PDA

View Full Version : aight need help setting up my xbox live for 360

Slappy8800
04-10-2006, 11:12 PM
what exactly do i need to set up an internet conenction with my 360..pictures are helpful as i have the mind of a 4 year old...some sort of wireless router? is that wireless xbox adapter worth it or should i just run the ethernet? help as im bored playing by myself

Deus Ex Dolphin
04-11-2006, 03:52 AM
Everyone has a different set-up, but it would help us, help you, if you can tell us what you have right now. DSL modem? Router? Wireless router? Need to share connection with your PC? Are you looking to get a wireless adapter for your 360? Or would running an ethernet cable be just as good (and cheaper)?

Slappy8800
04-11-2006, 04:13 AM
uuuh ill be using it at my GFs house....she has a DSL modem through AOL...its a little box like thing

Deus Ex Dolphin
04-11-2006, 03:13 PM
Well, just plug it in with the ethernet cable and see what happens. I'm not sure if AOL (AOHell) actually supports Xbox Live though.

mor911
04-11-2006, 04:01 PM
Not sure about AOL's DSL. Their dial-up wasn't true internet access (It was internet via a custom proxy) so I wouldn't be suprised if their DSL was some similar gimmick.

If it is a true DSL WAN connection, you should be able to connect your AOL ethernet port to a router like this one:

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

There's tons of routers out there, and there's no need to use a wireless one unless you have the xbox (or 360) wireless adapter. If you plan to go wireless someday, just get a good Wireless G router... It's only a few bucks more usually.

Connect the ethernet cable from AOL (the wall or modem, not sure how your connection works. There's generally basic DSL which is a phone line going into a modem. You'd take the cable from the modem and put it into the WAN/Input connection of the router. The other kind of DSL is called IFITL or Fiber. It's usually an ethernet cable coming straight out of the wall. This would go into your router) From the router, you need to run a cable from one of your ports (there's generally 4) to your xbox and another to the PC.

Most DSL connections use some form of authentication. You may need to log into the router to configure it with a DSL username and password (called PPPoE). You should contact AOL (your DSL provider) to find the method of authentication they use (if any).

I know routers pretty well, I'll answer questions as best I can.

EDIT -- Before you go buy any equipment or routers, call AOL and ask them if Xbox live is even possible.

Slappy8800
04-11-2006, 09:38 PM
thanks...if im not mistaken its AOL dsl powered by verizon i dunno but ill call em..hopefully they know what im talkign about