PDA

View Full Version : A question for Oliver

Dajesus
03-09-2003, 02:09 AM
You said you have a compaq as well. Did they give you a recovery disk? Mine didn't come with one, and the computer supervisor at best buy said compaq and HP aren't giving recovery disks anylonger. I noticed some where in my start meny is sais create recovery disk. Is that the whole thing, i.e. windows xp and so on? If so do you know if it is a 1 disk or 2 disk program?

WharfRat
03-09-2003, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by Dajesus
You said you have a compaq as well. Did they give you a recovery disk? Mine didn't come with one, and the computer supervisor at best buy said compaq and HP aren't giving recovery disks anylonger. I noticed some where in my start meny is sais create recovery disk. Is that the whole thing, i.e. windows xp and so on? If so do you know if it is a 1 disk or 2 disk program?

I don't know how they work it now .... but it used to be a CD (it was always red) that Compaq gave out with the PC.... I am sort of skeptical that Compaq isn't supplying them with new PCs...(everyone else does) unless they figure you can burn your own using the CDR (assuming yours has one). I'd contact compaq and find out for sure.... and if you're supposed to have one, they'll probably send you one, no charge.... at least they used to....

Barbarian
03-09-2003, 04:07 AM
Yeah, they do, as long as you have regestered your computer they will send you a recovery CD, just give them a call and they should be able to hook you up. A few months ago I had to get one because the recovery CD that came with my computer wasn't working.

ohall
03-09-2003, 10:48 AM

I lost mine almost months after I got the PC, and I really do not have use for it anymore. All I do is install XP and then install the software for the hardware I have left that came with the PC. The only thing left of the original Compaq PC is the motherboard, CPU and the case. I have all new stuff in there, so.

Oliver...

iceblizzard69
03-09-2003, 10:57 AM
I lost my recovery disk and last year when I called Compaq wanted me to pay like 20 bucks for a new one. I don't think they give them out for free anymore.

Justasportsfan
03-09-2003, 12:34 PM
Compaq used to until HP bought them out. HP doesn't give recovery cd's.

Why did you get a compaq anyways? I've sold computers for years. Based on my experience this is how I rank them from customers feedback (and I mean IT customers) in terms of reliability.

Laptop
1. Toshiba
2. Dell
3. Sony Vaio

Desktops
1. Dell
2. Sony Vaio

Mac/Apple's will beat any of the above mentioned any day but then they are apple's they only get 6% of the market. It's basically compatibility issues.

HP's and Compaq's are the ones we got the biggest returns.

Marino1983
03-09-2003, 01:44 PM

The newer version of HP's have the recovery software embedded in the hard drive ..... If need be you should be able to access the software through dos but I am not totally positive about that since I have not had any problems to need a recovery ... :D Marino1983

iceblizzard69
03-09-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by justafan

Why did you get a compaq anyways? I've sold computers for years. Based on my experience this is how I rank them from customers feedback (and I mean IT customers) in terms of reliability.

Laptop
1. Toshiba
2. Dell
3. Sony Vaio

Desktops
1. Dell
2. Sony Vaio

Mac/Apple's will beat any of the above mentioned any day but then they are apple's they only get 6% of the market. It's basically compatibility issues.

I got a Compaq laptop two years ago, and when I get a new comp I will make sure it is not a Compaq!

inFINSible
03-09-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by justafan

Laptop
1. Toshiba
2. Dell
3. Sony Vaio

Desktops
1. Dell
2. Sony Vaio

I just got a Vaio/ desk top....:D

The first thing I did was create a recovery disc because that was the first thing to do in the directions...:)

Dajesus
03-09-2003, 10:34 PM
Yeah i figured it out they have a wizard to create the recovery disk. It took 5 disks.

I baught a compaq becuase i got a really great deal on it, I couldn't imagine overpaying for sony or an aliienware. I also get a great deal on the service plans, so if something goes wrong with my comp i get a brand new one. If compaq stops making this model I can actully short out my comp, and get the new upgraded comp. I also get a great discount to add memory, sound card, and I got a great deal on a vid card. I would never buy a dell for 2 major reasons:

1. Service. If something goes wrong with it you spend 8 hours on the phone before you have to send your comp back to them, and then wait 2 weeks untill they send it back. If anything goes wrong with my comp I bring it back to best buy an have a new comp with in mins.

