PDA

View Full Version : Anyone get MLB 2K6 yet?

Pagan
04-12-2006, 07:07 AM
Didn't get to play it much last night, but MAN are there a ton of buttons to memorize! :lol:

The game looks amazing on XBox 360! :up:

PeaTearGriffin
04-12-2006, 10:13 AM
Didn't get to play it much last night, but MAN are there a ton of buttons to memorize! :lol:

The game looks amazing on XBox 360! :up:

i hope i can pick up sometime tonight, can't wait, i hear the stadiums look great

mor911
04-12-2006, 10:29 AM
The Mor also wants to purchase this game ASAP. Need money.

So, you boys looking for a good time?

Pagan
04-12-2006, 11:02 AM
IMO, the BEST new feature is that when chasing down a fly ball or a pop up, you have to call off the other fielders! If you run into another fielder, you both hit the turf and the ball rolls away!

Laughed my *** off last night when I saw that!

mor911
04-12-2006, 11:20 AM
Been reading up on it, and the reader reviews are pretty bad at Gamespot. IGN only gave it a 7 (low for IGN).

Someone do a full review

Pagan
04-12-2006, 12:05 PM
In it's defense - and I don't know cause I haven't played it in full yet - the reviews are for the XBox version, not the 360.

dQbell
04-12-2006, 02:45 PM
In it's defense - and I don't know cause I haven't played it in full yet - the reviews are for the XBox version, not the 360.

Well, IGN's 360 review is up and it is a 7.0. The guy who reviewed it is Jonathan Miller. He gave Fight Night 3 an 8.5. I thought that was very high for that game. The only guy I trust right now at IGN is their 360 editor Douglas C. Perry.

I put it in my gamefly Q and it should be here soon. I'm really looking forward to it. I'm hearing mixed reviews on different boards etc.

Pagan, can you give us a breakdown on what you think of it?

PeaTearGriffin
04-12-2006, 04:57 PM
Been reading up on it, and the reader reviews are pretty bad at Gamespot. IGN only gave it a 7 (low for IGN).

Someone do a full review

The thing that worries me about the reader reviews is half of the people are just mad that MVP isn't coming out. However, the IGN review does worry me.

Pagan
04-12-2006, 05:03 PM
Pagan, can you give us a breakdown on what you think of it?
I'm going to play it in more depth tonight. I'll let you know tomorrow. :wink:

mor911
04-12-2006, 05:43 PM
The thing that worries me about the reader reviews is half of the people are just mad that MVP isn't coming out. However, the IGN review does worry me.
The Mor usually pays no attention to reader reviews, but the sheer number of them is what made me pay attention.

PeaTearGriffin
04-12-2006, 08:56 PM
The Mor usually pays no attention to reader reviews, but the sheer number of them is what made me pay attention.

I normally don't read them, and for sports games i don't even look at them because using madden as an example people just hate on it because of no 2k6. However for games like GRAW, if i haven't decided about buying it or not, if it has a good amount of reviews and has a good score i tend to buy it. Of course thats only if im interested in the game and can't decide wheater to buy it just forget about it.

Slappy8800
04-12-2006, 09:32 PM
my friend got it for the 360 and hes a big baseball fan...says its alright..he has had some freezing problems tho..anyone else get that?

Phins28
04-12-2006, 09:39 PM
my friend got it for the 360 and hes a big baseball fan...says its alright..he has had some freezing problems tho..anyone else get that?

Here's an article on the freezing problem
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/701/701506p1.html

Slappy8800
04-13-2006, 01:49 AM
friend says the graphics are crappy...worse than the PS2 version to quote him

Pagan
04-13-2006, 10:10 AM
friend says the graphics are crappy...worse than the PS2 version to quote him
Your friend's insane. :lol:

Okay, I played a few games last night...here's my take.

The graphics are great in some instances, mediocre in others. The ballparks look AMAZING. Attention to detail ius outstanding. When a foul ball is hit into the stands, you see individual fans actually reaching to catch the ball while others who are out of range stand and strain to watch. Incredible.

The player models are very good. The only problem I have with them is that sometimes there's some clipping in the movements. When the 3rd baseman fields a grounder and throws to first, sometimes the throw is a little jumpy.

As far as gameplay. Excellent.

You now have the option - if you play career mode - to buy scouting reports on opposing teams. If you do that, for the first time in a baseball game the catcher is an integral part of gameplay. He will call the pitches for you. He'll call both the pitch and the location. You have the option of throwing the pitch called or waving it off.

When a runner steals, you switch to the catcher's first person view, and can actually pinpoint where you want to throw. A GREAT touch. Same thing happens for a pickoff throw. Switches the view and you can opt to generically throw to the base or pinpoint throw.

When batting, you can make a guess where the pitch will be. If you're correct, the ball will appear in the strike zone and your chances of hitting it increase. It's similar to the passing cone in Madden. The better the hitter, the bigger the range circle of your guess is. Nice touch.

You use the right joystick to hit. Pull it back and release it and you hit grounders or line drives. Pull back and then push forward and you swing for the fences. More control is always good. You also have the option of just pressing buttons to swing.

The best thing about hitting is that it is SO timing-based. When the pitcher goes into his motion, your pulling back the joystick starts the batter's step. Too early or too late and your swing won't be as effective. There's a learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty cool.

Pitching is almost the same as MVP was last year. In short, excellent.

The one thing I really liked about the game was that it didn't have that rushed "arcadey" feel to it. The movements and flow of the game were very fluid, adding more to the realism of it.

Fielding is the only thing gameplay-wise I have a problem with. Throws to bases are pressure sensitive, but unlike MVP I don't feel like I have total control of the throws. More often than not I find myself not throwing hard enough for fear of committing a throwing error.

Diving and leaping are also problems as far as timing is concerned.

Other than that I find the game VERY enjoyable! You have the home run derby, career mode, GM mode, and the World Baseball Classic. Many, MANY options. There's a "create-a-player" mode, but not a "create-a-team".

All and all, I give it a 7.5 out of 10. If they took care of the fielding glitches, I'd give it an 8 or 8.5.

VERY enjoyable IMO...and since it's the ONLY MLB game available, that's a good thing.

dQbell
04-13-2006, 01:48 PM
Your friend's insane. :lol:

Okay, I played a few games last night...here's my take.

The graphics are great in some instances, mediocre in others. The ballparks look AMAZING. Attention to detail ius outstanding. When a foul ball is hit into the stands, you see individual fans actually reaching to catch the ball while others who are out of range stand and strain to watch. Incredible.

The player models are very good. The only problem I have with them is that sometimes there's some clipping in the movements. When the 3rd baseman fields a grounder and throws to first, sometimes the throw is a little jumpy.

As far as gameplay. Excellent.

You now have the option - if you play career mode - to buy scouting reports on opposing teams. If you do that, for the first time in a baseball game the catcher is an integral part of gameplay. He will call the pitches for you. He'll call both the pitch and the location. You have the option of throwing the pitch called or waving it off.

When a runner steals, you switch to the catcher's first person view, and can actually pinpoint where you want to throw. A GREAT touch. Same thing happens for a pickoff throw. Switches the view and you can opt to generically throw to the base or pinpoint throw.

When batting, you can make a guess where the pitch will be. If you're correct, the ball will appear in the strike zone and your chances of hitting it increase. It's similar to the passing cone in Madden. The better the hitter, the bigger the range circle of your guess is. Nice touch.

You use the right joystick to hit. Pull it back and release it and you hit grounders or line drives. Pull back and then push forward and you swing for the fences. More control is always good. You also have the option of just pressing buttons to swing.

The best thing about hitting is that it is SO timing-based. When the pitcher goes into his motion, your pulling back the joystick starts the batter's step. Too early or too late and your swing won't be as effective. There's a learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty cool.

Pitching is almost the same as MVP was last year. In short, excellent.

The one thing I really liked about the game was that it didn't have that rushed "arcadey" feel to it. The movements and flow of the game were very fluid, adding more to the realism of it.

Fielding is the only thing gameplay-wise I have a problem with. Throws to bases are pressure sensitive, but unlike MVP I don't feel like I have total control of the throws. More often than not I find myself not throwing hard enough for fear of committing a throwing error.

Diving and leaping are also problems as far as timing is concerned.

Other than that I find the game VERY enjoyable! You have the home run derby, career mode, GM mode, and the World Baseball Classic. Many, MANY options. There's a "create-a-player" mode, but not a "create-a-team".

All and all, I give it a 7.5 out of 10. If they took care of the fielding glitches, I'd give it an 8 or 8.5.

VERY enjoyable IMO...and since it's the ONLY MLB game available, that's a good thing.

Thanks Pagan. I have the game coming to me via Gamefly, so I look forward to it. Have you had any freezing problems? I've seen many comments about the game freezing during play.

Pagan
04-13-2006, 05:46 PM
Thanks Pagan. I have the game coming to me via Gamefly, so I look forward to it. Have you had any freezing problems? I've seen many comments about the game freezing during play.
None yet, but I've only played it for a few hours. I'll let you know if it happens.

Slappy8800
04-14-2006, 10:34 PM
finally played it tonight....wow what a peice of crap game. the fielding is so rough its not even funny. graphics are poor for supposed next gen game. hitting is so so, dont really care for it.

i miss MVP :(

mor911
04-15-2006, 08:51 AM
The Mor wasted $7 renting this game from Hollywood video. I hated it. It is a complete step backwards for the series. Sega Sports is usually on top of crap, but I guess when you have the single lisence for a league, you can do it EA style. What other options do MLB fans have?

PeaTearGriffin
04-15-2006, 10:58 AM
i haven't even finished 1 game yet, it freezes every single time i play it. :tantrum:

Slappy8800
04-15-2006, 02:31 PM
The Mor wasted $7 renting this game from Hollywood video. I hated it. It is a complete step backwards for the series. Sega Sports is usually on top of crap, but I guess when you have the single lisence for a league, you can do it EA style. What other options do MLB fans have?

MLB 06 for PS2 is a rather good game

Agent51
04-15-2006, 03:46 PM
MLB 06 for PS2 is a rather good game

Is that "The Show" one?

mor911
04-15-2006, 05:10 PM
Is that "The Show" one?
I heard The Show was a great game

Agent51
04-15-2006, 06:17 PM
I heard The Show was a great game

I heard it was good too, but the name "The Show" sounds like it would have a gimicky storyline type thing, like NBA Ballers does, or that one NBA game (might be Ballers) where they have a story driven career mode where wins are scripted and sometimes you will lose no matter what. Does anyone know if MLB The Show has a story driven career mode or if the name is just a name, lol?

Pagan
04-17-2006, 09:42 AM
After a full weekend of playing it, I now have to agree with the general consensus. Alot of choppy animation, and no sense of reallism whatsoever. I haven't played a game yet that didn't finish 13-8 or some other similar score.

Three homers EVERY game for Giambi and A Rod. And controlling fielders is a nightmare.

The ideas they came up with - like the batter interface, pitching engine, pickoff and baserunning - were great, but the execution of the ideas falls flat.

Now I know why the series didn't do so well for any other system. MVP kicked its *** hands down.

Why didn't EA Sports grab the licensing for MLB like they did for the NFL?

UCFinfan86
04-17-2006, 11:27 AM
maybe it wasn't as good an investment for them as madden was. EVERYBODY buys madden they proably sell twice as much copies of madden so maybe for the amount of money the MLB wanted for the license they just stuck with the NFL. Plus BTW NCAA Baseball 06 is a GREAT game and i love it because its the same thing as MLB except i get to recruit and play with my college team