PDA

View Full Version : Help Please...Cell Phone Company Issue...

Prime Time
04-13-2006, 09:43 PM
Hey guys, I need help/advice. Now I am pretty stuck on my phone. Like I am one of those people that without a phone has a very slow, hard day. Okay so here we go...

A month ago, I bought a phone from this website. The website I am guessing is linked to T-Mobile because they have a Special Offer on the Sidekick 2. I don't know If you are familiar with the phone but It is a nice phone, expensive too. The offer was a free Sidekick, all I had to do was pay the S&H, the monthly bill which was (50.00), and I payed an extra 50 for a year worth of insurance. The part also said I would have to pay a 110 deductible If I were to get a new phone. The deal also included a contract for one year..12 months. So I bought the phone, got it in Mid-March. I've had the phone and I have no complaints. There are no flaws, nothing wrong with it.

Yesterday I went to the beach with some friends. On the way home, we stopped by to grab something to eat. I like to keep my car clean, so I made everyone eat outside of the car when we parked. My friend started going through my phone, looking at the features etc. She then placed it on top of my car. When we finished eating, I drove off not knowing the phone was on top. I realized it 5 minutes later. Too late. I went back and looked for it but no luck. I called it and even now when I call it goes straight to the Voice Mail, so I am not worried about someone using up my minutes.

So I was upset and I got home and I call the company at their -- we'll call it the 800 number, and some guy named Brian picks up, he tells me to call the 888 number. So I call and this girl picks up. I tell Jenny (the lady that picked up) what happened and she said Okay. I will send you an email but I don't have it with me, my boss does. So I will send it early tommorow morning and we'll talk tommorow. I called at 4:30...and they close at 5. Open at 9.

So today I wake up early, and I have no email. I call the 888 number at 9 30 and noone picks up, I just keep getting the voice recorder. So I call the 800 number and Brian picks up. I talk to him and tell him what is going on, and he tells me that I have to call the other number etc. I tell him I have and noone picks up. He tells me the lady just walked in, and that people do have lives. I told him it is 9:50, almost ten, If you are getting payed to work 9-5..work 9-5. He tells me that he'll connect me. He connects me to Jenny. I talk to her and she says that her boss is at a meeting and that as soon as he'd get out she'd send me the email that I have to fill out. I get no email still...it is now 12:00. So I call her back at the 888 number and I got the voice recorder again! I call numerous times and non-stop voice recording comes up. I clal the 800 number and some other girl picks up instead of Brian, we'll call her Christina. I explain to her what happened. I tell her what is going on with Jenny, is she at a lunch break or something? She says Yes she is. I wait till 2 and still no luck. I call Christina and she tells me that all I can do is leave a message, and I tell her that I need my phone by next week because I am going out of town and it is a need to have my phone. So she takes down my info...and tells me hold on, I guess I had bothered her enough so she puts me on hold for 5 minutes. After the 5, she says, I talked to Jenny and she says they are going to send you a new phone. I said I don't have to fill anything out? She says no. I say ok thanks.

I forgot to mention I had asked Jenny and Brian If I had to pay 110 for a deductible and they said no because I have in surance.

It still didn't seem right to me. I call Jenny, and I get all voice mail. I call Christina around 4:00 to make sure that there is no paper work that needs to be filled out. She says no that they've already told me that they will send me a new phone. I told her I was sorry for being a pest, I just need the phone. She said they would send it....I asked her how many days she said 3-4 business days. I told her okay, and then she said If it isnt there by next Thursday to call back. I told her thanks.

Now, I talked to my friend who BOUGHT the same phone from a diffrent little branch company and he said his company (Note; different little company) told him the same thing about him not having to pay. Then they called him sayin he had to pay 110-120 something along those lines. And I am yet to recieve an email from UPS with the Tracking Order. So I don't know what to do? Do I call back tommorow? What do you guys suggest?

Thanks in advance to everyone who takes the time to help. I know it is a long read...I apologize I just don't know who else to ask. I figured there have to be a few knowledgable FH Family Members that could help. Thanks again.

