PDA

View Full Version : Nikon D50

Dolfan11
04-10-2006, 09:48 PM
I'm looking to get a SLR Digital Camera. Based on recommendations and reviews the best entry level option with great performance is the Nikon D50. I'm looking to get the body alone, but not sure which lens (without spending to much money) would be superior to the one that comes with it. Basically, I'm asking any photographer or any one who might know, if the lens that comes with the camera is sufficient or is it worth it to get a better one? Of course money is a factor, so I'm looking to spend no more than $300 on the lens. Any help or recommendations for lenses or cameras would be great, thanks.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Nikon_D50_w_18_55mm_lens/4505-6501_7-31341793.html

HysterikiLL
04-11-2006, 12:07 AM
How much is the camera? That looks pretty tight. Photography is a passion of mine, and I just use a normal digi camera and jazz the photos up on the computer (although quality is shizen)

Slappy8800
04-11-2006, 12:08 AM
How much is the camera? That looks pretty tight. Photography is a passion of mine, and I just use a normal digi camera and jazz the photos up on the computer (although quality is shizen)

Prices and availability

for Nikon D50 w/18-55mm lens
Price Range: $509-779 :eek:

HysterikiLL
04-11-2006, 03:49 AM
Jesus christ. For an 'entry-level' camera? I wonder if I could sell my photogenic memory for that price.

TJamesW_phinfan
04-11-2006, 07:28 AM
Unfortunately yeah that is entry level for a digital SLR. It is a good starting camera if you can afford it and the interchangeble lens can be handy in the long run. It will be less convenient than a point and shoot type due to size etc. But the optics of the lenses you will be using are generaly much better than a point and shoot but will only be evident in high detail shots or enlargements. The 18 to 55 lens will only be good for wide angle to close range shots. You will want to get a larger zoom lens eventualy for longer range shots. One factor to consider in a zoom purchase down the road is its aperture range. larger lenses have higher lowest aperture settings which can affect low light shooting so you want to compare its aperture range when shopping different lenses to add later on. The nikon lenses are very high quality optics but there are good generic ones available. Shop around hit your local camera stores, the net etc and get as much info on available lenses and prices that are fully functional with that body. An SLR also gives the option of an attached flash that can be nore powerfull and versatile (bounce angles) than a built in flash. And the interchangable lenses allow use of many types of filters for interesting results.

Good luck with it. :)

Dolfan11
04-11-2006, 10:40 AM
Unfortunately yeah that is entry level for a digital SLR. It is a good starting camera if you can afford it and the interchangeble lens can be handy in the long run. It will be less convenient than a point and shoot type due to size etc. But the optics of the lenses you will be using are generaly much better than a point and shoot but will only be evident in high detail shots or enlargements. The 18 to 55 lens will only be good for wide angle to close range shots. You will want to get a larger zoom lens eventualy for longer range shots. One factor to consider in a zoom purchase down the road is its aperture range. larger lenses have higher lowest aperture settings which can affect low light shooting so you want to compare its aperture range when shopping different lenses to add later on. The nikon lenses are very high quality optics but there are good generic ones available. Shop around hit your local camera stores, the net etc and get as much info on available lenses and prices that are fully functional with that body. An SLR also gives the option of an attached flash that can be nore powerfull and versatile (bounce angles) than a built in flash. And the interchangable lenses allow use of many types of filters for interesting results.

Thanks!

ChrisKo
04-11-2006, 11:40 AM
I haven't kept up in a while, but a GREAT resource is http://www.steves-digicams.com/

WharfRat
04-11-2006, 11:51 AM

:yeahthat:

you really can't go wrong with a Nikon, although I've seen the D50's prices as low as $350 without any extra lenses:
http://www.expresscameras.com/prodetails.asp?prodid=372960&start=1

I use the D70...which I LOVE.... but it ran me about $800 when I bought it...