwide launch could be possible, if they have the regioning of Blu-Ray 100% by Novemeber, and region 1 drives ready by then, I don't see why not in November.

Motion
04-10-2006, 12:29 PM

Based on what?

nevadadolfan
04-10-2006, 01:08 PM
OH boy here we go again - xbox 360 vs PS3!!!

Motion
04-10-2006, 01:18 PM
OH boy here we go again - xbox 360 vs PS3!!!

I'm not trying to start a big debate, just curious as to what would make him say that.

Majpain
04-10-2006, 02:24 PM
What do you mean you stole?

PhinsPhan
04-19-2006, 02:10 PM
Based on what?

countless hours of research.
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/617/617951p1.html (older but actually states the Xbox 360 is higher in performance)
"When you break down the numbers, Xbox 360 has provably more performance than PS3. Keep in mind that Sony has a track record of over promising and under delivering on technical performance. The truth is that both systems pack a lot of power for high definition games and entertainment."

The whole issue is they are different machines. The Xbox is easy to program for and has a video card that was solely designed for the next gen machine. The PS3 on the other hand has a great processor with tons of power. The problem is there are huge bottlenecks and this makes it hard to develop for. In addition the GPU is an upgraded video card that is currently made and one that you can already buy on the market.

Bottom line is this;
The Xbox was 3 times more powerful than the PS2. Yet games were made for both systems and were not much different. The same thing will happen this generation.

The Xbox should have the better GPU while the PS3 has the better processor

Xbox will be further along in their development cycle already extracting more out of the machine. Playstation games will still be in their immature phase by the time of launch. An accurate comparison won't be easy to make until a few years down the road.
http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-x-1985-x-x-x?tag=boxcar_all_features_image

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2453&p=13 (old article but very extensive.)
here they actually take a different persepective and say that the battle will be won by the GPUs since the CPUs are a wash.
"when running mostly single threaded code, the performance difference from a CPU standpoint between the Xbox 360’s Xenon and the PS3’s Cell processor is basically a wash. The 360 has more cache, while the Cell has a lower latency path to main memory. In the end, the first generation or two of games will mainly be a GPU battle between the two consoles, and both will offer significant improvements over what we have with current consoles. "

"Graphics-wise the 360’s Xenos GPU and the PS3’s RSX are fairly different in implementation, but may end up being very similar in performance. "

There are a ton of other smaller articles taken off forums and such but these are just 3 highly respected sites. They all basically say they are a wash on performance.

mor911
04-19-2006, 03:24 PM
jeez... Who cares. Buy the one you want. Nobody here gets paid based on the success or failure of either Microsoft or Sony. Infact, we all benefit if they both do well. It makes no sense what so ever to start this debate every thread.

UltraDol-Fan
04-19-2006, 03:39 PM
jeez... Who cares. Buy the one you want. Nobody here gets paid based on the success or failure of either Microsoft or Sony. Infact, we all benefit if they both do well. It makes no sense what so ever to start this debate every thread.

agreed

...and on another note ESPN 2k5 is better than Madden :D

sorry, just wanted to stir the pot

nevadadolfan
04-19-2006, 04:08 PM

I dont think he was really debating anything, mearly stating specs and info on each system...no harm in that. I didnt really feel a side was taken either way. But I hear ya on the whole debate on every thread thing, I dont like when people pick a fav. system then argue about its supremecy untill the cows come home!

AquaInferno
04-19-2006, 05:02 PM
agreed

It's cool us Madden fans (me at least) are immune to heaing about the one game people liked because it was cheap. Think of payless shoes for a game console. Sure the halftime presentation was nicer but the 18 sacks my friend got with Peppers in one game was enough for me to say "What a waste of $20" I played that game like 5 or 6 times at most. Thankfully I bought Madden 05.

Slappy8800
04-19-2006, 10:31 PM
It's cool us Madden fans (me at least) are immune to heaing about the one game people liked because it was cheap. Think of payless shoes for a game console. Sure the halftime presentation was nicer but the 18 sacks my friend got with Peppers in one game was enough for me to say "What a waste of $20" I played that game like 5 or 6 times at most. Thankfully I bought Madden 05.

yea it was better cause it was cheap...not because the graphics,gameplay,presentation were better

Medieval954
04-19-2006, 11:38 PM
Back on topic, the PS3 is supposed to launch in November.

Worldwide.

Let's just say I'll believe when I see it.

dQbell
04-20-2006, 04:59 PM
agreed

:lol:

Dol-Fan Dupree
04-20-2006, 05:29 PM

Madden 05 sucked. Madden 04 was so much better. It was almost like they decieded to take everything that made 04 fun and take it out. 2k5 was so much better well gameplay wise. The fact that the other teams only drafted wide recievers, quarterbacks and defensive tackles made it really silly.

I wonder when they are ever going to fix the bug in Madden where you can trade your first three picks for the firth three picks of the worst team in the league. I haven't drafted outside the top 8 since I discovered this in 2000.

Edit: Plus no one knows what exactly is going to be on the PS3 till the information is actually released.

postermaster
04-20-2006, 05:39 PM

The money is useless, since he use to steal the consoles... :lol:

I just stole X-Box 360 so that will hold me over for a little while but my loyalty is with Playstation. Anyone know when it's dropping?

Dol_Fan_4_Ever
04-20-2006, 06:35 PM
All depends on demand really. If they feel they (Sony) needs to put the system out before christmas, then it will happen. Barring any technical or productions issues it should be November but then again, the whole video game industry runs behind schedule so don't act surprised if it's not November. I have my xbox 360 and love it :-).