NaboCane
04-13-2006, 09:54 PM
Damn. I'm sorry for your trouble, but I doubt there's a whole lot you can really affect now...just wait the time they said it would take to get your new phone, and call them back if it doesn't arrive. If they stiff you, try to find out if they are a BBB member and file a complaint; also call your state's Attorney General's fraud division and ask about recourse through them. The AG would probably at least be able to pressure them to get you a new phone, if that's what your contract calls for.

But if the contract calls for a deductible, you're just choice, you'll have to pay, even if they mistakenly told you otherwise. But it sounds like they are working with you, so ride it out. It might be OK yet.

Prime Time
04-13-2006, 09:58 PM
I don't mind paying the deductible. I just need my phone before next Friday If at all possible..and the way they spoke to me didn't leave me too encouraged...thanks again nabo.

NaboCane
04-13-2006, 10:01 PM
Cool. Next time though, try to deal directly with the carrier. Verizon, Cingular, T-mobile, they will honor their contracts without you having to worry about it, and you can just walk into a store with your receipts and contract and they'll pony up on the spot in cases like yours, no waiting for mail.

Well, maybe T-mobile...:wink:

Prime Time
04-13-2006, 10:03 PM
Cool. Next time though, try to deal directly with the carrier. Verizon, Cingular, T-mobile, they will honor their contracts without you having to worry about it, and you can just walk into a store with your receipts and contract and they'll pony up on the spot in cases like yours, no waiting for mail.

Well, maybe T-mobile...:wink:

:lol: Yeah I have learned my lesson. The only reason I bought it from this branch was because the phone was free, and I wouldn't have to cough up 200-300 for it, because of the offer they had.

NaboCane
04-13-2006, 10:06 PM
:lol: Yeah I have learned my lesson. The only reason I bought it from this branch was because the phone was free, and I wouldn't have to cough up 200-300 for it, because of the offer they had.

What kind of phone is it?

Roman529
04-13-2006, 10:06 PM
If you paid for the insurance you should get a new phone without a lot of BS. The other option, and you might not do this unless you have full coverage on your car, is file a police report and say your cell phone was stolen. Then your car insurance might take care of it....a friend of mine left his $400 Meuci pool cue in his Corvette and lost it or had it stolen and reported it and his car insurance company paid to replace it.

Prime Time
04-13-2006, 10:10 PM
What kind of phone is it?

Sidekick II. Includes AIM, Free E-Mail, Unlimited Internet Access, Free Text Messages, Camera Phone w/ Flash.

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Prime Time
04-13-2006, 10:10 PM
If you paid for the insurance you should get a new phone without a lot of BS. The other option, and you might not do this unless you have full coverage on your car, is file a police report and say your cell phone was stolen. Then your car insurance might take care of it....a friend of mine left his $400 Meuci pool cue in his Corvette and lost it or had it stolen and reported it and his car insurance company paid to replace it.

How long would this take though? Thanks Roman.

Roman529
04-13-2006, 10:13 PM
How long would this take though? Thanks Roman.

That would depend on your insurance company....I can't believe the cell phone company is making you have to wait a week or longer for your phone. The other bad thing about filing a police police report, so your car insurance company pays for it, is it could also raise your car insurance rates. :rolleyes2

TotoreMexico
04-13-2006, 10:17 PM
Prime antes que nada, cuelga a tu amiga! hahaha, o al menos que te pague tu telefono, y si lo que te dijo tu amigo es cierto, pues sigueles insistiendo. Espero que no tengas que pagar nada y que te den un telefono nuevo, MUCHA SUERTE PRIME!

Amars
04-13-2006, 10:20 PM
I would call the insurance company if its a seperate company from the phone company.

Prime Time
04-14-2006, 12:47 AM
Thanks guys. Appreciating the help. ( not sounding sarcastic :lol: )...It takes a week to get here because it is in Maryland and I live in Florida. Also, it says it takes ONE day to process orders..so If tommorow I don't have an email from UPS or from them saying it is on its way, I will be blowing up their number again :)

PassRush
04-14-2006, 12:56 AM
Alright, having worked for almost every Cellular provider I can say that your problem could be very simple or very difficult depending on which dealer you went through and how much leverage you have. From the sounds of things you probably dealed with an authorized T-Moble dealer known as TMS. They are a reputable company who I worked for for some time. If it actualy is TMS they will have you covered, though I would expect the deductable, I see no situation in which the deductable would be waived.

