PDA

View Full Version : Today is Good Friday

The Rev
04-14-2006, 08:25 AM
Hello All,
Today is one of the holiest days for all Christians: Good Friday. This day represents the day that Jesus Christ sacrificed himself, like a lamb, for us and died on a cross.
As a young Catholic growing up, we weren't even allowed to watch TV or listen to the radio on this day unless they were Christ related.
As a child of 14 and over, we were asked to abstain from meat on Firdays during Lent as a sacrifice. The reason for this as it was explained to me (I may be wrong) was that wages were paid to workers on Fridays (or about that day) and that is the day the family would buy the meat for that week, Since, there was very little refrigeration back them, the meat had to be consumed on that day, so it would not rot. Thus, giving up meat on that specific day represented a true sacrifice.
I will playing guitar at services this evening if my fever goes down. I hope that I will be able to attend. Our group has been practicing for a while.
Although I may not be a Reverend (I play one on this site), I still felt a certain reponsibility to share this part of my life with you all. Mods: if it needs to be moved to the Political Forum, then my apologies. :wink:
I'll be in and out for the rest of the day. Hope you have a great day.
GB-The Rev

njfinfan
04-14-2006, 08:36 AM
Yep - Friday's in Lent to me growing up meant tuna and tomatoes. To this day, even though my husband isn't practicing any religion, we eat tuna melts, tuna sandwiches, etc. Since my mom teaches RCIA and my dad is a deacon, I feel a responsibility to continue this sacrifice.

njfinfan
04-14-2006, 08:37 AM
Hello All,
Today is one of the holiest days for all Christians: Good Friday. This day represents the day that Jesus Christ sacrificed himself, like a lamb, for us and died on a cross.
As a young Catholic growing up, we weren't even allowed to watch TV or listen to the radio on this day unless they were Christ related.
As a child of 14 and over, we were asked to abstain from meat on Firdays during Lent as a sacrifice. The reason for this as it was explained to me (I may be wrong) was that wages were paid to workers on Fridays (or about that day) and that is the day the family would buy the meat for that week, Since, there was very little refrigeration back them, the meat had to be consumed on that day, so it would not rot. Thus, giving up meat on that specific day represented a true sacrifice.
I will playing guitar at services this evening if my fever goes down. I hope that I will be able to attend. Our group has been practicing for a while.
Although I may not be a Reverend (I play one on this site), I still felt a certain reponsibility to share this part of my life with you all. Mods: if it needs to be moved to the Political Forum, then my apologies. :wink:
I'll be in and out for the rest of the day. Hope you have a great day.
GB-The Rev

Hope you feel better later.

dQbell
04-14-2006, 09:29 AM
I grew up Catholic and for quite some time we didn't eat meat on any Friday of the year. From what I gathered, it was about sacrificing something that was a large portion of our diet. It was considered a small sacrifice in respect to what Christ had done for us. What is interesting is my wife grew up protestant and actually follows this tradition closer than I. I think it's great to do something like this to honor and respect what we believe (as long as it doesn't become legalistic).

WharfRat
04-14-2006, 09:40 AM
I Mods: if it needs to be moved to the Political Forum, then my apologies. :wink:

It is my most sincere hope that everyone who responds to this thread, does so in a respectful way that does not turn it into a political debate.

TJamesW_phinfan
04-14-2006, 09:46 AM
I am a Christian though not a very good one but I try. I don't take all of the bible as absolute but more as example and allegory but I do think it has a basic message that Is meant to guide us. I do absolutely believe in God and Christ due to an experiance I had that I can not explain but leaves me with no doubt of their existance. I don't practice or fully understand lent or the good friday activities (perhaps I should) but I respect that you do and I appreciate your sharing this with us in this post. I think I can survive on tuna for a day. :)

njfinfan
04-14-2006, 09:48 AM
It is my most sincere hope that everyone who responds to this thread, does so in a respectful way that does not turn it into a political debate.

:up:

DrAstroZoom
04-14-2006, 11:08 AM

Given the spirit of the original post, I don't think that's a problem, but thanks for the preventitive post anyway!

NaboCane
04-14-2006, 12:24 PM
Thanks for sharing that Rev. I grew up Catholic as well, and we always had fish on Good Fridays, and practiced the same restrictions on music and entertainment.

I'm glad that FinHeaven is a place that makes people feel comfortable about sharing their spiritual beliefs and their rituals.

Pagan
04-14-2006, 12:29 PM
My sincerest wishes for happy holidays to our Christian Finheaveners! :up:

DrAstroZoom
04-14-2006, 12:31 PM
My sincerest wishes for happy holidays to our Christian Finheaveners! :up:

You da man.

Buddwalk
04-14-2006, 02:04 PM
You da man.

:yes:

The Rev
04-14-2006, 02:31 PM
Than you for the nice thoughts. :wink:

WharfRat
04-14-2006, 02:35 PM
Given the spirit of the original post, I don't think that's a problem, but thanks for the preventitive post anyway!

I would tend to agree... normally.
But since the good Reverend mentioned the political implications, I figured I'd pre-emptively cut of any political debate so that it could stay here.

I've seen many well-intended threads, originate in the Lounge, get thrown off course and sent to the PoFo, because someone had to step up on their soap-box. :wink:

WharfRat
04-14-2006, 02:36 PM
Oh... and BTW.... Happy Easter to all of our practicing Christians!