2.Adding hardware is a nightmare in Dell's and Gateway's. I am in charge of customer service and the registers at Best Buy, and i could not tell you how many people I see on a daily basis that tried to put in a CD burner, vid card, sound card, game controller, printer, monitor not baught from Dell or Gateway that crashed their whole system, and were unable to add the new hardware.

Dajesus
03-09-2003, 11:04 PM
Another point about buying a computer. No matter how much you spend, what brand you buy, or even build your own in 3 years the technology will make your computer look obselete. Their will be faster memory, processors, and dirves that your mother board wouldn't be able to handle. To spend $2000 on a sony vaio is just silly, because you will want buy a new one in 3 years. Example my next door neighbor baught a Aleinware for 2 grand in 2000. The compaq I just baught for $400(retail $589) puts his to shame. All I had to do was put in a 512 mem stick for $50, and a sound card for $20, and every aspect of my comp blows his away.

That is the one thing I havge learned from working at Best Buy. I you always buy electronics that are 1 year behind the latest technology you save hundreds to thousands of dollars, and give up very little in performance. If you have the means to throw away money then it doesn't matter for you, but if you are in the average middle class status it is a very valuble lesson.

One note never ever ever ever buy an E-Machine!

inFINSible
03-10-2003, 08:01 AM
Another point about buying a computer. No matter how much you spend, what brand you buy, or even build your own in 3 years the technology will make your computer look obselete. Their will be faster memory, processors, and dirves that your mother board wouldn't be able to handle. To spend $2000 on a sony vaio is just silly, because you will want buy a new one in 3 years. Example my next door neighbor baught a Aleinware for 2 grand in 2000. The compaq I just baught for $400(retail $589) puts his to shame. All I had to do was put in a 512 mem stick for $50, and a sound card for $20, and every aspect of my comp blows his away.

That is the one thing I havge learned from working at Best Buy. I you always buy electronics that are 1 year behind the latest technology you save hundreds to thousands of dollars, and give up very little in performance. If you have the means to throw away money then it doesn't matter for you, but if you are in the average middle class status it is a very valuble lesson.

One note never ever ever ever buy an E-Machine!

I got the vaio for well under a thousand dollars and while you may be right about the technology improving so fast , the only way this thing can be any faster is if it was instant.....

I saw an alienware and I really wanted it but, only for the logo :lol: I damn sure wasn't spending THAT MUCH on a PC.....it was over 2 grand!!!

Justasportsfan
03-10-2003, 10:11 AM
You tend to pay more for the "sony" name and dell's do cost more as well. What price would you put on reliability is up to you. If your computer is nothing more than a plaything instead of a Tool , then get something cheap. Yup, technology changes fast, but how many of us need a Pentium 4 with 2 gig processor and 8 0 gigs HD ,unless your are into graphics and video?

I still have a PIII 500 mhz NEC. She runs perfectly for home use.
As for the Emachine, stay away. The only thing that's got more issues that Emachines is Marino1983. LOL! Just kidding. Emachines are made in Korea. So is Kia, get it? The only Korean brand that's worth anything is Samsung. Even Taekwondo sucks. :D

Dajesus
03-22-2003, 03:28 AM
Originally posted by inFINSible
I got the vaio for well under a thousand dollars and while you may be right about the technology improving so fast , the only way this thing can be any faster is if it was instant.....

I saw an alienware and I really wanted it but, only for the logo :lol: I damn sure wasn't spending THAT MUCH on a PC.....it was over 2 grand!!!

I am bringing this one back from the dead. Infins where did you get a vaio for less than 1000? Please tell me you didn't buy that one with the celleron processor. That would be like putting a speed cap on a ferrari. Honestly the only computers I would look at woule have to have an AMD chip in it. They have 1 model that is under 1000, but only by 50 bucks. Then the thing is the only thing better about the Vaio over my compaq is the processor. It is .33 faster. It came with more gigs of memory, and 20 more gigs of hard drive room, but for the 550 price differince I could add 512 mem stick, witch I did, and throw on a 200 gig hard drive, and still be 250 dollars better off.

Dajesus
03-23-2003, 01:34 AM
Infins did you buy the celleron? I have to know.

inFINSible
03-24-2003, 08:16 AM
Sorry....I just got back to town.........I got the Viao from CC....for $800.....P4 processor.......

Dajesus
03-25-2003, 12:46 AM
Infins how? They don't sell one that is less than 1000. Was it an open box or closeout model?

inFINSible
03-25-2003, 07:39 AM
No.....it was 799.00....no sale or open box.......maybe you are thinking I got a monitor too?? No......tower only.