If the company does not follow through on their promise to deliver your phone on time you have more than enough grounds to take it to the next level, which would be to deal with T-Mobile directly. Your best source of leverage would be to explain the situation and if they try to give you the runaround, threaten to cancel service, T-Mobile HATE canceling because of the corporate structure they lose a ton of money on canceled service. They will give in and transfer you to what is called the "saves team", their job is to kiss your *** and give you whatever the hell it takes(within reason) for you to maintain service.

On a seperate note, for all those reading this thread, do not let this unfortunate situation deter you from dealers to corporate. There are a few dealers(I wont name names) that are unsavory and should be shut down but most are as good if not better than corporate dealers. I work for a dealer that you would never know the differance, the only one is that we actualy answer the phone durring business hours and we will stay late to help a customer if necesary

I really hope this helps

Prime Time
04-14-2006, 01:01 AM
Pass Rush, If I gave you more specifics via PM do you think you would be able to help me more or give me more advice?

PassRush
04-14-2006, 01:07 AM
Pass Rush, If I gave you more specifics via PM do you think you would be able to help me more or give me more advice?
I would be more than happy to help

Prime Time
04-14-2006, 01:14 AM
You've got PM. :)

Agent51
04-14-2006, 01:54 AM

Not always the case though. When I turned 18 I traded in my first car (you know, the crappy car everyone gets when the first get their license, lol, mine was a 1986 VW Jetta 5spd) and bought a new car (1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse, it was 2002 when I bought it, only 18k miles :D). Since it was new car and I was financing it I needed full coverage. Well, I'm a big car audio guy, so I quickly went to work building a nice system for myself. I had over $6,000 sunk into the system after everything was said and done. I didn't go crazy with PS2s and XBoxes and stuff, but I did have top of the line head unit, 15 band EQ, component speakers, subs, amps, a cap, in dash flip out touch screen DVD/navigation system, 6 disc changer etc.

ANYWAY, so one night I was riding around with some friends and I was in the right lane of a 2 lane road. It was like 10pm and these kids in another car were behind me swerving all over the road. Well they then sped past me but went to swerve into my lane except the kid did it and, if I had kept going straight, would have taken out my front end, so I did the only thing I could, I swerved left and BAM, smacked the curb and the front tire blew and the rim bent. I was close to the bar my mom worked at so I pulled into the parking lot. I told her what happened and that I needed to borrow her car so I could go home and get the spare (I had taken it out when I was installing all my stuff and completly forgot to put it back in). She told me to just take her car and bring all my friends home and she would have her friend tow it home since he was there and was a tow truck driver and I wouldn't have to drive all the way home and all the way back.

So I guess she got off work and decided to go out with some friends for a little bit, INCLUDING the tow truck guy, so then I get a call at 1:30am telling me I better get there because they just caught someone breaking into my car. Now, I, of course, had an alarm on it, but when I hit the curb it knocked some of the elctronics out, including the headlights/tail lights and the car alarm and I told my mom to bring it right home after they closed or I would just go get the tire because I don't wanna leave my brand new car with all of that stuff in it in a dark, empty lot, especially without the car alarm working. She assured me she would but obviously didn't. So the whole way there I'm thinkin, ok, she said they CAUGHT, meaning the saw someone abotu to break in, or MAYBE I have a broken window.

