PDA

View Full Version : A rest for ‘Development’: Fan comes to grips

BAMAPHIN 22
04-10-2006, 08:15 PM
“This is the story of a wealthy family, who lost everything, and the one son who had no choice but to keep them all together...” These 25 words opened each episode of “Arrested Development,” giving the audience absolutely no preparation for what was to follow: a tightly woven tapestry of diverse comic elements with something to please — and alienate — almost everybody.
“Arrested” was always an acquired taste. I had the benefit of catching it from the first episode where the show hooked me with lines like “it’s not really an intervention. It’s a little bit more of an imposition.” I knew the program was never going to be a mass-appeal hit when I found myself explaining most of its best jokes to family and friends after every episode ended.

With a large talented cast playing a mismatched collection of mostly unsympathetic characters, “Arrested” was reminiscent of 1970s classic “Soap,” but without that show's reassuring narrator, famed for saying “Confused? You won’t be, after this week’s episode.” In fact, "Arrested Development's" narrator, TV icon and executive producer Ron Howard, served as an extra character, setting up some gags, paying off others and ending each episode with a “preview” of scenes that may or may not ever show up on a future show. Confused? You will be.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12175468/

HysterikiLL
04-10-2006, 09:06 PM
“This is the story of a wealthy family, who lost everything, and the one son who had no choice but to keep them all together...” These 25 words opened each episode of “Arrested Development,” giving the audience absolutely no preparation for what was to follow: a tightly woven tapestry of diverse comic elements with something to please — and alienate — almost everybody.
“Arrested” was always an acquired taste. I had the benefit of catching it from the first episode where the show hooked me with lines like “it’s not really an intervention. It’s a little bit more of an imposition.” I knew the program was never going to be a mass-appeal hit when I found myself explaining most of its best jokes to family and friends after every episode ended.

With a large talented cast playing a mismatched collection of mostly unsympathetic characters, “Arrested” was reminiscent of 1970s classic “Soap,” but without that show's reassuring narrator, famed for saying “Confused? You won’t be, after this week’s episode.” In fact, "Arrested Development's" narrator, TV icon and executive producer Ron Howard, served as an extra character, setting up some gags, paying off others and ending each episode with a “preview” of scenes that may or may not ever show up on a future show. Confused? You will be.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12175468/

...so what is that article actually about?

Muck
04-10-2006, 09:39 PM
That was a great show. It fit my taste from the get-go. No acquisition needed.

Will Arnett (G.O.B.) was my favorite. :lol:

http://www.fox.com/arresteddev/

Pennington's Rocket Arm
04-10-2006, 09:50 PM
the fact that a show this brilliant was beat out by "reba" really shows what the hell is wrong with people in this country.

dQbell
04-10-2006, 10:32 PM
the fact that a show this brilliant was beat out by "reba" really shows what the hell is wrong with people in this country.

Indeed. Gene Hackman in Runaway Jury had a quote that I have always liked...To paraphrase.."The average American wants to go home and recline in his chair and let the cable TV wash over him."

Sadly, televison shows that have depth are often overlooked by people who are too lazy to understand them, and that leaves the ones who are intellectually selective about what they watch. But, those are few and far between.

HysterikiLL
04-10-2006, 10:34 PM
Indeed. Gene Hackman in Runaway Jury had a quote that I have always liked...To paraphrase.."The average American wants to go home and recline in his chair and let the cable TV wash over him."

Sadly, televison shows that have depth are often overlooked by people who are too lazy to understand them, and that leaves the ones who are intellectually selective about what they watch. But, those are few and far between.

Are you insinuating that According To Jim doesn't have great depth!?!?

byroan
04-10-2006, 10:41 PM
I hated that show.

dQbell
04-10-2006, 10:48 PM
Are you insinuating that According To Jim doesn't have great depth!?!?

lol..I've never watched it, but yeah why not..I'll go ahead and say that.

Gonzo
04-10-2006, 11:42 PM
I just hope that the rumors about Showtime picking up the series are true. Imagine it with no censorship...

And I agree Muck, GOB is the best. His character and David Cross' weren't even supposed to be more than minor parts until the auditions and pilot.