PDA

View Full Version : Another Computer Question

Dajesus
03-08-2003, 07:12 PM
I just signed up for a DSL, and the guy said my signal was hitting so hard that I wasn't getting an ethernet hook up to the modem. That the modem would be connected thru the phone line. Does anyone know if this is a good idea? Wouldn't an ehter net connection be faster no matter how strong my signal was?

Chauncey
03-08-2003, 07:31 PM
DSL connects to the phone line (RJ11 phone jack) on one side of the DSL modem and to ethernet (RJ45 data jack) on the other side.

Your compter sends/receives ethernet packets to your lan/network card on your PC & the modem sends/receives DSL packets over your telephone line. You can't have one without the other.

Dajesus
03-08-2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Chauncey
DSL connects to the phone line (RJ11 phone jack) on one side of the DSL modem and to ethernet (RJ45 data jack) on the other side.

Your compter sends/receives ethernet packets to your lan/network card on your PC & the modem sends/receives DSL packets over your telephone line. You can't have one without the other.

Oh i figured there was ethernet jack that plugged into the phone jack. I knew the ehternet went from the modem to the computer.

Dajesus
03-08-2003, 07:39 PM
on a side not if anyone else is sick od slow dial up sprint is running a great deal on DSL right now. You get a free modem,3 months for 24.95, a choice between a free DVD player or a $50 visa gift card(you must ask for this they wont give it to you unless you say you saw the add), and a $50 call in rebate. The $50 call in rebate cancells out the 45 activation fee, but the installation is done for free by you.

WeVie
07-30-2011, 04:12 AM
Boy this guys was confused about some DSL huh. OK, that's enough backtracking for tonight.