Well, I pull up and the car is WRECKED. They had a huge rock and smashed out the little triangle back window on the driver's side, the driver's side door window, the ROOF was all dented in and smashed, so much so that you could see the bare metal where all the pant had been ripped off by the rock smashing. The inside was worse. Glass everywhere, the whole center console where my stickshift (I refuse to drive automatics, lol) and the cupholders and the lockbox where was like ripped BACK so all the moldings and the leather surrounding the shifter were standing straight up between the front seats. I could see the bare metal of the floor and all my audio wires that went to the trunk for the amps/subs. They got into the trunk and my sub box (which was bolted to the floor) and my amps (whch were mounted on the backs of the back seat) were gone, just the wires were there. They also ripped up my speakers. I had two tweeters mounted in the corner of the dash on each side and they ripped those off and cut the wires. Tey TRIED to get the stereo except in the Eclipse you need to take the whole dash off so instead they took my faceplate, which I ALWAYS take off and put in the lockbox but I didn't beacause it was RIGHT be the bar door and it was never supposed to be left there alone. Not only did they take my faceplate, rendering the whole head unit useless because you can't just BUY a new faceplate, but they took a screwdriver or whatever they had and SMASHED the front of the head unit, the DVD unit, and the EQ, rendering all them useless too, since they couldn't get em out. Then they also took EVERYTHING from the car, my clothes, all my CDs (including rare, out of print punk CDs) and, get this, my PROM pictures :confused:

So now I go through all the police report BS and the insurance company. By this time I had calmed down because my mom was like "your insurance covers all of that stuff, plus you have your recipets so it'll all get replaced for free, sans your deductable" so I'm like, ok, so I don't have my car for a week or two but I DO get this free rental car (paid for by insurance company) and my car will come back in its condition before that night. This is where it gets good (or bad if your me). The insurance company had to send someone to chack out the car and see how much money I was alotted for my lost things. I had ALL of my reciepts from all of the audio system stuff. So I meet the insurance guy at the body shop and give him the reciepts and the police report (which all listed everything down to my prom pictures) and explain to him everything. He goes over the car, which was EXACTLY how it was found, except the glass was cleaned from the driver's seat so the body shop guys could sit in it and move it in. Then he comes to me and goes "OK, so we are looking at about $12 that you are entitled to." I'm like, "hold on, did you just say TWELVE dollars?" and he says "yes, twelve dollars, your stereo was $512 and you have a $500 deductable that you are responsible for, so that leaves $12 that we are responsible for."

I FLIPPED. I' like "NO, YOU are responsible for like five-THOUSAND five-hundred and twelve dollars, you have the police report AND the reciepts for everything that was in there, and I didn't even include all of my CDs, my cellphone charger, my girlfriends cellphone etc etc in that." Now get this, he says "You cannot PROVE that these items were in your car at the time of the left, therefore we cannot award you compensation for them. It is clear that the stereo was in there because, well, part of it still is, but there is no eveidence of the rest. and your speakers and this DVD player are still in there." I said "are you KIDDING me?!?!?! First off, the DVD player is all smashed in, same with the EQ, so they are useless, I didn't INCLUDE the door and rear speakers, I included the dashboard tweeters which are clearly missing because there is a hole where they were mounted and the SPEAKER wire is still hanging there. And you have no record of the amps and subs and cap? There are wires running from my battery all the way through the car into the trunk, where you can clearly see all the wires AND the holes were the items were bolted and screwed into the seats and floor, what, did I run all those wires and drill hoels AFTER the theft, plus get all these reciepts for free somehow, dated from 3 months ago, just to SCAM you guys? Please, the evidence doesn't get any more clear"

To make an already super long story short, I did NOT recieve any other compensation except my stereo was replaced. I paid an INSANELY high monthly rate ($500 a month, swear on my life) for their "full coverage" PLUS I paid the $500 deductable, and after all of that I basically got $12 bucks from them. You better believe I fought my *** off for the full amount, or at least as much as I could possibly get replaced, and they gave me NOTHING. I lost 6 grand in sterio equipment alone, nevermind my CDs and cellphone stuff and sentimental stuff like prom pictures. So, and I apologize for this INSANLEY long and rambling post, the insurance company SHOULD cover anything stolen from your car but they don't always, and I am a CLASSIC case.

BTW, the insurance company was Progressive, I OBVIOUSLY don't reccomend them to anyone. I switched to Geico afterwards and my insurance went down $240 a month with them. Progressive is an extremely overpirced and HORRIBLE insurance company.

