PDA

View Full Version : Passover begins tonight/HAPPY PASSOVER!

Miamian
04-12-2006, 06:27 AM
Tonight begins the festival of Passover, called Pesach in Hebrew. Many of you are probably aware but, if you're not, it's the remembrance of the Exodus from Egypt.

Leading up to the holiday we have to rid our homes of all traces of regular, non-Passover flour and leavening. I procrastinated and have to finish this afternoon. But, I have a few hours to do that. Tonight we have a special dinner called a Seder when we drink four cups of wine and eat different ceremonial foods. It's probably the most ritualistic holiday in the calendar.

From this evening until the holiday ends a week from Thursday, we cannot eat anything made with non-Passover flour or leavening. Ashkenazis also don't eat products that can be milled into flour including rice, barley, groundnuts, corn, and one more I can't remember right now.

First-born males, and I'm one, also fast during the day before the first evening.

פסח כשר ושמח
Happy, Kosher Passover

Miamian
04-12-2006, 09:41 AM
Oops, made some mistakes here. I was supposed to have finished the cleaning and burned the remaining chametz last night. Oh well, I'll know for next year.

http://judaism.about.com/c/ht/00/07/How_Search_For_Chametz0962934334.htm

The Rev
04-12-2006, 10:14 AM
Happy Passover brother.
Beautiful tradition.

PassRush
04-12-2006, 10:26 AM
When I first read the title I thought it had my name in it. I bring nothing to the table and know nothing of passover. I do hope you guys enjoy it, though

Miamian
04-12-2006, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the wishes guys. I'm shutting off shortly and can't use my computer for the first day, so thanks in advance to anyone else.

Quelonio
04-12-2006, 11:27 AM
happy passover!

NaboCane
04-12-2006, 04:30 PM
Miamian, when you come back check out this article; (which, being from Miami you may have already seen online) it tells the story of Temple Moses on Miami Beach, a Sephardic Temple.

I read this before seeing your thread, or I would've tried to post it sooner.

Happy Passover my friend.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/local/14321002.htm?source=yahoodist&content=mia_news

Cuban Jews' rituals aim to preserve a unique heritage

Members of Temple Moses, Miami's only Cuban Sephardic congregation, are passing their unique Passover traditions on to the next generation.

BY ALEXANDRA ALTER

Back in Havana, they prayed in a cramped sanctuary above a downtown warehouse where grocers sold rice and onions. They sang songs from the old country in Ladino -- a blend of Spanish and Hebrew -- and chanted ancient prayers superimposed onto Turkish melodies.

On Passover, they fried leeks with cheese and matzo meal, a traditional Turkish Sephardic dish, and told the story of the Israelites' flight from slavery in Egypt 3,300 years ago.

The story reminded them of their ancestors' exodus more than five centuries ago, when they fled from Spain to Turkey to escape the Inquisition in 1492. Later, they were uprooted again, leaving Turkey for Cuba to escape the ruins of World War I.

Today, when members of Temple Moses, a Miami Beach Sephardic congregation made up mostly of Cuban Jews of Turkish ancestry, celebrate the start of Passover, they also will be nurturing hopes of keeping their traditions alive.....

A Wing Pilot
04-12-2006, 05:48 PM
Happy Pasover to all my hebrew brethren!!!! Enjoy getting sloshed on wine and pounding down some matzah!!!

Miamian
04-13-2006, 02:52 PM
Thanks again guys and a special toda raba to NaboCane. I really enjoyed the article. Having been to a couple of Sephardic synagogues I can attest that it's much different from what I'm used to and at times I felt lost there.
Aside from that I'm wondering if Rav Benchimol was in my Hebrew class in Miami? There was a Mr. Benchimol who incidentally was at different times my Spanish and French teacher.

Roman529
04-13-2006, 02:57 PM
Happy Passover Brother...and a Happy Easter to everyone on Sunday....honey ham and mustard. :eating:

Maynard the Hammer
04-13-2006, 03:07 PM
passover is a good day of remembrance for chrisitians and jews . its great stuff and strengthens your faith

tucker
04-13-2006, 03:11 PM
man, i went to legal seafoods last nite and didnt even have to wait for a table..lol..yall can keep having these holidays