PDA

View Full Version : TechTV Thread

SKing29
04-11-2006, 12:43 PM
I was sitting around today and thinking of a thread that I could start and one thing that stuck in my mind is that I would like to get some thoughts on the long gone but fondly remembered TechTV. Of course we all know that G4 has taken over the former TechTV and has basically dumbed it down to popular video game culture (I do play video games however) and has taken away all of the hardcore computer programming such as The Screen Savers (I don't even want to think about, what that show has turned into (Attack of the Show)), and Call for Help two of my favorites. Well, Call for Help still exists in Canada and tried to make a comeback here but didn't work, but thanks to podcasting we still get tech information from the good ole TechTV folks, such as Leo, Patrick, Kevin (Rose), Yoshi, and others. I may be alone on this topic of nerd-dom but I would like to hear if anyone else remembers TechTV and if any of you have any favorite memories of the channel. Such as favorite shows, hosts, etc.

byroan
04-11-2006, 12:45 PM
I remember Call for Help. Some people would call for the stupidest problems. I watched that and the Screen Savers.

SKing29
04-11-2006, 12:57 PM
Another show that I forgot to mention is one that still exists on G4 today and has maintained a lot of what it was on TechTV (although it is branching off into some strange comedy sketches, which some are quite funny) and that show would be Extended Play now called XPLAY. One other show that I miss is Unscrewed with Martin Sargent, that was a great show that I really miss. Well, I just wanted to include those two.

Majpain
04-11-2006, 01:19 PM
G4 bought tech tv to elimnate competition and for the name.G4 has ruined everything that Tech tv made.Slowly over 2 years they got rid of the most popular shows that tech tv made.For christ sakes they show reruns of the man show.G4 fails : /

dQbell
04-11-2006, 01:33 PM
G4 is a disgrace to gamers. It is intended for the 'pop" audience and lacks anything of value.

TJamesW_phinfan
04-11-2006, 02:29 PM
I like Xplay mainly because of Morgan Web but I miss Screen Savers and Unscrewed. G4 did ruin what was TechTV

SKing29
04-11-2006, 03:03 PM
I think that the greatest disgrace G4 has done to TechTV is what it has done to the ScreenSavers. I mean Attack of the Show is awful, it has some of the stupidest things I've ever seen on a television show. I watched the show up until Kevin Rose left, and after that I just check in from time to time to see what the new Kevin (Kevin P or something they call him) is doing to act like he's funny. I gave up on even checking in on the show a long time ago, and I can't believe the girl (Sarah) from the ScreenSavers stayed on the show. So I believe Adam Sessler, Morgan Webb, and Sarah (don't know the last name) are the last three TechTV employees left on G4. Oh well this is just another rant on how I miss TechTV.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
04-11-2006, 03:13 PM
techtv was awesome. what they have now is just....yeah, horrible. extended play was great long before someone whispered in adam's ear that he should attempt to be funny. and morgan webb....ugh. don't even get me started on what they did to the screensavers.

UltraDol-Fan
04-11-2006, 04:01 PM
I like Street Fury :hide:

Majpain
04-11-2006, 05:17 PM
G4 is to video games as MTV is to Music

dQbell
04-11-2006, 05:40 PM
G4 is to video games as MTV is to Music

Exactly.

SKing29
04-11-2006, 09:10 PM
The problem is with MTV you have another option in Fuse and there may be others but with G4 you have no other options. Oh well thats how television is today it has to appeal to the younger generations (although I'm 18 some of the crap on tv is even to ridiculous for me). As for Street Fury that someone mentioned earlier, I don't see how it even fits into G4 seeing how G4 is supposed to be a video game channel (and thats not saying that its a studpid show or that you're wrong for watching, I'm just saying that it doesn't fit with G4 and further demonstrates how G4 was to be mainstream, I'm not insulting you or anything I am just making an observation).