Prime Time
04-14-2006, 02:17 AM
Not always the case though. When I turned 18 I traded in my first car (you know, the crappy car everyone gets when the first get their license, lol, mine was a 1986 VW Jetta 5spd) and bought a new car (1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse, it was 2002 when I bought it, only 18k miles :D). Since it was new car and I was financing it I needed full coverage. Well, I'm a big car audio guy, so I quickly went to work building a nice system for myself. I had over $6,000 sunk into the system after everything was said and done. I didn't go crazy with PS2s and XBoxes and stuff, but I did have top of the line head unit, 15 band EQ, component speakers, subs, amps, a cap, in dash flip out touch screen DVD/navigation system, 6 disc changer etc.

ANYWAY, so one night I was riding around with some friends and I was in the right lane of a 2 lane road. It was like 10pm and these kids in another car were behind me swerving all over the road. Well they then sped past me but went to swerve into my lane except the kid did it and, if I had kept going straight, would have taken out my front end, so I did the only thing I could, I swerved left and BAM, smacked the curb and the front tire blew and the rim bent. I was close to the bar my mom worked at so I pulled into the parking lot. I told her what happened and that I needed to borrow her car so I could go home and get the spare (I had taken it out when I was installing all my stuff and completly forgot to put it back in). She told me to just take her car and bring all my friends home and she would have her friend tow it home since he was there and was a tow truck driver and I wouldn't have to drive all the way home and all the way back.

So I guess she got off work and decided to go out with some friends for a little bit, INCLUDING the tow truck guy, so then I get a call at 1:30am telling me I better get there because they just caught someone breaking into my car. Now, I, of course, had an alarm on it, but when I hit the curb it knocked some of the elctronics out, including the headlights/tail lights and the car alarm and I told my mom to bring it right home after they closed or I would just go get the tire because I don't wanna leave my brand new car with all of that stuff in it in a dark, empty lot, especially without the car alarm working. She assured me she would but obviously didn't. So the whole way there I'm thinkin, ok, she said they CAUGHT, meaning the saw someone abotu to break in, or MAYBE I have a broken window.

Well, I pull up and the car is WRECKED. They had a huge rock and smashed out the little triangle back window on the driver's side, the driver's side door window, the ROOF was all dented in and smashed, so much so that you could see the bare metal where all the pant had been ripped off by the rock smashing. The inside was worse. Glass everywhere, the whole center console where my stickshift (I refuse to drive automatics, lol) and the cupholders and the lockbox where was like ripped BACK so all the moldings and the leather surrounding the shifter were standing straight up between the front seats. I could see the bare metal of the floor and all my audio wires that went to the trunk for the amps/subs. They got into the trunk and my sub box (which was bolted to the floor) and my amps (whch were mounted on the backs of the back seat) were gone, just the wires were there. They also ripped up my speakers. I had two tweeters mounted in the corner of the dash on each side and they ripped those off and cut the wires. Tey TRIED to get the stereo except in the Eclipse you need to take the whole dash off so instead they took my faceplate, which I ALWAYS take off and put in the lockbox but I didn't beacause it was RIGHT be the bar door and it was never supposed to be left there alone. Not only did they take my faceplate, rendering the whole head unit useless because you can't just BUY a new faceplate, but they took a screwdriver or whatever they had and SMASHED the front of the head unit, the DVD unit, and the EQ, rendering all them useless too, since they couldn't get em out. Then they also took EVERYTHING from the car, my clothes, all my CDs (including rare, out of print punk CDs) and, get this, my PROM pictures :confused:

So now I go through all the police report BS and the insurance company. By this time I had calmed down because my mom was like "your insurance covers all of that stuff, plus you have your recipets so it'll all get replaced for free, sans your deductable" so I'm like, ok, so I don't have my car for a week or two but I DO get this free rental car (paid for by insurance company) and my car will come back in its condition before that night. This is where it gets good (or bad if your me). The insurance company had to send someone to chack out the car and see how much money I was alotted for my lost things. I had ALL of my reciepts from all of the audio system stuff. So I meet the insurance guy at the body shop and give him the reciepts and the police report (which all listed everything down to my prom pictures) and explain to him everything. He goes over the car, which was EXACTLY how it was found, except the glass was cleaned from the driver's seat so the body shop guys could sit in it and move it in. Then he comes to me and goes "OK, so we are looking at about $12 that you are entitled to." I'm like, "hold on, did you just say TWELVE dollars?" and he says "yes, twelve dollars, your stereo was $512 and you have a $500 deductable that you are responsible for, so that leaves $12 that we are responsible for."

