PDA

View Full Version : God help me for asking this... Tell me about photoshop

PassRush
04-11-2006, 01:16 AM
Thats right, I am interested. I know nothing about photoshop and I was wondering:

Is it easy or hard to learn?

Does it really cost $500+ like I see at bestbuy?

Does it get anoying, having people constantly asking you to make them sigs?

Thanks in advance

discuss

Agent51
04-11-2006, 01:22 AM
Thats right, I am interested. I know nothing about photoshop and I was wondering:

Thanks in advance

discuss

The short answers would be:

It's easy to learn, hard to master

Depending on which one it can be almost $1,000, but, like everything else, it is easily "obtainable" for free.

I don't put it out there that I know photoshop so I can't answer the "sig request annoyance" question, lol.

PassRush
04-11-2006, 01:29 AM
The short answers would be:

It's easy to learn, hard to master

Depending on which one it can be almost $1,000, but, like everything else, it is easily "obtainable" for free.

I don't put it out there that I know photoshop so I can't answer the "sig request annoyance" question, lol.

Ah ha, obtainable. I am not into downloading music and movies and such, though I would be interested in where I could find such software. I suppose that communica must be through PM or AIM (AssinineCharlie). I doubt the mods would allow that

Agent51
04-11-2006, 03:26 AM
Ah ha, obtainable. I am not into downloading music and movies and such, though I would be interested in where I could find such software. I suppose that communica must be through PM or AIM (AssinineCharlie). I doubt the mods would allow that

well yea, if you're interested toss me a PM. for someone like you who is just curious aboude Photoshop and just wants to mess around with it then I'd suggest "acquiring" it, because $600-$1,000 is a LOT of money for something that you are only casually interested in.

dolphinfan2k5
04-11-2006, 08:43 AM
Or you could legally download the free trial for 30 days to see if your interested from adobe.com.

Agent51
04-11-2006, 10:29 PM
Or you could legally download the free trial for 30 days to see if your interested from adobe.com.

that too, but say he just wants to have it should he ever wanna make a project or mess around when he's bored, that definately isn't worth that tons of money the program costs. I paid for my Photoshop, $956 or something like that, but that's because I use it on a daily basis and I am very fond of it so saw a reason to pay for it. If I was just gonna use it to mess around with here or there I definately wouldn't have shelled out a grand for it.

darkmistress
04-11-2006, 10:33 PM
I heard of someone buying an older version (7.0 I think) for dirt cheap (about $100) then just upgrading to CS2 for an extra $100 or so. You don't get the full CS2 experience but it's pretty darn close. And it's for next to nothing in ps terms :chuckle:

ILPhinFan88
04-11-2006, 11:04 PM
I heard of someone buying an older version (7.0 I think) for dirt cheap (about $100) then just upgrading to CS2 for an extra $100 or so. You don't get the full CS2 experience but it's pretty darn close. And it's for next to nothing in ps terms :chuckle:

I got Photoshop 7 for $70.00 and thats what I'm planning on doing, upgrading for $139.00

darkmistress
04-11-2006, 11:12 PM
I got Photoshop 7 for $70.00 and thats what I'm planning on doing, upgrading for $139.00

well there you go... that's what I was trying to say :chuckle:

Protocol
04-12-2006, 11:54 PM
what is the advantage of paying for photoshop? i dont understand why someone wouls waste that much money on something that is easily found for free.

unifiedtheory
04-13-2006, 01:09 AM
what is the advantage of paying for photoshop? i dont understand why someone wouls waste that much money on something that is easily found for free.

That's the same question you could ask about music.

People work there butts off making, creating, perfecting, updating, promoting and getting products, services and art out there for people to enjoy.

"Getting it for free" is the same as walking into your nearest shoe store, trying on shoes and walking out without paying for them...there is NO difference. Anything is available "for free".

I'm sorry if I sound old school or a bit presumptious/high and mighty but this issue REALLY touches a nerve with me...especcially the music/software downloading issue.

I think I'm one of the few people on the planet that still actually pays for music. My downloading consists of reading about a band/record, downloading a few tracks and if I like it I buy it, if I don't I don't buy it. "You just admitted to downloading". Yes I did but sampling music from my computer is easier then dealing with idiotic record store employees who either have not heard of what I'm looking for or, don't have the time to let me sample a half dozen C.D.'s.

I'll get off my soapbox now and actually answer the topic at hand.

unifiedtheory
04-13-2006, 01:15 AM

Thanks in advance

discuss
Learning it is actually not to tough. It is the same as anything, practice and experimentation make you better. There are mulitple tutorial programs out there that teach the basics.

The cost is up to you. I bought Photoshop 7.0 when it first came out (don't ask what I paid but, I did get a major discount through school). In my opinion, having tried the newer versions there is almost nothing I need to do that Photoshop 7.0 won't do for me. That being said, I am going to do the upgrade.

Does it get annoying when people ask you for sigs? That is a loaded question. I don't get asked too much now a days (seems that a ton of people on this site are good enough at PS to do there own, which is very cool and creates great competition in the monthly contests.) The annoying part is when someone with 100 posts asks for a siggy, you make one and then you'll never see them again. I think that is the reason I only make sigs for longtime members now.

TheAnswer385
04-13-2006, 01:18 AM
Learning it is actually not to tough. It is the same as anything, practice and experimentation make you better. There are mulitple tutorial programs out there that teach the basics.

The cost is up to you. I bought Photoshop 7.0 when it first came out (don't ask what I paid but, I did get a major discount through school). In my opinion, having tried the newer versions there is almost nothing I need to do that Photoshop 7.0 won't do for me. That being said, I am going to do the upgrade.

Does it get annoying when people ask you for sigs? That is a loaded question. I don't get asked too much now a days (seems that a ton of people on this site are good enough at PS to do there own, which is very cool and creates great competition in the monthly contests.) The annoying part is when someone with 100 posts asks for a siggy, you make one and then you'll never see them again. I think that is the reason I only make sigs for longtime members now.:yes: