PDA

View Full Version : If anyone likes wrestling...

WelcomeBack
04-13-2006, 02:51 AM
I just broke into the indy wrestling scene.

Well, I've been training somewhat, out here in L.A. and I wasn't REAL happy with my first indy match, but felt good during my second one. Let me know what you guys think. And please give constructive criticism. I'm the big guy in the red shirt.

Match 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ9tC1OcGxo

Match 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhBsfh-payE

TheAnswer385
04-13-2006, 02:53 AM
i will check it out

WelcomeBack
04-13-2006, 02:54 AM
Thanks.

FinsNCanes
04-13-2006, 02:59 AM
Is it real or fake? Cause it looked fake. I honestley can'st stand the WWF/WWE whatever it is now. Although if you can make money doing it..knock yourself out.

:cooldude:

TheAnswer385
04-13-2006, 03:02 AM
prety good looks like you worked hard at it. The 2nd fight looked too rehearsed at the start but other than that nice job man.

WelcomeBack
04-13-2006, 03:04 AM
Well yes, it was rehearsed. I think with the second fight, the reasons it looked that way is because we did that same sequence before in another fed. So, it was real easy to pull off.

Slappy8800
04-13-2006, 03:08 AM
wow....u move good for a big guy...nice work

WelcomeBack
04-13-2006, 03:09 AM
Thanks. And yea, I train a lot to be able to do what I do :).

Slappy8800
04-13-2006, 03:10 AM
looks to be paying off...good luck in your venture

WelcomeBack
04-13-2006, 03:16 AM
Thanks for the encouragement.

WelcomeBack
04-13-2006, 04:19 AM
I know JT also likes wrestling, so I hope to get some feedback from him and any other wrestling fans.

The Rev
04-13-2006, 07:59 AM
Not bad brother, keep up the hard work, It'll pay off. :wink:

MoFinz
04-13-2006, 11:00 AM
Thats pretty impressive. You sold well for him and made sure you protected in the high spots. Nice agility for a big man. Work on your stamina and pace your matches a little more, sell the shoot.

Keep working, its the best education for you. And good luck. Please keep us updated. Hell, you could be the next Samoa Joe

In_Flames
04-13-2006, 11:49 AM
nice work there WelcomeBack, thanks for sharing & keep us updated...:wink:

WelcomeBack
04-13-2006, 02:29 PM
Thanks for all the feedback :)

Maynard the Hammer
04-13-2006, 02:39 PM
you move pretty well for a portly fellow. you sold the moves well. i liked the finishing move a lot. the powerbomb just before that would have been better a lot if you had grabbed a hold of his legs or hips

WelcomeBack
04-13-2006, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the feedback. And that powerbomb was a reversal of sorts. He was going for a second hurricanrana, and I caught him and just sat down with him as a reversal.

Maynard the Hammer
04-13-2006, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the feedback. And that powerbomb was a reversal of sorts. He was going for a second hurricanrana, and I caught him and just sat down with him as a reversal.yeah it was cool. i like that move. a move like that can be a match changer. if you had caught him around the hips and held him for a split second, it would look devastating. it was sort of all in one motion, but it was still cool!

WelcomeBack
04-13-2006, 02:57 PM
Thanks. I'm actually working on a compilation music vid for all of my best stuff. When I have that, I will post it for you guys. I just gotta let my friend know what clips I want and he will make the vid.

FinFan72
04-13-2006, 02:58 PM
The second match was alot better and i really liked your finishing move

WelcomeBack
04-13-2006, 03:01 PM
Thank you. Yea, the first match was my first indy match ever, so I was a lot more nervous then.

Buddwalk
04-13-2006, 03:04 PM
Thank you. Yea, the first match was my first indy match ever, so I was a lot more nervous then.

Not bad man the 2nd one was aot better...I'd actually trim up on the weight though you look a little big and maybe not lose weight but convert it all to muscle, cause those guys in the wwe are humongous

WelcomeBack
04-13-2006, 03:06 PM
Not bad man the 2nd one was aot better...I'd actually trim up on the weight though you look a little big and maybe not lose weight but convert it all to muscle, cause those guys in the wwe are humongous

Yea, that is something that I've been working on. However, believe it or not, my dream is not to get to WWE. I'd rather be somewhere in TNA and being able to travel the world and U.S. working indy feds.

WelcomeBack
04-13-2006, 07:13 PM
Anyone else got feedback?

Samphin
04-13-2006, 09:04 PM
Anyone else got feedback?

Having been a professional wrestler myself, I am glad someone else on here is doing it. I have to say, I only watched the first match. Reason being is that I wanted to critique some things that wrestling "fans" may not have seen but my trained eye did. Anyhow, I wanted to make sure the thoughts were still fresh before doing so.

First off, you do move very well for your size. Agility is something that is learned to some degree but you have a natural ability as well. You also seem to know the basics which is very good and a lost art.

Now, a few things to improve on in my opinion. When you tie up in the beginning, you look very tentative. It almost makes it look like you don't know what you are doing and aren't confident. however, I was the same way in my first match and that gets better over time. Also, when you guys are establishing your chain wrestling at the beginning (with the reversals and armlocks etc.) be sure to sell the move slightly longer.

Trust me, it sounds nit picky and I know time is always a factor, ut the ability to sell a wristlock as a legit move is part of a greater story. I don't mean that you start screaming out in pain or anything. But, when someone puts you in a side headlock, take a second to let the audience soak it in, digest it and realize what move you are in. If you are able to get out of it within a split second it ultimately looks like two guys rehearsing a dance number and less of a battle between to gladiators.

Overall, though, it brought back good memories for me. Almost makes me wish I was still doing it!