I FLIPPED. I' like "NO, YOU are responsible for like five-THOUSAND five-hundred and twelve dollars, you have the police report AND the reciepts for everything that was in there, and I didn't even include all of my CDs, my cellphone charger, my girlfriends cellphone etc etc in that." Now get this, he says "You cannot PROVE that these items were in your car at the time of the left, therefore we cannot award you compensation for them. It is clear that the stereo was in there because, well, part of it still is, but there is no eveidence of the rest. and your speakers and this DVD player are still in there." I said "are you KIDDING me?!?!?! First off, the DVD player is all smashed in, same with the EQ, so they are useless, I didn't INCLUDE the door and rear speakers, I included the dashboard tweeters which are clearly missing because there is a hole where they were mounted and the SPEAKER wire is still hanging there. And you have no record of the amps and subs and cap? There are wires running from my battery all the way through the car into the trunk, where you can clearly see all the wires AND the holes were the items were bolted and screwed into the seats and floor, what, did I run all those wires and drill hoels AFTER the theft, plus get all these reciepts for free somehow, dated from 3 months ago, just to SCAM you guys? Please, the evidence doesn't get any more clear"

To make an already super long story short, I did NOT recieve any other compensation except my stereo was replaced. I paid an INSANELY high monthly rate ($500 a month, swear on my life) for their "full coverage" PLUS I paid the $500 deductable, and after all of that I basically got $12 bucks from them. You better believe I fought my *** off for the full amount, or at least as much as I could possibly get replaced, and they gave me NOTHING. I lost 6 grand in sterio equipment alone, nevermind my CDs and cellphone stuff and sentimental stuff like prom pictures. So, and I apologize for this INSANLEY long and rambling post, the insurance company SHOULD cover anything stolen from your car but they don't always, and I am a CLASSIC case.

BTW, the insurance company was Progressive, I OBVIOUSLY don't reccomend them to anyone. I switched to Geico afterwards and my insurance went down $240 a month with them. Progressive is an extremely overpirced and HORRIBLE insurance company.

Thanks man. Sorry to hear that story. I have a nice car for my first car. I got it new and everything. I have been thinking about getting a system but don't know too much about it, or how much it costs.

Agent51
04-14-2006, 03:16 AM
Thanks man. Sorry to hear that story. I have a nice car for my first car. I got it new and everything. I have been thinking about getting a system but don't know too much about it, or how much it costs.

Depends on what ya want man. You could go super basic and just get a bunch of stuff from walmart if you wanted. Could prolly get a head unit, amp, sub, and wiring kit for under $400 that way. Even just adding a non factory stereo makes a noticeable difference in sound quality. I will say that a sub and amp is a great addition, for ANY kinf od music. I listen to some rap, but for the most part I listen to Punk and Rock, and it just adds to everything. The advantages are obvious with rap music, because you get the awesome bass hits, but for rock music or anything else it really brings out the drum and bass sounds, kinda lets you hear all 4 aspects of the band instead of just mostly guitar and vocals. If your interested PM me or IM me sometime and lemme know what make/model/year car you have and what you are looking for/price range and I can put together something for ya.

BTW, I forgot to add to my story that the body shop took a MONTH to fix my car because they were so backed up, and this was mid-June si I get it back towards the end of JULY on a Friday, TWO DAYS LATER on Sunday I got hit by a drunk driver and totalled the whole left side of the car. I was driving in the right lane of a 2 lane road and the guy turned left onto the road I was on ON A RED LIGHT and instead of staying in the lane closest to the yellow line he just kept coming into my lane. SMASHED into the right front quarter panel and ripped his bumper off and his front end basically ripped down the whole side of my car, tearing it up with dents and scrapes etc all the way down. Body shop took ANOTHER month to fix it (this time I didn't get charged a deductable, thank god) so I was stuck with a rental car the whole summer instead of my brand new car, lol, it sucked and I figured the car was bad luck so I sold it after that instead of bringing it out to Hawai'i with me like I PLANNED on doing.