Roman529
04-14-2006, 02:50 PM
Bless you Reverend Fin and hope you get better. I was also raised Catholic and even though I am not a regular church goer anymore I think it is important to remember the reason behind Good Friday. Happy Easter to everyone as well. I think I will have a Tuna sub from Subway today. :tongue:

NJFINSFAN1
04-14-2006, 02:51 PM
Yep, I grew up the same way, and my wife is very much into the church.

I can say, I always hated lent, because I'm a big steak and chicken etc person.

I use to stop at Mcdonalds for a burger before going home to eat. (I know, I'm sad!)

Happy GF to all, and to all a Happy Easter!

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

WharfRat
04-14-2006, 02:53 PM
Yep, I grew up the same way, and my wife is very much into the church.

I can say, I always hated lent, because I'm a big steak and chicken etc person.

I use to stop at Mcdonalds for a burger before going home to eat. (I know, I'm sad!)

Happy GF to all, and to all a Happy Easter!

http://www.aztecrental.com/Easter_Bunny_2.jpg

you look good in that suit :tongue:

NJFINSFAN1
04-14-2006, 02:55 PM
you look good in that suit :tongue:

You know what they say about rabbits!!:rolleyes:

YOU SEE, YOU MADE ME GO THERE!:(

DrAstroZoom
04-14-2006, 02:58 PM
Even though we're not Catholic, Mrs. Z gave up vodka for lent. She's really looking forward to Sunday.

The Rev
04-14-2006, 03:02 PM
Even though we're not Catholic, Mrs. Z gave up vodka for lent. She's really looking forward to Sunday.

:tantrum:

:sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol:

WharfRat
04-14-2006, 03:10 PM

:sidelol: :friday:

Maynard the Hammer
04-14-2006, 03:14 PM
dr. az is the funniest man alive

btw, can someone explain to a non catholic why you cant eat meat on good friday. i thought it was every friday as well (?). my italian family doesnt eat meat on every friday. thank

NJFINSFAN1
04-14-2006, 03:15 PM

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

NJFINSFAN1
04-14-2006, 03:16 PM

btw, can someone explain to a non catholic why you cant eat meat on good friday. i thought it was every friday as well (?). my italian family doesnt eat meat on every friday. thank

It use to be, but then it was only during lent. The church keeps changing it.

On saint Paddies day the church said you could eat corn beef.

I'm catholic and I can't figure it out.:rolleyes:

The Rev
04-14-2006, 03:17 PM

Read the first post brother. That is my explanation. :wink:

Roman529
04-14-2006, 03:20 PM
It use to be, but then it was only during lent. The church keeps changing it.

On saint Paddies day the church said you could eat corn beef.

I'm catholic and I can't figure it out.:rolleyes:

Corn Beef and Cabbage on St Patties Day, with a Pint of Guiness. :eating::xii:

Fin Fan in Cali
04-14-2006, 03:22 PM
Reverend Fin Happy Good Friday, and Happy Easter! I hope you feel better as well!:wink:

DrAstroZoom
04-14-2006, 03:56 PM

I may have to put that in my profile!

Maynard the Hammer
04-14-2006, 03:57 PM
Read the first post brother. That is my explanation. :wink:so giving up meat (tradionally a large part of a meal) is to reflect jesus' sacrifice?

PassRush
04-14-2006, 04:00 PM
Tonight I plan to drink beer and eat non-meat pizza in observance of Good Friday

The Rev
04-14-2006, 04:29 PM
Tonight I plan to drink beer and eat non-meat pizza in observance of Good Friday

1 out of two ain't bad :wink:

The Rev
04-14-2006, 04:33 PM
so giving up meat (tradionally a large part of a meal) is to reflect jesus' sacrifice?

Brother, I am not a theological expert nor will I eve claim to be. Suffice to say that during Lent, Christians are in repetance and sacrificing for all they have done. Not eating meat on Friday just brings the point home by making it something physical. IMO

Roman529
04-14-2006, 05:11 PM

I bet California Pizza Kitchen makes a meatless pizza that rocks!!! :wink:

dQbell
04-14-2006, 05:21 PM

It is primarily Good Friday that catholics do not eat meat. Yes, some traditions do it every Friday of the year, but that probably does not occur as often these days. I'm Italian and grew up Catholic and my mother would always prepare fish on Friday.

I know of two reasons why Catholics do this. They are both similiar. One is simply because of the sacrifice Jesus made by his death on the cross, they believe it is respectful to sacrifice a major portion of the everyday diet (meat). The other is that there used to be huge feasts on Fridays that included different meals etc. Again, Good Friday was a day to abstain from the meats during these feasts in respect to Jesus and his death on the cross.

The Rev
04-14-2006, 06:16 PM
It is primarily Good Friday that catholics do not eat meat. Yes, some traditions do it every Friday of the year, but that probably does not occur as often these days. I'm Italian and grew up Catholic and my mother would always prepare fish on Friday.

I know of two reasons why Catholics do this. They are both similiar. One is simply because of the sacrifice Jesus made by his death on the cross, they believe it is respectful to sacrifice a major portion of the everyday diet (meat). The other is that there used to be huge feasts on Fridays that included different meals etc. Again, Good Friday was a day to abstain from the meats during these feasts in respect to Jesus and his death on the cross.

Very nicely stated.