Samphin
04-13-2006, 09:22 PM
Ok, onto the second match. Still some of the same things. Great agility, seem to know your basics pretty well. I don'tknow about your partner there though. I can't tell if it is you or him, but someone is missing their mark a bit. In both matches he seemed to work a tad sloppy, which happens on the indy circuit, but always scares me. I am a frim believer that wrestlers shouldn't do any of the higher risk stuff without first mastering the basics.

One thing I do want to point out though, don't tyr to sell a move just because you worked it out ahead of time. For instance, in the first match, your opponent came off the ropes with a bad headscissors takedown. You were on one knee and he barely made contact with you, let alone enough to make it look believable for you to go over. It is one of my biggest pet peeves that even the top wrestlers do. They sell a move because they are supposed as opposed to what is actually taking place.

If you haven't seen it, go find the semi finals to the Super J Cup between Jushin Liger and the Great Sasuke. Sasuke botches the finish and Liger points and laughs and tries to take advantage. That is believable and realistic. Had he attempted to save face, it would have look awful. I would have never rolled over for that one move is all I am saying, I would have just acted like he messed it up and moved on from there. Spacing on dropkicks and whatnot looked like an issue too, but that comes in time. No worries there.

However, your fisherman's suplex/swinging neckbreaker finsher is pretty darn impressive. I cannot remember a time where I have seen it at that type of angle. Kudos to that. Also, I am a sucker for any type of back/spine/gut buster with use of the knee, which you used so yowza to that too. Anytime a guy your size pulls of a shining wizard works for me too.

I don't know where you want to go with this, but I think an offense centered around kicks might work for you. You are thick enough and agile enough to make it work and look devastating. Throw in a few throws and suplexes on top of that and you have a legit offense.

Overall, I think you have an excellent jumping off point. I would tell you and your partner in this case, to slow down a bit. You both seem anxious to get to the next move instead of enjoying the current move you are doing. I think what makes a great match it one that tells a story as opposed to throwing a bunch of moves out there for a wow factor.

Overall though, I liked it. :)

dQbell
04-13-2006, 10:08 PM
After watching that I got an idea of how difficult it is to pull that off. Looks like you are doing a great job. I think it did look a little too choreographed at some points, but all in all, it looked good.

good luck

WelcomeBack
04-14-2006, 01:39 AM
Thanks guys. And thank you Samphin. I've seen you post so much and never knew you were a wrestler before...glad you liked it.

Jt0323
04-14-2006, 01:57 AM
I know JT also likes wrestling, so I hope to get some feedback from him and any other wrestling fans.
wow, for a beginner you did pretty good, the last move u did in the 2nd one was sick! keep up the good work! and keep posting vid of ur matchs! nice work!!

WelcomeBack
04-14-2006, 02:13 AM
Thanks JT. Technically, I've been wrestling in-ring since December of 2004, but it's a very small fed with friends. I just trained recently with guys from a fed called Pro Wrestling Guerrilla. I love chain wrestling and all, but I'm more used to spot wrestling. Which is why I would love to make it to ROH.

Samphin
04-14-2006, 12:20 PM
Thanks JT. Technically, I've been wrestling in-ring since December of 2004, but it's a very small fed with friends. I just trained recently with guys from a fed called Pro Wrestling Guerrilla. I love chain wrestling and all, but I'm more used to spot wrestling. Which is why I would love to make it to ROH.

PWG is a good fed. They don't take themselves too seriously but they put on decent shows. If your goals are to get to ROH, PWG is the right way to go in my opinion. They seem to be a feeding ground to ROH and vice versa.

As you said, ROH tends to have a lot of "spots" that pop the crowd but its not really anything that resonates with them. They might chant holy S#!T! over and over but they won't remember much about it come the next match since everyone seems to play a game of can you top this.

Personally, I love chain wrestling and building up to a couple of big spots. It makes those spots seem more "special" and memorable. That is one thing ECW never got about the blood aspect. Everyone would bleed like a stuck pig to show how "extreme" it was. Meanwhile, everyone remembers Austin pouring buckets of blood and passing out against Bret Hart. It was a one time thing, but they built it up perfectly and made people care about it.

That is my philosophy with wrestling in general. Heck, if you do it right, you can make a move like a DDT look devastating and a believable finisher as opposed to just a transition move. Ring presence and psychology is what seems to be lacking. Again, it comes with time and quite frankly, it is almost impossible to do on the indy level since it is hard to have episodic wrestling.

Like I said though, I liked it. :)

WelcomeBack
04-14-2006, 11:47 PM
Here are a few more vids that I thought I would share. They have more of the spotfest feel as they are not indy feds.

March 2006
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeddS1pWqoo

January 2006
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gWIHsxBjUQ

November 2005
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnuruj5w4LQ

July 2005
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc_CprBK6PE

If you have any questions of match type, which one I am or anything like that, just ask.

wazzy
04-15-2006, 12:11 AM
Welcome back you looked impressive had some creative moves! You move really well for your size and show good strength keep it up man!

WelcomeBack
04-15-2006, 12:22 AM
Thanks for the kind words.

WelcomeBack
04-16-2006, 12:13 AM
Anyone got feedback on these other vids I posted?

Jt0323
04-16-2006, 12:18 AM
Anyone got feedback on these other vids I posted?
im goona check them out now! hopefully my internet lets me, its been going real slow :mad:

WelcomeBack
04-16-2006, 12:18 AM
It's cool...I'm not in a rush or anything...I just like being critiqued. I also have events coming up on the 22nd and 30th.

WelcomeBack
05-03-2006, 04:14 PM
Here's a new vid of my fed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi7pEt5AIUc