PDA

View Full Version : Music: Anyone heard of Matisyahu?

ladeback
04-12-2006, 04:14 AM
Hey guys. Kinda bored obiviously.... Just wanted to know if anyone has heard of Matisyahu. If you like reggae or calm, good vibe music give him a listen. Kinda an interesting dude cuz he sings reggae style but he's jewish...beard, yamica(sp?) and all... Anyone else heard of this guy?

Slappy8800
04-12-2006, 04:15 AM
yea heard of him...weird stuff...not my thing

ladeback
04-12-2006, 04:24 AM

I can understand that. I hear it a lot. Why do u think that though?

ladeback
04-12-2006, 04:26 AM
it's pretty much weird all together

Slappy8800
04-12-2006, 04:26 AM
ive listened to reggae for awhile....and i just dont dig his stuff...im not one for spiritual music

King Nate
04-12-2006, 04:36 AM

:yeahthat:

He's going to be at Lollapalooza though and I'm going so I better start liking him. :chuckle:

ladeback
04-12-2006, 04:41 AM
:yeahthat:

He's going to be at Lollapalooza though and I'm going so I better start liking him. :chuckle:

If you like laid back stuff you'll probably dig most of it

Motion
04-12-2006, 06:41 AM
I saw a special on MTV about him the other day but only watched for a couple minutes. Definitely different.

Alex44
04-12-2006, 06:52 AM
He's pretty good I like him, Its a change from a lot of the stuff they play

Quelonio
04-12-2006, 10:30 AM
I saw them at Bowery Ballroom last year. I love them I got both live at the Stubbs and Stand up... Arise. He is awesome

King with out a Crown and Chop 'em down are my favorite.

Noodle Arm
04-12-2006, 10:50 AM
I listened to the Stubbs album and with the exception of 1 or 2 songs (King Without a Crown being the highlight), I found it to be a repetetive bore...but I feel that way about most reggae, I can only take it in small doses before it all starts to sound the same.

Spray Mucus
04-12-2006, 11:35 AM
Matisyahu is decent dancehall reggae. Of corse there is better stuff out there. If you do listen to his lyrics he does sing about his religion.

but this guy is Jewish X100... I'm not saying that as a racial thing but, you kinda say "Whaaaaaa" when you see his picture and then listen to his music.

Kinda like the our first reaction to Emenim when he first came out.

Quelonio
04-12-2006, 11:44 AM
I wouldn't necessarily classify him as Dancehall, unless I have a really different idea of what dancehall is... I mean I thought Buju Banton, Elephant Man, Damien Marley, maybe even shaggy where dance hall, matisyahu does not really sound like that.

Spray Mucus
04-12-2006, 02:32 PM
I wouldn't necessarily classify him as Dancehall, unless I have a really different idea of what dancehall is... I mean I thought Buju Banton, Elephant Man, Damien Marley, maybe even shaggy where dance hall, matisyahu does not really sound like that.

That's who I wuold lump dancehall into as well.

I thought his sound was more Dancehall than your Peter Tosh/Marley sound.

I'm not a reggae aficianato so I may be out of my element here. :confused2:

Roman529
04-12-2006, 03:03 PM
Yeah I saw his video...I am more into old school Bob Marley reggae,,,,,like "No Woman, No Cry."

Quelonio
04-12-2006, 03:45 PM
That's who I wuold lump dancehall into as well.

I thought his sound was more Dancehall than your Peter Tosh/Marley sound.

I'm not a reggae aficianato so I may be out of my element here. :confused2:

Well if you've only had the chance to hear king without a crown then yes, he is a little closer to that, but overall he is more of a regular reggae guy who sings in yiddish